Bourbon

Jimbaround

I keep a bottle of Buffalo Trace and rotate Bulleit, Rebel Yell and Hogs3 for regular drinking. Eagle, Willet, Knob Creek and 1792 are my specials.

I've found my sticking point is $50. Anything over that and I start thinking too much instead of enjoying the drink.
Good for you, there’s plenty great (not good) below $50.

45 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Weller Antique 107 is the absolute best under $30. 

46 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Weller Antique 107 is the absolute best under $30. 

It absolutely is.   I even enjoy Old Grandad 114 which is still half solid for the $$.  

27 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd say the Parker's is probably the worst of the lot, but  would try them all if it's within your means.

BFLT, it truly depends on which years you’re referring.  Neon,  I would scratch Parker’s 8yr Malt, but the other Parker’s releases are solid and I wouldn’t discount them.  Without knowing the years, I’d sip Sazerac since it’s the only rye and then Parker’s, Lot B & OFBB16 in that order.

6 minutes ago, Whiskyteer said:

BFLT, it truly depends on which years you’re referring.  Neon,  I would scratch Parker’s 8yr Malt, but the other Parker’s releases are solid and I wouldn’t discount them.  Without knowing the years, I’d sip Sazerac since it’s the only rye and then Parker’s, Lot B & OFBB16 in that order.

I completely agree. Parker's is really good, just not as good as the other three options in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The bar at my hotel has Pappy Lot B, OFBB 2016, Parker Heritage, and Sazerac BTAC. 

Which should I choose? 

You wont make a bad selection. Parker Heritage is terrific. Is the Sazerac the 18yr, then you should start there.

Barrel guys, a couple questions: 

1) Is it best to age the cheap, lower proof stuff? Larceny and regular Elijah Craig seem about right. 

2) How long should I age it? A month seems like the consensus. 

3) How do blends, like Poor Man’s Pappy fare in the barrel? Seems like they don’t turn out well from the reviews. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 7/21/2018 at 4:36 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Ranking those according to my opinion:
1) Sazerac 18
2) OFBB
3) Lot B
4) Parker Heritage

I went with the OFBB2016. It was very good. $30

The Parkers Heritage was Promise of Hope. It’s $28

They have all the Blood Packs. One of them, don’t remember was $40

Strange. Wild Turkey Diamond was $40

4 Grain was $20

Might get that 4 grain now 

Edited by Neonmoon

I would go back and drink more if it’s the Promise of Hope bottle. Holy mother of god that was a great release. Probably the first great harder to find bottle I ever purchased.

a5b5a7e5929b82c85461e01e09b75208.jpg

It was really fucking good. I’m definitely going to try and sneak away from the family again

So I lost track of this thread since the move from the place in my avatar.  Just uncorked a bottle of Angel's Envy tonight.  First time sipping it at home.  Only other time I was at a bar and had a few shots after I had other drinks so I was not paying as close of attention.

I really like this stuff.  Might be my new favorite on the sweeter side.  Has a fruity flavor like there is some fruit wood in the barrel.  Was thinking it reminded me of a Scotch I like so I looked it up and yeah, the port barrel finish must remind me of something I've had before.  I'll have to try at my Father's house this week.  He has a lot of Scotch, he picked up that habit when we lived in Scotland.

Edited by TexasEd

On 7/22/2018 at 3:37 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Barrel guys, a couple questions: 

1) Is it best to age the cheap, lower proof stuff? Larceny and regular Elijah Craig seem about right. 

2) How long should I age it? A month seems like the consensus. 

3) How do blends, like Poor Man’s Pappy fare in the barrel? Seems like they don’t turn out well from the reviews. 

For mini barrels, I like aging cocktails like a manhattan or boulivardier.  For the manhattan, I just age rye and vermouth and add the bitters when serving.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, huge said:

Any Tulsa area recommendations for stores to check for good bottles?

I had awesome luck at 

Deep Discount Liquor

6525 E 51st St, Tulsa, OK 74145

Picked up several bottles of OWA when I was there in June.  And I hit almost every other Mom and Pop store I passed and ended up with a couple Blanton's.  

Paid $22 for the 750ml OWA and $28 for the 1.75L.   Blanton's ran about $60.

• Like 1

Anyone seeing Weller CYPB yet? The northeast is getting it this week. I’ve been watching closely on 2ndary bc no one knows how to price it. Some brave soul put a bottle up for auction on BSM and sold for $375 tonight. Unfuckingreal for a gimmick 8-year bourbon bc of the weller brand association.