UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

Glancing at the current top 25:

• Highly unlikely to jump - Painter, Bennett, Self, Drew, Calipari, Few, Scheyer, Gard, Holtmann, Larranaga
  • Big old no thanks: Sampson (too old), Pearl (lol), Dixon, Underwood
  • Still have a lot to prove: Janhs, Willard, Young
  • No Rick Barnes 2.0
  • Muss, Oates, Hurley, Lloyd, Cronin? 
Edited by Js1

Arizona only has 1 title. I thought they had more than that. They also haven’t been to the FF since 2001. 

Despite that, it just feels like Arizona is a better job than Texas due to prestige. I don’t see Lloyd happening unless CDC does his magic. (Then again, I didn’t see the women hiring Vic either.)

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Pretty lateral, all things considered, IMO. 

Is it? A lot of these non-USC/UCLA coaches are going to have to make decisions about their careers and whether it makes more sense to move to SEC/B1G programs.  Arizona is in that weird in-between - they could stay in a watered down Pac-12 without the SoCal schools or they could join the Big 12, but down the road, maybe, who knows? 

CDC should be able to sell the shit out of a new arena and a move to a new conference. 

Edited by Js1

17 minutes ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Interim coach? Avery Johnson. He’s well connected to some BMD at Texas and knows Jay as well. He’s around campus for some of the sports leadership and sports analytics stuff as well as some real estate events.

Yeah? I would be surprised if they don't just promote an assistant for continuity. This is still a great team and a new coach changing things in the middle of the season may do more harm than good.

Of course this is basketball, NBA teams change coaches midseason all the time so maybe it is not as big of a deal as other sports.

8 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah? I would be surprised if they don't just promote an assistant for continuity. This is still a great team and a new coach changing things in the middle of the season may do more harm than good.

Of course this is basketball, NBA teams change coaches midseason all the time so maybe it is not as big of a deal as other sports.

Terry is likely the coach the rest of the season. I think it’s possible he might get a short term offer if results go perfect. Otherwise I think we are shopping all season and announcing after the season.

I originally said it jokingly but I really would like us to go after Nash if he would be interested in such a thing. Ivey was on staff at BKN with him and he has the ties to KD. I also don’t see how he wouldn’t be an incredible influence and recruiter. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I like Lloyd and Musselman are quasi realistic options.  Oats would be below them in my pecking order. But he would still be a good candidate all things considered, and Alabama feels like a place that’s easier to leave in basketball than Arkansas or Arizona.  

Oats would be right there.

2 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Didn’t Indiana have an interim coach take them to the FF a while back? They hired him and he was a disaster?

In 2001, yes.

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Terry is likely the coach the rest of the season. I think it’s possible he might get a short term offer if results go perfect. Otherwise I think we are shopping all season and announcing after the season.

I originally said it jokingly but I really would like us to go after Nash if he would be interested in such a thing. Ivey was on staff at BKN with him and he has the ties to KD. I also don’t see how he wouldn’t be an incredible influence and recruiter. 

I don’t think Nash is a college coach. No experience, hasn’t had to deal with the portal, doesn’t sound like the recruiting type. He strikes me as NBA only.

At this point, I’d take Brock as the HC instead of Terry.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Right right all police reports hold up in court and are always 1000% accurate.

So, to be clear, your contention is that this police report could be incorrect to the extent that we should retain Beard, and that the #metoo brigade is canceling him before all the facts come out?

I'd argue instead that you're enough of a fucking moron that even a relative lurker like myself knows it, and takes like that are embarrassing.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

So, to be clear, your contention is that this police report could be incorrect to the extent that we should retain Beard, and that the #metoo brigade is canceling him before all the facts come out?

I'd argue instead that you're enough of a fucking moron that even a relative lurker like myself knows it, and takes like that are embarrassing.

No I’m saying let him have his day in court. If every police report was correct we wouldn’t have wrongful convictions. We have a legal system that decides guilt not posters on surly. If he is then yes fire him.