Bourbon

Jimbaround

Drink it how ya like it dammit.

Never underestimate the value of having a friend who owns a whiskey bar:

377c239ce16fb422ea886031a04fe99a.jpg

509d83e8df8c6d7a77e888c8810bb7f1.jpg

92673da1758237f03358335c64d95196.jpg

That Hirsch is incredible. This year’s WLW is excellent as always. The CYPB was just ok. Didn’t open the Four Roses.

This guy has everything ever made it seems, and he puts Blanton’s Gold in his top 5.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Which one did you like the best?

Literally just picked them up and I'm back at work, so will report back.

My previous go tos have been buffalo trace, eagle rare, blantons and bookers for different price points.  Since those are all apparently impossible to find I thought I'd try something new.  Couldn't decide in store so just grabbed all 3. 

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

That Hirsch is incredible. This year’s WLW is excellent as always. The CYPB was just ok. Didn’t open the Four Roses.

This guy has everything ever made it seems, and he puts Blanton’s Gold in his top 5.

Looks like Whiskey Cake? 

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’ve never seen Blanton’s gold or SFTB being poured stateside in a bar....is this his home bar?

3 hours ago, drt said:

Based off recommendations here, I picked up EH Taylor small batch, four roses single barrel, and a McKenna 10 year all for just over $30 each. Sound about right?

I can't find EHT small batch or 4R single barrel for anything close to $30 where I live, so kudos to you.  I see generally see the McKenna B-i-B for $25-30.

I’ve never seen Blanton’s gold or SFTB being poured stateside in a bar....is this his home bar?

It is now. He started the place as a side gig (he’s a sales VP for an IT services company) and because he needed somewhere to store his ridiculous collection. He didn’t charge us for anything you see there. I don’t think he can sell the Gold legally because it didn’t come through distribution.

6 hours ago, drt said:

Literally just picked them up and I'm back at work, so will report back.

My previous go tos have been buffalo trace, eagle rare, blantons and bookers for different price points.  Since those are all apparently impossible to find I thought I'd try something new.  Couldn't decide in store so just grabbed all 3. 

Good choices all IMO.  Similar favorites of mine 1792, Four Roses Small batch or SB, Angel’s Envy, and Lexington

I just overpaid for some Weller 12. I would say it felt dirty but I just don’t see it on the shelves anymore. And it’s my favorite bourbon, so yeah capitalism. 

On another note, BTAC should be dropping before Thanksgiving. I gives us..one chance in three. 

kidding, no chance in hell 

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Why does decanting change the flavor? Aren’t you just moving it from one glass bottle to another?

In my experience, decanting/oxidation can and will cool it off some. Smoothes out the rough edges. 

I'm not a "proof chaser", I don't like the distiller cutting the bourbon unnecessarily. If something is great at 120 proof, don't cut it make it good at 90 proof.  

10 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:
10 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I just overpaid for some Weller 12. I would say it felt dirty but I just don’t see it on the shelves anymore. And it’s my favorite bourbon, so yeah capitalism. 

On another note, BTAC should be dropping before Thanksgiving. I gives us..one chance in three. 

kidding, no chance in hell 

That's a bit of a drive for me, but thanks!   :)

Stagg and Handy last year. My spending habits haven't changed at all. This is my basement. My pie in the sky dream is WLW or Old Rip Wan WInkle.

Handy 2017 was amazing. There's not a better 6 year old rye/bourbon on this planet. That stuff will literally pop in your mouth. 

I hit a Happy Hour at Morton's last night. The bourbon injustices I witnessed, I can't even...

I saw a glass full of ice and some Blanton's. Bartenders should be trained to not to pour this. 

I had a Manhattan with Evan Williams Black. Pretty good when you pair it with a filet. 

A couple reviews: 

- Old Scout Single Barrel 12 Year. I wanted to like this more. I think they were shooting for Elijah Craig Barrel Proof and they came just short.Good B+ bourbon, but not worth the 80 bucks I paid for it. 

The early returns for Elijah Barrel Proof are really good. I think I'm done drinking Small Patch Elijah Craig. It dampens the greatness of ECBP. 

3 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Another day, another bottle...

Hoping this gets me through the Tech game.

df794715dcce7f254a0fceb99de09217.jpg

Also got to try this yesterday for the first time. Apparently it’s Black Maple Hill in a different bottle and, at $27, you absolutely cannot complain.

3e563b6d00ec2939d2ed9c5128e359d7.jpg

I'd call you a Spec's sock, but you didn't include 1835 Honey Texas Whiskey. 

Have at it hoss. 

• Like 2

Another day, another bottle...

Hoping this gets me through the Tech game.

df794715dcce7f254a0fceb99de09217.jpg

Also got to try this yesterday for the first time. Apparently it’s Black Maple Hill in a different bottle and, at $27, you absolutely cannot complain.

3e563b6d00ec2939d2ed9c5128e359d7.jpg

Pic didn’t come thru for me but if it’s the same as the new purple label BMH then $27 is too much.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I hit a Happy Hour at Morton's last night. The bourbon injustices I witnessed, I can't even...

I saw a glass full of ice and some Blanton's. Bartenders should be trained to not to pour this

I had a Manhattan with Evan Williams Black. Pretty good when you pair it with a filet. 

Ice shamer. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I saw a glass full of ice and some Blanton's. Bartenders should be trained to not to pour this. 

A couple reviews: 

- Old Scout Single Barrel 12 Year. I wanted to like this more. I think they were shooting for Elijah Craig Barrel Proof and they came just short.Good B+ bourbon, but not worth the 80 bucks I paid for it. 

The early returns for Elijah Barrel Proof are really good. I think I'm done drinking Small Patch Elijah Craig. It dampens the greatness of ECBP

I think that’s my favorite bourbon.