Bourbon

Jimbaround

4 minutes ago, FigurelliPwC said:

My brother-in-law and I did a blind bourbon taste test with today’s purchases (had my sister set it up.). We both nailed all 4 surprisingly. I had my top 4 as:

OF1920
ER10
OF Statesman
Calumet Farm

B-in-law had CF 2nd and ER 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never had the Calumet Farm. How did you like it?

21 minutes ago, FigurelliPwC said:

My brother-in-law and I did a blind bourbon taste test with today’s purchases (had my sister set it up.). We both nailed all 4 surprisingly. I had my top 4 as:

OF1920
ER10
OF Statesman
Calumet Farm

B-in-law had CF 2nd and ER 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a feeling your tastes will change over time with ER being one and 1920 being two. The last two can be mixers.

Just my humble opinion.

4 hours ago, Smax said:

I saw some matching plates a few weeks back

20180516_132216.jpg

I need those. Mrs. Brown Water wasn't a fan of that print in the dining room. If she's against having a steak with that on the wall then I'm sure she'll love it staring back from the plate.  

On 6/30/2018 at 7:33 PM, Neonmoon said:
Anyone ever had Belle Meade single barrel? Supposedly MGP sourced. Wonder if it’s as good as Old Scout single barrel 

I keeping meaning to buy some Belle Meade, but I have yet to do so.

I know that @capnamerca celebrates the BM catalogue. I bet he’s got a good take on the SiB for you.

Edited by Horn21
tapa @ mentions are whack

I finally picked up a bottle of the 1920 yesterday after the glowing reviews here as well as local store manager raving about it.

Damn. This is some fantastic bourbon. I haven’t had any of the other OF Whiskey Row bourbons, but I’m not sure I need to after having this. I was leery when the nose was described to me as “medicinal...but in a good way.” Somehow that’s true. And the flavors are outta sight. Thanks for the rec, you surly assholes.

This is absolutely going to be a mainstay on our shelf at the house. I can see why some of you guys think this could be allocated before too long. I’m already tempted to keep 3-4 bottles on standby just in case it gets hard to find all of a sudden.

• Like 1

I finally picked up a bottle of the 1920 yesterday after the glowing reviews here as well as local store manager raving about it.

Damn. This is some fantastic bourbon. I haven’t had any of the other OF Whiskey Row bourbons, but I’m not sure I need to after having this. I was leery when the nose was described to me as “medicinal...but in a good way.” Somehow that’s true. And the flavors are outta sight. Thanks for the rec, you surly assholes.

This is absolutely going to be a mainstay on our shelf at the house. I can see why some of you guys think this could be allocated before too long. I’m already tempted to keep 3-4 bottles on standby just in case it gets hard to find all of a sudden.

Yea, I keep at least 2 at home. Same with Pikesville Rye and Henry McKenna SiB.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

What are the flavors por favor ?  

I can indeed confirm that the Belle Meade is some tasty brown water. Specs pretty regularly does a store pick single barrel that's in the $59 range - that's been a party favorite for people who like bourbon but don't know bourbon. The 11y bourbon is excellent, although more peaty that I'd expected. I've had several people ask if it was actually some sort of sweetened scotch, rather than bourbon. It's weird. I vastly preferred the 10y. Both are impossible to find, natch. 

2 hours ago, mbpcb said:

yes, retail for 2018 release is $199

Yes that’s a 75% increase from the ‘17.  Proof has dropped from 110 to 101.  If y’all aren’t aware, Dixon Dedman sold to Stoli.  Thanks Stoli.   He Stolit like he meant it.  

16 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

What are the flavors por favor ?  

Good question.  This sounds weird, but I feel like it's really well-balanced and I didn't have anything in particular stand out above the others.  I found myself thinking it was pretty nutty, and then dark chocolatey, and then some deep caramel.  Unlike something like Lagavulin where I know exactly what it is that I love about it, with the 1920 I keep thinking "man, this is just really really delicious."  I think they nailed it with the 115 proof.  It's heavy and has a lot going on without it being overpowering.  I think adding a small piece of ice opened up some different flavors, but I also really enjoyed it neat.

10 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

Good question.  This sounds weird, but I feel like it's really well-balanced and I didn't have anything in particular stand out above the others.  I found myself thinking it was pretty nutty, and then dark chocolatey, and then some deep caramel.  Unlike something like Lagavulin where I know exactly what it is that I love about it, with the 1920 I keep thinking "man, this is just really really delicious."  I think they nailed it with the 115 proof.  It's heavy and has a lot going on without it being overpowering.  I think adding a small piece of ice opened up some different flavors, but I also really enjoyed it neat.

Much o-bliged. A small piece of ice usually helps me with the higher octane stuff to kill the alcohol burn without chiling the pour.  Does it fall into the rye family ? May pick up a bottle before heading to the beach this week with the son and his buds.  We've got a mixed bag of bourbon and scotch drinkers in the group.

17 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

I saw a 1835 limited reserve on the shelf today. Does anyone have an opinion on this. I don't really care for Texas Whiskeys, but have heard the 1st batch was really good.

Never had it. Never heard anyone say it was good. Assumed it was cheap sourced swill wrapped up in a Texas Pride costume 

2c7645220fd7a09b9adab823b3816b4d.jpg

Birthday was yesterday, neighbor cracked his gold for me, did a taste test.  His gold bottle was dumped in 2010 on his birthday, thought that was cool.

I preferred the gold and he preferred the OG.

He is going to BVI in a couple weeks and thinks he can bring back 2 more.

Edited by huge
the Spanish inquisition
  • Like 2

PSA

Sunnys Liquor and Wine on West Alabama in Houston has a good bourbon selection.  At fucking ridiculous prices.  Check this shit out.

Michters 10 - $400

Blood Oath 3 - $200

Rock Hill Farms - $100

Peerless Rye - $180

Jefferson Reserve $80

All Whistle Pig varieties at 100% mark up.  Black Prince $1000

and the coup de grace - Eagle Rare $80

It’s hot. Been making peach bourbon smashes.

Make a simple syrup and while it simmers throw in a sprig of fresh mint and a knob of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thin.

In a 16 oz glass muddle a half a diced fresh peach (skin on), an oz of the syrup, and a couple mint leaves.

Add 1.5 oz bourbon, fill the glass with crushed ice, top off with good ginger ale, and stir.

Fucking delicious. And a panty dropper.

ive been tossing my swill bourbon in coke zero to thin the herd and combat the heat for weekend day drinking. just polished off willet pot still and now going to get rid of the michters american whiskey bottle, which i hate

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mbpcb said:

ive been tossing my swill bourbon in coke zero to thin the herd and combat the heat for weekend day drinking. just polished off willet pot still and now going to get rid of the michters american whiskey bottle, which i hate

Don't know if I will ever finish the willet pot still.

On 6/9/2018 at 3:02 PM, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

My top recommendation is to look for 1792 Full Proof store picks. That’s a cheap bottle that’s up there with the 2017 GTS if you get a good store pick. I got this one today. It’s phenomenal.

DCBE0_D14_402_C_4594_A204_F38_CA7_C62_B3

Found one today.  I thought I remembered someone commenting about it, but I did not pick it up.  Grabbed a bottle of slightly overpriced ER instead.  Not the GOT version, but I'll have to go back and get it.  

8 hours ago, huge said:

PSA

Sunnys Liquor and Wine on West Alabama in Houston has a good bourbon selection.  At fucking ridiculous prices.  Check this shit out.

Michters 10 - $400

Blood Oath 3 - $200

Rock Hill Farms - $100

Peerless Rye - $180

Jefferson Reserve $80

All Whistle Pig varieties at 100% mark up.  Black Prince $1000

and the coup de grace - Eagle Rare $80

They should be arrested for trying to sell Peerless for $180. It's not worth $18. 

5 hours ago, mbpcb said:

Good luck tomorrow. 

You should pack your head in ice in advance of that Willet Pot Still hangover. I wish they'd stop selling that sourced junk. Their distilled juice is very good for a young bourbon. 

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It sucks some people in Houston can’t find Eagle Rare because it’s everywhere in Austin. 

Its not hard to find in Houston. I've seen at least twenty or so on shelves in the last week or so. Most Specs usually has them.

16 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Kingwood

Thanks. 

In somewhat related note, any good, quick whiskey grabs near the airport in Louisville? One of my co-workers travels up there pretty regularly. 

Off the top of my head, Old Forester and Michter's are the only distilleries within the Louisville city limits. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis