Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I think there are phases to the hobby. There’s a phase, if you have the money, where a persons is getting everything they don’t have building out their collection. But there is also a phase where a person no longer wants to build up but instead drink down what they’ve got. Just depends on if you still get excited finding a new bourbon you’ve been wanting to have .

I’m definitely in the “drink down” phase right now. I spent most of 2020 and 2021 building up my collection, but 2022 has been mostly store picks. I too am tired of the games the big stores and distributors play with inventory and refuse to wait in lines. My time is just more valuable to me than wasting it in line on the off chance something hits the store that day. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I think there are phases to the hobby. There’s a phase, if you have the money, where a persons is getting everything they don’t have building out their collection. But there is also a phase where a person no longer wants to build up but instead drink down what they’ve got. Just depends on if you still get excited finding a new bourbon you’ve been wanting to have .

Built up for years.  And I drink a decent amount but when you’re hell bent on collecting it adds up.  Plus I do most of my boozing outside the house.  There’s some bars/restaurants around here that gift their favorite customers allotments of the good shit from time to time.  Of course, I never say no because it’s close to retail.  Just stash it all over.  

Well when we sold our place in miami some of the boxes got mixed up with our Christmas shit.  Wife tore open a couple boxes w nothing but Papi.  Gonna get smashed next few days and see what I can empty with my old man.  

Merry Christmas assholes

FE89FF8A-DCD0-4694-9CA6-50BDDE755A60.jpeg

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 3

Built up for years.  And I drink a decent amount but when you’re hell bent on collecting it adds up.  Plus I do most of my boozing outside the house.  There’s some bars/restaurants around here that gift their favorite customers allotments of the good shit from time to time.  Of course, I never say no because it’s close to retail.  Just stash it all over.  
Well when we sold our place in miami some of the boxes got mixed up with our Christmas shit.  Wife tore open a couple boxes w nothing but Papi.  Gonna get smashed next few days and see what I can empty with my old man.  

Merry Christmas assholes
FE89FF8A-DCD0-4694-9CA6-50BDDE755A60.jpeg.b2357199b25188ef0de4b7308d384039.jpeg
You should make some eggnog with it.

1 minute ago, Okie State said:
34 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Merry Christmas assholes
FE89FF8A-DCD0-4694-9CA6-50BDDE755A60.jpeg.b2357199b25188ef0de4b7308d384039.jpeg

You should make some eggnog with it.

The wife will.  I’ll have to stash some of it before I’m totally wrecked.  

On 12/22/2022 at 8:14 PM, RichUT said:

I love bourbon. I hate bourbon fan culture. It’s almost exactly like collecting baseball cards was in the early 90’s, but with way more douchebags. The thought of getting in any line to buy whiskey is just ludicrous in my view.

I haven’t bought a single bottle for my personal collection this year. I’ve pitched in on a number of bottles that we share as a group of 10, and frankly that’s going to continue to be my MO for a vast majority of releases.

It's extremely insufferable here in Dallas and fueled by the Tilted Bottle fuck tard plus a few in the NTBA group. I'm forgetting the real name of the guy who runs the Titled Bottle Instagram account but the ego on this guy is out of control. I met him at the Walnut Hill and 75 store. Never again. 

It's extremely insufferable here in Dallas and fueled by the Tilted Bottle fuck tard plus a few in the NTBA group. I'm forgetting the real name of the guy who runs the Titled Bottle Instagram account but the ego on this guy is out of control. I met him at the Walnut Hill and 75 store. Never again. 

NTBA is a relatively new group.
I’m in it, but honestly can’t say anything about it. Not sure what they do.

This is damn fine stuff.

2a712d570ef92d327771ff0da3baadf5.jpg

I’m mostly into store picks as well these days and the buying has slowed CONSIDERABLY. Haven’t even gone on the hunt this holiday season and likely won’t.

Should be a fun year drinking down the stash!

I’ll have to look for that rye. Currently sipping on the four grain.
fcbbee136545099f30f58489b0619b8c.jpg

Also, I need to find another one of these store picks. Just killed it tonight and didn’t realize I had drank thru it this quickly. This was really good and I’m pretty sure it’s not on too many peoples radars yet (or so I hope).

910432dd68d7f0511b11563825e70f9a.jpg

On 12/24/2022 at 7:44 PM, Txslnghrns said:

Also, I need to find another one of these store picks. Just killed it tonight and didn’t realize I had drank thru it this quickly. This was really good and I’m pretty sure it’s not on too many peoples radars yet (or so I hope).

910432dd68d7f0511b11563825e70f9a.jpg

Grabbed one of these from liquor barn today in Kentucky. Excited to try it. 

Stopped at a hole in the wall in Mineral wells.
$150 for Blanton’s
$140 for BT Kosher Wheat
$60 for ER
Would have paid a little premium for the Kosher but not that much.

The store on the west side likes museum pieces based in their prices. The store on the east side used to be a little over MSRP but is usually overpriced now. The store on the south side rarely has anything but sells at MSRP.

I heard a mixed bag on the Houston campers last year. First in line showed up at at 4pm the day before. I believe it was pretty cold night, and there are a shit ton of homeless people roaming Midtown Houston late at night. Even with a police presence and a ton of witnesses, it's really risky. I'd wait at least until dawn when the homeless go back to their hovels. I think most would rather pay secondary than take a stab wound to the gut. 

I believe first in line in 2021 received a bottle of Pappy 23. The next four received Sazerac 18. I heard recently that Mr. Pappy 23 was pinched by the TABC selling the bottle in the Spec's parking lot. I buy it. If you're stupid enough to camp out in Midtown Houston overnight, you're probably stupid enough to be one of five people in Texas busted by the TABC every year. 

• Haha 1

According to Specs instagram page here’s what is dropping:
Blantons
OF Single Barrel
Buffalo Trace
Weller OWA 107
Sazerac Rye
Eagle Rare
Makers Marker Private Selection
Eligah Craig Single Barrel Private Barrel
Four Grain Private Select Cask
Michter's Barrel Strength
Bardstown
Weller Full Proof
Rittenhouse Rye
Ezra Brooks Cask Strength
Yellowstone
Russell Reserves Private barrel Selection
Bowman Brothers Single Barrel
Still Austin Single Barrel Cask Strength
Angels Envy
Four Roses Single Barrel

These store picks are the ones they have said so far and they are adding more today …

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

According to Specs instagram page here’s what is dropping:
Blantons
OF Single Barrel
Buffalo Trace
Weller OWA 107
Sazerac Rye
Eagle Rare
Makers Marker Private Selection
Eligah Craig Single Barrel Private Barrel
Four Grain Private Select Cask
Michter's Barrel Strength
Bardstown
Weller Full Proof
Rittenhouse Rye
Ezra Brooks Cask Strength
Yellowstone
Russell Reserves Private barrel Selection
Bowman Brothers Single Barrel
Still Austin Single Barrel Cask Strength
Angels Envy
Four Roses Single Barrel

These store picks are the ones they have said so far and they are adding more today …

I hope W12 makes an appearance for a buddy who always seems to have trouble finding it.

A JD pick would also be welcome. It was great last year.