Bourbon

Jimbaround

I'd like to see the campout bullshit die a brutal death, but I think they're here to stay. Idiots have been camping out in Kentucky for the past 10 years. 

I was planning to drive down to Beaumont at like 4 in the morning this year, but I'm glad I didn't. One of the Longhorn campers spent the night in a lawn chair for a bottle of Jack Heritage Rye. Surely, a night with his wife/girlfriend/family/friends is worth more than the $250 he saved on secondary prices. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Jeez. How early do people line up for that?

I bet there will be at least a thousand in Houston. The 2022 cart debacle and that shitty list should be deterrents, but plenty of people will roll the dice because they have a couple days off from work. 

If memory serves from last year, first in line got an ORVW. Next 30 got BTAC. First 100 got Willett SiB.

I believe the first camper showed up 84 hours before the drop. The ORVW recipient wasn’t the first camper. She was a middle aged female. The first campers were young, bearded hobos. Make out that what you will. The ORVW was on Facebook before 11am. 

I believe a guy got pinched in the parking lot for trying to sell BTAC to an undercover TABC agent either last year or 2021. 

While waiting in line in 2021, I saw dozens of “hood shots” that ended up on Facebook.

Spec’s could give a shit because the lines bring attention to their store. If I had a dollar for every time some guy passing through asked the Russian at Smith if they had any Stagg Jr in the back, I could probably break even there. 

That said, I think it’s a  business model. The guy asking for Stagg isn’t going to turn around and buy a Walking Stick pick. He’s just going to leave. 

8 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

lol. What a joke. How much. 

I think she was asking $1k. 

To make it even funnier, Spec's posted a picture of the lady holding the bottle on their Facebook account. People of course embedded the link to her sale advertisement in the comments. The Spec's mod of course never commented. 

• Like 1

I bet there will be at least a thousand in Houston. The 2022 cart debacle and that shitty list should be deterrents, but plenty of people will roll the dice because they have a couple days off from work. 

If memory serves from last year, first in line got an ORVW. Next 30 got BTAC. First 100 got Willett SiB.

I believe the first camper showed up 84 hours before the drop. The ORVW recipient wasn’t the first camper. She was a middle aged female. The first campers were young, bearded hobos. Make out that what you will. The ORVW was on Facebook before 11am. 

I believe a guy got pinched in the parking lot for trying to sell BTAC to an undercover TABC agent either last year or 2021. 

While waiting in line in 2021, I saw dozens of “hood shots” that ended up on Facebook.
Spec’s could give a shit because the lines bring attention to their store. If I had a dollar for every time some guy passing through asked the Russian at Smith if they had any Stagg Jr in the back, I could probably break even there. 

That said, I think it’s a  business model. The guy asking for Stagg isn’t going to turn around and buy a Walking Stick pick. He’s just going to leave. 

Good lord, you have way too much time on your hands if you knew all this.

The only thing that could get me remotely interested in hanging out overnight would be shooting the shit and wasting time with my degenerate whiskey friends if the weather was good.
But I’d much rather spend that time with my son while he’s on Xmas break and get some fishing in.
I for sure don’t need any bottle they have on this year’s weak ass offering.
But to each their own.

Just now, BigDHornfan said:

Good lord, you have way too much time on your hands if you knew all this.
emoji23.png

The only thing that could get me remotely interested in hanging out overnight would be shooting the shit and wasting time with my degenerate whiskey friends if the weather was good.
But I’d much rather spend that time with my son while he’s on Xmas break and get some fishing in.
I for sure don’t need any bottle they have on this year’s weak ass offering.
But to each their own.

I shop at Smith once a week. You keep your ears open you're going to hear things.

37 minutes ago, RichUT said:

That’s fucking pathetic. How sad does your life have to be for that to be worth the time?

The most common justifications I've seen from the Houston bourbon groups : 

- I have a few days off from work. 

and/or 

- I'm willing to camp out for 1 day so I don't have for the rest of the year. 

2 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Jesus Christ.
On his birthday.
3e376e1014c0050951cd4cbcb866423c.jpg

Having not read through. What drop is he waiting for? 

so I’m just getting into the good bourbon thing.  In VA everything is controlled and lottery drops.  So Eagle Rare, Blantons, weller  EH Taylor are all luck of the draw. Location and how fast you can drive.  I scored one of each over the last year.  Now back on west coast but haven’t ventured into the liquor stores to see who has what 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The most common justifications I've seen from the Houston bourbon groups : 

- I have a few days off from work. 

and/or 

- I'm willing to camp out for 1 day so I don't have for the rest of the year. 

edit: I’m willing to camp out for 1 day, so I don’t have HUNT the rest of the year.*

7 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Lmao.
People that setup tents yesterday at Irving are from OK evidently
bca4c38ca95b63e22154f31e6d1b176f.png

I’m not sure how they’d enforce that with their bullshit security guards in tactical vests. 

Back in 2021 I was behind about 50 large fraternity dudes that drove in from Southern. I’d recommend quitting before delivering that message. 

Tilted Bottle’s 12/28 preview on Instagram wasn’t too impressive. It looks like a lot of picks, Antique, Weller Full Proof, Stagg Jr, and a lot of tequila. I think there will be an ER pick in there too. I’m sure the first 100 in line will do much better than that, but the 12am - 4am guys might just come away with Antique, ER, Full Proof, and Stagg Jr. A terrific haul to be sure, but not for me. 

I’ll pop in there in there Thursday afternoon and grab a Russell’s Reserve, Sazerac, and Buffalo Trace picks. 

I think their tequila push is working. Smart move. Every time I’m in the store I see them unlocking the glass case to pull a bottle of 1942 or Clase Azul. 

Got a call from the local liquor store that I was one of the allocated winners.  The best thing left was a Thomas H. Handy Rye.  I don’t usually drink Rye but any idea if this is good stuff?  I never win these things so when I finally did I was hoping for any of the other antique collection stuff or even Pappy.  

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Got a call from the local liquor store that I was one of the allocated winners.  The best thing left was a Thomas H. Handy Rye.  I don’t usually drink Rye but any idea if this is good stuff?  I never win these things so when I finally did I was hoping for any of the other antique collection stuff or even Pappy.  

Enjoy buddy. That’s a terrific bottle. 

If you’re on the fence, pick up a bottle of Sazerac Rye and see if you like the mashbill and general flavor profile. It’s a 51% rye mashbill, so it tastes somewhat similar to bourbon. 

• Hook 'Em 1