UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

26 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm actually in agreement with you. Coach K *was* Duke. UNC was always the cool, fashionable school, with that tar heel baby blue and guys like Jordan, Worthy, Stack, VC, Jamison, etc, whereas Duke has always been the heel, the small private school with all of the white boys that nobody likes, from Laetnner through Baby Ted Cruz. UNC has always been and will always be cool, especially with the Jordan Brand/MJ cache. there's absolutely no guarantee that Duke doesn't go the way of Indiana post-K. 

Isn't UNC the school that signed up their players to take fake, non-existent classes for years. Yeah, that's pretty cool. 

32 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

"I'm not ready to say Duke is first tier until I see someone other than K have some success."

Your words, bro. For someone who purports to follow basketball, that sure seems like a strange comment.  

Dude my first tier has 3 fucking schools in it. Son of a fucking bitch. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

One of my daughters just graduated from Duke, so I've spent a lot of time on the campus over the last four years. While I'm sure the Duke community will be very concerned about your post, I feel confident they will somehow survive your declarations and continue to be one of the top tier basketball programs in the nation. 

Sure. I agree. I had the audacity to say it might fall off to a top 5 or top 10 school as opposed to top fucking 3

I assume your daughters reading comprehension is better. 
btw- Carolina signing players up to fake classes makes it a better job than Duke for 99.8% of people that coach at the NCAA level and you brought it up like it’s a bad thing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

whereas Duke has always been the heel, the small private school with all of the white boys that nobody likes, from Laetnner through Baby Ted Cruz.

Duke has had 26 first round draft-picks since 2010. I don't think many of those guys were white.

I don't know if they continue to recruit as well post-K (so far they haven’t skipped a beat) but I don't think they're going to be Indiana any time soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The only way Texas is a top 5 program might be if we're talking about potential.  Beyond that, we're top 20, and that's considering 20+ years of history.  One Final Four some 18-odd years ago isn't exactly amazing.

I agree, the potential is tantalizing, but so far, no coach has tapped into it.

4 hours ago, troph said:

I like you too. UCF football is not a top 5 sleeping giant or whatever you called it and it doesn’t compare to Texas basketball. Your analogy doesn’t work. And if you really think Texas basketball - a perennial under achiever and mediocre program doesn’t benefit from football and academic prestige and reputation then ok, but you’re wrong. None of this is in a silo. 

The rest of my post said UCF probably isn’t the best but that’s what I could think of at that time. I didn’t say it was an exact analogy. Football and academics have very very less to do with it. Location, money, and less pressure has everything to do with it. 

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

has anyone made the case that Texas was a top five job when we hired either of those two?

So it's your contention that Shaka turned Texas into a top 5 job?

You're really going to have to learn to live with the idea that sometimes people might disagree with you.  LMAO, who am I kidding?

• Fuck You 1

chris beard got to Texas, immediately signed the top transfer class, won the program's first tourney game in 8 years, got all eligible players from said transfer class to return, signed two 5 stars, and by week three of his second season had Texas in the top 5 and receiving first place votes. he did all of that in the 18 months immediately following shaka's loss to ACU. that's what's possible at Texas, and it's indicative of what a super elite job this is. you can literally take the worst roster in the big xii and turn it into a national title contender in leas than two years, all while living in Austin, getting paid too five money, and having zero pressure or expectations compared to the likes of Duke, Kentucky, KU, or UNC. that's a top 5-ish job nationally.  

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The only way Texas is a top 5 program might be if we're talking about potential.  Beyond that, we're top 20, and that's considering 20+ years of history.  One Final Four some 18-odd years ago isn't exactly amazing.

I agree, the potential is tantalizing, but so far, no coach has tapped into it.

Agree with @shadow_operative—there’s a difference between programs and jobs. 

I think a severely underrated job is Georgia. Holy hell that has potential to be a monster, but they don’t give a shit. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So it's your contention that Shaka turned Texas into a top 5 job?

You're really going to have to learn to live with the idea that sometimes people might disagree with you.  LMAO, who am I kidding?

why are you like this? why are you so goddamn contentious all of the time? why do you spaz out every time someone disagrees with you and then project it onto me? what on earth justifies this sort of shit talking, bitchass response from you? nothing. you're literally doing what you're accusing me of, while i'm just over here calmly making germane posts. christ it's annoying.

btw, do you know that i've had multiple people in the last week pm me about what a self deluded ass you are? of course you don't. you have zero self awareness.

Edited by shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Agree with @shadow_operative—there’s a difference between programs and jobs.

I'm not disputing this.  I would say that Texas fans have been pushing this narrative for decades -- "we're a sleeping giant" -- and it has never really come to pass.  Maybe hit the pause button for once.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not disputing this.  I would say that Texas fans have been pushing this narrative for decades -- "we're a sleeping giant" -- and it has never really come to pass.  Maybe hit the pause button for once.

Not sure I agree with this. 

We also haven’t been in a position to make such a claim since, what, 2008? Barnes’ last few seasons were shit, all of Shaka was shit, and with Beard we are finally seeing what this program is capable of, although that remains to be seen. 

I just don’t understand why people want to downgrade Texas basketball. It’s like y’all don’t want it to be successful, and I’m not sure why. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The fuck I am.

it wouldn't even matter if you weren't wrong, as you just keep angrily moving the goal posts to begin with. the discussion is about whether or not Texas is a top five job, but you want to say it's not a top five program; then when we clear that up, you again change the discussion from "is texas a top five job" to "texas fans have been claiming that this hoops program is a sleeping giant for decades." again, that's not only not true, it's not the topic of discussion to begin with. in the middle of all of this you drop, "oh so it's your contention that shaka turned texas into a top five program!!!", when nobody here approached saying that. you're just in here angrily arguing with people just to argue. you can't even stay on topic, and you seem intent on starting a fight. really seems to me like you could use a break from this discussion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Not sure I agree with this. We also haven’t been in a position to make such a claim since, what, 2008? Barnes’ last few seasons were shit, all of Shaka was shit, and with Beard we are finally seeing what this program is capable of, although that remains to be seen. 

I don't understand this at all.  Our fans have labeled this program as underachieving that entire time, and they literally felt we could be elite.  It's the definition of claiming that "we're a top 5 job".

Well, sometimes you are what you are.  I think the right coach and the right circumstances -- which in my mind include a Chris Beard, a Moody Center, and NIL -- could push us into that stratosphere, but it hasn't happened yet.

I just don’t understand why people want to downgrade Texas basketball. It’s like y’all don’t want it to be successful, and I’m not sure why. 

Well, that's just flat fucking insulting.  You should know better.

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

it seems like you could use a break from this discussion. 

Physician, heal thyself.  I am fullly aware of the parameters of the discussion, despite how you  choose to define them.

31 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The rest of my post said UCF probably isn’t the best but that’s what I could think of at that time. I didn’t say it was an exact analogy. Football and academics have very very less to do with it. Location, money, and less pressure has everything to do with it. 

Tell me why can Texas pay top dollar and why is there less pressure?  I’ll give you a hint it’s one word and starts with foot and ends with ball. I wish I could say it was baseball or that basketball stood on its own, but it doesn’t. Hell for years the big money football donors sucked up all the court side seats without another dollar given. 

I agree Texas is a top 5-10 job and it’s a top 25 program and the first tourney win in 8 years only proves that. 

I also think the wrong coach wins here and leaves for Carolina or Kansas or another top 5 program if they won here and were pursued.

now don’t get me wrong, someone can win big here no doubt it’s just a matter of finding (or keeping) that someone.  That’s why the beard situation didn’t immediately result in a firing - because he can win and he’s an alum so he wouldn’t leave.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, troph said:

I will admit NIL will  radically change the landscape and when that dust settles Texas should land as a newcomer to the top echelon and frankly should win championships because of it. That however is future talk that hasn’t happened yet. 

Exactly.  This is all wish-casting.  It hasn't happened yet.

33 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

why are you like this? why are you so goddamn contentious all of the time? why do you spaz out every time someone disagrees with you and then project it onto me? what on earth justifies this sort of shit talking, bitchass response from you? nothing. you're literally doing what you're accusing me of, while i'm just over here calmly making germane posts. christ it's annoying.

btw, do you know that i've had multiple people in the last week pm me about what a self deluded ass you are? of course you don't. you have zero self awareness.

While I’m sure it’s true don’t you get PM’s from everyone on the site about everything?  

• Haha 3

https://theathletic.com/2976375/2021/11/26/whats-the-top-coaching-job-in-mens-college-basketball-a-clear-top-five-starts-with-kentucky/?amp=1

The athletic has us at 11. They also have Indiana (lulz), Arizona, Gonzaga, and Ohio St. ahead of us.
Indiana absolutely not. They dont have the resources and they aren’t relevant anymore. Gonzaga probably not either for similar reasons. They likely won’t continue to be what they are once Few is done.

Ohio St and Arizona both have arguments.

CBS sports has us #10. 

Edited by hobbes2702

8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It’s been referred to as a top 5-10 job really since Rick started struggling. That’s before NIL and the Moody and really before this modern Texas HS basketball explosion. 

I'd say the talk started when Penders flamed out.  He got us on the national stage, and then we hired Rick Barnes, who did well, but didn't exactly push the program over the top.

I will say that lauding Chris Beard for landing some blue chip recruits, as if that's never been done here before, is laughable.  We've pushed studs through this program for at least two decades now.  It hasn't been enough.  The puzzle has never been complete.  I do think Moody + NIL may be the difference makers, but those are new inputs that will hopefully change the game.  Up until now, it's been the same old same old.

i'm still trying to find that article that i read back on TOS where ncaa coaches were polled and Texas was ranked as a top 6-7 job by the coaches. i specifically remember someone there (seriously might have been jj) claiming that there was no way the Texas job should be that high, to which i replied, "if the coaches say it's that big of a job then it is, period." if TOS hadn't been nuked from orbit i imagine it would be fairly easy to find this article, but i'll keep looking. point being, the Texas job is as big of a job as CBB coaches say it is, and i can promise you that Texas is still polling somewhere between the 5-8 best jobs in America in the eyes of the people who are actually qualified to fill the position. 

Just now, shadow_operative said:

also, jimmy, you keep saying, "it hasn't happened yet, it hasn't happened yet!". you don't have to have achieved top 5 results for the job to be a top five job. so again, despite what you repeatedly claim, you either keep moving the goalposts, or you just don't understand what we're discussing here. 

Jesus, man.  I totally understand the difference.  I just don't happen to agree with you.

Are we close?  Yeah.  Like I said, Moody + NIL may push us into that realm.  At this point, we're not even hiring, so it's a bit of a moot point.

30 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

it's not just Texas fans who think this is a great job. this is from April 29th of last year, and i would guess that everything we've seen from Beard/Texas since then only bolsters the idea:

9A4FAEE6-E629-4E80-AB95-D9DC004BAB24.jpeg

There’s that football word again. No one is arguing it’s a top 5-10 job btw. We are quibbling over why. 

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

btw- The Athletic did an anonymous poll of women's CBB coaches on the best jobs in WCBB. guess which job was picked as the best in America?

C4F01E89-0DFF-405D-9425-396DC8A94BC7.thumb.jpeg.768e29d5ea19aeb4d08464b4a7e29a2e.jpeg

3515B923-F1E5-4232-AA3C-C7664BC2C843.thumb.jpeg.a207b2c7851eca0ca1f5f2133a7722a3.jpeg

BB45197E-13EE-4158-BA14-7786FD48DBFC.thumb.jpeg.b51070ad49e5de69ddebc8a060df0264.jpeg

That’s not surprising at all, but then Texas was THE program before Tennessee was Tennessee and before UCONN was UCONN. 

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

it's not just Texas fans who think this is a great job. this is from April 29th of last year, and i would guess that everything we've seen from Beard/Texas since then only bolsters the idea:

9A4FAEE6-E629-4E80-AB95-D9DC004BAB24.jpeg

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

btw- The Athletic did an anonymous poll of women's CBB coaches on the best jobs in WCBB. guess which job was picked as the best in America?

C4F01E89-0DFF-405D-9425-396DC8A94BC7.thumb.jpeg.768e29d5ea19aeb4d08464b4a7e29a2e.jpeg

3515B923-F1E5-4232-AA3C-C7664BC2C843.thumb.jpeg.a207b2c7851eca0ca1f5f2133a7722a3.jpeg

BB45197E-13EE-4158-BA14-7786FD48DBFC.thumb.jpeg.b51070ad49e5de69ddebc8a060df0264.jpeg

And I’ll bet our football, volleyball and baseball jobs would rank in the top five. It’s a great place to be with unlimited resources, great history, location and prestige.  So yea we do deserve to bitch about our lack of success in some sports

yeah i am completely on the other side of the fence in regards to gonzaga being a top job. maybe for tommy lloyd,  it why anyone else? i already commented on the virtual anonymity of got damn *UCLA* who is out west and who nobody pays attention to. ain't no top coach trying to move out to Washington state to coach in the WCC with its plethora of inherent disadvantages. just an absolutely terrible take that's being parroted on multiple lists from national writers (and a couple people here). gonzaga is a great program under mark few; it is not one of the best jobs in the country. 

20 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

chris beard got to Texas, immediately signed the top transfer class, won the program's first tourney game in 8 years, got all eligible players from said transfer class to return, signed two 5 stars, and by week three of his second season had Texas in the top 5 and receiving first place votes. he did all of that in the 18 months immediately following shaka's loss to ACU. that's what's possible at Texas, and it's indicative of what a super elite job this is. you can literally take the worst roster in the big xii and turn it into a national title contender in leas than two years, all while living in Austin, getting paid too five money, and having zero pressure or expectations compared to the likes of Duke, Kentucky, KU, or UNC. that's a top 5-ish job nationally.  

Right now, in my eyes the Texas basketball program is analogous to LSU football circa 2001 in Saban's 2nd year. At that point LSU routinely sent loads of talent to the NFL and despite some recent success the ridiculous level that the program would reach over the next 20 years wasn't exactly predictable to anyone back then. However, all the necessary ingredients required for their coming success was already present within the program and state at that time. By that same token for Texas basketball, all of the previous hurdles preventing schools from the state from having sustained college basketball success have been slowly removed over the past couple of decades. Everything from instate skill development and talent busting at the seams, to newly established NIL rules reducing the reluctance of some schools from getting too heavily involved in the basketball recruiting muck. I really don't think it's clear to most Longhorns fans outside of maybe the most ardent basketball aficionados how good Texas high school basketball is compared to the rest of the country right now. Having a guy like Beard (hopefully keeping him if we can) at the helm of the program at this moment in time is a godsend in terms of taking advantage of all that is available for building and sustaining a championship level program.  

• Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Right now, in my eyes the Texas basketball program is analogous to LSU football circa 2001 in Saban's 2nd year. At that point LSU routinely sent loads of talent to the NFL and despite some recent success the ridiculous level that the program would reach over the next 20 years wasn't exactly predictable to anyone back then. However, all the necessary ingredients required for their coming success was already present within the program and state at that time. By that same token for Texas basketball, all of the previous hurdles preventing schools from the state from having sustained college basketball success have been slowly removed over the past couple of decades. Everything from instate skill development and talent busting at the seams, to newly established NIL rules reducing the reluctance of some schools from getting too heavily involved in the basketball recruiting muck. I really don't think it's clear to most Longhorns fans outside of maybe the most ardent basketball aficionados how good Texas high school basketball is compared to the rest of the country right now. Having a guy like Beard (hopefully keeping him if we can) at the helm of the program at this moment in time is a godsend in terms of taking advantage of all that is available for building and sustaining a championship level program.  

that's a pretty damn good take actually.

22 minutes ago, troph said:

that's a pretty damn good take actually.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with any of that.

A variable that hasn't really been discussed is Texas and OU moving to the SEC.  That obviously hurts Big 12 football.  Does it hurt Big 12 basketball?  Some, but probably not the same amount.  Will Big 12 basketball survive as a top "power" conference in a similar way that the Big East was a juggernaut in the heyday of Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Syracuse, and then UConn?  Kansas and Baylor should continue at a high level.  Oklahoma State and Texas Tech could, too.  And then there's the newcomers like Houston and Cincinnati.  But if the luster fades because football fades, those jobs might become less attractive to up and coming coaches.  Right now, I wouldn't put any of them save Kansas above Texas, anyway.

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

i totally agree with this take. and just to add onto it: 2002 LSU loses to Texas in the cotton bowl with a staff of: HC Nick Saban, OC Jimbo Fisher, DC Will Muschamp, and ST Coach Kirby Smart. and as you said, we know where the program would go from there, starting with their NC Title the following year.

Being that this is not an apples to oranges comparison, we don't have a staff of future stud HC's running our program to set us up for sustained success; but we have our own version of that- the aforementioned perks of the city, the salary, the arena, the fertile recruiting ground, etc, etc. i think the LSU football comparison is a great one, and if it turns out that Beard is justifiably able to keep his job, then it's not unreasonable for fans of Texas Basketball to realistically dream of LSU-type success for our basketball program. 

In the era of NIL, I think the big, rich schools like UT, Michigan, Florida, Ohio State move way up the list of desirability.  Right now if you are a great coach, and you can coach at Michigan or Indiana, I think you take the Michigan job.  

I think this would be my ranking of job attractiveness if the job "suddenly" came open.

1. UNC - Jordan, Nike, history, fan support, money, class
  2. Kansas - Passionate, knowledgeable fanbase
  3. Kentucky - Biggest, most rabid fanbase who will do anything to win, but unrealistic
  4. UCLA - Dominate the west coast and live like a king in LA
  5. Duke - Money, history, huge NBA alumni base, fans  (but who knows if this will hold)
  6. Texas - Money, new arena, low expectations, 'cruits
  7. Michigan
  8. Indiana
  9. Louisville
  10. Arizona
  11. Florida
  12. Syracuse
  13. Michigan State
  14. Ohio State
  15. Baylor
  16. Cincinnati
  17. UCONN
  18. Villanova
  19. Illinois
  20. Gonzaga
  21. Arkansas
  22. Oklahoma
  23. Tennessee
  24. Oregon
  25. Maryland
  26. NC State
  27. Mizzou
  28. Oklahoma State
  29. Texas Tech
  30. Memphis
  31. LSU
  32. Iowa State

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Right now if you are a great coach, and you can coach at Michigan or Indiana, I think you take the Michigan job.  

I don’t think that's a super hot take. Michigan has been a better basketball program than IU for 35 years now. 

Indiana still has that weird mystical allure to it but at some point that will be forgotten. They haven't fallen quite as far as say, Nebraska, but it's comparable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, HookEm said:

In the era of NIL, I think the big, rich schools like UT, Michigan, Florida, Ohio State move way up the list of desirability.

Agreed.  I think you had Ohio State too low @ #14.  If we use endowment (hey-o) as a proxy for wealth, they're #6 on the list of public universities and systems:

1. University of Texas system

2. Texas A&M system

3. Michigan

4. University of California system

5. Virginia

6. Ohio State

other notables

9. UNC

10.  Penn State

11. U-Washington

12.  Wisconsin

The wild card there is California, because at the very least that gets "split" between UCLA and Cal-Berkeley, not to mention a half dozen other great schools.  However, UCLA is listed separately at #14, so I don't really know how that gets parsed.  Texas & Texas A&M are basically one-horse systems.  UVA is also a force to be reckoned with.

Edited by jimmyjazz

38 minutes ago, HookEm said:

In the era of NIL, I think the big, rich schools like UT, Michigan, Florida, Ohio State move way up the list of desirability.  Right now if you are a great coach, and you can coach at Michigan or Indiana, I think you take the Michigan job.  

I think this would be my ranking of job attractiveness if the job "suddenly" came open.

1. UNC - Jordan, Nike, history, fan support, money, class
  2. Kansas - Passionate, knowledgeable fanbase
  3. Kentucky - Biggest, most rabid fanbase who will do anything to win, but unrealistic
  4. UCLA - Dominate the west coast and live like a king in LA
  5. Duke - Money, history, huge NBA alumni base, fans  (but who knows if this will hold)
  6. Texas - Money, new arena, low expectations, 'cruits
  7. Michigan
  8. Indiana
  9. Louisville
  10. Arizona
  11. Florida
  12. Syracuse
  13. Michigan State
  14. Ohio State
  15. Baylor
  16. Cincinnati
  17. UCONN
  18. Villanova
  19. Illinois
  20. Gonzaga
  21. Arkansas
  22. Oklahoma
  23. Tennessee
  24. Oregon
  25. Maryland
  26. NC State
  27. Mizzou
  28. Oklahoma State
  29. Texas Tech
  30. Memphis
  31. LSU
  32. Iowa State

Michigan is still suffering from a pre-NIL psychology of not wanting to "lower themselves" by paying athletes. Their NIL infrastructure is nowhere close to what it should be.