2021 NCAA Baseball

WBT

37 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Wow, Miss State really crapped the bed in the SEC tourney in epic fashion.  Does it cost them a top 8 seed?

Going to be interesting.  Don't want to put too much on a worthless tournament, but what a terrible showing.  Who are the candidates to replace them?

TCU?  Has a big opportunity today vs. TT.

Stanford?  Could easily win Pac 12 tourney.

Ole Miss?  If they beat Vandy today, Arkansas tomorrow and Florida/Tennessee on Sunday, that's a hell of a finish.

Edited by Don Johnson

Guest Lobo

Yes, but "National Seed" is kind of a term of art.  It means you're a locked in seed to host everything before Omaha if you survive.  9-16 hosts have to travel, and even if the top 8 seed opposite of them loses their regional, there's still a chance another team could usurp them to host the Supers...happens every year.  Top 8 seeding also plays into how you're drawn into Omaha once you get there.  Teams can't afford to worry about that, but how you're setup in Omaha makes a big difference about how far you get in Omaha.  

On to Pac-12 business.  UCLA apparently wants a better seed and their football score over Arizona State proves it last night, 21-9.  Oregon State @ Stanford tonight, Oregon @ Cal, and UCLA @ ASU could have national seed implications.  The table is mostly set, but a game here and there could be the final tweak on seedings today and tomorrow.  I think Sunday is largely irrelevant given covid travel issues and the final bracket being due to ESPN Sunday evening.  

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

There was one?  /cruiser

I regret that Texas/OU could not join the pac-10 east

(for clarity because I'm not as funny as I think I am) 

There was the pac-10 north with Portland, Portland State, and Gonzaga.  

What would happen is the pac 10 south victor would probably host a regional and get rolled by the pac-10 north "champ" for the auto bid.

Edited by petscii

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, petscii said:

I regret that Texas/OU could not join the pac-10 east

We were 48 hours away from having it happen.  Some Pac-10 members threw a last minute pissy fit about LHN revenue sharing, even though it had already been settled.  What they thought was gonna be a negotiating tactic that wouldn't break the deal up, but rather just score them some extra money ended up causing everybody to get up from the table and reboot.  Trouble is, nobody ever went back to the table.  But it would shock most fans to know how unbelievably close we were to being in the Pac-10/12.  I'm not sure how close OU was to going with us, but we were so damn close.  10 years later, we're still stuck in this shitshow.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We were 48 hours away from having it happen.  Some Pac-10 members threw a last minute pissy fit about LHN revenue sharing, even though it had already been settled.  What they thought was gonna be a negotiating tactic that wouldn't break the deal up, but rather just score them some extra money ended up causing everybody to get up from the table and reboot.  Trouble is, nobody ever went back to the table.  But it would shock most fans to know how unbelievably close we were to being in the Pac-10/12.  I'm not sure how close OU was to going with us, but we were so damn close.  10 years later, we're still stuck in this shitshow.  

Home and away with Arizona State, Stanford and UCLA..... it makes me sad.....

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, petscii said:

Home and away with Arizona State, Stanford and UCLA..... it makes me sad.....

Do you even Norman, Waco, or Manhattan-bro?  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Do you even Norman, Waco, or Manhattan-bro?  

FUCK NO.  ON MY TOMBSTONE IT WILL SAY HE NEVER WENT TO LUBBOCK TEXAS (as well)

(I've been to baylor ballpark)

Edited by petscii

The PAC 12 is lost, we are lucky that fell through. The Big 12 at least has college towns that support the schools.

Ever tuned into a Stanford athletic event in Pali Alto? It will put you to sleep. I hate when we go out there for baseball, 8:30 and later start and there might be 500 people in the stands.

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 3

Guest Lobo

They would have staggered our road trips so we would have only had 2 road trips in baseball and basketball to the PT, and the other 2 in MT/CT (Arizona State, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, or even OU).  They wouldn't have loaded all our trips all out West (UW, WSU, Cal, USC, et. al.).  Plus there were going to mandate those weeknight games start at 6 or 6:30p local, so as to get as many eyeballs in Texas.  V&E covered all the bases on this stuff.  Football would still have 1 or 2 late kicks a year but Longhorn fans watch football all night on Saturdays so wouldn't have been a big deal.  

6 minutes ago, chase25 said:

The PAC 12 is lost, we are lucky that fell through. The Big 12 at least has college towns that support the schools.

Ever tuned into a Stanford athletic event in Pali Alto? It will put you to sleep. I hate when we go out there for baseball, 8:30 and later start and there might be 500 people in the stands.

As someone who has gone to every Stanford series at Sunken Diamond in the last 20 plus years, there are usually more than 500 Texas fans there... 

Edited by petscii

5 minutes ago, petscii said:

As someone who has gone to every Stanford series at Sunken Diamond in the last 20 years, there are usually more than 500 Texas fans there... 

In 2018 and 2019 Stanford finished behind West Virginia in baseball attendance... West Virginia... They just don’t give a shit about sports out there

Edited by chase25

Guest Lobo

Charlotte would be a mixed draw for us.  We can shut down their lineup over tWo games.  Their rotation is crap, bullpen is solid,  but they are a strikeout staff. What they give up in XBH, they make up for with lots of K’s. 

Hate to see LSU and face the media frenzy/distraction of Maineri’s final games, seeing clips of the ‘09 CWS, etc.

Logical though just like they sent Oregon to the softball regional. (Coach White’s former team)

19 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

So they're projecting that we host UConn, Michigan, and John Neely Bryant (would have been more interesting placed in the Fort Worth regional....)

https://d1baseball.com/postseason/projected-field-of-64-may-30/

& a #3 seed.

Also, 7 SEC regionals? Haven't kept up with them enough to know ... is that justifiable? 

At any rate, looking forward to fucking shit up in this regional. 

Fuck. Errbody.

The top 4 seeds should be Arkansas, Tennessee, Texas and Vanderbilt in some order after Arkansas. 

3 of those teams are going to want LA Tech, Oregon, Old Dominion or East Carolina in their super regional. You just know the 3 SEC teams are going to get good draws while Texas ends up being paired with somebody like Florida. 

It's going to be frustrating if Vanderbilt or Tennessee are seeded below Texas but get somebody like Oregon/LA Tech/East Carolina in their Super simply because they don't want a conference match up in the Super with a team like Florida. The NCAA committee had no problem creating conference match ups in softball. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 5:04 PM, zlavydra said:

I'm always amazed by UGA's lack of success relative to the baseball talent in this state.

UGA is also a Zell grant school, so I've never understood how you could not field a better team than that...

Because Zell grants don't apply any more...

Edited by petscii

9 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

The top 4 seeds should be Arkansas, Tennessee, Texas and Vanderbilt in some order after Arkansas. 

3 of those teams are going to want LA Tech, Oregon, Old Dominion or East Carolina in their super regional. You just know the 3 SEC teams are going to get good draws while Texas ends up being paired with somebody like Florida. 

It's going to be frustrating if Vanderbilt or Tennessee are seeded below Texas but get somebody like Oregon/LA Tech/East Carolina in their Super simply because they don't want a conference match up in the Super with a team like Florida. The NCAA committee had no problem creating conference match ups in softball. 

They had no problem pairing conference super matchups in the last tournament in 2019. Obviously, some did not play out that way.  And of course you’ll get some folks that think it’s the NCAA trying to ensure that the SEC is represented in the CWS  

UCLA/Oregon St

Arkansas/Ole Miss

TTech/ Okie St

UGA/LSU

Ga Tech/ UNC

This was actually my post on it at the time (I thought it sucked):

As a whole, the selection committee did a terrible job setting up Super Regional matchups.  So bad that I may actually believe them when they say they seeded 1-16 without putting any thought into matchups.

Had things played out by the chalk, you would've had

UCLA-Oregon State - Pac 12 vs. Pac 12, already played

Vandy vs. WVU - Interesting matchup

GT vs. UNC - ACC vs. ACC, already played 4 times

UGA v. LSU - SEC vs. SEC, already played

Arkansas vs. Ole Miss - SEC vs. SEC, already played 5 TIMES.  Has any team ever played another 7 or 8 times in a season?

MSU vs. Stanford - Interesting matchup

Louisville vs. ECU - interesting matchup

TT vs. OSU, Big 12 vs. Big 12, already played

5 out 8 are teams that are in the same conference AND have already played each other (SEC, ACC, Pac 12 don't play everyone in conference).  Just a little bit of moving around could've given us much more interesting matchups.

Edited by Don Johnson