Bourbon

Jimbaround

16 hours ago, Horn21 said:

Unfortunately, I do not have any personal experience in the matter, but I have been told that this year’s BB is a big step back from previous years. I’ve also heard that the 1920 outdoes the BB on the latest release.

I disagree with both of those takes, but1920 is really great bourbon.

just hung out with a neighbor who knows i like bourbon and went to his liquor cabinet and pulled out johnnie walker black and said "hey is this any good, i've never opened it"... i said "yeah" in a high pitched voice not wanting to be rude, and he goes back to his cabinet and says "this is the only other bourbon i have..." and it was an ETL store pick. my jaw dropped to the floor and i spent 10 minutes telling him what a gem he had! his wife said "really? i've been mixing that with coke for years!". needless to say i had a healthy pour and it was great!

Anyone try Bob Dylan's Heaven's Door Bourbon?   The manager at my local Twin Liquors offered me a bottle - apparently on allocation.  Heaven's Door also has a blended whiskey and a rye.  I didn't get any because there are other bourbons I would rather spend $50 on.  

tn-bourbon.png?format=500w

16 hours ago, mbpcb said:

just hung out with a neighbor who knows i like bourbon and went to his liquor cabinet and pulled out johnnie walker black and said "hey is this any good, i've never opened it"... i said "yeah" in a high pitched voice not wanting to be rude, and he goes back to his cabinet and says "this is the only other bourbon i have..." and it was an ETL store pick. my jaw dropped to the floor and i spent 10 minutes telling him what a gem he had! his wife said "really? i've been mixing that with coke for years!". needless to say i had a healthy pour and it was great!

So your neighbors are Aggys. Good luck with that. 

• Like 1

I sampled the following at Whiskey Cake in Katy today :

EH Taylor Four Grain 

Rock Hill Farms 

IW Harper 15

Obviously IW Harper finished third but it was still quite good. I was skeptical, but it's worth the buy at MSRP. Pretty complex for 86 proof. I think the hate comes from the low proof and the Diageo ownership, but it's pretty good. 

Rock Hill was better than entry level Blanton's. I was impressed. 

Four Grain. Yeah, that's good juice. It would compare pretty favorably to Pappy 10 and 12. It definitely punches above its weight. I killed the bottle. RIP. I apologize to my Longhorn brethren, living in Big College Station (Katy). 

I counted at least 8 bottles of Elmer at $10 a pour. I would jump on that hard if I lived in Katy.

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

22758ee35974cf0ee0e2edbe52496a54.jpg

Stopped at Debs. I asked if they had RHF. They did. Only one but it was being held for someone. Some asshole called ahead.

But saw this little guy and picked one up. There was two on the shelf

They have tons of eagle rare if anyone is looking

And yet all my regular places in Houston are consistently out.

9 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

And yet all my regular places in Houston are consistently out.

Any Spec's in Houston has Eagle Rare f you ask nicely. They received some trucks last week. If you locate some handles, please let me know.

Is Pikesville better the Baby Saz? Other than Weller 12, Antique , and Elmer nothing can touch Baby Saz for value. 

On 6/21/2018 at 6:53 PM, Jimbaround said:

Well shit, Britney is letting me down. I haven’t gotten a call yet.

I have a couple extra bottle of Blanton's. Spec's doesn't pay for shit. If I dropped a bottle of Blanton's with Britney, that has to move me up the list right? 

I need to get right with the Bourbon Duchess for the Fall Releases. 

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Anyone try Bob Dylan's Heaven's Door Bourbon?   The manager at my local Twin Liquors offered me a bottle - apparently on allocation.  Heaven's Door also has a blended whiskey and a rye.  I didn't get any because there are other bourbons I would rather spend $50 on.  

tn-bourbon.png?format=500w

Age statement? IF it's over eight years on both the bourbon and rye, it should be pretty good. 

So your neighbors are Aggys. Good luck with that. 

they’re eastern european and drink vodka and red wine for the most part. pretty incredible red wine that they generously share... i told him i’d start introducing him to bourbon and ryes when he comes over the f it piqued his interest.

Well you're in the mountains, as long as you're not drinking prison hooch, you should have a good week. 

I haven't tried Russell's 10 or the the rye. I'm working my way through the rotation. Old Forester 1920 is my go to during the dry season. 

It' just a matter of time before 1920 is allocated. It's too good and too strong not to be. 

3 minutes ago, mbpcb said:

they’re eastern european and drink vodka and red wine for the most part. pretty incredible red wine that they generously share... i told him i’d start introducing him to bourbon and ryes when he comes over the f it piqued his interest.

I would offer up some rubles and clean them out. 

14 minutes ago, FigurelliPwC said:

6cef19ea3628931169c1e1b66b9f446b.jpg

Bourbon list at dinner last night (Iberian Pig in Atlanta)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highway robbery on the Elmer, but a solid list. $7 a pour on Weller Antique is quite reasonable.

For a Whistle Pig newbie, what's a good jumping off point? I don't want the overpriced, finished in wine barrel nonsense. 

On 6/21/2018 at 5:57 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Excellent haul today. I nabbed the last bottle of Rock Hill Farms at Costco, and picked up a bottle of Blanton’s and two bottles of Eagle Rare at another store. 

I discovered one of wife’s passwords is EagleRare. Time to check the inventory. 

"The mice" got into my Weller Antique reserve. Be safe out there fellas. 

Started the night with RY10. No Sipping on some Elijah Craig Small Batch. Such a great bourbon for the price 

My brother-in-law and I did a blind bourbon taste test with today’s purchases (had my sister set it up.). We both nailed all 4 surprisingly. I had my top 4 as:

OF1920
ER10
OF Statesman
Calumet Farm

B-in-law had CF 2nd and ER 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk