Bourbon

Jimbaround

7 hours ago, HookEm said:

My wife wants to get a bourbon loving client a bottle of Texas whisky. She was thinking of the Balcones True Blue. First is this a good idea. Second, get the cask strength or 100 proof. Third, where can it be found?

Good choice. Goody Goody usually has it. Be prepared to pay 0.75 Garrison Bros for it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HouTex said:

I am born and raised in Texas and I love my state.  We do a lot of things really well (BBQ, Mex food, seafood, football (well, we used to), etc.).  But state pride just isn't enough to drink bad whiskey or wine.  I haven't had any Texas whiskey or wine that's been worth the price.   It's for the wine thread, but Texas wine is way worse than Texas whiskey. 

Completely agree.  There is drinkable whisky, but the price point does not give the quality you expect for the price.  Texas wine is just a hot mess.  I have found a glass here or there that isn’t OK (and yes, I’ve tried the “good” Texas wines everyone recommends), but the wine here just isn’t good.

I'm not saying it's the entire reason, but paying $200 for a Texas bourbon has some "look at me" element to it.  Which is fine, but it reaches a point of being a little aggy-jimbo fisher-y.  We get it.  You paid out the ass for a good bottle of bourbon.  How many times do we have to hear about it?

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I pulled the trigger on my first bottle of WhistlePig, Single Barrel 10 Year Store Pick. 

I’ve been very bourbon heavy lately; it’s time to mix in a good rye. 

I've had two bottles of that, both store picks. They were drastically different. The first one was very mediocre, the second was incredible. Luckily I bought both bottles around the same time or I never would have gotten a second bottle.

4 hours ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

I've had two bottles of that, both store picks. They were drastically different. The first one was very mediocre, the second was incredible. Luckily I bought both bottles around the same time or I never would have gotten a second bottle.

Where did you buy the second bottle?

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Where did you buy the second bottle?

It was from Blackwell's. I wouldn't recommend buying anything from them now though. I think there was a time a few years ago when they were just slightly more expensive than your local stores. They gouge people now though. It's insulting.

3 minutes ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

It was from Blackwell's. I wouldn't recommend buying anything from them now though. I think there was a time a few years ago when they were just slightly more expensive than your local stores. They gouge people now though. It's insulting.

I hope you didn’t buy the first bottle from Total.

RE: Blackwells, Gary has a terrific palette, but he is guilty of overcharging. I’m still looking forward to his store pick Blanton’s and Weller Antique. 

58 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I hope you didn’t buy the first bottle from Total.

RE: Blackwells, Gary has a terrific palette, but he is guilty of overcharging. I’m still looking forward to his store pick Blanton’s and Weller Antique. 

It wasn't Total. It was from a restaurant or bar that I got at Goody Goody.

Good (or bad) news on the Blackwell's OWA pick. It's out ... at the reasonable price of $100.

9_7_2018_4_04_24_PM.png

2 hours ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

It wasn't Total. It was from a restaurant or bar that I got at Goody Goody.

Good (or bad) news on the Blackwell's OWA pick. It's out ... at the reasonable price of $100.

9_7_2018_4_04_24_PM.png

I bought mine at $80. It’s too high, it seems to be the going rate outside of Tulsa. 

My goodness, that's a great first pour on WhistlePig Single Barrel 10 year Store Pick. Kentucky Owl Rye Batch 2 is about a 93-94, and my current pour is about a 90-91 in my opinion.The nose/first taste is a little burn, not very smooth. The intermission and finish is really good. 

WhistlePig is a different mash bill for sure. The rye is very up front, not hidden behind corn. It tastes different from a Kentucky or MGP sourced rye, it tastes like Canada. I'm no Jim Murray, but you can pick up on milder summers, colder winters.

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I think I have unicorn fatigue. I’m sick of hunting for Weller, Blanton’s, BTAC, etc. I think I’m just gonna be happy with Larceny and Eagle Rare.

I saw a Blantons on the shelf in Austin yesterday. Weller 12 can be found when it’s released but it’s scooped up pretty quick. BTAC is reserved for wholesale/big money and usually not released to gen pop. I agree on Eagle Rare. Picked up another bottle yesterday. It’s a great everyday bourbon. I would kill for ER 17 but unless I pay secondary, it’s probably not going to happen.