UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

Just another kick in our collective nuts.  Another thing I didn't really think about was Beard is just 49 years old.  I mean unless Kentucky or somebody came calling a decade from now, we could have him here for 20+ years.  the fucking court at Moody woulda been named for him.  Now it's gonna be named after Mayor Fitlump after her ascension from two-time Austin mayor to leader of the galactic empire.  What the fuck Chris?  Hallelujah, holy shit, where's the Tylenol? 

anyway, it does beg the question...should age be taken into consideration in so far as a really seasoned, successful name who is in his 60's.  Ride him out for a 5-year deal and ride off into the sunset as a Longhorn?  Or do you go younger, shorter contract with optionality, and leave us into a position to trade in the near future?   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, YGIFS said:

Just another kick in our collective nuts.  Another thing I didn't really think about was Beard is just 49 years old.  I mean unless Kentucky or somebody came calling a decade from now, we could have him here for 20+ years.  the fucking court at Moody woulda been named for him.  Now it's gonna be named after Mayor Fitlump after her ascension from two-time Austin mayor to leader of the galactic empire.  What the fuck Chris?  Hallelujah, holy shit, where's the Tylenol? 

anyway, it does beg the question...should age be taken into consideration in so far as a really seasoned, successful name who is in his 60's.  Ride him out for a 5-year deal and ride off into the sunset as a Longhorn?  Or do you go younger, shorter contract with optionality, and leave us into a position to trade in the near future?   

I think you take the best one you can get to pick up where Beard left off. Look at Coach Vic.  He's 61 right now and probably has a good 5-7 more years.  If we can get a coach that can give us 6-8 more years and can hopefully take the steps Beard was taking. If a younger coach is available, then he can potentially give us the 15-20 years that Beard was probably headed towards.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Also - anyone here is welcome to find me an example of a football school paying their basketball coach more than their football coach. Please. I'm all ears. 

It's a great point that Gerry brought up and it's probably going to fuck Texas basketball over. 

Is there a chance that Texas breaks the bank and throws 5/40 at someone? Sure. Of course there is. 

But I'd like to see it before assuming that they're going to do something like that. 

“Hey Chris, why you paying the basketball coach 8 mil?  Give me a raise or I’m gonna take my 13-12 record to…..to……:to”

“Let me you stop you there Sark. I’ll give you a raise as soon as you win ten games.”

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

“Hey Chris, why you paying the basketball coach 8 mil?  Give me a raise or I’m gonna take my 13-12 record to…..to……:to”

“Let me you stop you there Sark. I’ll give you a raise as soon as you win ten games.”

Jesus dude read the thread and/or continue missing the point. Some of you must roll your window down in traffic to let the car next to you know how much Sark sucks at his job. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Jesus dude read the thread and/or continue missing the point. Some of you must roll your window down in traffic to let the car next to you know how much Sark sucks at his job. 

Sark just needs some time fella.  Herman left him a shitty cake.  But I’m gonna guess cdc isn’t gonna ask for his permission to pay our next coach whatever he wants to.  But hey, get one of them fancy bowl wins and then sark can throw his fit.  If I were him I’d stfu and wait till I actually win something.   

Like most of our ranked opponents, cdc isn’t worried about sark for now

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Snyder left the Jazz last June. Outstanding coach with a great basketball mind. Highly respected in Utah but also highly strung and thus took a step back from the game. He'll be sought after in the league when he decides to come back. When that is, who knows.

This will forever amuse me. 

8 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I would give all of your left nuts to steal Musselman.

Y'all really shouldn't be reproducing anyway.

I don’t plan on reproducing so I’ll volunteer mine as long you fund a good prosthetic testicle. No clackers 

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Sampson is a walking timebomb for NCAA violations. 

Sampson call recruits a decade and a half ago shouldn't be a concern 

He's not leaving Houston for anywhere though 

12 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Painter is a good coach but is a major choke artist in the tournament. 

12 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

A 5 second google says he makes 3.5.  Double that see what he says.  

He's at his alma mater 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Sampson call recruits a decade and a half ago shouldn't be a concern 

He's not leaving Houston for anywhere though 

He's also 67.  We need a program builder and maintainer, not a program builder on their way to retirement. 

• Like 1

Just now, UDontKnow said:

Chris Beard will be kicking himself for the rest of his life. He could have easily had a 20-25 run on the 40 Acres.

Yep.

If you want someone who is going to build it and then retire, Wright is 61. 

I want a younger, high energy guy.  Oats is 48. Muss is 58 but seemingly has the energy of a 38 year old, Lloyd is 48, Dan Hurley is 49, Sean Miller is 54. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Yep.

If you want someone who is going to build it and then retire, Wright is 61. 

I want a younger, high energy guy.  Oats is 48. Muss is 58 but seemingly has the energy of a 38 year old, Lloyd is 48, Dan Hurley is 49, Sean Miller is 54. 

My pipe dream is for Texas to hire Brad Stevens and bring him back to CBB.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

He said months ago under no circumstances would he even step in as coach if Mazzulla struggles on the court.  He sounds legit done with coaching, period. 

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

he turned down 7 years for $70 from Indiana a few years ago. i really, really, really don't think he's ever coming back to CBB or honestly ever leaving an NBA front office. at this point, why would he?

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He said months ago under no circumstances would he even step in as coach if Mazzulla struggles on the court.  He sounds legit done with coaching, period. 

1 minute ago, NoName said:

he turned down 7 years for $70 from Indiana a few years ago. i really, really, really don't think he's ever coming back to CBB or honestly ever leaving an NBA front office. at this point, why would he?

Hence, it is my pipe dream.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

Hence, it is my pipe dream.

that's fair - sorry seen a bunch of people suggest him and are super serious about wanting it to happen/thinking it will

Just now, Js1 said:

Tbh, 10 bucks per year sounds pretty awful 

probably why he turned it down haha

42 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Chris Beard will be kicking himself for the rest of his life. He could have easily had a 20-25 run on the 40 Acres.

We'll be kicking each other, as well, for a long time. Beard was our biggest hire (in the sports that matter) in many, many years. Everything we wanted was lined up - elite coach, elite recruiting, elite facility, elite support, elite Moody theme song by McConaughey. You name it. 

Nothing has changed since December 12 - prior to that day we had this giant ballon of unbridled optimism and hope and then a giant fucking needle was taken to it. And it sucks as much today as it did that morning. And it will continue sucking.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

We'll be kicking each other, as well, for a long time. Beard was our biggest hire (in the sports that matter) in many, many years. Everything we wanted was lined up - elite coach, elite recruiting, elite facility, elite support, elite Moody theme song by McConaughey. You name it. 

Nothing has changed since December 12 - prior to that day we had this giant ballon balloon of unbridled optimism and hope and then a giant fucking needle was taken to it. And it sucks as much today as it did that morning. And it will continue sucking.  

FIFY

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

The way things were looking, he could have made his name synonymous with Texas basketball.  Name on the court type shit.  Just a truly remarkable and depressing turn of events.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The way things were looking, he could have made his name synonymous with Texas basketball.  Name on the court type shit.  Just a truly remarkable and depressing turn of events.

chris beard's ceiling at Texas was becoming our Coach K, and possibly even supplanting Duke from their spot in the CBB hierarchy. we absolutely were set up to be successful for decades, and the architect of it all is just *poof* gone because of his psycho ass personal life. he had the world at his feet and he pissed it away over nothing. i thought i was stunned and kissed when Penders released Axtell's grades, a situation that looked like it would stunt the growth of the program, but ultimately worked out better than we probably could have hoped for. this is way beyond that. Beard just built the foundation for something very, very special, and then blew up the entire thing with a grenade launcher. un fucking believable.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

15 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's always funny when people make absolute statements in regards to coaches. 

"Jay Wright is not interested in coaching college hoops at this point." The amount of times I've heard this about coaches that end up coaching again would have me rich. 

It's only a longshot if you call him; otherwise, it's a no shot.

• Hook 'Em 1