Bourbon

Jimbaround

49 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I have a high rye 10yr Mgp redemption that is pretty spicy and was $90, and I don’t think I like it much. That’s good advice on the Rebecca creek. Some more cowboy bourbon just dropped. Tempted to buy bc I love it but it’s so expensive at $243 after tax. I think I may just need to recalibrate how much I’m willing to pay if I want stuff. I may just need to accept $250-$300 for a weller FP or StaggJr

I like to divide it by four and compare to a wine price.  No need to fret about $250 for Stagg Jr unless you’d feel moral outrage about a $60 bottle of wine. 

35 minutes ago, USCATX said:

I like to divide it by four and compare to a wine price.  No need to fret about $250 for Stagg Jr unless you’d feel moral outrage about a $60 bottle of wine. 

Are you available to teach a seminar to our wives? 

- Signed, This Thread 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, huge said:

Yeah not sure what I paid for the MK Unforgotten, but it was more than usual.  When it comes to prices I dont pay secondary but I will throw down whatever on retail.

4.5 Alfred E. Neuman What Me Worry vinyl image 1

ive got a ONE with your name on it if you want to part ways with that unforgotten.

Free market economy. I’m not a fan but I’m also not mad about it. Those stores are generally a primary source of income for the individual running it. If I put myself in their shoes, I can see where I’d be pissed selling bottles to bros at MSRP only for them to take a crotch shot in their truck and sell it for 2x.

They are within their rights to do it, and I’m within my rights to stop shopping there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

How do people feel about retail locations doing customers “favors” by selling them bottles at secondary privies? I’m getting pretty frustrated about it. Went to abcliqour today and was offered h the e chance to buy a twice barreled rye knob creek. Msrp for $50 but was offered it for $129.

If somebody offered me “allocated” Knob Creek Twice Barreled Rye at any price above a 50% off sale we would not be friends.  

47 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Free market economy. I’m not a fan but I’m also not mad about it. Those stores are generally a primary source of income for the individual running it. If I put myself in their shoes, I can see where I’d be pissed selling bottles to bros at MSRP only for them to take a crotch shot in their truck and sell it for 2x.

They are within their rights to do it, and I’m within my rights to stop shopping there.

Agreed.

The same people making fun of these “museum liquor stores” in Facebook groups are flipping bottles online.

• Like 1

Uh, what?
image.thumb.png.979b1617d47e8191aae5ee76e0840ca1.png

It’s all subjective.
I think Whiskey Advocate had the JD Bonded as the best one of 2022. All this shit does is make it harder to get and prices to jump.
I stopped paying attention to rankings and awards long ago.
Drink what you like and don’t be a sheep to what people say is the best.
Everyone’s palate is different.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m curious to try that 922 because the last batch I had (b521 maybe?) was hot sadness that ended up getting mixed with ginger ale at the lake.  It seems like they feel pressure at BB to name something at least moderately findable as whiskey of the year while putting the hitters in their top 5.  

Well today was a dud. A coworker was “tipped off” to a major score at Spec’s. So I meet him up there at 10am. Of course there were about 50 people in line. 

Our reward was a bottle of Booker’s 2022-03 and the 2022 JD Special Release. 

That’s a dud?
Jesus you’re a whiskey snob.

That JD is fucking phenomenal!! I’ll buy it from you and pay for shipping it up here if you don’t want it.
  • Like 1

Would you trade the Coy Hill Special Release for it? 

Yes, and here’s why,
The Coy Hill is really really good, but it’s very similar to a higher proof JD Barrel Strength Single Barrel. Especially if you get a store or club pick.

The JD ASM is a completely different animal.
It’s so different from anything JD has ever done and the finish from the Oloroso Cask is so tasty.

9 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Yes, and here’s why,
The Coy Hill is really really good, but it’s very similar to a higher proof JD Barrel Strength Single Barrel. Especially if you get a store or club pick.

The JD ASM is a completely different animal.
It’s so different from anything JD has ever done and the finish from the Oloroso Cask is so tasty.

You got yourself a deal sir. 

PM me the details. 

31 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

What’s Weller Blue going for on secondary these days? I saw a gift basket today with Weller Blue and Green and a couple other things for $289 and I passed.

$250-$300.  not sure what else was in there, but it was probably a decent deal.  weller green is a $30 bottle.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1