Bourbon

Jimbaround

10 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

And, sigh, because it’s Indiana inside. Texas distillate still sucks. 

But it kind of disproves the “Texas climate doesn’t work for bourbon” theory, right?  I know I thought maybe it was too hot and not enough cold but maybe the distillates just suck.  That seems easier to fix than the climate. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Still Austin, IronRoot and Balcones Single Malts.

Go Stars!!!
08f81ab3a67d40774cbfab3fe624df38.jpg

Meh. Still never enjoyed any balcones. But still Austin is impressing. 

Well minus a certain groups pick I tried. 

Ironroot best thing going in Texas though. 

13 hours ago, USCATX said:

But it kind of disproves the “Texas climate doesn’t work for bourbon” theory, right?  I know I thought maybe it was too hot and not enough cold but maybe the distillates just suck.  That seems easier to fix than the climate. 

Climate is the biggest driver. And those 16 year MGP barrels were aged in Indiana. Not in Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It feels like all the Texas distillers would agree that any barrels aged for more than 5 years here would almost be undrinkable. 

No doubt. It just isn’t going to happen. Take Rebecca Creek Double barrel for example. They rebarrel MGP and age it briefly in Texas (most of its life in Indiana). And it adds so much damn Texas funk that it completely distorts the MGP profile (it ain’t the wood). But people dig it. Makes it highly complex. 

Also take another extreme….Indian whiskey. I love me some Amrut. You should look up the yield on that shit after 4-5 years of aging. It’s completely nuts how much the angels take. 10-12% per YEAR. So barrel s less than half full at maturity. THEN consider that their premium line, aptly named “Greedy Angels”, is aged 10 YEARS!  Suffice to say it’s quite limited. Lmao. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

No doubt. It just isn’t going to happen. Take Rebecca Creek Double barrel for example. They rebarrel MGP and age it briefly in Texas (most of its life in Indiana). And it adds so much damn Texas funk that it completely distorts the MGP profile (it ain’t the wood). But people dig it. Makes it highly complex. 

Also take another extreme….Indian whiskey. I love me some Amrut. You should look up the yield on that shit after 4-5 years of aging. It’s completely nuts how much the angels take. 10-12% per YEAR. So barrel s less than half full at maturity. THEN consider that their premium line, aptly named “Greedy Angels”, is aged 10 YEARS!  Suffice to say it’s quite limited. Lmao. 

Yep, the ideal way to use Texas climate is to barrel finish here. What could take a couple of years in Kentucky/Indiana will only take 2-5 months in Texas. 

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Yep, the ideal way to use Texas climate is to barrel finish here. What could take a couple of years in Kentucky/Indiana will only take 2-5 months in Texas. 

We are sending our fine Texas honey to KY/TENN for them to use in finishing their bourbon. I say fuck that. We should be buying Indiana shit and finishing our own here. It’s OUR damn honey. 

I don’t get the goal of making a great whiskey from Texas.  Kentucky (Tennessee?) makes great product.  There’s a reason why it’s worked out that way.  Take wine.  Texas will never make good, much less great, wine.  That’s ok.  We do other shit really well. 

21 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I don’t get the goal of making a great whiskey from Texas.  Kentucky (Tennessee?) makes great product.  There’s a reason why it’s worked out that way.  Take wine.  Texas will never make good, much less great, wine.  That’s ok.  We do other shit really well. 

Jack makes great whiskey. You can remove the question mark. 

I've only had the Still Austin musician and find it quite boring. 
Congrats to them for making a drinkable Texas distillate, but IMO there is no complexity or memorable tasting notes. Value isn't there either. 

That’s a bit like saying you’re not impressed with Willet because you drank Pure Kentucky. The Musician is their entry level every day shelf bottle that is meant to always be available. You need to try the Cask Strength and a number of their distillery reserve series to fully grasp the progress they have made in a very short amount of time.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

@GreenspointTexas do you have a review of Garrison Bros Lady Bird? 

Not yet, but ill buy a bottle once it hits distro

if its anything like Laguna Madre, Balmorhea, or Cowboy, itll be fantastic

unpopular opinion, but there are good Texas wines, good Texas distillates, and good Texas beers/ciders… you just have to know where to look. 

I just cant get into people paying a fuck ton of money for stuff distilled in a giant metal shed in the midwest. You arent a fucking distillery unless you distill onsite. At least Balcones and Garrison Bros have a fucking ethos

I happen to love the high rye MGP profile more than most bourbon options (outside of brown forman). I also know that every bourbon now costs a fuck ton, so I have to be much more discerning with capital allocation / selection. But that big Midwest metal shed makes some really good shit if you know where to look. Will be trying the Still Austin cask strength this weekend and will report back if I’ve found a decent Texas distillate. I’ve been trying. Will keep trying. 

Just back from KY, and Heaven Hill is a series of giant metal sheds. And they produce more than anyone. So volume in and of itself is not an argument against quality. Much of what HH makes can be hot garbage too. 

Edited by Bert Orange
  • Hook 'Em 2

Bert - Did you get a chance to try the new HH20 Mellow Corn Granddaddy while you were there?

I have the opportunity to buy one, but at a whopping $1650 it would have to be “best blowie of your life” good for me to really entertain.

The reviews seem to fall in the “good not great” area, so I’m seeking opinions. I like the but I’m not convinced…

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

unpopular opinion, but there are good Texas wines, good Texas distillates, and good Texas beers/ciders… you just have to know where to look. 

I just cant get into people paying a fuck ton of money for stuff distilled in a giant metal shed in the midwest. You arent a fucking distillery unless you distill onsite. At least Balcones and Garrison Bros have a fucking ethos

No judgment GP. More Heaven Hill, BT, and MGP for the rest of us.

Lady Bourbon is an interesting bourbon. Finished in honey infused barrels, and then cognac barrels. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Bert - Did you get a chance to try the new HH20 Mellow Corn Granddaddy while you were there?

I have the opportunity to buy one, but at a whopping $1650 it would have to be “best blowie of your life” good for me to really entertain.

The reviews seem to fall in the “good not great” area, so I’m seeking opinions. I like the emoji535.png but I’m not convinced…

It’s kinda meh. That said they regularly go for half that. 

23 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

The reviews seem to fall in the “good not great” area, so I’m seeking opinions. I like the emoji535.png but I’m not convinced…

I'll help you out.  No bourbon is worth that much.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

If you haven’t had HH17, I highly suggest that over the 20. It’s vastly superior. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Absolutely not at that price. Boutiquey bottled a couple different HH corn whiskeys with age statements that routinely go for $100 or less or you could get a 40+ year Chronicles Canadian corn whiskey off the shelf for Rebecca Creek 16 money if you want to try some old corn whiskey. 

• Like 1

I’m trying to find some, a little came out on Monday but it was gone right away. I think GB is getting better and better and cowboy/balmorhea/Guadalupe are awesome. Their other offerings I pass on bc of price.

33 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I’m trying to find some, a little came out on Monday but it was gone right away. I think GB is getting better and better and cowboy/balmorhea/Guadalupe are awesome. Their other offerings I pass on bc of price.

If you’re really into Garrison Bros, I believe you sign up to help them bottle it in exchange for early access to a discounted bottle. 

I’m sure you know all this, but for others in the thread it’s a nice tour and a lovely property. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Excited to try some overpriced metal shed juice. 

B276598A-82F5-470E-BC05-4A6478BD2AB5.jpeg

Surprised by this one. Definitely near oak maturity. Not overpowering, but another year would likely have put it over the edge. Lower proof than some of these at 120+, so the flavors are more discernible. Touch of molasses and brown sugar complement the wood well. Shocked by the silky mouthfeel. Almost no oil that MGP is prone to have, especially at high age. Floral notes and honeysuckle in the background. 

Worth $205?  Debatable. Probably not.  But it’s a great pour that I’ll savor. And considering what hyper aged MGP sells for in secondary, it’s a relative “bargain”. 

51 minutes ago, stork642 said:

5691F72E-5793-4755-BAF4-CB7B62B434F9.thumb.jpeg.9de36c0334a6ae2aabc7b7fcb01f5311.jpeg

Picked up two more J J Bowman SiB today but decided on this tonight.  Just as good as always.  

John Bowman has been giving me trouble. I think Spec’s bosses have handed down clear instructions to put it out on the floor. 

The secret is out that it drinks like 100 proof Eagle Rare.