Bourbon

Jimbaround

8 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Buddy of mine brought me a bottle of this last weekend and I was not super diligent about checking the label

ci-russells-reserve-single-barrel-bourbo

110 proof that was surprisingly smooth. Needless to say snuck up on me a bit..

Russell’s a pretty nice offering.  That and the 10 yr are both good stuff 

Looking for some OGD 114 around HOU, anyone seen some around.  I’m mostly around the inner loop. 

Village Liquor on shepherd always has it for $2 too much.

They are a little high on a lot but they always have something interesting.
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, huge said:

Village Liquor on shepherd always has it for $2 too much.

They are a little high on a lot but they always have something interesting.

Solid Huge, will visit them tomorrow!

Need to stop hitting my store pick 1792 Full Proof and savor it awhile. 

Went to a whiskey dinner with the Michter’s folks on Tuesday night. It was interesting to hear their story and how they’ve transitioned from sourcing to contract distilling to making their own.

But more interestingly, it was at a new whiskey bar and restaurant that was opened by a guy who works for one of our business partners. The selection is about as good as I’ve seen. He even has a bottle of Michter’s Celebration. I’ll be getting to know him better.

"Breathed in" Stagg Jr tonight. Popped the cork one month ago. Sample last week. I think I've cracked the code. Really good juice. I'm not going to claim credit for this one, I think Buffalo Trace killed it with the latest Stagg Jr release. 

Poor Man's Pappy next week to get it ready for USC. I believe one month is the preferred mixing time. 

I'll probably buy another bottle of IW Harper 15 next week for the quality juice and decanter bottle. Then I'll decant a bottle of Stagg Jr for a month. I will of course report back. 

Everybody, please let you Stagg Jr breath, run, or decant a little bit for you drink it. I'm sick of this awesome bourbon being besmirched. 

Finally tried some Russels Reserve 10 Year last night. Been meaning to try it for a while. I really didn’t gleam anything special about it. It didn’t have much of a nose. It did get better the more I drank. It was an easy drinker. I wouldn’t turn it down, but wouldn’t seek it out.  Just nothing really complex. I think the McKenna 10 year is noticeably better. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Buffalo Trace is going next.
Doing another batch of manhattans in my other barrel.
750 of Pikesville Rye with 375ml of vermouth and about 20 dashes of bitters.
2-3 weeks in the barrel and it’s incredible

I'm not that daring, I'm planning to rotate bourbons and ryes. Hopefully I'll get a Bourye effect. 

Back from a trip to Amarillo. Ate at the Public House. Good food and about as good a Bourbon selection as you're going to find in the area. That's not saying much. They didn't have Pappy 12 for $42.00 a pour, but plenty of THH for $120.00. Explains why they still have THH. Tried the ELT Seasoned Wood. It tasted like its name, terrible. Easily the worst of that line that I have had. Heads up on Angels Envy Rye finished Caribbean Rum Casks. That shit is terrific. I have had a Specs rep trying to sale that to me for a while, telling how good it was. I would always go, righhht. I am picking me up one the 1st chance I get. Props to Christopher at the Public House. He would let me try it, before I would buy it.

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

New Riff released their own Bourbon finally. It’s amazing people are hyping up a 4 year old bourbon. 

Yeah about what you would expect for a 4 year bourbon. Their once a month distillers tour is pretty great though, you get to hang out with the master distiller and get a bunch of pours of basically everything they have going including OKIs. 

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I made Poor Man’s Pappy this evening. 60:40 Weller Antique to Weller 12 ratio. I’m going to let it decant for a month, and drink it during USC weekend. 

Edit: I might let it rest until the OU game. I read an article written by a bourbon sommelier stating you should decant or let it sit for a minimum of two months. 52 days is close enough for me. 

I reluctantly bought a Weller Antique single barrel, store pick for $80. I figured it was an alright price if it’s what Deb is charging. I’m not driving to Tulsa to save $60. 

Ill probably drink that bottle during USC weekend. 

31 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Can we be friends?

I don’t see why not. 

My schedule: 

Maryland : Larceny, personalized  barrel

Tulsa  Larceny again (it’s Tulsa, so who wants leftovers) 

USC : Weller Antique, Single Barrel/Store Pick

TCU : Blanton’s Store Pick

K State : Stagg Jr, decanted 3-4 weeks 

OU: Poor Man’s Pappy 

Baylor : Buffalo Trace, personalized barrel

OK State: Sazerac Rye, personalized barrel

WVU : Old Scout Single Barrel , 12 Year (you have to drink a “West Virginia” bourbon on WVU weekend) 

Tech : Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, 12 Year (I know it’s a nice bottle for such an inferior school, but I work at the epicenter of Tech School Pride, so this win would be especially sweet)

ISU : Sazerac Rye, personalized barrel

KU : Stagg Jr, decanted (its close enough to Thanksgiving to drink something good)

• Like 5

I made Poor Man’s Pappy this evening. 60:40 Weller Antique to Weller 12 ratio. I’m going to let it decant for a month, and drink it during USC weekend. 

Ive read recently about “decanting”. Is there a particular vessel for this? Do you leave it uncovered? I made poor man pappy and put it in an old school crystal decanter but never left it open. It’s really good but I honestly can’t tell too much difference than drinking each separately. Weller 12 is probably my favorite bourbon.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Ive read recently about “decanting”. Is there a particular vessel for this? Do you leave it uncovered? I made poor man pappy and put it in an old school crystal decanter but never left it open. It’s really good but I honestly can’t tell too much difference than drinking each separately. Weller 12 is probably my favorite bourbon.

I just use old bottles of IW Harper 15. 

Definitely keep the cork in.  

Edited by billfromlaketravis