UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

16 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It's January. 

It's way too early to tell. 

But this news has probably gotten a few people talking. We will have to wait until April for a hire though. 

Yep. Gonna be a long 4 months of watching Terry bumble this very good team into barely making the NCAAs while we wait for a new coach to be announced after March Madness 

• Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yep. Gonna be a long 4 months of watching Terry bumble this very good team into barely making the NCAAs while we wait for a new coach to be announced after March Madness 

Texas is #13 in NET half way through the season. It's going to take some serious "bumbling" to barely make the NCAAs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Apparently the recruits like Terry.  He may actually be the leader in the clubhouse

Sounds good. That's why you pay him to remain the associate head coach. 

Just like what Auburn did with Cadillac Williams in football after he was the interim coach. You don't have to make him the head coach. Give him a lot of money to be the associate head coach. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

1 minute ago, petscii said:

Augie kept Tommy Harmon around.    

From a career point of view do you leave at the end of the season if you are Terry and are not given the HC job?

Does he like being one of the highest paid assistants in the country with an immense amount of job security being able to live in Austin long term? The guy had a head coaching job at UTEP before he came to Texas. He was a head coach at Fresno State before that. He was a head coach for 10 years, then decided to go back to being an assistant. It seems to me he found his ceiling. 

He wasn't a terrible head coach. But he wasn't exactly a great one, either. 

But he's not some kind of super assistant. He's a good recruiter, who is very loyal, knows his way around UT alumni and administrators. If he left it wouldn't be the end of the world, but he's a good value if the next head coach decides he wants to keep him.

Just realize every assistant on staff is in danger of being poached by Beard at his next job. Especially if he ever lands at someplace like Kentucky with a massive basketball budget. The guy is extremely charismatic. People are going to follow him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, petscii said:

Augie kept Tommy Harmon around.    

From a career point of view do you leave at the end of the season if you are Terry and are not given the HC job?

Terry is going to get a similar level job as UTEP if he isn't hired by Texas. A school he just left for an assistant job at Texas. Pay the man and he isn't going anywhere.

Any coach with a brain is going to want to retain Terry like Auburn did with Cadillac Williams. He's too valuable in recruiting and keeping the roster together. 

Jay Wright article:  https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/ap-jay-wright-at-ease-leaving-nova-after-fighting-it-as-coach/

He’s also smart enough to know recruitment calls will keep coming. Wright says he’s not interested in another coaching gig, for now. But hey, the phone lines are open.

“I say no,” he said. “Right now I have no interest. Right now. I just know enough about life to know that maybe it changes. I’m telling you, right now, I have no interest.”

Just now, Js1 said:

I bet we can name 95% of that list, or already have.

Gerry will be guessing. He has great contacts, but a coach's list will be more of a Gerry wishlist/guess list than some kind of insight. He's best with recruiting and reporting on the current team. But it's the business model. He has to put out something. 

I don't see how anyone will know anything until the rumors of McDonald's breakfasts start breaking out. And we're months away from that. Mostly what we'll get is either denials, or non denial denials. Or big salary extensions/raises. 

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

Gerry will be guessing. He has great contacts, but a coach's list will be more of a Gerry wishlist/guess list than some kind of insight.

So basically same as Surly.  Let me get it started:

Oats
Muss
Wright
Ivey
Terry, for continuity
some G5 coach like Golding or McCaslin
some "big" name like Cronin, bc UCLA is notoriously cheap

Just now, Js1 said:

So basically same as Surly.  Let me get it started:

Oats
Muss
Wright
Ivey
Terry, for continuity
some G5 coach like Golding or McCaslin
some "big" name like Cronin, bc UCLA is notoriously cheap

I don't see anyway Musselman gets hired away. I feel like people underestimate the passion of those fans and the money pouring into that program right now. They wandered in the desert for a long long time between 1996 and 2021. But he's got them rocking right now. I doubt anywhere other than Kentucky could hire him away at this point, and maybe not even the Wildcats. He has a good thing going up there. 

4 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I've never been much of a fan of Cronin but given his recent success at UCLA and how tough his Cincy teams were he'd be a good get for UT. 

As an opposing fan, I would dread it if UT hired him.  He's really damn good and would be a force in the Big 12.

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

What’s everyone obsession with Royal Ivey? He hasn’t been a head coach and I don’t care if he’s a UTEX. You need to lead a program somewhere else before you can lead a program here.

Fans usually ignore their long-held "we must only hire experienced head coaches at the P5 level" beliefs for beloved alumni.

It's dumb. Ivey can prove himself somewhere and then come home. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

What’s everyone obsession with Royal Ivey? He hasn’t been a head coach and I don’t care if he’s a UTEX. You need to lead a program somewhere else before you can lead a program here.

He was a beast defensively and a hardnosed loyal soldier to Barnes.  I'm not asking to hire him, but at least interview him.

He's the Head Coach for the South Sudan National Team, so you're wrong on that aspect.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Apparently the recruits like Terry.  He may actually be the leader in the clubhouse

Not a chance.  Were it possible, we'd have someone new in Stillwater on Saturday.  Terry is what he is, everyone knows what he is, what his level is, and he ain't the answer.  Recruits are free like him because they know he won't be their head coach here.

Silly question but is there some site where you can see, particularly since so many of them are publicly disclosed anyway, what coaches are in what year of their contract and how much they get?  I saw something like that for football before Sark got hired.  I would think it exists for hoops.  Obviously the right person says yes but still has two years left or whatever, we can buy them out.  But would be like to know who'll be the most active shoppers this April.  

12 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

He was a beast defensively and a hardnosed loyal soldier to Barnes.  I'm not asking to hire him, but at least interview him.

He's the Head Coach for the South Sudan National Team, so you're wrong on that aspect.

South Sudan? Lmao. Come back to America and build a program and then we can talk.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Texas is #13 in NET half way through the season. It's going to take some serious "bumbling" to barely make the NCAAs. 

I honestly don't see a lot of wins the rest of the way out if Tuesday was any indication.  Attempting to change in midstream from suffocating defense to Westhead's Loyola Marymount teams reeks of bumbling to me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Silly question but is there some site where you can see, particularly since so many of them are publicly disclosed anyway, what coaches are in what year of their contract and how much they get?  I saw something like that for football before Sark got hired.  I would think it exists for hoops.  Obviously the right person says yes but still has two years left or whatever, we can buy them out.  But would be like to know who'll be the most active shoppers this April.  

CDC can't fuck around with this hire. 

If the right coach is willing to come here, he has to agree to the buyout and go suck off some BMD for the money.  No matter the buyout.  

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

South Sudan? Lmao. Come back to America and build a program and then we can talk.

Lmao you were wrong.  🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Just helping you out so you can know wtf you’re talking about.

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Who is that?

Some poster on IT said the ax would come down today on Beard.  Also said Catalon to Texas Sunday.  We will see.

Oh, I agree.  I was wondering who'd have less leverage if they were outta their deal.  It should come to, there's probably 10-15 elite coaches at elite programs that are locked in until death.  I don't think anybody is interested in taking a chance on a mid-major or up-and-comer like Shaka ever again.  I've seen the same half dozen names repeated on here verbatim.  But basically other than that 'untouchable' group, do you just dangle $7mm/3 years with some options on the back-end, and see which coach bites?  We're in a weird spot here.  We can't just go after 1 or 2 guys like we usually do because they'll have too much leverage over us.

Sure we got the shiny new toy in Moody, and NIL money to spend like drunken sailors, but the roster will be gutted and that person will know we expect massive results immediately for all the money we're out to Beard, possible wrongful termination (though that gets paid out of a different pool of money at UT), and this new person's potential buyout.  I realize this is how it's always done at programs like ours, but these are extenuating circumstances.    

4 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I honestly don't see a lot of wins the rest of the way out if Tuesday was any indication.  Attempting to change in midstream from suffocating defense to Westhead's Loyola Marymount teams reeks of bumbling to me.

K-State is #17 in NET and 13-1. It's almost like they're good. 

I don't know why this particular game was a "turning point" on the season. I do agree the defense is troublesome right now but people were drastically undervaluing K-State.