Bourbon

Jimbaround

3 minutes ago, veritas aequitas said:

Picked this up yesterday to try something different. It is the worst Bourbon I have ever paid for and will the be the final attempt from me on a "Texas Bourbon". This one really does prove that awards mean nothing.

harbinber.png

I’m laughing because a group I’m in just did a blind with 15 bourbons and this came in dead last and was definitely my least favorite.  I’d had it at a bar and knew what it was pretty easily. 

I know there’s been some hype here for the Early Times BiB (Sazerac version) and that won out against some pretty strong competition like Blade and Bow 22, dusty early ‘80s Wild Turkey and Kentucky Owl B11.  I’m definitely going to pick up a bottle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, veritas aequitas said:

Picked this up yesterday to try something different. It is the worst Bourbon I have ever paid for and will the be the final attempt from me on a "Texas Bourbon". This one really does prove that awards mean nothing.

harbinber.png

Regarding Texas bourbons, I’m sticking to Still Austin for the foreseeable future.

Whitmeyer’s Bourbon and Rye Whiskey is ok, but the MGP rye is doing the heavy lifting.

I might drop in on Yellow Rose because it’s close to my house. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon. 

On 5/21/2022 at 7:19 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m kicking around a Nashville/Jack Daniel’s trip around Christmas. Maker’s Mark looks to be farthest south leg on the bourbon trail..

I’m sure it’s a good tour, but how’s the gift shop? 

If you're going up that way, you should hit Limestone Branch Distillery.  ~15 min south of Maker's.  Maybe just do a tasting (as once you've done one tour, you've done 'em all).  They make a helluva gin there, as well.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Was their EHT Small Batch drop last week? Feels like the burbs got it while most of the city folk were shut out. 

I would buy EHT small batch if I saw it in a store for retail.  But I remember the days when I would turn my nose up at it.  And ER10 kicks the shit out of it IMHO.

And I cant tell if you are calling Chimney Rock the burbs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, huge said:

I would buy EHT small batch if I saw it in a store for retail.  But I remember the days when I would turn my nose up at it.  And ER10 kicks the shit out of it IMHO.

And I cant tell if you are calling Chimney Rock the burbs.

I saw EHT in Jersey Village and Katy, thus, the burbs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Knob Creek/almost all Beam products need a higher proof. KC 120 is the sweet spot. 

I wasn’t thrilled with KC 12 100 proof, and I’m fading Baker’s 7. I think Booker’s is also headed in the wrong direction. 

The only lower proof Beam product I like is the Signature Series. Craft mashbills, and 11 years in the barrel helps a great deal. I suggest the Signature bottles to folks all the time, and they won’t listen. Oh well, more for me. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 5:11 PM, veritas aequitas said:

harbinber.png

Still Austin is a Texas whiskey i enjoy.  

Thanks for taking one for the team on that one.

ER picks are always fire - Still kicking myself for not buying the whole case I saw in Nashville in 2020…

ANYway, I’m gonna throw something crazy at you boys. I’ve tried this Nulu three times now and on the first occasion the immediate impression was “Beam!”.

Now, that’s quite peculiar for a MGP product, so I wanted to experiment a bit and pair some Beam products for a side/side. I ran through 2 Booker’s and 2 Little Books of similar proofs until I found something close.

I may be off my rocker, but I’ll be damned if it’s doesn’t have a number of similarities to Chapter 3. That bottle obviously has the age to create a different nose and a softer palette, but the juice has parallels.

Anyway, if one of you fuckers wants to follow my lead I’d be interested to hear your thoughts!

69cd83b3e41db806d5153e20261145c1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Crushed most of this bottle at the lake this weekend because low proof 12 year MGP is just so crushable.  This is the only reasonably priced 12 year MGP you can routinely find on shelves and I’m not sure why.  It’s no Boone County or Old Scout but it’s still damn good for the price.  

74B0D44E-84C6-4C4D-B992-A55E0BC0F2A7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 7:19 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m kicking around a Nashville/Jack Daniel’s trip around Christmas. Maker’s Mark looks to be farthest south leg on the bourbon trail..

I’m sure it’s a good tour, but how’s the gift shop? 

Went when we were in Nashville several weeks ago.  The tour itself was really good, but the gift shop was pretty disappointing. 

No swag, just bottles there.  Which isn't a bad thing, but the only bottle they had that you can't find regularly here was some sort of limited edition they finished with Jamaican allspice wood?  Didn't even have the bonded at the time.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, slorch said:

How does one determine if said ET BiB is "pre-Sazerac?"

Sazerac bought ET BiB but the transmission didn’t go so great.  The pre Sazerac bottles have a shorter base and a plastic top.  Beyond that the general consciousness is that the old version is significantly better than the new(Sazerac) version.  I’ve seen the old bottles for sale for over $100.  

It’s one of my favorites to be sure - Got some rye coming in soon that I’ll share with you all.

That said, passed on this opportunity a buddy shared today. I’ve NEVER seen OFC on a shelf anywhere outside Justin’s in KY, but market rate for these bottles is just silly…

d827a20ad9bea1b173c87a1afc68696d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1