Bourbon

Jimbaround

20 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The 2 liter pre charred barrel steps: 

1) Fill with Kentucky Limestone water, and let sit for one week. This should seal up the leaks. 

2) Rinse with limestone water. Empty. Allow a day or two to dry. 

3) Fill with a handle of Larceny. Age for a month. 

Did I get it right? 

Larceny is already damn good. Give us the details when done.

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

Are "store pick single barrel" versions of stock bottles really better than the basic stock bottle?  I recently found a store pick single barrel of Buffalo Trace and it's great.  I recall stock Buffalo Trace being fine but I don't drink bourbon all the time so I usually buy higher end $50+ bottles.  But this store pick was $30 and I think it's a lot better than regular Buffalo Trace.  Am I crazy?  Did I fall for a marketing gimick?  

The way the store pick single barrel system works is two ways:  1.  The retail store/whiskey group or restaurant/bar account will travel to the distillery (at their expense and sometimes subsidized by the liquor company) to select a barrel in the rickhouse or taste samples in a tasting room.  The best experience is thieving and tasting barrels in the rickhouse with a master distiller.  2.  The other method involves a local/regional sales rep/ambassador who brings you a briefcase full of samples from which to choose.  After one sample has been spoken for, the salesperson will move on to the next account until all samples have been chosen.  The majority of storepicks are done this way.  

To answer the question of which version is better, the store pick will always win out.  However, those storepicks in which the account selects the barrel at the distillery will always reign supreme.  In Texas, there are certain retail and hospitality accounts that get access to honey barrels due to either buying power or strong relationships with distilleries.   Find out who travels, who does the tastings and you will likely end up with some good juice.

11 hours ago, Whiskyteer said:

The way the store pick single barrel system works is two ways:  1.  The retail store/whiskey group or restaurant/bar account will travel to the distillery (at their expense and sometimes subsidized by the liquor company) to select a barrel in the rickhouse or taste samples in a tasting room.  The best experience is thieving and tasting barrels in the rickhouse with a master distiller.  2.  The other method involves a local/regional sales rep/ambassador who brings you a briefcase full of samples from which to choose.  After one sample has been spoken for, the salesperson will move on to the next account until all samples have been chosen.  The majority of storepicks are done this way.  

To answer the question of which version is better, the store pick will always win out.  However, those storepicks in which the account selects the barrel at the distillery will always reign supreme.  In Texas, there are certain retail and hospitality accounts that get access to honey barrels due to either buying power or strong relationships with distilleries.   Find out who travels, who does the tastings and you will likely end up with some good juice.

Stop by Barnett's in Waco.  Largest whiskey collection in the state (over 650 right now).  Up to about 6 private/select labels at any given time.  

I bought another barrel off of Amazon today to try and cool some Stagg Jr. We'll see how it tastes after a month in the barrel. I'd like to age some 60/40 Antique/Well 12 Poor Man's Pappy for a month,  and have it ready for OU. I'm going to have to plan this out carefully, or buy more barrels. 

I'm drinking the Stoli Kentucky Owl Rye tonight. I'm saving the 2017 batch for a special occasion. I'll post a review soon. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, huge said:

I cant imagine what would go through my head if I saw a BTAC in the wild for retail.  Actually I do know.

Related image

Seriously.  A local shop once posted a pic on facebook so I called and said I can be there in 5 minutes.  He said they posted the picture before opening and someone got it the second they opened the door.  I honestly don't know how to get any antique collection without knowing someone well in the business.

I'm starting to have issues finding Buffalo Trace on the shelves.  Spec's hasn't had it on their shelves for weeks and has been holding some in the back as allocated.  Twin's shelves are starting to empty without being replaced.  Talked to a manager at Twin and he said that BT was now on allocation and they could no longer just order it - they get what they are given.  

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm starting to have issues finding Buffalo Trace on the shelves.  Spec's hasn't had it on their shelves for weeks and has been holding some in the back as allocated.  Twin's shelves are starting to empty without being replaced.  Talked to a manager at Twin and he said that BT was now on allocation and they could no longer just order it - they get what they are given.  

What city? Houston is pretty flush. It's everywhere except Total Wine. 

A couple Spec's have store pick single barrels. 

black maple hill was sold not too long ago and the reviews have not been too good about the batches since the new owners took over.  I had a bottle, and have been searching high and low for another until I heard this.  that bottle I had won taste tests, (in my own establishment (with connoisseurs that have been to Kentucky) against willet, er, michters, eht, hudsons, etc.   everybody preferred black maple hill over all the others (except blantons).

Without divulging sources and methods, any insights you can share on how to pull off such a feat?  Thx 

Honestly, I would say that it has mostly been luck/timing. There is a big store with a number of locations where they play “where’s waldo” from time to time.

As an aside, I haven’t gotten a unicorn bottle from this, but there are also a couple stores where I like the managers and chat them up. I don’t ask them to set anything aside for me or “what’s in the back??” Just general bourbon talk, which I think they appreciate. They get enough “Do you have any Blanton’s? No?...later.” all day long that I think just BS’ing over bourbon is a welcome for them.

Whether or not I score something big, I think I make it pretty clear that my end game isn’t to use them for allocated bottles. I’ve gotten some fantastic recs from them, which I appreciate not just being pointed towards a bottle based on employee incentives coughspecscough. Kinda hand-in-hand with that, I drop in 1-2x a week and rarely walk out without buying something. I don’t buy a $60 bourbon every trip, but I make most of my beer/wine/other liquor purchases there.

• Like 1

Stoli Kentucky Owl is still good. The Carters have to helping in some capacity still. Stoli couldn't get it this right. 

I'm still pissed they lowered the proof and increased the price, but it's a good whiskey. It surpasses the rye category for me. Smooth as hell, nice flavor profile, and a very nice finish. 

3 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

Honestly, I would say that it has mostly been luck/timing. There is a big store with a number of locations where they play “where’s waldo” from time to time.

As an aside, I haven’t gotten a unicorn bottle from this, but there are also a couple stores where I like the managers and chat them up. I don’t ask them to set anything aside for me or “what’s in the back??” Just general bourbon talk, which I think they appreciate. They get enough “Do you have any Blanton’s? No?...later.” all day long that I think just BS’ing over bourbon is a welcome for them.

Whether or not I score something big, I think I make it pretty clear that my end game isn’t to use them for allocated bottles. I’ve gotten some fantastic recs from them, which I appreciate not just being pointed towards a bottle based on employee incentives coughspecscough. Kinda hand-in-hand with that, I drop in 1-2x a week and rarely walk out without buying something. I don’t buy a $60 bourbon every trip, but I make most of my beer/wine/other liquor purchases there.

Interesting. I think Total Wine blows Spec's doors off in the wine and beer department. Selection and price, and the online order in advance service is extremely convenient.  My Total leaves a lot to be desired in the bourbon category. 

I have a good relationship with some of the Spec's guys. One is holding any Antique they get for me despite my plebeian point total. The problem is, Smith Street has their pick of the litter and every other location gets the scraps despite being in much more affluent neighborhoods.Which demonstrates to me that bars are first in line, which doesn't make any damn sense. I've been to plenty of bars with untouched bottles of Pappy on the shelf because people don't want to pay a $100 a pour. 

Things could interesting if Twin Liquors pushes their way inside the Loop. The Austin guys seem very satisfied with their selection. Anything to make Spec's sweat. 

I’m drinking a Four Roses Single barrel store pick. It’s a 10 year and delicious. It’s also almost 120 proof. Maybe I’m a pussy but anything over 110 and I got to put in a big ice cube. It really helped. 

I think my sweet spot is 90-100 proof and 10-12 year for great neat. Weller 12 is my favorite. 

Do you people drink the higher proofs neat? How much of a gaping pussy am I?

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m drinking a Four Roses Single barrel store pick. It’s a 10 year and delicious. It’s also almost 120 proof. Maybe I’m a pussy but anything over 110 and I got to put in a big ice cube. It really helped. 

I think my sweet spot is 90-100 proof and 10-12 year for great neat. Weller 12 is my favorite. 

You're definitely a pussy. We should feed you to the pigs. 

You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig."

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Stoli Kentucky Owl is still good. The Carters have to helping in some capacity still. Stoli couldn't get it this right. 

I'm still pissed they lowered the proof and increased the price, but it's a good whiskey. It surpasses the rye category for me. Smooth as hell, nice flavor profile, and a very nice finish. 

Hate to say I told you so. Told you so. 

I didn't hate saying it that much after all.

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Bourbon should be consumed however you want to consume it.  Unless you want to mix it with coke.  Then you just fucking suck.

Seriously though, I will typically drink the really really good stuff neat, but generally I will put an ice ball in my glass, especially when it's as hot as it is now.

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Stoli didn’t own it 11 years ago.

Bourbon should be consumed however you want to consume it.  Unless you want to mix it with coke.  Then you just fucking suck.
Seriously though, I will typically drink the really really good stuff neat, but generally I will put an ice ball in my glass, especially when it's as hot as it is now.
Growing up, we drank mostly Jim(Dr. Pepper) & Jack(Coke). Once I upped by bourbon game(thanks to this thread), I only drink it with water/ice. Along the way I noticed I don't drink as much, enjoy the alcohol and don't wake up feeling bad.
  • Like 1

Growing up, we drank mostly Jim(Dr. Pepper) & Jack(Coke). Once I upped by bourbon game(thanks to this thread), I only drink it with water/ice. Along the way I noticed I don't drink as much, enjoy the alcohol and don't wake up feeling bad.

So what’s your regular and what’s your special?

So what’s your regular and what’s your special?
I keep a bottle of Buffalo Trace and rotate Bulleit, Rebel Yell and Hogs3 for regular drinking. Eagle, Willet, Knob Creek and 1792 are my specials.

I've found my sticking point is $50. Anything over that and I start thinking too much instead of enjoying the drink.