Bourbon

Jimbaround

I'm sure most of you in Houston have received the bad news from your local Spec's guy. 

There's not much to say other than I hope they they're skimming on their taxes and the Feds/TABC shut them down. 

The flavored whiskey rack keeps getting longer and longer. Those people have no shame.

Shoot me an pm if the good stuff starts popping up at Debs and Twins in Austin. I might to make bi-monthly runs. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm sure most of you in Houston have received the bad news from your local Spec's guy. 

There's not much to say other than I hope they they're skimming on their taxes and the Feds/TABC shut them down. 

The flavored whiskey rack keeps getting longer and longer. Those people have no shame.

Shoot me an pm if the good stuff starts popping up at Debs and Twins in Austin. I might to make bi-monthly runs. 

What’s the bad news? No BTAC this year?

From breaking bourbon:

While it is the lowest proof George T. Stagg ever produced (Stagg is typically over 130 proof and often over 140 proof), it is still a high proof bourbon relatively speaking at 124.9 proof. What’s interesting is the lack of a mouth-sweltering proof, something I typically enjoy about George T. Stagg, allows the depth of flavors to really come through without a mask of heat. It reminds me a little of the 2013 release, which clocked in at 128.2 proof, however 2018’s is a more characteristic George T. Stagg flavor profile than 2013 was. Admittedly, those seeking a mouth-scorcher may be disappointed, but those who enjoy George T. Stagg and are open to a more subtle delivery of flavor will find this year’s release tremendously enjoyable.

The bourbon craze is really pissing me off. I can't find ANYTHING fun these days. Haven't seen Eagle Rare on the shelves in months, no EH Taylor Single Barrel, and certainly no chance of getting something like Blantons or W12. I'm also not interested in spending $200 for Kentucky Owl or the like ... 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 8:30 PM, Neonmoon said:

Tried the Knob Creek store pick. It had good flavor but a little too hot for my taste. Went back to the Eagle Rare. 

Let it breathe for a while and it opens up.  When I first opened mine I didn't like it at all.

Rearranged the bar earlier and I’m down to 10 different bourbons, 12 bottles total in different amounts from unopened to almost gone.

Four Roses Single Barrel Store Pick
Weller Special Reserve (2)
Old Weller Antique (2)
Weller 12 Year
Fiddler Heartwood
Black Maple Hill (the new stuff)
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year
Blanton’s
Blanton’s Gold
Eagle Rare

And a Bulleit and Midwinter Night’s Dram in the rye column.

And I wouldn’t have most of them if I could still find Weller 12.

Rearranged the bar earlier and I’m down to 10 different bourbons, 12 bottles total in different amounts from unopened to almost gone.

Four Roses Single Barrel Store Pick
Weller Special Reserve (2)
Old Weller Antique (2)
Weller 12 Year
Fiddler Heartwood
Black Maple Hill (the new stuff)
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year
Blanton’s
Blanton’s Gold
Eagle Rare

And a Bulleit and Midwinter Night’s Dram in the rye column.

And I wouldn’t have most of them if I could still find Weller 12.

I’m afraid to organize my cabinet. I don’t want to know how many bottles I’m at.
  • Like 3