UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

Grant McCasland.  And before you dismiss the thought, go read his bio.

Defense was the calling card for UNT in 2021-22 as they owned the nation's No. 1 scoring defense.

Lots of overlap with Beard.  McCasland turned down 3mil+ from SMU this past offseason to stay at UNT, waiting for the right job.

Edited by texashorn13
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, texashorn13 said:

Grant McCasland.  And before you dismiss the thought, go read his bio.

Lots of overlap with Beard.  McCasland turned down 3mil+ from SMU this past offseason to stay at UNT, waiting for the right job.

I would take Kevin "Lil Freddy" Kruger or Lil' Ricky Pitino over him

6 minutes ago, GeorgetownLaw said:

I know but it was meant as a joke. Our program is wandering in a desert right now. I’m as befuddled as everyone else. 

No, our program just moved into the palace located at the oasis but the guy who drove us there shot himself in the dick and can't drive anymore. We are not in the desert but I realize nobody can stop message board melodrama. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No, our program just moved into the palace located at the oasis but the guy who drove us there shot himself in the dick and can't drive anymore. We are not in the desert but I realize nobody can stop message board melodrama. 

Dude, Really struggle with metaphors don’t you?  Only “melodrama” between us in your post. 

7 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

Grant McCasland.  And before you dismiss the thought, go read his bio.  Lots of overlap with Beard.  McCasland turned down 3mil+ from SMU this past offseason to stay at UNT, waiting for the right job.

Interesting... Found blurb in "10 Coaches on the Rise in Men’s College Basketball" from Oct 2021

Grant McCasland, North Texas

In five years as a D-I head coach, McCasland has won 20 or more games four times. The lone year he didn’t win 20 games, he won an NCAA tournament game. McCasland also won a national title as a juco coach and won 82% of his games as a D-II coach. The guy is just a winner. A member of Scott Drew’s strong coaching tree, McCasland’s no-middle defense is schemed similarly to how Baylor and Texas Tech have played in recent years, and his teams also run efficient offense in the halfcourt. Star point guard Javion Hamlet graduated from last year’s special team, but expect North Texas to be among the C-USA’s best for as long as McCasland roams the sidelines in Denton.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/10/27/ncaa-basketball-top-mid-major-coaches

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting... Found blurb in "10 Coaches on the Rise in Men’s College Basketball" from Oct 2021

Grant McCasland, North Texas

In five years as a D-I head coach, McCasland has won 20 or more games four times. The lone year he didn’t win 20 games, he won an NCAA tournament game. McCasland also won a national title as a juco coach and won 82% of his games as a D-II coach. The guy is just a winner. A member of Scott Drew’s strong coaching tree, McCasland’s no-middle defense is schemed similarly to how Baylor and Texas Tech have played in recent years, and his teams also run efficient offense in the halfcourt. Star point guard Javion Hamlet graduated from last year’s special team, but expect North Texas to be among the C-USA’s best for as long as McCasland roams the sidelines in Denton.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/10/27/ncaa-basketball-top-mid-major-coaches

Honestly don't mind that at all.  Obviously has TX recruiting ties.  Also, fuck Scott Drew with a pineapple.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

About as expected I’d say. I agree with @ztejas though. I want no part of Calipari

Same. 

I think there are better names out there. I think Texas is a stronger job than people think, which is why it’s so baffling to me so many people are pushing Terry for the top spot without understanding context. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Horn Dog said:

How much is Colorado paying Dion Sanders?   He may not know shit about basketball but who gives a shit at this point

$5.5m in Year 1, $29.5m total across 5 years?

The contract has Sanders scheduled to earn $5.5 million in his first season, with a base pay of $500,000 supplemented by $1.75 million for radio, television, and public appearances; another $1.75 million for promotion and fundraising; and another $1.5 million for "development of the student-athlete.

another place says Year 1 is actually $5.9m, either way that gives you the range

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Same. 

I think there are better names out there. I think Texas is a stronger job than people think, which is why it’s so baffling to me so many people are pushing Terry for the top spot without understanding context. 

Are people actually pushing for that? I haven’t seen anyone actually widgets it, but it would be a monumentally stupid take if they are. 

I definitely think Oats and Muschamp are the most obvious if we could get them. After that, you have promising guys at small schools, but they’re pretty unproven and CDC certainly seems to target coaches who have already proven themselves at the P5 level. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Don't entertain this argument from some random pig fan.  Musselman may or may not be interested in a move, but if he isn't, it's not because Arkansas is some holy grail of college basketball destinations.  More than likely, he would just want to finish the job, which he is a long way from doing, and soon he is going to have to COMPETE with us.

Goodness.  Imagine thinking Arkansas is concerned about having to compete with Texas in basketball.  Let's check the historical record, shall we?  87-68 pork.  

If Muss is leaving it is for the West Coast, not some school that just built an arena that holds 11K and is more concerned about spring football than basketball.  

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Are people actually pushing for that? I haven’t seen anyone actually widgets it, but it would be a monumentally stupid take if they are. 

I definitely think Oats and Muschamp are the most obvious if we could get them. After that, you have promising guys at small schools, but they’re pretty unproven and CDC certainly seems to target coaches who have already proven themselves at the P5 level. 

College Football Sport GIF by SEC Network

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

definitely think Oats and Muschamp are the most obvious if we could get them.

Pretty much why Muss will have no interest in UT.  The fanbase mistakes him for a knuckledragging, mouthbreathing football defensive coordinator who couldn't manage his own program at two different SEC programs, including Florida.  

3 minutes ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

Goodness.  Imagine thinking Arkansas is concerned about having to compete with Texas in basketball.  Let's check the historical record, shall we?  87-68 pork.  

Outstanding take.  How are things looking right now?  Had Beard not fucked up, Texas was passing Arkansas in the HOV lane.  The question isn't whether a given coach might do as well as Beard appeared to be doing, it's whether a given coach can upgrade from his current position, and rest assured UT is a far better position than Arkansas going forward.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

Pretty much why Muss will have no interest in UT.  The fanbase mistakes him for a knuckledragging, mouthbreathing football defensive coordinator who couldn't manage his own program at two different SEC programs, including Florida.  

I guess Arkansas has to be a basketball school now since they haven’t won shit in football for about 6 decades. Doesn’t mean you’re a good basketball school, but you are a basketball school. 

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

and rest assured UT is a far better position than Arkansas going forward

Is that with or without Rodney Terry calling the shots?  

Texas has never been in a better position than Arkansas in basketball.  Ever.  Not now.  Not during your boy Tommy Penders' ERA where Nolan routinely worked him like a rented mule.  And not in the future.  Congrats on UT having some NIL set up for basketball.  You don't think Arkansas does?  How do you think we have 4 first rounders on the squad who wasn't on campus a year ago?  How do you think we signed a 5* out of Colorado coming in next year?  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:
5 minutes ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

I guess Arkansas has to be a basketball school now since they haven’t won shit in football for about 6 decades. Doesn’t mean you’re a good basketball school, but you are a basketball school. 

I'd quibble with being a "good basketball school" because we are.  But the football program sucks hind tit, no doubt.  I look forward to Texas joining the SEC so our schedule eases up.  

• Haha 1

McCasland is a damn good coach.  So is Joe Pasternack at UC Santa Barbara.  If you don't like coaches from smaller conferences and miss on Oats and Mussellman, throw a Hail Mary at Jay Wright.  I know he's Philly through and through, and   I've been told by friends in Philly that he will only come out of retirement if the Sixers come calling - and only with a truckoad of $$$ - but he might not hate NIL so much if he had the NIL Death Star at his disposal.

4 minutes ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

not some school that just built an arena that holds 11K and is more concerned about spring football than basketball.  

Implying that Arkansas cares more about basketball than football is fucking hysterical. As is the continued "arena seating capacity" flex. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

Stupid question.  We're talking about Muss and whether he'd make the move if offered.

Texas has never been in a better position than Arkansas in basketball.  Ever.  Not now.  Not during your boy Tommy Penders' ERA where Nolan routinely worked him like a rented mule.  And not in the future.  Congrats on UT having some NIL set up for basketball.  You don't think Arkansas does?  How do you think we have 4 first rounders on the squad who wasn't on campus a year ago?  How do you think we signed a 5* out of Colorado coming in next year?  

LOL.  OK, pig.  Sooie.  

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Implying that Arkansas cares more about basketball than football is fucking hysterical. As is the continued "arena seating capacity" flex.

I wouldn't say UA and the fans care more about basketball than football, but they care just as much.  How else do you think we drew as many as we did during the years of the 3rd level of Dante's Inferno that was Stan Health, John Pelphrey and Mike Anderson?  

17 minutes ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

A nerve was hit

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

No one gives a fuck about Arkansas. Not now, not ever. In fact when most people try to name all 50 states, Arkansas is the one they forget. Fuck you and fuck Arkansas. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1