Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Interesting acquisition. MGP was of course already distilling for Penelope. I'm not sure that brand alone is worth $100 million+. The market seems pretty luke warm on it. 

Just for fun, I looked up what distillers are public and private. 

Public: 

-MGP traded on Nasdaq. 

- Brown-Forman traded on NYSE. 

Private: 

- Sazerac 

- Heaven Hill

I would say the families that own them are worth some serious coin. 

Oof. I'd probably stick with the woodford or Maker's. Knob 9 is good but I'm sure it's significantly overpriced. If you're on an expense account, now you know which way to go.

Thanks, didn’t realize the Texas offerings were so bad. Might stick with tequila.
  • Like 1

Thanks, didn’t realize the Texas offerings were so bad. Might stick with tequila.

There are a decent amount of good Texas offerings IMO; even from those brands in the pic you posted. Unfortunately none of what I would call a solid choice from those brands was visible. What city are you in?

9 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Hotel bar. Anyone see anything they like? I’m not too up to speed on the Texas offerings these days. I’ve had the Balcones Single Malt back in the day and liked it.

7c8d7876c3874d9c9be14f73b59e7fe0.jpg

Baby Blue and Diet.  Or maybe just go to bed early.  

• Haha 1

There are a decent amount of good Texas offerings IMO; even from those brands in the pic you posted. Unfortunately none of what I would call a solid choice from those brands was visible. What city are you in?

Downtown Dallas, but it was a hotel bar. Tequila options kinda sucked too.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This reminds me that I recently opened and ran through my very last bottle of New Old Stock Elijah Craig with the 12 year age statement.  I'm still sitting on a cache of bourbon from the 2015-2016 pre-facebook bourbon group period, but it's dwindling slowly. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

45 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This reminds me that I recently opened and ran through my very last bottle of New Old Stock Elijah Craig with the 12 year age statement.  I'm still sitting on a cache of bourbon from the 2015-2016 pre-facebook bourbon group period, but it's dwindling slowly. 

I don't think it's a big deal, yet, but I imagine it'll cause a run on A123. Already a pretty tough bottle to acquire, so again probably not a big deal. 

If they're going to shake us down for $100+ for Elijah Craig Cask Strength store picks, I wish they'd make a lot more. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RichUT said:

We picked up one that was ~130 proof and I really didn’t love it. It was super oak forward in an unpleasant way. Some of the guys in the group liked it but I won’t be going back to it.

I have a 124 and 130.7, we will see how they stack up with 105.1.  I’m a sucker for what most people consider too much oak so I’ll probably like it.  I’d rather have a dry, less sweet old bourbon than catch any bit of young grain notes. 

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

More Rebecca Creek Spanish Oak this evening. Probably my favorite new release at the moment. I’ve talked it up to so many friends, I lost half the bottle to samples. 

Went to local place. They quote special releases from a book behind the counter.  "39.95."  I grabbed that bottle quicker 'n  hell.

Scans at register. $59.95. My retailer is legit local folks who don't fuck around on pricing and shit.  She offered to let me have it at the initial quote, but I insisted on paying the higher price. They shouldn't get fucked because of someone's clerical error, IMHO.

For a moment...I was amazed at their low price.  LOL.  Still happy i got it, but have not opened it yet.

Edited by slorch

12 hours ago, USCATX said:

I’m still buying these, picked up two more last week.  I’m convinced now that it’s the best Texas aged product of all T time. 

F38AF765-0206-4B28-8B2B-901946F955D2.jpeg

Oak had it pretty recently at MSRP. A friend called to ask if he should buy it. Of course I said yes, but he bought the 12 instead. Big mistake. 

IMG_5723.thumb.jpeg.64210f81055bc346e6789a8d83afc2eb.jpeg

Edited by billfromlaketravis

29 minutes ago, USCATX said:

I have a 124 and 130.7, we will see how they stack up with 105.1.  I’m a sucker for what most people consider too much oak so I’ll probably like it.  I’d rather have a dry, less sweet old bourbon than catch any bit of young grain notes. 

I don’t know the sweet spot is in the proof. This one was 101.6 and it was great. Purchased at a Spec’s in Houston. 

IMG_0914.thumb.jpeg.ce57c486dda6ce9374942af1c4fbee4f.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm drinking the last of my Bowman SiB. I'm not sure how I got here. 

I saw a few rumors on the internet that Bowman was experienced a glass shortage, and couldn't distribute for a few months. Probably nonsense, but I haven't seen on the shelf in a few years. I was up there in December, but Fredericksburg is not fun to get to without a car. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm drinking the last of my Bowman SiB. I'm not sure how I got here. 

I saw a few rumors on the internet that Bowman was experienced a glass shortage, and couldn't distribute for a few months. Probably nonsense, but I haven't seen on the shelf in a few years. I was up there in December, but Fredericksburg is not fun to get to without a car. 

It was out the last few weeks, new green label.  

Felt crafty today.
Turned out pretty good.
6f3377f4e42e02513e541e030b3af5ab.jpg

If you feel like making another at some point just LMK - Would make a killer gift for a friend and I’d be happy to pay.

Anyway, speaking of paying, if there are those of you interested in Cigar Blend at this price LMK. I grabbed two, as I still feel it’s one of the most unique bourbon experiences that can be had, even at this price point.

1bfeb43094daac4435cfdaab6f654f37.jpg

2 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

If you feel like making another at some point just LMK - Would make a killer gift for a friend and I’d be happy to pay.

Anyway, speaking of paying, if there are those of you interested in Cigar Blend at this price LMK. I grabbed two, as I still feel it’s one of the most unique bourbon experiences that can be had, even at this price point.

1bfeb43094daac4435cfdaab6f654f37.jpg

That’s close to MSRP right? I’m in.