Bourbon

Jimbaround

To Specs credit they did have a “Jim Bowie Alamo Rebel Flag Frio River Tangerine infused Texas Bourbon Nolan Ryan Limited Edition Pecan Whiskey” available. 

And three salesmen asking if you if you need help, in order to push said “Jim Bowie Alamo Rebel Flag Frio River Tangerine infused Texas Bourbon Nolan Ryan Limited Edition Pecan Whiskey” on customers.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ERhine said:

And three salesmen asking if you if you need help, in order to push said “Jim Bowie Alamo Rebel Flag Frio River Tangerine infused Texas Bourbon Nolan Ryan Limited Edition Pecan Whiskey” on customers.

I’m convinced that they each have to make a certain sales per hour quota or they get waterboarded in back. 

5 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

I’m convinced that they each have to make a certain sales per hour quota or they get waterboarded in back. 

Whiskeyboarded with Jim Bowie Alamo Rebel Flag Frio River Tangerine infused Texas Bourbon Nolan Ryan Limited Edition Pecan Whiskey.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Peeling back the onion on Spec's Houston: 
My guy told me today he didn't have any bottles of Kentucky Owl Batch 8 in store because their inventory is only available to "wholesale customers" i.e. bars and restaurants. 
So when you wonder how Whiskey Cake can have a dozen bottles of Elmer T. Lee, and 6 bottles of Pappy 15, you have your answer. It's what we all suspected, but it's the first time I've ever heard a Spec's employee admit to it. 

I'm slightly surprised my Total Wine didn't have any Batch 8 behind the glass. If any of y'all are looking for Kentucky Owl Rye Batch 2, they have it behind the glass at full MSRP.

Mueller Twin has Kentucky Owl 8 on display behind the counter right now and seems to have no problem keeping it in stock, despite dollar sale.

Well, fuck my life.

For the first time I’m unable to get a bottle of blantons on demand. Before today, any time I’ve checked 4-5 stores within 15 mins of my house would have several bottles in stock.

Now there isn’t a bottle within a 90 min drive.

be92d700fedc2c6095ec4444b69b5283.jpg

Edited by heso

3_D3_CB6_D5_9_E01_4_D05_9_E2_E_1_B91_F4_Going with Roebling Rye tonight. I’m a fan. I ended up with two bottles of it. I love the high proofed ryes, so this is right in my wheelhouse. Here’s the description. 

Roebling Reserve is a straight rye whiskey, blended from selected mgp barrels.  This blend was done by a private club in Kentucky and sold to its members, with some bottles hitting shelves in the area. This rye whiskey is spicy and minty, with a superb and strong nose.  It’s 121 proof, with only 412 bottles in the blended batch. 

Edited by PappyVanVinceYoung
  • Like 2

Just now, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

Going with Roebling Rye tonight. I’m a fan. I ended up with two bottles of it. I love the high proofed ryes, so this is right in my wheelhouse. Here’s the description. 

Roebling Reserve is a straight rye whiskey, blended from selected mgp barrels.  This blend was done by a private club in Kentucky and sold to its members, with some bottles hitting shelves in the area. This rye whiskey is spicy and minty, with a superb and strong nose.  It’s 121 proof, with only 412 bottles in the blended batch. 

You're balling at a whole 'nother level or living in a holler. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You're balling at a whole 'nother level or living in a holler. 

I’m working a deal that could be truly special. I don’t want to jinx it, so I’ll leave it at that. Been trying to get it done the last couple weeks. It is a multistage transaction. If all goes well, part one goes down this weekend. Will share details if it works out. 

21 minutes ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

I’m working a deal that could be truly special. I don’t want to jinx it, so I’ll leave it at that. Been trying to get it done the last couple weeks. It is a multistage transaction. If all goes well, part one goes down this weekend. Will share details if it works out. 

Best of luck.If some crumbs fall on the floor, please let me know. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If you drank 1.5 L + of bourbon last night, I'm impressed you're not dead. 

After the Horns lose, I'm usually in bed by 10 pm. 

I’m not that awesome. There was about 3 fingers left in each. I started working into the Pikesville, and I must say it was delightful. I think I will have a few glasses of that tonight if my liver is up for it. 

I barreled some Sazerac Rye last night. Same barrel as the Larceny. Should be interesting. 

If I could do it over again, I probably would have barreled Elijah Craig on the first run. I wouldn't put anything over $50-$60 in a barrel, but it's pretty low risk. The end product is going to be better than what you started with. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How should I enjoy my staying home for the USC game savings, half bottle of Garrison Brothers Balmorhea or WhistlePig Single Barrel 10 year Store Pick? 

The age statement on Balmorhea has me shook, 2 years for a bourbon? Yikes, way to hit the minimum there Dan. 

He aged it a whole 2 years?

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm not going to defend a Garrison Bros product, but there's nothing inherently wrong with 4 year old bourbon. I've had plenty of 4-6 year old bourbon that was very good, and lots of 15-20 year old bourbon that tasted like a white oak stave. 

So Garrison Brothers was founded in 2005. Let's say it took Dan 4 to 5 years to get off the ground. Why can't they produce at least a 8 year bourbon? And please don't tell me some Texas heat, ages faster BS. 

Just make a 8 year under $75 and everybody will be happy.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Garrison Brothers was founded in 2005. Let's say it took Dan 4 to 5 years to get off the ground. Why can't they produce at least a 8 year bourbon? And please don't tell me some Texas heat, ages faster BS. 

Just make a 8 year under $75 and everybody will be happy.

To my taste the next good Texas Bourbon I try will be the first and I like Garrison less than most others. 

BUT

I'm not a fan of age statements and there's nothing special about 4 although 6-8 is usually the sweet spot.  It's ready when it's ready, and a few more years in the barrel won't make bad young whiskey good. 

I am born and raised in Texas and I love my state.  We do a lot of things really well (BBQ, Mex food, seafood, football (well, we used to), etc.).  But state pride just isn't enough to drink bad whiskey or wine.  I haven't had any Texas whiskey or wine that's been worth the price.   It's for the wine thread, but Texas wine is way worse than Texas whiskey. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, thestud said:

Witherspoon’s, Balcones True Blue cask strength and 100 proof and even Rebecca Creek .36 special. Hell I’d even take Balcones Baby Blue.

With picks like that, it makes me think that you just want a smooth, easy-drinker above everything else. That's fine, but please just stick to mixing your chocolate cherry old fashioneds instead of ruining the thread with your terrible taste and shitty opinions.

For the record, Cowboy bourbon is great. I enjoy it significantly more than Blanton's, so I'm not sure where you came up with a $60 value for it. The rest of the Garrison line is overpriced trash, though I have not tried the Balmorrhea. I also like the Blue Corn, although not as much as Greenspoint.

• Like 1

I am born and raised in Texas and I love my state.  We do a lot of things really well (BBQ, Mex food, seafood, football (well, we used to), etc.).  But state pride just isn't enough to drink bad whiskey or wine.  I haven't had any Texas whiskey or wine that's been worth the price.   It's for the wine thread, but Texas wine is way worse than Texas whiskey. 
I feel the same about CO whiskeys. Not worth the$.