Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

28 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Fucker. I was so excited for his hire. I wanted to see havoc with high level athletes. Pitino was awesome with full court game at the high major level. And then the fucker didn’t do it for 6 years here. Grrrrrrr. 

check out his adjusted tempo at his three schools:

738EB3AA-D2FE-4525-8A45-95D1E21C8F91.thumb.jpeg.996657593a57286cb65476cf2236ac91.jpeg

regularly in the 300's in terms of pace at Texas. this year's marquette team is 12th nationally in average possession length at 15.5 seconds per possession. 

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

according to shaka it was because the big was a more physical league, and because the type of recruits he was going to sign were going to want to run an nba style offense. and as we all know, that worked out beautifully.

And he's a fucking moron. I get that thought process in maybe the first few years. When it was obvious that shit wasn't working...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

according to shaka it was because the big was a more physical league, and because the type of recruits he was going to sign were going to want to run an nba style offense. and as we all know, that worked out beautifully.

Korn Ferry - "so Shaka are you gonna run havoc that got you to the final 4? because Texas wants to go to final 4."

Shakablah - "No. need to run and NBA offense to attract the recruits needed to win the big 12"

Korn Ferry - "Oh, have a you run an NBA offense before?"

Shakabalh - "No"

Korn Ferry - "Got it. We are going to recommend that Texas hire you"

• Rage+1 4

4 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Occam's razor says he had his sights on moving up to the Association coaching ranks and felt he had to show he could run that type of system.

Narrator: He couldn't.

Yep. He wanted to pull a Billy Donovan, who he worked under at Florida.

Despite everything Shaka has alluded to in order to pass off blame about why he didn't experience success at Texas (admin doesn't care about basketball, fans don't care about basketball, "We're Texas" culture amongst players, etc.), he wouldn't be back to utilizing Havoc if he didn't realize his strategic shift at Texas was asinine.

This is why it's even more frustrating. He blamed everyone else on the way out and then went back to his bread and butter at Marquette. That fool may have crushed with the talent he could pull in at Texas had he never changed. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

NBA player Greg Brown, NBA player Jericho Sims, NBA player Kai Jones, 4-year starter at PG Matt Coleman, 4-year starter Andrew Jones.

All on the same team.

Couldn't beat an Abilene Christian team who shot 29.9% from the field.

I hate to bring it all up again but you have to almost be purposely throwing games to be that bad of a coach.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

6 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Occam's razor says he had his sights on moving up to the Association coaching ranks and felt he had to show he could run that type of system.

Narrator: He couldn't.

Occam's razor tells me he's a dipshit that doesn't know how to run a big-time college basketball program. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Occam's razor tells me he's a dipshit that doesn't know how to run a big-time college basketball program. 

Yeah, but the bigger dipshit was the interim AD who gave him more time on his initial deal because........

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

NBA player Greg Brown, NBA player Jericho Sims, NBA player Kai Jones, 4-year starter at PG Matt Coleman, 4-year starter Andrew Jones.

All on the same team.

I hate to bring it all up again but you have to almost be purposely throwing games to be that bad of a coach.

not necessarily true.

• Fuck You 1

On 2/8/2023 at 1:10 PM, Hookem2147 said:

All on the same team.

Not to mention that ACU had the talent of an above average rec team at your favorite Big 12 campus.

• Rage+1 1

On 2/8/2023 at 1:10 PM, Hookem2147 said:

All on the same team.

To be fair Barnes lost in second round to a shit USC squad when he had Durant, Augustine, Abrams, James.  

That one actually pisses me off more than ACU to this day.  By far.  

• Haha 1

Just now, BurgleBro said:

To be fair Barnes lost in second round to a shit USC squad when he had Durant, Augustine, Abrams, James.  

We started 4 freshmen that year right? We were way too young even with all the talent those guys had.

We somehow sandwiched Kevin Durant between two elite eight teams. Sums up this program pretty well the last 15+ years.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, BurgleBro said:

When Durant came to campus on his recruiting visit he scrimmaged with PJ Tucker, LaMarcus Aldridge, Daniel Gibson and Mike Williams, all of whom departed before he got to campus. He literally told everyone after the trip, "We're going to win a national championship!"

For the 2006-7 roster, 4 freshmen started. AJ Abrams and Connor Atchley also received significant minutes. They were both sophomores. Durant, Augustin, and Abrams all averaged over 35mpg. Hill and Pittman - two more freshmen - played 11mpg and 5mpg respectively. Craig Winder, another sophomore, played 7mpg. 

Overall it's the youngest team to win a tournament game in NCAA history. Way younger than the fabled Fab Five, who obviously had a lot more success their first year. 

It's honestly one of Barnes' best coaching jobs. It's unbelievable how young that team was. 

It's no wonder they became better after Durant left. They were all a year older and much better prepared. I told everyone at the time the team was going to be way better after losing Durant, and everyone said I was on crack. It's not BECAUSE Durant left. That team is a national championship contender if he stupidly returned for another year. It's because everyone got needed experience and so they were better prepared for the season even though Durant was gone. 

I think Gibson went too early. Without a doubt in my mind Tucker left too early. Williams ended up being a 5* bust who transferred to Alabama and just didn't pan out. But he sure would have helped if he'd stayed at Texas. Aldridge obviously needed to go. It's all worked out for everyone. But even just having Tucker on that team would have helped so much. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

We started 4 freshmen that year right? We were way too young even with all the talent those guys had.

We somehow sandwiched Kevin Durant between two elite eight teams. Sums up this program pretty well the last 15+ years.

yeah, that team was too young and too small for the well-after-the-fact critiques of that game to hold water. that 2007 team had worse losses (the home loss to K State in particular) than that loss to a tim floyd coaches team featuring taj gibson and nick young. the following year we lost KD, added gary johnson and we went to the elite 8. like you said, we were always one year off in one way or another. 

Edited by shadow_operative

29 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

When Durant came to campus on his recruiting visit he scrimmaged with PJ Tucker, LaMarcus Aldridge, Daniel Gibson and Mike Williams, all of whom departed before he got to campus. He literally told everyone after the trip, "We're going to win a national championship!"

For the 2006-7 roster, 4 freshmen started. AJ Abrams and Connor Atchley also received significant minutes. They were both sophomores. Durant, Augustin, and Abrams all averaged over 35mpg. Hill and Pittman - two more freshmen - played 11mpg and 5mpg respectively. Craig Winder, another sophomore, played 7mpg. 

Overall it's the youngest team to win a tournament game in NCAA history. Way younger than the fabled Fab Five, who obviously had a lot more success their first year. 

It's honestly one of Barnes' best coaching jobs. It's unbelievable how young that team was. 

It's no wonder they became better after Durant left. They were all a year older and much better prepared. I told everyone at the time the team was going to be way better after losing Durant, and everyone said I was on crack. It's not BECAUSE Durant left. That team is a national championship contender if he stupidly returned for another year. It's because everyone got needed experience and so they were better prepared for the season even though Durant was gone. 

I think Gibson went too early. Without a doubt in my mind Tucker left too early. Williams ended up being a 5* bust who transferred to Alabama and just didn't pan out. But he sure would have helped if he'd stayed at Texas. Aldridge obviously needed to go. It's all worked out for everyone. But even just having Tucker on that team would have helped so much. 

the effect that PJ would have had on that team is immeasurable. that team played a really weak schedule, very few games vs top 15-25 opponents. with PJ leading that team and doing all the dirty work as the returning big xii poy, that team really could have been special. a final four candidate for sure assuming no injuries.

• Hook 'Em 1

BTW - The USC team that beat Durant wasn't "dogshit".  They had wins over #8 Wichita State, #9 Oregon, #11 Washington State, #11 Arizona, @#16 Oregon and others.

They had #16 draft pick Nick Young (All PAC-12) and #26 draft pick Taj Gibson (All PAC-12) and #62 pick Gabe Pruitt.... plus some other upper classmen.  They were a worst case scenario draw for us as they were experienced and also had NBA talent.

• Hook 'Em 4

20 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Def agree Tucker was the one that should have stayed.  

What could have been. 

13 hours ago, HookEm said:

BTW - The USC team that beat Durant wasn't "dogshit".  They had wins over #8 Wichita State, #9 Oregon, #11 Washington State, #11 Arizona, @#16 Oregon and others.

They had #16 draft pick Nick Young (All PAC-12) and #26 draft pick Taj Gibson (All PAC-12) and #62 pick Gabe Pruitt.... plus some other upper classmen.  They were a worst case scenario draw for us as they were experienced and also had NBA talent.

their resume was way better than ours. we had ONE good win on the season, the 2OT home win vs Acie Law's a&m team. we weren't even ranked for most of the season, but we won most of our games down the stretch (with a really easy schedule), and KD Fever swept the nation and we got ranked way too highly, got a seed we didn't deserve, and had expectations that weren't realistic. and then when the bill simmons hit piece on Barnes came out, that loss became downright mythical in how terrible it supposedly was. you'd think that we were a 30-0 no.1 overall seed that got its ass kicked by a 16 seed the way people have characterized that loss since then. and as we've seen, 99% of people out there still mischaracterize that loss to this day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while, but didn't Tucker flunk out?

Tucker played three years at Texas. 2003-4. 2004-5. 2005-6. Prior to his sophomore season he was ruled academically ineligible for the fall semester, and had to go to Austin CC to get back in. 

One of the reasons Tucker was not recruited by any schools in North Carolina is because of his horrible grades/test score. One of the things the Texas staff was amazing at was helping get players qualified who were at risk. Part of the strategy was to convince the parents to get their child classified learning disabled in some way so their standardized tests could be taken with an individual proctor as an untimed test. That also helped them get qualified for special attention at their high school. For many parents this was a stigma they weren't excited about, so part of the sales pitch was that Rick Barnes was classified learning disabled himself. I think from dyslexia, but not completely sure. 

In any case, they got Tucker qualified, but school never was his favorite aspect of college. That said, he was contrite for letting down his team that one semester, worked hard to get qualified again, and then did well the next semester, too. But his distaste for school work absolutely played a part in deciding to go pro after his junior season.

So yes, he flunked out, but it was the previous year, and he got back in. 

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Tucker played three years at Texas. 2003-4. 2004-5. 2005-6. Prior to his sophomore season he was ruled academically ineligible for the fall semester, and had to go to Austin CC to get back in. 

One of the reasons Tucker was not recruited by any schools in North Carolina is because of his horrible grades/test score. One of the things the Texas staff was amazing at was helping get players qualified who were at risk. Part of the strategy was to convince the parents to get their child classified learning disabled in some way so their standardized tests could be taken with an individual proctor as an untimed test. That also helped them get qualified for special attention at their high school. For many parents this was a stigma they weren't excited about, so part of the sales pitch was that Rick Barnes was classified learning disabled himself. I think from dyslexia, but not completely sure. 

In any case, they got Tucker qualified, but school never was his favorite aspect of college. That said, he was contrite for letting down his team that one semester, worked hard to get qualified again, and then did well the next semester, too. But his distaste for school work absolutely played a part in deciding to go pro after his junior season.

I'm pretty sure Tucker missed the spring of his sophomore season (spring 2005). He played all of fall 2004. It was the same spring that LaMarcus Aldridge missed due to his hip issue. Aldridge's hips are the reason he came back for his sophomore season and ultimately what allowed us to go to the elite during the 2005-2006 season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

their resume was way better than ours. we had ONE good win on the season, the 2OT home win vs Acie Law's a&m team. we weren't even ranked for most of the season, but we won most of our games down the stretch (with a really easy schedule), and KD Fever swept the nation and we got ranked way too highly, got a seed we didn't deserve, and had expectations that weren't realistic. and then when the bill simmons hit piece on Barnes came out, that loss became downright mythical in how terrible it supposedly was. you'd think that we were a 30-0 no.1 overall seed that got its ass kicked by a 16 seed the way people have characterized that loss since then. and as we've seen, 99% of people out there still mischaracterize that loss to this day. 

You brining up Acie Law reminded me of those morons legit thinking Acie Law was not only better than KD, but would have a better NBA career. Those fuckin people, man....it'd be like saying something like ohhhh idk "Reggie McNeal is better than Vince Young!!!" or something stupid like that. Oh wait.....

Edited by Fletch
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'm pretty sure Tucker missed the spring of his sophomore season (spring 2005). He played all of fall 2004. It was the same spring that LaMarcus Aldridge missed due to his hip issue. Aldridge's hips are the reason he came back for his sophomore season and ultimately what allowed us to go to the elite during the 2005-2006 season. 

I was doing it from memory and I got some things wrong. You're correct. It was the spring of 2005, not the fall of 2004. He also didn't flunk out. He was ruled ineligible. He practiced with the team and went to class at UT, but he could not participate in games. 

I remember being shocked at Aldridge returning for his sophomore season. I'm sure you're correct it was an injury related reason. He made a wise financial decision in terms of his first contract to come back for another year. 

Thanks for the correction.

We were 13-3 with losses:

Michigan State -2 (Neutral Site)
Gonzaga -10 (Neutral Site)
Tenn -6 (OT) (Road)

We then closed at 9-5 with losses

Okie State -3 (3OT) (Road)
KSU -1 (Home)
Villanova -7 (Road)
A&M -18 (Road)
Kansas -4 (Road)

22-8 with 1 home loss with an average loss margin of -6.3.  We weren't some kind of scrub team...

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

this is a really good summation of the facts, and i've always really respected PJ for the way he responded to his suspension. as you said, he really manned up and took accountability for it, and the result was that he beat out LA for the league's player of the year.

also, way back in the day i got to meet PJ in a social setting several times, and he was always a particularly cool guy. zero ego. super rare for a UT athlete of his stature. just zero insecurity, always himself, always inviting and friendly. easily one of my all time favorite Horns. 

oh yeah:

ACD04B50-E7E4-4FCA-813A-178B7591ECFD.thumb.jpeg.d638597dbddc7ec70ace0603362a0b8b.jpeg

that's from the 2005 relays. i also ran into and was able to talk to Adrien Peterson that day, as he was running for a palestine. i asked him, "why would you leave Texas to go to OU?". he just said, "I'm trying to win a championship." nice guy (if you're not his kid), terrible judgment. dude could have paired up with VY and won a ring. he chose...poorly.

PJ did not eat out LaMarcus for Big XI POY; he *beat out LaMarcus for Big XII POY.

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

We were 13-3 with losses:

Michigan State -2 (Neutral Site)
Gonzaga -10 (Neutral Site)
Tenn -6 (OT) (Road)

We then closed at 9-5 with losses

Okie State -3 (3OT) (Road)
KSU -1 (Home)
Villanova -7 (Road)
A&M -18 (Road)
Kansas -4 (Road)

22-8 with 1 home loss with an average loss margin of -6.3.  We weren't some kind of scrub team...

we were no.92 in AdjD, and we had two wins vs the kenpom top 50- vs no.7 A&M, and no.42 Arkansas. meanwhile, 99% of basketball fans: HoW DiD TexAs NoT Go tO tHe FiNaL FOuR wITh KD?!?! like we were some badass team. 

people remember that 3OT loss to OSU as the CBB game if the year, but what they don't remember is that that OSU team was hot garbage.

26128636-35CF-482C-8D72-3639473B3837.thumb.jpeg.80b143633a7adf91953c905a8d542fdf.jpeg

DD7F2D4C-01BE-4F18-A1E1-9E10CB11A3C0.thumb.jpeg.b59be2de20a76ea5a08d8a1584006fae.jpeg

yet somehow the USC loss is worse than the ACU loss. and then, as i've said. we lose KD, we add only Gary Johnson, and we get a 2 seed and go to the elite 8, and nobody cares. but, people don't care about facts that don't reinforce what they already believe, so. 

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Also fuck Shaka. 
Ineqs so excited to see Havoc with the kind of athletes UT could pull. Still pissed. 

wulaw that's not fair. shaka never had the type of players one would need to run a system like havoc. it's not his fault.

F696F385-6A7A-454A-BECE-AE1CBBED830E.jpeg.7073b7da7a97c508eabeeb4b906409d1.jpeg

DCE89CCF-9723-4E84-A62C-9DB5857E6728.thumb.jpeg.06fd6001ad0425eea7d0bf4d488857b9.jpeg

B97D6BEB-CDE8-48CE-BB83-6D86A63A0D67.jpeg.95c2d46762a8ad96eba016171df65bda.jpeg

D40E2265-80B0-4E20-8E55-569793F771E7.thumb.jpeg.526a22d40cafc050d699034a5d496511.jpeg

8AA83448-DB21-42A9-942B-2A26FA46EA61.jpeg.e535b551d22142abbd53c6c7cb58977c.jpeg

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 7

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

That Roach dunk might be the greatest dunk in UT history.  Struggling to think of a better one.

Here is the video:

i went to grab this video to add Roach's poster vs UNC to the list, and this video is just classic for this thread. i'm about halfway through the video, and we've got Roach just flying around out there, you've got jackson hayes and jericho sims hitting their heads against the backboard, you've got a UT team that looks ready for a track and field meet and yet shaka refused to play uptempo (gee, it worked pretty well vs UNC), and then to top it off, the half ends with an Osetkowski three with the announcers commenting, "...and Osetkowski finally gets a three pointer to fall!" god damn it if that isn't shaka smart's six years here in a nutshell.

fuck you shaka. goddamn sleeper cell.

• Hook 'Em 2

if shaka had simply beaten ACU then we would have gone 8-22 last season and would currently be enjoying our first season under new head coach chris beard. thanks a lot shaka. you really are an eternal anal polyp that this program cannot get rid of. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i went to grab this video to add Roach's poster vs UNC to the list, and this video is just classic for this thread. i'm about halfway through the video, and we've got Roach just flying around out there, you've got jackson hayes and jericho sims hitting their heads against the backboard, you've got a UT team that looks ready for a track and field meet and yet shaka refused to play uptempo (gee, it worked pretty well vs UNC), and then to top it off, the half ends with an Osetkowski three with the announcers commenting, "...and Osetkowski finally gets a three pointer to fall!" god damn it if that isn't shaka smart's six years here in a nutshell.

oh yeah, just a reminder that that team-

BB0A0948-378E-4210-94D2-CDAC6F3B50BF.thumb.jpeg.895dd1371c7793003ab3275853ae48c5.jpeg

the one that beat no.7 (final kenpom rating) UNC, and no.9 purdue, and no.15 iowa state, plus no.17 kansas, and no.20 k state- that team with roach, coleman, sims, hayes, and ramey? that team went 16-16.

ECA67E99-CD98-484D-9060-3BEB2065BA8D.thumb.jpeg.9cc84fb24dc5206021238db8bceada9a.jpeg

i still can't believe we let that guy head this program for six years.

44 minutes ago, HookEm said:

10 of those losses were by 6 or fewer points. We were so close to being awesome. The talent was definitely there.

But as usual, the head coaching was not and costed us wins. 

See: 2021 and 2022 Texas Longhorns football

• Rage+1 1

20 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

To me the game that epitomizes Shaka's tenure at UT more than any is the P80 tournament vs Duke. Everything from being up on Duke by damn near 20 with 10 minutes to go to not only squandering the lead away, but ending the game in OT with Eric Davis attempting to guard Marvin Bagley while future all conference performers James Banks and Royce Hamm looked on from the bench. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1