UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

17 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

FYI, the guy who called his shot on this says these are the candidates:

Timmy Lloyd (think he must mean Tommy)

Nate Oats

Dennis Gates

What guy?

Gates is in year 1. That would be idiotic.

The more I think about it, Oats might be our best play. I’d argue Texas care more about basketball than Alabama, better NIL, and a new arena. Alabama (like aggy) can’t secure the funds to build a new arena (aggy wants to renovate, still can get the money).

39 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

What’s everyone obsession with Royal Ivey? He hasn’t been a head coach and I don’t care if he’s a UTEX. You need to lead a program somewhere else before you can lead a program here.

It makes no sense. He can be someone’s assistant if he wants but in no way should he even get considered for this job.

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

K-State is #17 in NET and 13-1. It's almost like they're good. 

I don't know why this particular game was a "turning point" on the season. I do agree the defense is troublesome right now but people were drastically undervaluing K-State. 

Kansas, Baylor, TCU, WVA, KSU in Manhattan, Okie lite, Tech, ISU... yeah, I can see double digit losses there.  And there has been a slow descent/transition to a new identity since Terry assumed the reins.  I hope I'm wrong, but mediocre head coaches get clobbered in this conference.

47 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

What’s everyone obsession with Royal Ivey? He hasn’t been a head coach and I don’t care if he’s a UTEX. You need to lead a program somewhere else before you can lead a program here.

Jerritt Elliott had never been a head coach before taking over Texas Volleyball and he's turned out pretty solid.
Joe Mazzulla had never been a head coach before taking over the Boston Celtics and he's crushing it so far.

I'm not on some big Ivey for HC kick, but the idea that he shouldn't be considered because he hasn't been a HC before is shortsighted.  If CDC went after Musselman and Oats and whoever else the seasoned names are and Ivey was the guy in the end, it wouldn't bother me one bit.  Jimmies and Joes matter more than Xs and Os and Texas could do a hell of a lot worse than having all those NBA Horns hanging around Austin more and pimping their buddy on social media.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

K-State is #17 in NET and 13-1. It's almost like they're good. 

I don't know why this particular game was a "turning point" on the season. I do agree the defense is troublesome right now but people were drastically undervaluing K-State. 

You're right. The turning point was Beard getting arrested for a felony assault charge. 

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Huh? Jerritt Ellliott took USC to the National Semifinals before Texas. 

As the Interim HC standing in for Mick Haley while he coached the national team.  He was never hired as the HC at USC and handed the program to run.

1 minute ago, Mittens said:

As the Interim HC standing in for Mick Haley while he coached the national team.  He was never hired as the HC at USC and handed the program to run.

Sure but he went 50-12 and made the National Semifinals in two seasons as the interim head coach. 

It was pretty obvious Elliott was a damn good head coach even if it was a favorable situation. 

37 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They went from smothering defense to no defense in a month.  I don't want to guess what they'll have devolved in to by March.

If you all haven't got enough of having your teams inexplicably crater, I'd be happy to let you take Brad Underwood off Illinois's hands if it meant that we'd then steal Dennis Gates from MIZNOZ.

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We? No. But if who CDC wants has a big buyout, we gotta pay it. He needs a slam dunk and not getting his guy just bc of a buyout would be a disaster. 

Buyouts:  
Oates $12.6m
Muss $14.5m
Lloyd $12m
Cronin $24m
Gates - looks fuzzy but likely ~5m
Dixon $8m
McCasland $3m?
Medved $8.4m
Enfield $6m?
Pasternack $600K

The potentially realistic home run list for me would be Oats, Lloyd (kinda doubt he'd leave though), Muss (also doubt he'd leave), and Jay Wright (sounds like he's not 100% retired for good, maybe by then he'll be ready).

Extreme longshots you could at least call - Billy Donovan and Brad Stevens. I know, I know, it's dumb to even mention them but you never know if they have a hankering to get back into the college game.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Jerritt Elliott had never been a head coach before taking over Texas Volleyball and he's turned out pretty solid.
Joe Mazzulla had never been a head coach before taking over the Boston Celtics and he's crushing it so far.

I'm not on some big Ivey for HC kick, but the idea that he shouldn't be considered because he hasn't been a HC before is shortsighted.  If CDC went after Musselman and Oats and whoever else the seasoned names are and Ivey was the guy in the end, it wouldn't bother me one bit.  Jimmies and Joes matter more than Xs and Os and Texas could do a hell of a lot worse than having all those NBA Horns hanging around Austin more and pimping their buddy on social media.

That may technically be true, but he was an interim head coach for multiple years at USC:

Prior to his appointment as head coach at Texas in April of 2001, Elliott posted two remarkable seasons as the interim head coach at the University of Southern California. He compiled a record of 50-12 while leading the Women of Troy to their first NCAA Semifinals appearance in 15 years and first-ever share of the Pac-10 Conference title. In 2000, USC finished the season ranked No. 4 nationally by both the AVCA and Volleyball Magazine while going 29-3 en route to the NCAA Semifinals. Elliott was honored as Pac-10 Coach of the Year both seasons, as well as being named the 2000 Pacific Region Coach of the Year.

Under the leadership of Elliott, the Trojans featured two All-Americans in 2000 (April Ross and Jennifer Pahl) and six all-conference players, including the Pac-10 and Region Freshman of the Year (Ross). In both 2000 and 2001, Elliott’s recruiting class was regarded as No. 1 in the nation, the school’s first-ever No. 1 recruiting classes.

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

So are we in limbo until the season is over?  I'd assume both of our 5 stars de-commit before a new coach is hired, but maybe I'm being too pessimistic 

Unless they hire somebody like Wright who isn't coaching anywhere. What would be the hold up in hiring him immediately if he wanted the job?

This sounds to me like the dream scenario. Hire Jay Wright, give Terry a raise to stay as the associate head coach, and get the show on the road. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If we hired Oates I wouldn’t be happy at all. Actually anyone outside of Jay wright or calapari would feel like a step down from what we had. 

Calipari would be a step down from what we had.

I also find it hilarious that Stevens continues to be brought up despite multiple people outlining why there is zero percent chance of that happening. Jay Wright is a total longshot. Donovan may have no desire to return to college but you could call his agent. Stevens has a better, easier job that he is paid a fuck ton of money for. You'd have to get into the teens for an annual salary to even get them to pick up the phone. 

Imo Calipari is like Jimbo. Excelled by playing the bag game better than most, but not really special as a coach. With NIL, his biggest strength is no longer really an asset.

Here's another longshot wildcard name - former Austin Toros HC (lol) Quin Snyder. Currently the Jazz coach but in the last year of his contract and reportedly turned down an extension last year. Quite a few summer articles about how his future was unclear. 

edit: there's also no f'ing way we're paying a bball coach $9 mil a year like Cal is getting at UK.

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

A lot of national media types are going to be angling for Terry to get the job because he's well liked. Just like with Cadillac Williams at Auburn. 

It's a lazy and biased take. Texas isn't hiring Terry. 

If we end up with Terry, CDC might as well show himself to the door.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I also find it hilarious that Stevens continues to be brought up despite multiple people outlining why there is zero percent chance of that happening. Jay Wright is a total longshot. Donovan may have no desire to return to college but you could call his agent. Stevens has a better, easier job that he is paid a fuck ton of money for. You'd have to get into the teens for an annual salary to even get them to pick up the phone. 

Why would Stevens want to come try to turn us into a basketball power?  I doubt he's that bored at his dream job.  I might as well try to get Kate Upton to be my date to my high school reunion.  Maybe she's bored with JV and all their millions, right?

Wright and Donovan are worth calling, but they're extreme longshots.

We're probably just fucked.

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't agree at all because college basketball has so many more good coaches than football. 

IMO, it will take a real fuck up to not hire a good coach. 

No idea why people don’t think CDC can hire a great to elite replacement. He didn’t hire Sark but his other hires have been nails 

Joffe

Schaefer

Beard

Floreal

Mike White 

• Hook 'Em 3

Football is just a total crap shoot. After Urban Meyer I wasn't enthused by anyone. I can name about 10 coaches in college basketball I would be more excited about than the names thrown around in college football (excluding Meyer of course).

I get losing Beard sucks but I would be surprised if Texas doesn't hire a really good coach based on the options available and CDC's hiring history. 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No idea why people don’t think CDC can hire a great to elite replacement. He didn’t hire Sark but his other hires have been nails 

Joffe

Schaefer

Beard

Floreal

Mike White 

Also the guy that he wanted for football is currently crushing at another school. Seems to me like we might want to gtfo the way and let the man work.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I get losing Beard sucks but I would be surprised if Texas doesn't hire a really good coach based on the options available and CDC's hiring history.

Yeah, my snarkiness aside, because I'm fucking pissed off that we just lost our Coach K, I think we'll land a promising coach. 

But I still want to break some stuff.

• Like 1