Bourbon

Jimbaround

2 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Honey holes are extinct. At least in our general region (i.e., TX and surrounding states). You can’t convince me otherwise. People are too wise about how crazy people are for rare whiskey.

I’ve gotten lucky a few times in BFE.  Not really lucky, but a little lucky.

5 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Honey holes are extinct. At least in our general region (i.e., TX and surrounding states). You can’t convince me otherwise. People are too wise about how crazy people are for rare whiskey.

I’d agree. Every liquor store owner that speaks passable English and owns a computer can figure out what they can charge. I’d they can’t, they can get their kids to do it. 

I think the dusty hunters luck out from time to time when a new owner doesn’t know what something in the back/attic is worth. 

Sooo . . . I'm a dumbass and bought two Old Ezra 7 Full Proof Ryes thinking they were OE7 Bourbon (my favorite for old fashioneds).  I plan to try and keep one, but is the second worth anything as a trade?  I don't plan to sell for cash, but would trade for something decent since I already have more ryes than I need.  

2 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Sooo . . . I'm a dumbass and bought two Old Ezra 7 Full Proof Ryes thinking they were OE7 Bourbon (my favorite for old fashioneds).  I plan to try and keep one, but is the second worth anything as a trade?  I don't plan to sell for cash, but would trade for something decent since I already have more ryes than I need.  

Are you in any whiskey groups on social media? Might offer it up to the club at cost if you are. I come across stuff fairly often that isn’t always allocated but may not be the easiest to find, and I’ll snag it for two reasons. One, I’m a selfish asshole and it earns me points at FUCKspec’s, and two I’m able to offer back for cost to the community/group that for some reason unbeknownst to me tolerates me and my asshole tendencies. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Let’s try this Facebook style. 

ISO

Coy Hill

SFTB

kl wines which has stuff at retail (cheaper than grocery stores typically) has had sftb off and on over the past month but at $270.

grocery stores don't even get it.  if you want to pay $270 + shipping it's yours.

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

This thread is now sad. 

I'm surprised so many people are still all over this stuff hoarding and all. How many years has it been? Are people never going to get tired of hoarding this stuff?

I think there is a bit of artificial supply limitation.

While I'm on here, do you hooligans have any thoughts on Angel's Envy Rye?

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

This thread is now sad. 

I'm surprised so many people are still all over this stuff hoarding and all. How many years has it been? Are people never going to get tired of hoarding this stuff?

I think a lot of is uncertainty. Prior to 2020, I could count on getting the same allocated bottles every year. 

Now it’s all over the place. It could 2-3 years without ever seeing that bottle again in Houston. So people hoard. 

McKenna 10 is great example. I bought  6 bottles in 2019, and I haven’t seen it since then. 

I agree on the artificial supply limitation. Scroll through the pictures of the Spec’s drop next week. They obviously receive a shit ton of allocated Buffalo Trace products, but they only put it out once a year. 

There’s still a lot of good stuff out there on the shelves, but there’s also a lot of crap. Flavored bourbons, celebrity bourbons, overpriced boutique crap, Dickel, Texas bourbons are all fighting for shelve space with quality products like Maker’s Mark Private Select and JD SiB Barrel Proof. 

I think a lot of is uncertainty. Prior to 2020, I could count on getting the same allocated bottles every year. 

Now it’s all over the place. It could 2-3 years without ever seeing that bottle again in Houston. So people hoard. 

McKenna 10 is great example. I bought  6 bottles in 2019, and I haven’t seen it since then. 

I agree on the artificial supply limitation. Scroll through the pictures of the Spec’s drop next week. They obviously receive a shit ton of allocated Buffalo Trace products, but they only put it out once a year. 

There’s still a lot of good stuff out there on the shelves, but there’s also a lot of crap. Flavored bourbons, celebrity bourbons, overpriced boutique crap, Dickel, Texas bourbons are all fighting for shelve space with quality products like Maker’s Mark Private Select and JD SiB Barrel Proof. 

Picture of specs drop next week? Can you tell me more?

17 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Are you in any whiskey groups on social media? Might offer it up to the club at cost if you are. I come across stuff fairly often that isn’t always allocated but may not be the easiest to find, and I’ll snag it for two reasons. One, I’m a selfish asshole and it earns me points at FUCKspec’s, and two I’m able to offer back for cost to the community/group that for some reason unbeknownst to me tolerates me and my asshole tendencies. 

Not anymore.  I used to be a member of a few Austin bourbon Facebook groups, but it was douche overload.  

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

hemingway once wrote, "there's a lot of great bourbon, and worth fighting for."  i agree with the first part.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

kl wines which has stuff at retail (cheaper than grocery stores typically) has had sftb off and on over the past month but at $270.

grocery stores don't even get it.  if you want to pay $270 + shipping it's yours.

Not that I would pay that for SFTB but KL doesn't ship to Tejas.  Double farts.  

3 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Not that I would pay that for SFTB but KL doesn't ship to Tejas.  Double farts.  

if you ever need anything from there, you can always purchase with hollywood will-call and i can scoop and send.  i have a postal center guy who is very dependable (as several folks on this thread can attest to).  just pm me.

i'm over there at least once a month and my shipping place is across the street. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Will the guy everyone hates be first in line?

He’s too much of a pompous ass to stand in line. He’ll probably pay someone to stand in line for him, and then five minutes before they open come up there and taunt the others about how smart he is. Little leprechaun needs a fuckin punch to his cockholster in the worst way.

• Like 2

I love bourbon. I hate bourbon fan culture. It’s almost exactly like collecting baseball cards was in the early 90’s, but with way more douchebags. The thought of getting in any line to buy whiskey is just ludicrous in my view.

I haven’t bought a single bottle for my personal collection this year. I’ve pitched in on a number of bottles that we share as a group of 10, and frankly that’s going to continue to be my MO for a vast majority of releases.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Will the guy everyone hates be first in line?

The OFC guy is a legendary Dallas villain. Up there with JR and Jerrah. 

Thank God Houston doesn’t have an equivalent. There will be dudes with a grill and a picnic table selling tacos for cash at the front of the line. 

10 hours ago, RichUT said:

I love bourbon. I hate bourbon fan culture. It’s almost exactly like collecting baseball cards was in the early 90’s, but with way more douchebags. The thought of getting in any line to buy whiskey is just ludicrous in my view.

I haven’t bought a single bottle for my personal collection this year. I’ve pitched in on a number of bottles that we share as a group of 10, and frankly that’s going to continue to be my MO for a vast majority of releases.

I’ve gotten too old for the hustle. I just don’t care anymore. I was never a wait in line guy, but would pay extra for goods. Not anymore. I sold my EHT waterfall to fund another project, and I’ve been slowly drinking the rest of my stash. Right now, I’m enjoying a Wild Turkey Decades bottle and next up is probably a 2014 Four Roses Limited Edition. After it’s all gone, I will just subsist on whatever is available at my local shop, preferably relying on the Old Forester Whiskey Row series. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I’ve gotten too old for the hustle. I just don’t care anymore. I was never a wait in line guy, but would pay extra for goods. Not anymore. I sold my EHT waterfall to fund another project, and I’ve been slowly drinking the rest of my stash. Right now, I’m enjoying a Wild Turkey Decades bottle and next up is probably a 2014 Four Roses Limited Edition. After it’s all gone, I will just subsist on whatever is available at my local shop, preferably relying on the Old Forester Whiskey Row series. 

Nothing wrong with that at all
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think there are phases to the hobby. There’s a phase, if you have the money, where a persons is getting everything they don’t have building out their collection. But there is also a phase where a person no longer wants to build up but instead drink down what they’ve got. Just depends on if you still get excited finding a new bourbon you’ve been wanting to have .
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1