UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

21 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

image.thumb.png.a1913e8fb99fcd01198b154dae1eb073.png

Not sure who is gonna like that concept less, Sark or Eltife.  Sorry, but at 13-12 and woefully overpaid---you're gonna have to sit back and take this one Steve.  You win the Big XII and get us (not necessarily CFP) but into the NY6 mix...then we can talk.  But yeah, Eltife's gonna throw a little fit about this but he'll come around. 

Pearl, like Sampson, is an excellent coach who could have had a long-term, hall of fame/court-naming career at a top tier program if not for the fact that they're also both impetuous, injudicious dipshit morons who couldn't be bothered to do the right thing (or at least give the appearance of playing by the rules) back in the days when that actually mattered. Both are penny wise/pound foolish assholes, and I root for both of them to visibly shit their pants every time I see them on television. 

But I have a specific loathing for both, given that they each fucked Illinois pretty badly during their long and meandering explorations of rules violations and abject dishonesty. 

I agree with Derka that there's a lot to like about Cronin. And while I get the general point about a reluctance to go after someone relatively "unproven," that's often part of the tradeoff if you're looking for a coach to build a legacy, and for that reason, I would put Gates pretty high on the list.

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Not sure who is gonna like that concept less, Sark or Eltife.  Sorry, but at 13-12 and woefully overpaid---you're gonna have to sit back and take this one Steve.  You win the Big XII and get us (not necessarily CFP) but into the NY6 mix...then we can talk.  But yeah, Eltife's gonna throw a little fit about this but he'll come around. 

Sark can stfu. But I doubt he says shit

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

That's a curious way of spinning Auburn's second elite eight and first final four in program history. Their program was so fucking awful from 2003-2014, the Wikipedia entry doesn't even list the two coaches who preceded Pearl.  "Pearl can't coach." LOL. Bizarre how married you are to this terrible take.

They have top 20 talent under Pearl and have finished inside the top 20 (I.e. Sweet 16) one time in 8 seasons. 

You didn’t respond to anything I said. If you think that’s maximizing talent through “good coaching” I guess I can’t help you. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, things are not trending the right direction with Cal at Kentucky. They’ve been mediocre to bad for some time now.

Maybe a change of scenery would be good but watching Cal’s offense is almost worse than Shaka. 

Fuck no.  But given that chant would be funny if we did get Oats.  

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm wondering if there's any way we can get Cronin to leave UCLA. as many of you will recall he was my first choice to replace shaka, back in shaka's second or third year here, and he's obviously been awesome since then. he also reminds me of Barnes, in that he's teams are always tough and physical, which i enjoy. he'll likely end up just being another guy who gets a raise be wise if this, but people need to add him to the "realistic" candidate list which includes musselman, lloyd, and oats. he'd be a much better hire than the names du jour right now, ie missouri's coach or jerome tang.

edit: if we hadn't just played/lost to k state then not a single person here would have mentioned tang. but we did just play/lose to his team, so now his name is all over this thread. let's try and do a little better folks. this board crushes rick barnes but then turns around like, "let's hire mccasland/tang/missou's hc to replace the best coach we've ever had! yeah! that's our standard!" come on.

No coach in their right mind would leave UCLA for Texas.

12 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

No coach in their right mind would leave UCLA for Texas.

Well, he just signed a new contract that puts him at $4.1M annual, so money might be a reason.  Lower cost of living and no state income tax would help.  Talent certainly wouldn't be a problem.  Pac 12 is kinda getting left in the dust with new conference alignments.  Ohio guy, which is a helluva lot closer to Austin and SEC schools than LA.

I'm not so sure you're right.

Edited by jimmyjazz

19 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, things are not trending the right direction with Cal at Kentucky. They’ve been mediocre to bad for some time now.

Maybe a change of scenery would be good but watching Cal’s offense is almost worse than Shaka. 

I admittedly am ignorant about Calipari. I just don't watch a lot of Kentucky basketball. But he seems like he hasn't done much lately. And now that he won't have an insane talent advantage over pretty much every opponent, i wonder if his actual coaching acumen is being exposed a bit.

Edited by Pam Cummings

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, he just signed a new contract that puts him at $4.1M annual, so money might be a reason.  Lower cost of living and no state income tax would help.  Talent certainly wouldn't be a problem.  Pac 12 is kinda getting left in the dust with new conference alignments.  Ohio guy, which is a helluva lot closer to Austin and SEC schools than LA.

I'm not so sure you're right.

In CBB you have an elite tier that includes Kansas, Kentucky, Duke North Carolina and UCLA.  Texas is no where close to that group.  Hell, in CBB program “eliteness” Arkansas is ahead of Texas but getting Muss to leave pig would be way easier than getting UCLA’s coach.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

Maybe one day people will stop assuming that a program’s historical prestige is the sole factor in the attractiveness of any given HC job. Program prestige isn’t unimportant, but Maslow’s hierarchy of needs tells us that prestige alone isn’t the end all be all for a lot of coaches.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

In CBB you have an elite tier that includes Kansas, Kentucky, Duke North Carolina and UCLA.  Texas is no where close to that group.  Hell, in CBB program “eliteness” Arkansas is ahead of Texas.

Thanks for the history lesson.  Not every coach weighs history the way you apparently do.  Pulling a Cronin from UCLA is a lot different than pulling a Self from Kansas.  Most likely Cronin wouldn't be interested, but it's not as if there are no factors in favor of UT over UCLA.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Pac 12 is kinda getting left in the dust with new conference alignments.  Ohio guy, which is a helluva lot closer to Austin and SEC schools than LA.

UCLA will be in the B1G soon and have the B1G money. I don’t see the PAC 12’s long term future being an issue for UCLA’s coach since UCLA will be gone soon 

53 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

A name I haven’t seen mentioned is Otzelberger. 

He’s doing a really good job at Iowa State and had success at other schools too. 

I mentioned him up thread. Would be a good name as well 

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

UCLA will be in the B1G soon and have the B1G money. I don’t see the PAC 12’s long term future being an issue for UCLA’s coach since UCLA will be gone soon 

Definitely a factor.  Still, west coast game times, costly, a longass way from Ohio, and what, equal local basketball talent at best?

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Definitely a factor.  Still, west coast game times, costly, a longass way from Ohio, and what, equal local basketball talent at best?

It’s a fair point. And we can easily give him a raise from $4.1m. It was still a surprise he signed that new contract extension that didn’t even give him a raise. UCLA is notoriously cheap sometimes 

• Hook 'Em 1

A substantial segment of the UCLA fanbase still expects to have the same level of success as John Wooden did several iterations of college basketball ago. 

There aren't that many people who feel that way, of course, but then, the fanbase is laughably and inexplicably small. They currently have the #10 team in the country, yet only managed to fill about half of their arena the other night against their biggest (and crosstown) rival. 

Not exactly ideal. 

I don't necessarily think Cronin would leave, but the UCLA job isn't all it's cracked up to be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

as i've said before, ucla lives out on a desert island, far away from the consciousness of 95% of CBB fans and recruits alike. nobody watches their games, nobody keeps up with their program, and nobody born after 1980 (earlier?) has any memory of UCLA being a dominant force/blue blood/elite destination. the job is not what it used to be, not by a long shot. UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas- that's the big 4. schools like UCLA and Indiana are no longer in that upper echelon, and haven't been for some time.

you can do everything at Texas that you can do at UCLA, while being paid way more, with no state income tax, while playing on prime time TV, in the Moody Center, in the heart of the best basketball recruiting ground in the country. the jobs themselves are at least equal in a vacuum, although i'd argue that Texas is actually the better job. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, shadow_operative said:

as i've said before, ucla lives out on a desert island, far away from the consciousness of 95% of CBB fans and recruits alike. nobody watches their games, nobody keeps up with their program, and nobody born after 1980 (earlier?) has any memory of UCLA being a dominant force/blue blood/elite destination. the job is not what it used to be, not by a long shot. UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas- that's the big 4. schools like UCLA and Indiana are no longer in that upper echelon, and haven't been for some time. you can do everything at Texas that you can do at UCLA, while being paid way more, with no state income tax, while playing on prime time TV, in the Moody Center, in the heart of the best basketball recruiting ground in the country. the jobs themselves are at least equal in a vacuum, although i'd argue that Texas is actually the better job. 

The only competition UCLA has on the west side of the country is U of A and Gonzaga. The program doesn't have great support at games (students are nerds and don't care), but it actually has strong donor support. Pretty great job with relatively low pressure, great weather and little media coverage. Very different job than Texas, but not necessarily worse. 

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is known.  I recall their football coach was getting something like $1M maybe a decade or so ago.  Of course, football for UCLA is like basketball for Texas, but still.

Texas’ softball coach makes as much as UCLA’s WBB coach. Our WBB coach makes $1.8m. Pierce is over a million too. Texas will definitely throw money that UCLA won’t/can’t. 

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

True but unless Hunter is transferring again I don’t know where he’s going. He looks nothing like a NBA prospect right now. 

Would likely be eligible for a waiver since his head coach is gone. Coaching changes usually are auto waivers for second transfers 

51 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think anyone is claiming it's unequivocally worse.  Different coaches are going to prioritize different things, and the two jobs are different.

The post that I responded to actually claimed exactly that. In any case, I think Oats and Musselman make more sense for the Texas program than Cronin. 

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Would likely be eligible for a waiver since his head coach is gone. Coaching changes usually are auto waivers for second transfers 

They're all auto waivers. I don't know why people continue to insist there's going to be some penalty for a player who transfers multiple times. The NCAA has made it extremely clear they will grant waivers in every single instance. 

2 minutes ago, pops said:

Musselman can coach.... but he's such a fucking tool. And if you are tired of a spouse causing issues.....

There shouldn't be anyone tired of spouses causing issues. If that's the conclusion people are drawing from the Beard firing...it's the wrong conclusion. It's possible to have relationship drama without it turning into a felony arrest.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

There shouldn't be anyone tired of spouses causing issues. If that's the conclusion people are drawing from the Beard firing...it's the wrong conclusion. It's possible to have relationship drama without it turning into a felony arrest.

As long as he doesn’t hit her and get arrested or bring their drama into the locker room / out in public on road trips. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

.No thanks to Royal Ivey.  Juwan Howard, Patrick Ewing, Clyde Drexler, Kevin Ollie (he even inherited a championship team from Calhoun and still managed to get run out of college in a few short years), etc.  We know how that story ends. 

With a cookout?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

No thanks to Royal Ivey.  Juwan Howard, Patrick Ewing, Clyde Drexler, Kevin Ollie (he even inherited a championship team from Calhoun and still managed to get run out of college in a few short years), etc.  We know how that story ends. 

Yeah, I get that we all loved that FF squad and royal is a longhorn legend, etc.... but jesus christ. How many of the top 10-15 programs in this country would pursue Ivey if they needed to hire a HC. My guess is probably none of them, and there's a reason for that. 

39 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:
I like the Cronin idea.  I honestly don’t think UCLA would get in a bidding war.  Musselman, Oats and Lloyd would still be my top choices, though, other than the pipe dream types like Wright or Donovan coming back to college coaching.  I probably like Musselman most of that group due to his track record with recruiting and the transfer portal.
Otzelberger is a reasonable next tier candidate.  I’m sure we could pay a lot more than ISU, and Texas is a better job.  However, he has pretty strong ties to ISU.  He was a long time assistant there, and his wife is a former player for the ISU women’s team.  So, he might be a guy that actually stays there for less money than we could offer as long as they give him some kind of raise.  I’m not sure we’d give him a huge deal, anyway, unless he goes to the Final Four this year.
No thanks to Royal Ivey.  Juwan Howard, Patrick Ewing, Clyde Drexler, Kevin Ollie (he even inherited a championship team from Calhoun and still managed to get run out of college in a few short years), etc.  We know how that story ends. 

79d5686b39411fcf1552fa3e5c7ec34a.gif

Edited by Brothahorn
I couldn't miss that lob.
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Hard no on Pitinos kid. He’s doing well at UNM now but he’s already shown he doesn’t have it at the top level 

Tubby Smith won a national title at UK and he didn't set the world on fire at Minnesota.  And he was 56 when he arrived there; Pitino is all of 40. I'm not advocating for Pitino to Austin, but you seem obsessed.  Did he fuck your wife or something?

52 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I like the Cronin idea.  I honestly don’t think UCLA would get in a bidding war.  Musselman, Oats and Lloyd would still be my top choices, though, other than the pipe dream types like Wright or Donovan coming back to college coaching.  I probably like Musselman most of that group due to his track record with recruiting and the transfer portal.

Otzelberger is a reasonable next tier candidate.  I’m sure we could pay a lot more than ISU, and Texas is a better job.  However, he has pretty strong ties to ISU.  He was a long time assistant there, and his wife is a former player for the ISU women’s team.  So, he might be a guy that actually stays there for less money than we could offer as long as they give him some kind of raise.  I’m not sure we’d give him a huge deal, anyway, unless he goes to the Final Four this year.

Buyouts

Oates $12.6m
Muss $14.5m
Lloyd $12m
Cronin $24m
Gates - looks fuzzy but likely ~5m
Dixon $8m
McCasland $3m?
Medved $8.4m
Enfield $6m?
Pasternack $600K

32 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Tubby Smith won a national title at UK and he didn't set the world on fire at Minnesota.  And he was 56 when he arrived there; Pitino is all of 40. I'm not advocating for Pitino to Austin, but you seem obsessed.  Did he fuck your wife or something?

I seem obsessed because I don’t want him to coach here? He was a failure at a big program. Why would I want him to get the job? 
What a weird response