UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Have they finished picking up the pieces of Hogs from the Moody court yet? You don’t often see a beatdown like that, from a supposed basketball school.

You know the historical record isn't in your favor when you start referencing an exhibition result.  Congrats.  You got us.  

24 minutes ago, Kormit The Frug said:

No one gives a fuck about Arkansas. Not now, not ever. In fact when most people try to name all 50 states, Arkansas is the one they forget. Fuck you and fuck Arkansas. 

Seems you care given your avatar.  

1 hour ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

How else do you think we drew as many as we did during the years of the 3rd level of Dante's Inferno that was Stan Health, John Pelphrey and Mike Anderson?  

Because they play in Fayetteville, Arkansas. What the fuck else is anyone going to do? 

The average attendance at Bud Walton was 12,000/20,000 in 2011. For a team that went 7-9 in the SEC. 

The lowest home attendance for your shitty, 4-8 football team in 2012 was 64,000/76,000. 

10 minutes ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

You know the historical record isn't in your favor when you start referencing an exhibition result.  Congrats.  You got us.  

He probably mentioned it because it just happened. What? Shall we start bringing out 1980s SWC smack talking?

Is that with or without Rodney Terry calling the shots?  

Texas has never been in a better position than Arkansas in basketball.  Ever.  Not now.  Not during your boy Tommy Penders' ERA where Nolan routinely worked him like a rented mule.  And not in the future.  Congrats on UT having some NIL set up for basketball.  You don't think Arkansas does?  How do you think we have 4 first rounders on the squad who wasn't on campus a year ago?  How do you think we signed a 5* out of Colorado coming in next year?  

Lanny Van Eman says howdy.

Goodness.  Imagine thinking Arkansas is concerned about having to compete with Texas in basketball.  Let's check the historical record, shall we?  87-68 pork.  

If Muss is leaving it is for the West Coast, not some school that just built an arena that holds 11K and is more concerned about spring football than basketball.  

This is real dumb even for a hog.

”just built an arena that holds 11k”. You’re an idiot.
Since when are the pigs concerned about Basketball over spring football?

Texas fans get ragged on for living in the past via their 2005-2009 football teams.

From 1997-2018 Arkansas either didn't make the tournament or didn't make it to the Sweet 16.  The last 2 years have been very good, with Elite 8 squads . . . which is exactly why some are suggesting Musselman might be a good candidate to take over at Texas.

Oh, during that 1997-2018 time frame Texas made 3 Sweet Sixteens, 2 Elite Eights, and a Final Four.  So, you know, "history" doesn't exactly lean so clearly the way the average Hog fan might think it does.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So, you know, "history" doesn't exactly lean so clearly the way the average Hog fan might think it does.

Ark - 6 Final Fours, 1 Runner Up, 1 Natty

Texas - 3 Final Fours, 0 Runner Up, 0 Natty

Head to Head: 87 - 68 in favor of Arkansas.  

It very clearly leans one way.  

Plus, this: 

Edited by Lowcountry Hog

1 minute ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

Ark - 6 Final Fours, 1 Runner Up, 1 Natty

Texas - 3 Final Fours, 0 Runner Up, 0 Natty

Head to Head: 87 - 68 in favor of Arkansas.  

It very clearly leans one way.  

That's a different argument, and one I would not dispute.  But that's not what you said.  Let's revist your gem of a dropped turd:

Texas has never been in a better position than Arkansas in basketball.  Ever.

I just proved we were demonstrably better than Arkansas between 1997 and 2018.  QED.  (Call your high school Latin teacher, if you had one.)

By the way, I was at the Strollin' Nolan game.  He's a petulant dick, but in a weird way those 40 Minutes of Hell teams were fun to watch, except when we were going up against them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I’m just going to say it, who amongst us, looking back didn’t watch all of these coaches, over all the years starting with Coach K, Dean Smith, Jim Boeheim, to Lute Olson, and didn’t think that for one second they didn’t go a little too far with a hooker. I mean, come on man!

In all seriousness, with all the resources this University has why don’t we have a clean up crew?

2 hours ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

How do you think we have 4 first rounders on the squad who wasn't on campus a year ago?  How do you think we signed a 5* out of Colorado coming in next year?  

*weren't

53 minutes ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

High school Latin teacher?  Why, us poor ol' Arkies are lucky to make it out of grade school.  

image.gif.65d3a170dd94f2eb05f07c9b7e4784a6.gif

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

2 hours ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

Clearly you've never enjoyed an evening of cruising the local Sonic or frequenting the spacious aisles of a newly renovated WalMart.  

Fuck you pig, but never leave.

Love that this rivalry is getting rekindled. I hope Muss comes to Texas to add more fuel to the fire.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yes but you’re in Arkansas.   

Indeed.  Wonder why I saw so many of y’all douchecanoes vacationing at our lakes in the summer?  I know it wasn’t the intellectual conversations you were having with the Cogburns from Monroe and Shreveport who happened to let their parole officer know they were leaving the state for a few weeks 

44 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Is he a NBA scout now?  He was at the Creighton game.

Consultant for the Lakers, I believe. 

Snyder has been mentioned on a few sites. He could do in a pinch, but the problem is he hasn’t coached college since 2006. My worry with him (and anyone coming from the NBA with no current college experience) is he’d have to learn the ways of the portal and NIL. I’d rather have someone with that experience already. 

Regarding Oats:  someone mentioned his wife's cancer and thus his possible reluctance to move off the 'bama job.  She was diagnosed in 2015, and he took the job with the Tide in 2019.  According to an article from March of this year, she is cancer-free, so her health may not be a big hurdle.

He also earns ~ $3.2M, and while I suspect 'bama might match any offer, nothing is written in stone.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

Indeed.  Wonder why I saw so many of y’all douchecanoes vacationing at our lakes in the summer?  I know it wasn’t the intellectual conversations you were having with the Cogburns from Monroe and Shreveport who happened to let their parole officer know they were leaving the state for a few weeks 

Nostalgia.  Most of us have seen Deliverance and liked it.  Why pass up the chance to visit the set?

54 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Regarding Oats:  someone mentioned his wife's cancer and thus his possible reluctance to move off the 'bama job.  She was diagnosed in 2015, and he took the job with the Tide in 2019.  According to an article from March of this year, she is cancer-free, so her health may not be a big hurdle.

He also earns ~ $3.2M, and while I suspect 'bama might match any offer, nothing is written in stone.

I’m also not sure Alabama has NIL set up for hoops similar to what we have or will have. I saw that Alabama is trying to build a new basketball arena, but just like aggy, they don’t have secure funds to do that. What I like about Oats is his ability to recruit as well, and to a place that really just goes to basketball games because there’s nothing else to do in the town and not because they really support it a la football. (You can sort of say that about Texas, but I really feel/felt Beard [and Vic] was building something larger.)

I don’t know that Alabama would match what we would be willing to pay. Like you said, they *might* but do they care to?

43 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I’m also not sure Alabama has NIL set up for hoops similar to what we have or will have. I saw that Alabama is trying to build a new basketball arena, but just like aggy, they don’t have secure funds to do that. What I like about Oats is his ability to recruit as well, and to a place that really just goes to basketball games because there’s nothing else to do in the town and not because they really support it a la football. (You can sort of say that about Texas, but I really feel/felt Beard [and Vic] was building something larger.)

I don’t know that Alabama would match what we would be willing to pay. Like you said, they *might* but do they care to?

Acknowledging the advantages Texas has over places like Arkansas & Alabama when it comes to our NIL program, facilities, and ease of recruiting. The counterweight I see, and I could be totally off base, is a perceived toxicity within the administration/basketball program. Beard and Shaka will both have left under less than graceful circumstances. I'm less certain on the details of Barnes' departure, but it's open for debate as to why he's found his stride again after moving away. I wonder if there a notion within coaching circles that the juice just ain't worth the squeeze at Texas.

Beard was the perfect guy to handle the internal pressures of this job. Oates & Muss may be assessing what they've built at marginally inferior programs and come away thinking the grass isn't always greener. That's why I think we'll ultimately land a guy from a program with a much more exaggerated resource disparity than say Arkansas or Alabama. 

Edited by CheesePie

12 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

The counterweight I see, and I could be totally off base

You are. Shaka was a horrible coach and he still got six fucking seasons here. And while here he bumblefucked his way into landing half a dozen NBA players including four first rounders. Beard left a program where he had had immense success for Texas and was trending towards immediate success here. Barnes has split a conference title and won 4 tournament games in 7 seasons at Tennessee. Any coach half a step better than Shaka should easily be able to achieve that in 7 seasons at Texas. Texas may have the "best" ratio of expectations to resources in the country - i.e. it's not only easy to win you aren't pressured to win like you would be at a blue blood or basketball school. 

The only program that's a mess behind the scenes and a headache to deal with at Texas is the football program. How anyone could argue otherwise is beyond me. 

• Hook 'Em 2