Another police shooting. This one in Columbus, OH

Parliament

He nailed my feelings exactly on Lebron. Good heart- done lots of good, probably well intentioned but way to eager to be first and properly calibrated on his agenda and not as interested in being right. 
he’s looking for facts to fit his view and ignoring differentiations when it doesn’t help his agenda. 
And that hurts people and what he’s trying to accomplish along the way. 

I think there’s also some thinking and effort to overcompensate in comparison. The biggest, most marketable star in the history of the game - Jordan - purposefully did NOT use his voice (he said something to the effect of “white people buy shoes too”), and got significant criticism for it (which was understandable). So, now the biggest name in the game is going the other direction. But that too is fraught with peril, especially if he isn’t thoughtful or deliberate (which he sure hasn’t been in this episode).

I think Jordan got it wrong. I think that Lebron got it wrong here and in other contexts (and trying to walk the line between what’s morally right and what’s good for business put him in the pinch of his shitty position on Hong Kong, for example).
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And this is why I’m an ideologue and not a partisan. Because I can have contempt for Trump the dickhead stoking animus on Twitter and also blast Lebron when he is just so wrong headed on Twitter. 
there are some who actually can look beyond party ID on here. Interestingly enough- bad teammate is one of them. I mean - it doesn’t mean his opinions aren’t fantastically terrible (they are) but they aren’t fantastically terrible in a partisan way and that’s at

least somewhat interesting and intellectually honest. 

100% true (SEE: The Cabal). It's not an ether or issue.  Yes Bad teammate is a good example.  I don't agree with much of his thought process, but he engages, and isn't the dick head some are with their "My point is valid and if you think otherwise or are a republican you're wrong all the time" schtick. CR suffers from that malady greatly.  I've vote across party lines locally with some regularity.  It gets harder, and harder because the parties dictate candidates positions more than candidates it seems.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I think there’s also some thinking and effort to overcompensate in comparison. The biggest, most marketable star in the history of the game - Jordan - purposefully did NOT use his voice (he said something to the effect of “white people buy shoes too”), and got significant criticism for it (which was understandable). So, now the biggest name in the game is going the other direction. But that too is fraught with peril, especially if he isn’t thoughtful or deliberate (which he sure hasn’t been in this episode).

I think Jordan got it wrong. I think that Lebron got it wrong here and in other contexts (and trying to walk the line between what’s morally right and what’s good for business put him in the pinch of his shitty position on Hong Kong, for example).

Lebron's getting it wrong because he's not thinking before posting his thoughts. I'd rather have Jordans silence than Lebrons' ignorance.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Like when there are literally 10 Million arrests per year (of all colors). And of those, there are 1000 shooting deaths (of all colors). And if maybe 2, 3, are unjustified. That does not support a claim of widespread color-targeted brutality. 

Why are you limiting "brutality" to "unjustified shooting deaths"?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

What does black-on-white/white-on-black crime have to do with the police-on-civilian side of things?

You just have your racist litany and you have to spew it.

It's funny when someone is too racist to understand their own logic.

According to your statistics, the most victimized group of people, both by police and non-police, are black Americans. A black American is more likely to be robbed or beaten or killed.

You're going to go straight to "WELL IT'S BLACK PEOPLE DOING IT!" without even stopping to think, because your racism is so deep it's a reflex.

sTaTiStIcS ArE rAcIsT!

39 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He nailed my feelings exactly on Lebron. Good heart- done lots of good, probably well intentioned but way to eager to be first and properly calibrated on his agenda and not as interested in being right. 
he’s looking for facts to fit his view and ignoring differentiations when it doesn’t help his agenda. 
And that hurts people and what he’s trying to accomplish along the way. 

He had a bad heart and evil intent with that racist graffiti nonsense.  No one should take him serious after that.  But here we are.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

sTaTiStIcS ArE rAcIsT!

I disagree with you.

In America, the statistics clearly show that black people are overrepresented as actors in street-level criminal behavior.

That's all the statistics say. Nothing racist about that.

You and I can look at the exact same set of statistics and carry different interpretations, explanations, and emotional responses out of the experience of seeing them. You're not someone who thinks, you're someone who consumes emotionally manipulative content and then parrots. You're reactionary. You're stupid. You're racist.

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I disagree with you.

In America, the statistics clearly show that black people are overrepresented as actors in street-level criminal behavior.

You and I can look at the exact same set of statistics and carry different interpretations, explanations, and emotional responses out of the experience of seeing them. You're not someone who thinks, you're someone who consumes emotionally manipulative content and then parrots. You're reactionary. You're stupid. You're racist.

Yet you’re the one posting the stupidest shit on this board, not me.  Racist?  That slander means less than nothing these days.  

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

I disagree with you.

You lose any credibility when you accuse people of being racist with the regularity you do. Both you and Dennison are such a bore with that blatant, easily thrown out, typically not accurate accusation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You lose any credibility when you accuse people of being racist with the regularity you do. Both you and Dennison are such a bore with that blatant, easily thrown out, typically not accurate accusation.

Yeah he needs to change it up. Maybe sprinkle in “you’re a white supremacist” every now and then. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

20 hours ago, Mole said:

If a news source regularly leaves you angry, worried, or generally worked up about something, that news source might be advocacy instead of news.

Excellent point!!   When we had three networks and over the air broadcast news, ratings were important but were not the driver they are today.

The advent of cable and the 24/7 news cycle created entertainment companies that provide news to generate ratings / revenue. Every one of them is seeking to elicit an emotional response to capture our attention for longer than they otherwise could.

The horse is out of the barn and it’s up to the consumer to decide if they’ll take the bait.   

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Why does the label not fit here?

Also, of all the negative insults thrown out, why is it that one that irks you so?

Hit dogs holler.

Edited by bad_teammate

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yet you’re the one posting the stupidest shit on this board, not me.  Racist?  That slander means less than nothing these days.  

The best defense against slander is truth. And, in this case, it is.

I'm not calling you racist because it feels good or because it wins me friends (it doesn't), but because it accurately describes the ideas you post. Your argument is that white people are being "hunted" by black people. You then use statistics to back that up that show that black people are victimized far more often than white people. Your argument about white people being "hunted" aren't statistically based, they're based in the racist core of your lizard brain reactionary beliefs.

You're stupid. And you're racist.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, fattyflattie said:

And every accusation is a confession 

I'm sure there are racist ideas somewhere in the tangled web of my psyche. Probably sexist ones or transphobic ones, too. I'm interested if anyone wants to break those down for me.

Care to expose me for what I really am by breaking down my arguments and logic?

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I believe Jordan said, “Republican’s buy shoes, too.”

I lived in North Carolina when Harvey Gantt, a black mayor of Charlotte, ran against Jessie Helms, one of the most bigoted pieces of shit to hold a Senate seat in the past 50 years. People begged Jordan to endorse Gantt and he wouldn’t do it. I’m not sure it would’ve mattered, because Helms won by a large margin. But Jordan disappointed a lot of his fellow North Carolinians.

I think he’s has recently acknowledged that he should’ve been outspoken on social justice issues during his playing days, and he’s done better as he’s gotten older. Not as vocal as Lebron by any means, but he’ll weigh in occasionally.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Why does the label not fit here?

Also, of all the negative insults thrown out, why is it that one that irks you so?

Hit dogs holler.

Dude, you have no friggin' idea why someone here is motivated to respond to any situation. I have strong doubts about the rampant racism you claim exists here.  

Your hit dogs holler commit is meaningless. Abused dogs holler when hit. Everyone hollers when they're hit.  People accused of things they didn't do holler as well... so what's your point again ?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Dude, you have no friggin' idea why someone here is motivated to respond to any situation. I have strong doubts about the rampant racism you claim exists here.  

If it was my claim that you took issue is, wouldn't you deal with the claim?

I have explained the logic behind my accusation multiple times. I can do so again if you like.

If you disagree with my logic, why not just dispute it directly?

Your hit dogs holler commit is meaningless. Abused dogs holler when hit. Everyone hollers when they're hit.  People accused of things they didn't do holler as well... so what's your point again ?

The answer to this question lies in your answer to mine: In a thread full of accusations and insults, why is it this one that makes you throw on the referee uniform?

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You’re a person I wouldn’t waste two seconds on in my life. 

I love it when people take time to tell me that I'm not worth their time. Logic.

Posting stats that establish blacks aren’t being hunted by cops or white people doesn’t mean I’m a racist.

You claimed that white people were being hunted by black people.

You plaster racial crime statistics in a thread that isn't about racial crime distribution. (Stats that don't even back up your racist claims.)

Edited by bad_teammate

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I love it when people take time to tell me that I'm not worth their time. Logic.

You claimed that white people were being hunted by black people.

You plaster racial crime statistics in a thread that isn't about racial crime distribution. (Stats that don't even back up your racist claims.)

No.  I didn’t.  I posted stats proving blacks weren’t being hunted by whites.  You are stupid.  And a loser.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

No.  I didn’t. 

lol

It's a web forum, dumbass. Posts are recorded and stored.

Stupid. Racist. And a fucking coward, like all other racists.

Those stats don't "prove" that whites are being hunted by blacks.

Edited by bad_teammate

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Dennison hates himself so much for being white. Everytime he says wypipo I imagine him taking a knife to his skin and peeling it off.

Edited by workswithseed

56 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If it was my claim that you took issue is, wouldn't you deal with the claim?

I have explained the logic behind my accusation multiple times. I can do so again if you like.

If you disagree with my logic, why not just dispute it directly?

The answer to this question lies in your answer to mine: In a thread full of accusations and insults, why is it this one that makes you throw on the referee uniform?

No I don't have to deal with your unfounded claims.  It's on you to provide a burden of proof.  Next topic.....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

lol

It's a web forum, dumbass. Posts are recorded and stored.

Stupid. Racist. And a fucking coward, like all other racists.

Those stats don't "prove" that whites are being hunted by blacks.

It was a response to Lebron posting he was literally being hunted.  It’s a bullshit narrative. I don’t think anyone is being hunted by the other race.  But if you can define hunting broadly it sure as fuck isn’t whites hunting blacks.  

And the only reason I’m wasting time with you is I’m stuck in line at Berings gift department buying my mom a birthday present and have nothing else to do besides look at my phone and look at West U MILFs.  Looking at my phone is cover for the latter.  

8 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Dennison hates himself so much for being white. Everytime he says wypipo I imagine him taking a knife skin and peeling it off.

No he doesn’t. Id guess he lives a very similar life to B_T, as in works a really good job, and in a zip code with a 7 figure avg home price.  B_t is a champion for POC, but live within a zip code of one?  No bruh.  It’s message board bullshit to get a rise, then back to the villages of Memorial.  Does he work with POC?  I’ll let you guess how diverse O&G is.   We had like 3 aa’s in our publicly traded company.   If B_T calls you a racist, is means fuck all.  If @Brothahorn thinks you’re a racist, you might want to check yourself.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The quote attributed to Jordan is actually that he said “Republicans buy sneakers too”.  Like everything in our world of soundbites, no one actually took the time to listen to his actual answer. The writer who claimed that Jordan said that to him now admits that Jordan said it completely in jest and that his actual statement was actually pretty damn smart. Essentially, Jordan said that he was singularly focused on his career and that he didn’t endorse particular candidates or weigh in on particular political issues because he had not personally studied the issues so he wasn’t going to give an opinion on some thing that he didn’t really know anything about. Our world would be so much better if other people would refrain from speaking out on issues that they do not actually know the truth about.

You seem to think it was a mistake for Jordan not to become more political. I would say that by him not becoming political that he was able to do incredibly well in business and allow him the opportunity to be the majority owner of an NBA franchise.  It would be extremely difficult for him to have become the owner of that team if he was more of a political activist. But now that he is the owner he has hired many, many poc in positions of leader ship within the organization  and he has mandated that many poc be on his Jordan brand team with Nike.  He has donated hundreds of millions of dollars to black causes over the last 10 years or so. In the end, I think his efforts have done way more for the advancement of blacks than those people that just spouted off nonsense.

Tiger Woods is another example of this. He is notoriously guarded about making any type of political statements and he is often criticized for it. However, he realized early on that being a loudmouth doesn’t really get anything done. The majority of the time those people that spout off frequently are just being purely self-indulgent and not really advancing the cause. Tiger worked with all kinds of companies that might not have worked with him if he was more political and, as a result, was able to fund his Tiger Woods foundation which has helped tens of thousands of poc all around the world.  

obviously those guys also became personally fabulously wealthy. But they are adults that realized that ultimately they could do way more actual good if they resisted the temptation to knee jerk react.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

How did Jordan get it wrong?

44 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Can't wait for more referees to come be mad at me for saying the word "racism" and ignoring open racism in front of their faces.

If anyone wants to really see who the racist is here, all they have to do is go back to the eyes of Texas thread.  in that thread, our man BT, has the following:

1) Started off by saying that the eyes of Texas was racist because our black football players thought it was.

2) Said that the singing of the eyes was white people forcing a black players to stand and listen to them sing a racist song.
3) Then, after being questioned, admitted that he personally did not think that the song was racist but that he could understand how someone might think that way and so we shouldn’t be singing it.

4) Then after further being pressed, he admitted that he still sings the song at birthday parties and gatherings with his friends. He said he sings it at weddings and that it will be played at his funeral. I think he even admitted that if and when it is played next season he will sing along.

So who exactly is the racist? I would contend that someone like BT is the actual racist and even more sinister.  He has absolutely no character or conviction. What a fabulous generalization. He says that our black players have every right to be offended by the song and that we must acknowledge that if they think this song is racist then it must be while at the same time fully admitting that he is going to continue singing the song any chance he gets with his friends.  Closeted racists are way more troublesome and sinister than the open ones.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

yall managed to let that self-hating idiot derka up another thread and im not mad, just slightly disappointed. 

Meh. It’s funny to see the CR elites sit around and say the reason outsiders don’t post there is they can’t make arguments.  Then come here for discussion and realize yelling racist! at every post isn’t an argument. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

*derka = to redirect the gravity of the thread towards or against a person.  not as a disparaging remark on derka himself who has been well-reformed.

In a way, all of us has a Derka to face. For some, shyness might be their Derka.  For others, a lack of education might be their Derka.  For us, Derka is a big man who wants to autistically post 3,000 word count missives about Rick Barnes tilting at windmills.  But as sure as my name is Johnny Sack, the people of Surlyhorns can conquer their own personal Derka, who also happens to be *the actual* Derka   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Why?

A lot of things matter, and can be improved when an influential voice speaks up. It can and should be done wisely, but it makes a difference. And if you can make a difference, you should.

Jordan is kind of a dick. We are making a pretty big assumption his take on things would be the correct one. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1