2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I started to write a post about how there was no way Pressly, in the month of May, was going to go back out there for a 2nd inning when he pitched yesterday.

...even if he only threw 5 pitches yesterday.

...and 10 in his 1 inning of work tonight

And then I stopped.  Send him back out there, Dusty. 

and Abreu, it’s time to be a Major League pitcher or gtfo. No excuse for the location on that fastball. And really that entire inning. He couldn’t command the breaking ball, so what do you know: a guy sits dead red and then you serve it in his wheelhouse 

This is one of those games that sucks balls to lose but rests entirely on the shoulders of the pitcher tasked with the job of getting that final out. There is no justification to bang on Dusty Baker for not running Pressly out there again tonight after getting key outs last night and tonight. Someone else has to step up and get big outs and I'd rather test someone's mettle in May than late September or mid October. 

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

Poor Rangers fans, their equivalent to Julia is a leathered out homely old mom.

Emily Jones is my cousin through marriage. Love sports like everyone on this board and can hold her own through any conversation about all the sports.

Can we stop with the ignorant idiocy that the vaccine makes everyone bulletproof?  Dusty may actually be pretty wise to continue to wear the mask, if he or those close to him have underlying conditions.  Doctors still recommend that some who are vulnerable continue to wear a mask in public post-vaccine.  Not that a doctor would know 'science'...

Just one county already has 82 hospitalizations and 8 deaths among those already vaccinated.  (And no, most of those didn't catch it right after being vaccinated while their bodies were adjusting).  Percentage wise that's still a very low risk, but of course it goes up when you narrow it down to those with certain underlying conditions.  ChiCom Virus weakened in a vaccinated person can still really mess up someone with diabetes, for example.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas-county-reports-506-covid-19-cases-8-deaths-among-fully-vaccinated-people

...Dallas County health officials say the eight fully vaccinated people who died were immunocompromised, on immunosuppressant medication or had high-risk underlying health conditions. 

But despite these breakthrough cases, doctors say the vaccines are still very effective. 

"We know these vaccines aren’t going to be 100% effective," said Dallas County Medical Society President Dr. Beth Kassanoff-Piper. "There’s really no vaccine that is that good."

Dallas County Health and Human Services is reporting 506 breakthrough COVID-19 cases out of the more than 848,000 fully vaccinated people in the county so far. Of those cases, 82 people have been hospitalized and eight have died.

"Some breakthroughs are expected, but they’re very few and generally speaking," Kassanoff-Piper said. "Most people who get a breakthrough infection do extremely well. Their symptoms are very mild or even asymptomatic."

As CDC guidance changes on masks and Texas bans cities and counties from requiring them, doctors say those with underlying conditions or taking immunosuppressant medications may need extra precautions.

"Those people, even if they’re fully vaccinated, really need to talk to their doctor about their personal risk," Kassanoff-Piper said. "And it may not be wise for those people to go unmasked. What worries us though is are the people who are not yet vaccinated are gonna feel like this means I can do what I want to do. If I don’t want to wear a mask, I don’t have to. They’re putting themselves at risk."

As efforts to get more people vaccinated continue, UT Southwestern has identified the first two cases of a new COVID-19 variant from India in North Texas.

"This one seems to be 60 percent more transmissible than the usual virus," explained Dr. Jeffrey SoRelle, UT Southwestern assistant instructor of pathology....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Can we stop with the ignorant idiocy that the vaccine makes everyone bulletproof?  Dusty may actually be pretty wise to continue to wear the mask, if he or those close to him have underlying conditions.  Doctors still recommend that some who are vulnerable continue to wear a mask in public post-vaccine.  Not that a doctor would know 'science'...

Just one county already has 82 hospitalizations and 8 deaths among those already vaccinated.  (And no, most of those didn't catch it right after being vaccinated while their bodies were adjusting).  Percentage wise that's still a very low risk, but of course it goes up when you narrow it down to those with certain underlying conditions.  ChiCom Virus weakened in a vaccinated person can still really mess up someone with diabetes, for example.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas-county-reports-506-covid-19-cases-8-deaths-among-fully-vaccinated-people

...Dallas County health officials say the eight fully vaccinated people who died were immunocompromised, on immunosuppressant medication or had high-risk underlying health conditions. 

But despite these breakthrough cases, doctors say the vaccines are still very effective. 

"We know these vaccines aren’t going to be 100% effective," said Dallas County Medical Society President Dr. Beth Kassanoff-Piper. "There’s really no vaccine that is that good."

Dallas County Health and Human Services is reporting 506 breakthrough COVID-19 cases out of the more than 848,000 fully vaccinated people in the county so far. Of those cases, 82 people have been hospitalized and eight have died.

"Some breakthroughs are expected, but they’re very few and generally speaking," Kassanoff-Piper said. "Most people who get a breakthrough infection do extremely well. Their symptoms are very mild or even asymptomatic."

As CDC guidance changes on masks and Texas bans cities and counties from requiring them, doctors say those with underlying conditions or taking immunosuppressant medications may need extra precautions.

"Those people, even if they’re fully vaccinated, really need to talk to their doctor about their personal risk," Kassanoff-Piper said. "And it may not be wise for those people to go unmasked. What worries us though is are the people who are not yet vaccinated are gonna feel like this means I can do what I want to do. If I don’t want to wear a mask, I don’t have to. They’re putting themselves at risk."

As efforts to get more people vaccinated continue, UT Southwestern has identified the first two cases of a new COVID-19 variant from India in North Texas.

"This one seems to be 60 percent more transmissible than the usual virus," explained Dr. Jeffrey SoRelle, UT Southwestern assistant instructor of pathology....

Masks keep you from spreading the virus to other people. Wearing a mask in the dugout whenever everyone else is maskless doesn't do anything. The science is also pretty heavy that surface transmission is not a thing.

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Masks keep you from spreading the virus to other people. Wearing a mask in the dugout whenever everyone else is maskless doesn't do anything. The science is also pretty heavy that surface transmission is not a thing.

This is not the forum, but there is still some benefit for the maskwearer, depending on the type of mask he is wearing.  Although surface transmission is not that important, especially outside, it can still happen. 

Anyway, Dusty needs to stay healthy so he can decide between Smith and Raley in the eighth.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It is the equivalent to a throw to any base not getting caught.

Yessir. And only applies when 1st base is open or 2 outs. And just has to be strike (swinging or called) and not caught by the catcher. I’m sure there are not many baseball fans that don’t know the rule.