Bourbon

Jimbaround

14 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

Finishing my first pour of the OF 1920 that I picked up last night.

This stuff is fantastic. Lot of flavor for 93 proof and the char blends really well without being overpowering.

I’m not able to edit in tapa for some reason, but this is the 1910 (not the 1920)

• Like 1

Earlier in the thread I had asked the board the question of building the best stocked home bar. And though I spent far more then I should have I now have a nicely stocked bar that I believe can accommodate almost anyone’s pallet. 

Unfortunately the side effect of this adventure has been that I have turned into a damn collector. And really don’t like busting the seal on any expensive bottle unless I have two. I treat the damn bottles like they are Fabrege’ eggs. And don’t have enough years in front of me to drink it all. 

But now that I am bitten by the collector bug and my ass is constantly out hunting anything you guys post that I either don’t have, or have never seen. This is not how I thought my retirement would go.

Collecting is a bad habit. You don’t even enjoy the very thing the interested you in the first place. Finding it has replaced drinking it.

Earlier in the thread I had asked the board the question of building the best stocked home bar. And though I spent far more then I should have I now have a nicely stocked bar that I believe can accommodate almost anyone’s pallet. 
Unfortunately the side effect of this adventure has been that I have turned into a damn collector. And really don’t like busting the seal on any expensive bottle unless I have two. I treat the damn bottles like they are Fabrege’ eggs. And don’t have enough years in front of me to drink it all. 
But now that I am bitten by the collector bug and my ass is constantly out hunting anything you guys post that I either don’t have, or have never seen. This is not how I thought my retirement would go.
Collecting is a bad habit. You don’t even enjoy the very thing the interested you in the first place. Finding it has replaced drinking it.

All you have to do is open them. Then you won’t worry about drinking them.
Bottles aren’t meant to stay sealed. Open them.
Share them and enjoy.
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 9:35 PM, Dutchrudder said:
On 11/10/2018 at 4:20 PM, billfromlaketravis said:
Looks a lot like the Goody Goody on Woodway in Houston. 

That is correct. They had a drawing for 6 bottles Thursday night, had a small tasting area setup for various other alcohols. I got the 6th one, first time I got to buy OFBB!

I might have a problem if I can identify the exact location of liquor stores based on generic background shots. 

17 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

you lucky sonofabitch.  how in the hell did you do that?

My wife used to work next to a huge liquor store here and last year I had her ask the manager about the BTAC collection and he was able to get a bunch of bottles for me and some other shagsters at good prices (the above two were $200/each).  

Reached back out last week and he called yesterday with these two for the same price.  Done and done. 

Don’t be that guy. Look- I’ve done a bit of stocking up on scarce items that I like to keep around (Notably my favorite bourbon, W12) so I’m a little guilty of it too, but here’s a tip: If you find a chase list bottle and you don’t intend to give it to a friend, drink some. And be honest with yourself about whether you like it. I don’t like Thomas Handy Sazerac, for example. Others love it. That’s the whole point of doing this.

The very first thing you ought to do when you get home is open it up and pour yourself a drink.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Heading down to Austin for the game on Saturday and doing the Balcones tour on the way.  They are releasing their Wheated Bourbon on Friday so planning on grabbing a bottle or 2 at the distillery.  Looking forward to the tour.

It's a really neat tour.  Good folks there 

The wife wanted me to pick up a bottle of bourbon for her Dad's birthday.  I like giving Col. EH Taylor as gifts because of the container they come in, so I picked up a bottle of small batch.  Then, using my wife's shopping logic, I picked up one for me because I could save $4 per bottle by buying two.

• Like 2

I just made an unbelievably good old fashioned with 3/4 tsp cane sugar, 3 dashes angostura bitters, one 3” piece of orange peel and 1.75 oz of Willett 4 yr 114.4 proof rye with a luxardo cherry garnish.  I feel a little bit bad using the WFE rye in an old fashioned, but it’s cold and I needed a Kentucky hug.  

• Like 1