Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

What are we supposed to see? That a competent coach was able to orchestrate a comeback instead of giving up and staying down big against a Tarheel team that had no idea how to close out a tournament game? 

I’m not even expecting Texas to get past Purdue, but how funny would it be if Texas beat UNC to go to the Final Four?

”SEE?”

- SLX 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Honestly?  I’ve been giggling all day whenever I think of yesterday. It’s amazing.  The NCAA tourney has been my first love since I was 5 years old. That son of a bitch ruining it for me for over half a decade makes me want to watch him fail forever. 

Half a decade? Now do football.

On 3/18/2022 at 9:03 AM, UDontKnow said:

It don't make a shit. All that matters is that he isn't our problem any more.

We should continue to point and laugh at the joke that is Shaka Smart.

That pretty well sums it up.

Some people call Beard's offense boring. Whatever. But at least it's genuine, recognizable basketball. An actual attempt at doing something that's doable. That's something we never had under Shaka, which is why he is ultimately a disappointment no matter where he goes. He's just a reactive, doofus leprechaun spouting motivational cliches as he tries one stupid stunt after another with no coherent vision of what he wants. Watching his teams play is just excruciating. It's like watching a walrus try to fuck a giraffe.   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

That pretty well sums it up.

Some people call Beard's offense boring. Whatever. But at least it's genuine, recognizable basketball. An actual attempt at doing something that's doable. That's something we never had under Shaka, which is why he is ultimately a disappointment no matter where he goes. He's just a reactive, doofus leprechaun spouting motivational cliches as he tries one stupid stunt after another with no coherent vision of what he wants. Watching his teams play is just excruciating. It's like watching a walrus try to fuck a giraffe.   

Go on ……

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Or 2018. Or whatever year we best Georgia and OU. But yeah, pretty gnarly. 

This isn’t the football board, but in terms of futility the two have been linked in many of our minds. I do want to say that except for random outliers like the 1990 Shock the Nation team that lost in a humiliating fashion to Miami, the 8-5 team that beat Nebraska for the inaugural Big 12 championship then didn’t belong on the same field with VTech in the Sugar Bowl, and the year you mentioned when a 4 loss Texas team soundly beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl…

Narrator: Texas was indeed not back.

...it’s been 30 years of national irrelevance in the last 40 years. The single biggest reason why is the cluster fuck of decision making that has gone into the coaching hires. Look at the resumes of the people Texas has hired recently in women’s basketball, baseball, and men’s basketball. Compare that to the resumes of David McWilliams, John Mackovic, Charlie Strong, Tom Herman, and now Steve Sarkisian. What the fuck are we doing? A big part of the issue is that college football is dominated by a few teams. Texas isn’t hiring Dabo Swinney, Kirby Smart, or Nick Saban. And Urban Meyer didn’t want the job. But when Sarkisian fails they need to swing a big massive dick in the direction of the top targets available and see if there’s any interest whatsoever. 

Regardless, I’m grateful they got Beard. I’ve been very impressed with this first year in everything other than some evaluation misses out of the portal. In particular Bryson Williams, who by himself would have changed the complexion of this team, and was coached by one of our assistants at two different stops for goodness sakes. Still, it’s clear to me we’re on the right track. FINALLY. In a schadenfreude way it’s been extremely gratifying to watch Shaka Smart and Rick Barnes do their usual head first swan dive in the tournament against lower seeded teams to remind me what we’ve escaped from, like a long time abused spouse. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My jury is still out on Sark.  For one thing, he can actually call plays.  Beyond that, he can recruit.  Whether he can make the right calls in terms of building a staff is a concern.

He torpedoed his own resume with his drinking.  I hope that's behind him.

35 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

...he can recruit. 

People said the same thing about John Mackovic, Charlie Strong, and Tom Herman (until he couldn't any more). At some point maybe Austin and UT deserve a little bit of the credit. I don't think Sarkisian is anything special on the recruiting front. 

You know who can recruit? Chris Beard. He's not going to get everyone, but he's going to get his share. I'm excited to see what he does this upcoming offseason.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My jury is still out on Sark.  For one thing, he can actually call plays.  Beyond that, he can recruit.  Whether he can make the right calls in terms of building a staff is a concern.

He torpedoed his own resume with his drinking.  I hope that's behind him.

It’s not a long CFB season, yet Sark has continued his trend of laying an egg three times a year. That’s the same number as Beard, but Sark has done it over roughly 1/3 the games. It’s only been one year, but that’s not promising 

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

People said the same thing about John Mackovic, Charlie Strong, and Tom Herman (until he couldn't any more). At some point maybe Austin and UT deserve a little bit of the credit. I don't think Sarkisian is anything special on the recruiting front. 

You know who can recruit? Chris Beard. He's not going to get everyone, but he's going to get his share. I'm excited to see what he does this upcoming offseason.

I know no staff is going to put more effort into recruiting than his, but the jury is still out on whether he can recruit elite front court players.  That being said I've always envied Beard's consistent ability to recruit big and athletic guards/wings so if I'm choosing between the 2 I prefer Beard's area of recruiting expertise. Regardless when perusing over his recruiting history outside of Tariq Owens (transfer) Beard hasn't recruited a big I'd want over what we've had, certainly not out of high school. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Pods said:

Y'all motherfuckers need to take the football chat off this thread. This is supposed to be a happy place. 

I think the Texas coaching issues can be traced back to when Mack foolishly started playing Simms over Applewhite. 

The Simms/Applewhite debate has always been a false dichotomy. The correct answer was replacing Greg Davis.

Either Simms, or Applewhite would have been fine with a good offensive coordinator running a competent scheme, rather than a syphilitic chimpanzee with a random grab bag of plays. 

Edited by Pods
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I know no staff is going to put more effort into recruiting than his, but the jury is still out on whether he can recruit elite front court players.  That being said I've always envied Beard's consistent ability to recruit big and athletic guards/wings so if I'm choosing between the 2 I prefer Beard's area of recruiting expertise. Regardless when perusing over his recruiting history outside of Tariq Owens (transfer) Beard hasn't recruited a big I'd want over what we've had, certainly not out of high school. 

Problem is you might never see it because he’s sold on the position less switching man to man. He might recruit a project type shot blocker who gets limited minutes but he’s never going to be someone who recruits the dominant 5 type guy, unless he drastically changes his approach to the game. If he doesn’t feel like he can teach a player to switch effectively they’re probably not going to be a candidate. Look at Disu. He was by far the best defender one on one on the interior. But he had a tough time ever earning minutes because he’s ineffective at switching.

Which is part of why the Bryson Williams miss was so egregious. 

The way for a Beard type team to attack Purdue’s interior is to have guards who can consistently beat their defender off the dribble. Run those bigs ragged on the defensive end. Get them in foul trouble going at the basket. On the defensive end foul if you have to. Keep throwing bodies at them and make them beat you from the foul line. 

His issue with recruiting big men is less about his abilities as a recruiter and more about his vision of his ideal team. 

We also probably won’t see too many shorter guards playing for Texas either for the same reason. What Texas Tech is putting on the floor fits what Beard wants, with the most athletic, talented players he can find. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There aren't many true bigs athletic/versatile enough to rotate all over the place in a Beard defense. The few that exist would seem to be very early NBA material and thus hard to get that much of a contribution from...if we can sign them at all. 

The best of the traditionally constructed rosters might still be the most likely to win titles. But Self, Few and other believers is that model haven't been mudholing everyone in March most years. A roster of interchangeable athletes with decent size and shooting ability is probably our best bet for being consistently good. Beyond there, hope to catch some Villanova magic in a bottle now and then. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

6 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Problem is you might never see it because he’s sold on the position less switching man to man. He might recruit a project type shot blocker who gets limited minutes but he’s never going to be someone who recruits the dominant 5 type guy, unless he drastically changes his approach to the game. If he doesn’t feel like he can teach a player to switch effectively they’re probably not going to be a candidate. Look at Disu. He was by far the best defender one on one on the interior. But he had a tough time ever earning minutes because he’s ineffective at switching.

Which is part of why the Bryson Williams miss was so egregious. 

The way for a Beard type team to attack Purdue’s interior is to have guards who can consistently beat their defender off the dribble. Run those bigs ragged on the defensive end. Get them in foul trouble going at the basket. On the defensive end foul if you have to. Keep throwing bodies at them and make them beat you from the foul line. 

His issue with recruiting big men is less about his abilities as a recruiter and more about his vision of his ideal team. 

We also probably won’t see too many shorter guards playing for Texas either for the same reason. What Texas Tech is putting on the floor fits what Beard wants, with the most athletic, talented players he can find. 

I hear you,  but in today's day and age of high school basketball there are plenty of 6'7" to 6'9" guys who fit the mold of what he's looking for. The problem with Beard is he doesn't seem to have a good eye for projecting young Bigs.  Jericho Simms was only 6'7" and around 190 when Smart began recruiting him.  He looked more like Dillon Mitchell back then than what he ultimately became, which hopefully means good things for us with Mitchell.   Even a Jaxon Hayes  fits the mold of a switchable big on the college level.  Beard tends to go after college transfers for his bigs rather than risking a scholi on a young, bouncy big who is yet to physically mature.  He seems impatient in that area. Regardless I really like that Beard goes after rangy, athletic guards and wings so much like the tradeoff we get with his tightly controlled,  boring ass offense I'll gladly take athletic wings over bouncy bigs who shoot 50% from the FT line while taking the overwhelming majority of our FT attempts. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

12 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I hear you,  but in today's day and age of basketball there are plenty of 6'7" to 6'9" guys who fit the mold of what he's looking for. The problem with Beard is he doesn't seem to have a good eye for projecting young Bigs.  Jericho Simms was only 6'7" and around 190 when Smart began recruiting him.  He looked more like Dillon Mitchell back then than what he ultimately became, which hopefully means good things for us with Mitchell.   Even a Jaxon Hayes  fits the mold of a switchable big on the college level.  Beard tends to go after college transfers for his bigs rather than risking a scholi on a young, bouncy big who is yet to physically mature.  He seems impatient in that area. Regardless I really like that Beard goes after rangy, athletic guards and wings so much like the tradeoff we get with his tightly controlled,  boring ass offense I'll gladly take athletic wings over bouncy bigs who shoot 50% from the FT line while taking the overwhelming majority of our FT attempts. 

Well, I know a big reason for his move to Texas and his mindset regarding putting together the staff he did was going after higher profile players. Obviously the alma mater thing was big, and being a top ten paid coach with plenty of room for escalation, and a huge budget for his staff was all a big deal. 

But the Nike affiliation versus Under Armor shouldn’t be discounted. We don’t really talk that much about shoe affiliations, but it’s a huge thing in recruiting. It’s not the end all be all, but it has a dramatic effect for sure. Beard was tired of always swimming upstream on that account with any player he recruited at Tech. Not to mention Austin is one of the easiest cities in college sports to recruit to, while Lubbock, regardless of the charms the local Chamber of Commerce touts, represents more of a challenge.

Also, recruiting at the highest level in basketball requires under the table money. I don’t care what program it is, if they’re perennially successful there are signing bonuses involved and quality of life benefits while on campus for the top players. It certainly put us in the backseat with the Cason Wallace recruitment. Getting all of that figured out is going to be a lot better in the 2nd year than right when he hit campus. 

We’ll see what recruiting looks like going forward. You and I both know Beard is going to lean on the portal heavily, but I also feel like the profile of recruit he goes after out of high school at every position will continue to escalate. It’s just that the big men are going to follow a very specific type of ideal, which means the ability to switch will outweigh NBA potential, for example. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Well, I know a big reason for his move to Texas and his mindset regarding putting together the staff he did was going after higher profile players. Obviously the alma mater thing was big, and being a top ten paid coach with plenty of room for escalation, and a huge budget for his staff was all a big deal. 

But the Nike affiliation versus Under Armor shouldn’t be discounted. We don’t really talk that much about shoe affiliations, but it’s a huge thing in recruiting. It’s not the end all be all, but it has a dramatic effect for sure. Beard was tired of always swimming upstream on that account with any player he recruited at Tech. Not to mention Austin is one of the easiest cities in college sports to recruit to, while Lubbock, regardless of the charms the local Chamber of Commerce touts, represents more of a challenge.

Also, recruiting at the highest level in basketball requires under the table money. I don’t care what program it is, if they’re perennially successful there are signing bonuses involved and quality of life benefits while on campus for the top players. It certainly put us in the backseat with the Cason Wallace recruitment. Getting all of that figured out is going to be a lot better in the 2nd year than right when he hit campus. 

We’ll see what recruiting looks like going forward. You and I both know Beard is going to lean on the portal heavily, but I also feel like the profile of recruit he goes after out of high school at every position will continue to escalate. It’s just that the big men are going to follow a very specific type of ideal, which means the ability to switch will outweigh NBA potential, for example. 

I'm obviously fine with ability to switch outweighing NBA potential.  NBA potential doesn't win NCAA tournament games in March- college production does- as Shaka gave a master class in.

Question tangentially related to talk about money bringing in recruits:?

Do you have any idea if we are going to be paying guys like AJ and Carr more to stick around than they'd make playing overseas?  I know G League money is nothing- but $200,000 to play in Austin seems better to me, all things considered, than $200k to play in Australia or Greece or Italy.   We got enough cash to keep non-NBA but definite overseas guys around for 4 (or more) years?

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm obviously fine with ability to switch outweighing NBA potential.  NBA potential doesn't win NCAA tournament games in March- college production does- as Shaka gave a master class in.

Do you have any idea if we are going to be paying guys like AJ and Carr more to stick around than they'd make playing overseas?  I know G League money is nothing- but $200,000 to play in Austin seems better to me, all things considered, than $200k to play in Australia or Greece or Italy.   We got enough cash to keep non-NBA but definite overseas guys around for 4 (or more) years?

I don’t know any of the dollar figures. I’m just not hooked in enough any more. I’m not aware of any NIL deals paying that much at Texas, even the big announced ones. I do know other schools are paying at least some of their players those kinds of amounts. Kentucky and Memphis absolutely are. Arkansas had a big NIL announcement a few weeks ago. Based on their recruiting class it looks like KU has figured something out even though they still don’t have resolution on the FBI adidas deal. 

I do have confidence in Beard figuring that part out, and there are quite a few wealthy alum who are hungry for success in basketball. I don’t see us equaling Kentucky in that regard, but we just need to be in the ballpark. 

We’re going to see those numbers rise dramatically, too. With no salary cap, no real way of even measuring things so there’s some kind of transparent recognition of what the market is, and a ton of egos involved who identify personal success with the success of their alma mater in sports, we’re just seeing the beginning of things. The big game changer is if the power conference schools set up their own basketball tournament with whatever inclusion they decide to give to the other conferences around the country. Then the money explodes and we see the market value of a great basketball player go through the roof. 

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

I don’t know any of the dollar figures. I’m just not hooked in enough any more. I’m not aware of any NIL deals paying that much at Texas, even the big announced ones. I do know other schools are paying at least some of their players those kinds of amounts. Kentucky and Memphis absolutely are. Arkansas had a big NIL announcement a few weeks ago. Based on their recruiting class it looks like KU has figured something out even though they still don’t have resolution on the FBI adidas deal. 

I do have confidence in Beard figuring that part out, and there are quite a few wealthy alum who are hungry for success in basketball. I don’t see us equaling Kentucky in that regard, but we just need to be in the ballpark. 

We’re going to see those numbers rise dramatically, too. With no salary cap, no real way of even measuring things so there’s some kind of transparent recognition of what the market is, and a ton of egos involved who identify personal success with the success of their alma mater in sports, we’re just seeing the beginning of things. The big game changer is if the power conference schools set up their own basketball tournament with whatever inclusion they decide to give to the other conferences around the country. Then the money explodes and we see the market value of a great basketball player go through the roof. 

I hate the idea of them doing anything to fuck with the tournament. It's pretty much the perfect event as it is (ignoring the nonsense first 4 games which I think almost everyone does).

If the power conferences wanted a money grab what about some grand version of all these SEC v Big 12 or Big 10 v ACC coming into being in one place?  

Like - lets send the top 4 schools in each power league to Vegas for 3 days around MLK time (when the NBA has an all star game and nobody is paying attention) for a 16 teamer.  You play pods of 4 where you play the other 3 squads round robin style.  Just take a break from the middle of the conference schedule for that week for the power leagues.  I wonder how much that might be worth to ESPN or Fox or CBS.  MLK would after football season and before spring break, when the NBA is down for a week with nothing going on.  It could sort of be the midpoint of the conference season and the official kickoff to people paying attention to college hoops beyond just the die hards.  Maybe bring in some interest for the back half of conference play going into the tournaments and of course the big dance.  Hell, maybe Amazon or Apple could throw $200,000,000 at it- that's what- Shonda Rhymes money for them?  The Tournament is worth $850,000,000.00  a year- would a mid season- Sweet 16 preview be worth 20% of that to a streamer looking to make themselves a must have for sports fans? Is that week 20% as valuable as a thursday night NFL game (especially considering that I think production costs would be much lower).  Would the big boys go for something like that if it was worth $40 or $50 million to the league?  Would aggy ever be invited to play?   

49 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Gleague guys wish they made 200k. The only Gleague guys who make that sort of money are guys with 2- way contracts with their NBA affiliates and Gleague Ignite guys who forgo their college eligibility to play 1 year in the Gleague prior to being drafted.  Guys like Matt Coleman make around 40k. 

Ha! I don’t know @Wulaw Horn . I’m just telling you what the conversations are about. The NCAA is in an existential crisis. At the root of it are the big money conferences want an unimpeded ability to spend more money on athletics. They want to make their own rules which are geared more towards their collective needs, and if they do something like split away from the NCAA the big cash cow is the tournament, which they will take with them. 

That was the big driver for Texas leaving the Big 12. There was an internal conflict among the programs regarding pouring way more money into athletics at a rate they can’t afford, Texas wanted a conference affiliation that unabashedly advocated for fewer restrictions on athletic spending. 

Anyway, the NCAA is trying to accommodate the Power programs while still maintaining a semblance of an organization, but the cracks keep getting bigger and bigger. 

24 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Gleague guys wish they made 200k. The only Gleague guys who make that sort of money are guys with 2- way contracts with their NBA affiliates and Gleague Ignite guys who forgo their college eligibility to play 1 year in the Gleague prior to being drafted.  Guys like Matt Coleman make around 40k. 

In case that wasn't clear I was saying I know G-league guys make nothing so I'd rather make $200k to play for UT than have to go overseas to make that kind of money.  I would think most guys at that age would value being at school in America for $200k over going abroad for 200k.  The GLeague should never get another player that has any college eligibility at all.  If the NBA were smart (and I think they are), they would recognize that their bread is buttered much more having the entire top 10 in college being seen by millions of people in a huge show case as opposed to guys like Jalen Green getting seen by 10's or 100's of degenerate hoop junkies only. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Ha! I don’t know @Wulaw Horn . I’m just telling you what the conversations are about. The NCAA is in an existential crisis. At the root of it are the big money conferences want an unimpeded ability to spend more money on athletics. They want to make their own rules which are geared more towards their collective needs, and if they do something like split away from the NCAA the big cash cow is the tournament, which they will take with them. 

That was the big driver for Texas leaving the Big 12. There was an internal conflict among the programs regarding pouring way more money into athletics at a rate they can’t afford, Texas wanted a conference affiliation that unabashedly advocated for fewer restrictions on athletic spending. 

Anyway, the NCAA is trying to accommodate the Power programs while still maintaining a semblance of an organization, but the cracks keep getting bigger and bigger. 

The Cinderella aspect of St. Peters absolutely makes the tournament.  I can't fathom the world being a better place without March Madness including those kind of runs and being a high major production only.  There has to be other ways to make money. 

I've got another one if you don't like the Vegas idea for MLK week (which would be really fun)- All the Big Boys get together and say they will have an intersectional game every Monday night for the cream of the crop during the season- starting first January after bowl season- make it 8 weeks and 32 teams- sell it to the streamers as a Thursday night deal in January and February and make it exclusive and intersectional and with compelling match ups that fans want to see (with an undercard and heavyweight vibe to it):

Example (once Texas and OU are in the SEC but imagining all the teams were this good):

U: Texas V Texas Tech then H: Kentucky v UNC

U:  Baylor v Penn State then H: Duke v UCLA

U:  OU v Neb then H: Kansas v Michigan State

U:  Tenn v USC then H: Gonzaga v Arizona

So- the first game is sort of if there's a grudge or a feud (or maybe even a rematch of a classic game from the prior year in the tournament) and the 2nd game is a matchup of intersectional blue bloods/teams at the top of the rankings.  Make it a weekly series where it's appointment viewing and not up against anything else special.  I like the week long get together better as a kick off for the sprint to the end of the season, but a streamer might like this better as more reliable content dropping on such and such a date.  

College basketball just doesn't get any mind share or attention anymore except March Madness.  If they could find a way to steal some (or take what's left over) then I would think they could monetize that. 

Of course- to make it topical to the Shaka Smart thread I'd pay lots of money to watch people throw rotten tomatoes at Shaka while he pretends to coach.  I mean, not really, but I might watch it on TV if that was the deal he had to face at his press conferences after his team embarrasses itself in March. 

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The Cinderella aspect of St. Peters absolutely makes the tournament.  I can't fathom the world being a better place without March Madness including those kind of runs and being a high major production only.  There has to be other ways to make money. 

I've got another one if you don't like the Vegas idea for MLK week (which would be really fun)- All the Big Boys get together and say they will have an intersectional game every Monday night for the cream of the crop during the season- starting first January after bowl season- make it 8 weeks and 32 teams- sell it to the streamers as a Thursday night deal in January and February and make it exclusive and intersectional and with compelling match ups that fans want to see (with an undercard and heavyweight vibe to it):

Example (once Texas and OU are in the SEC but imagining all the teams were this good):

U: Texas V Texas Tech then H: Kentucky v UNC

U:  Baylor v Penn State then H: Duke v UCLA

U:  OU v Neb then H: Kansas v Michigan State

U:  Tenn v USC then H: Gonzaga v Arizona

So- the first game is sort of if there's a grudge or a feud (or maybe even a rematch of a classic game from the prior year in the tournament) and the 2nd game is a matchup of intersectional blue bloods/teams at the top of the rankings.  Make it a weekly series where it's appointment viewing and not up against anything else special.  I like the week long get together better as a kick off for the sprint to the end of the season, but a streamer might like this better as more reliable content dropping on such and such a date.  

College basketball just doesn't get any mind share or attention anymore except March Madness.  If they could find a way to steal some (or take what's left over) then I would think they could monetize that. 

Of course- to make it topical to the Shaka Smart thread I'd pay lots of money to watch people throw rotten tomatoes at Shaka while he pretends to coach.  I mean, not really, but I might watch it on TV if that was the deal he had to face at his press conferences after his team embarrasses itself in March. 

I like the passion you have for the idea, but I don’t have anything to add to it. I love the Big 12-SEC challenge and how it comes after conference play has started, so I’m not opposed to your ideas. I guess I’d need to see some kind of sign it has any semblance of occurring before I gave it much thought. 

11 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I like the passion you have for the idea, but I don’t have anything to add to it. I love the Big 12-SEC challenge and how it comes after conference play has started, so I’m not opposed to your ideas. I guess I’d need to see some kind of sign it has any semblance of occurring before I gave it much thought. 

Oh it doesn't have any chance of happening I'm sure. I just wish the big conference guys would expand some thought into creating something additive for college hoops fans as opposed to trying to steal the one event that works better than any other sporting event on the calendar, while in the process making it worse.  

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The ability to switch is now a big part of the NBA potential.  The NBA doesn’t want slow footed bangers inside any more than Chris Beard does.  Jarrett Allen, Evan Mobley, Chet Holmgren and Jabari Smith are this generation’s 5 star big men.  

Other than Will Baker, who was just overrated, the type of bigs that Shaka was recruiting here would be great in Beard’s system.  Jericho Sims would have been a defensive monster for us this year if he had stayed.

Imagine Bamba with his lateral quickness and length. We would probably play the drop slightly more but he could still switch and was elite elite at rim protection 

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The ability to switch is now a big part of the NBA potential.  The NBA doesn’t want slow footed bangers inside any more than Chris Beard does.  Jarrett Allen, Evan Mobley, Chet Holmgren and Jabari Smith are this generation’s 5 star big men.  

Other than Will Baker, who was just overrated, the type of bigs that Shaka was recruiting here would be great in Beard’s system.  Jericho Sims would have been a defensive monster for us this year if he had stayed.

I didn't mean to indicate being able to switch and NBA potential were mutually exclusive. Only that many more traditional bigs we see playing for other teams wouldn't work for Beard. To be honest, there weren't many of those in the Big 12. McCormack is my best example. Lampkin, but that fatso doesn't really count. Didn't think much of Thamba's ability to switch, to be honest. Most of the Big 12 had similar makeups to Texas in many ways, especially when it came to a lack of post players.

In any case, even if he brings bigger guys in, it will be interesting to see if they play or not. The defensive end is a no compromise sort of deal for Beard. That much is obvious.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:01 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Catching up on some of this. This is true but you make $53k for a 10 day - which you can sometimes fall ass backwards into. And you have a much more straightforward path to making the NBA than someone playing in Greece or Australia. 

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Catching up on some of this. This is true but you make $53k for a 10 day - which you can sometimes fall ass backwards into. And you have a much more straightforward path to making the NBA than someone playing in Greece or Australia. 

The comparison I was making for our purposes was UT v G League and UT v Overseas. 
If we can get our non nba types $200k to get another year we can outbid the GLeague and out quality of life overseas game. It’s certainly something you hope for to get senior seasons out of the PJ Tucker types. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The comparison I was making for our purposes was UT v G League and UT v Overseas. 
If we can get our non nba types $200k to get another year we can outbid the GLeague and out quality of life overseas game. It’s certainly something you hope for to get senior seasons out of the PJ Tucker types. 

I understand. Just saying all it takes is one NBA contract to blow anything Texas would be capable of paying out of the water. You're also playing against better players and living and breathing basketball to a larger degree. And you're much closer to playing in the NBA in the G League than you are at Texas. 

But - it isn't even relevant for some guys. Simply making the G League is really hard. 

I think the more relevant comparison is one year for teams like the Ignite (can't remember if it's the only team with 1 year guys on it right now - there will be more in the future) versus one year at Texas. That's where Beard needs to win some key battles. Sure we'd love to hang on to 3 and 4 year guys but it just doesn't change the program as much as hanging on to someone like Arterio. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I understand. Just saying all it takes is one NBA contract to blow anything Texas would be capable of paying out of the water. You're also playing against better players and living and breathing basketball to a larger degree. And you're much closer to playing in the NBA in the G League than you are at Texas. 

But - it isn't even relevant for some guys. Simply making the G League is really hard. 

I think the more relevant comparison is one year for teams like the Ignite (can't remember if it's the only team with 1 year guys on it right now - there will be more in the future) versus one year at Texas. That's where Beard needs to win some key battles. Sure we'd love to hang on to 3 and 4 year guys but it just doesn't change the program as much as hanging on to someone like Arterio. 

They are both important. 
I love KD. I think he’s the greatest. I’d be willing to fight anyone who says otherwise. He was awesome. He’s a once in a lifetime guy. He’s one of the very few players ever who I’d prefer their freshman campaign to a senior campaign for Pj Tucker and it’s actually closer than you might think. 
every other one and done combined we’ve had on campus I’d take a senior season from Tucker over them. 
you are too young (I think) to really remember what a special college player that dude was. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

you are too young (I think) to really remember what a special college player that dude was. 

Nah. I probably didn't understand how good he was at the time and didn't watch every game he played. I was plenty aware he was a big deal. I remember how special Vince was. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They are both important. 
I love KD. I think he’s the greatest. I’d be willing to fight anyone who says otherwise. He was awesome. He’s a once in a lifetime guy. He’s one of the very few players ever who I’d prefer their freshman campaign to a senior campaign for Pj Tucker and it’s actually closer than you might think. 
every other one and done combined we’ve had on campus I’d take a senior season from Tucker over them. 

I mean PJ would have been a top contender for NPOY if he stays another year. He dominated at the college level on both sides when he wanted to. He was the best rebounder we’ve had since probably 2000. Just an absolute monster at the college game

13 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I mean PJ would have been a top contender for NPOY if he stays another year. He dominated at the college level on both sides when he wanted to. He was the best rebounder we’ve had since probably 2000. Just an absolute monster at the college game

Yep. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...