Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

55 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Lewis is going to be a first round pick. 

How many first round picks can Shaka waste without winning a NCAA tournament game? This is reaching a crazy number since leaving VCU. 

Schoolhouse Rock said it best when talking about skating the figure 8:

Place it on its side and it's a symbol meaning infinity...”

• 1 month later...

without looking, take a guess at how many minutes per game Kai Jones got during sophomore (final) season at Texas. then guess how many starts he had, keeping in mind that his head coach recruited him and then watched him play basketball in person every day for two years. just guess.

Edited by shadow_operative

15 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

ha, i guess it just felt like he never played enough given he was my favorite player. 

it really did feel that way at times, and it's just insane to think that you could be in the gym with that guy day in and day out and decide that he only deserves the be on the court for about half the game, and sporadically at that. whatever you see a guy doing during the games, trust me when i say that he's 5x better than that in practice. to see what Kai was capable of every day and use him like that...just mind blowing.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the more time goes on, the more completely unbelievable that ACU game is. i want to see Adam Sandler make a movie about that game, told from the perspective of the ACU team. man that would be hilarious(ly depressing) to watch.

On the flip side, that’s like calling Charlie Strong’s loss to Kansas depressing. Not to make it about football, but something worse than what had already transpired had to occur to make a move with Shaka. This was it. 

That said, your various takes on that game are awesome, and hilarious to me. I’m just eternally grateful that era is in the rear view mirror, so I can laugh about how absurd it was. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the more time goes on, the more completely unbelievable that ACU game is. i want to see Adam Sandler make a movie about that game, told from the perspective of the ACU team. man that would be hilarious(ly depressing) to watch.

"Coach they can just dunk on us whenever they want. We have no way of stopping them, outside of fouling everyone out. What are we going to do?"

"I guess we have to hope.... (long pause)... for a miracle."

(cut to Shaka)

• Haha 1

there's a montage of Texas working out in a gym, and it's five guys who are all built like Ben Simmons and Ben Wallace, running, jumping, dunking, swatting shots into the rafters, etc. then the camera pans to reveal the Abilene Christian players standing in the tunnel, watching the workout in awe, and we finally get our first glimpse at the ACU squad:

E92CBB5E-9D36-45BC-B4EF-B357517D2136.thumb.jpeg.44c6c6608a215e241ec22147641796f1.jpeg

"looks like we've got some work to do."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

the tennessee state game is a fireable offense. it's worse than some of shaka's most embarrassing losses. 

FBBCF891-9DB2-4E6C-8548-00A3D121401F.thumb.jpeg.69890d34def5e7080d34ae04664b3ca5.jpeg

9A73DB8C-7E92-453F-BE30-6CD42F1EB758.thumb.jpeg.3292fc6dc047f5d11fc37975961e6fcd.jpeg

a 15-15 team that lost to Eastern Kentucky, Tennessee Tech (x2), Eastern Illinois, Southeast Missouri State, Tennessee Martin, North Carolina A&T, and SIU Edwardsville came to Austin and took Shaka's team to its absolute limit, holding Texas (a Tourney team featuring Mo Bamba, Matt Coleman, Jericho Sims, and Andrew Jones among others) to an absolutely astonishing total of 47 points. and yet people not only keep hiring this guy, but they swear to god that he's a good coach who just had tough luck/unrealistic expectations at Texas.

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2022 at 10:19 AM, Red Five said:

We're coming up on the 10 year anniversary of Shaka's last NCAA tournament win. 

You hear that, and you think "Oh, did he take a bunch of time off between jobs?".

"No."

Man we had two really really bad NCAA tournament coaches in a row. I just looked and the 2002 tournament is the last time Rick Barnes has won a game coaching a lower seed. He literally hasn't won a NCAA tournament game while coaching a lower seeded team in two decades now. While Shaka hasn't won ANY tournament games in a decade.

Thankfully Beard seems like he has righted the ship.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Man we had two really really bad NCAA tournament coaches in a row. I just looked and the 2002 tournament is the last time Rick Barnes has won a game coaching a lower seed. He literally hasn't won a NCAA tournament game while coaching a lower seeded team in two decades now. While Shaka hasn't won ANY tournament games in a decade.

LOL at calling a coach who went to the Sweet 16 five times in a six year period "a really really bad tourney coach", and citing his lack of upsets (kinda hard to get upset wins when you're almost always the higher seed) as evidence of that. wouldn't be basketball season without motown talking out of his ass about barnes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

EE9E46B7-46A7-4FAE-A46C-CCC5CA8A41B0.thumb.jpeg.820c023f260de820aba68b7ff1580cb8.jpeg

18 tourney wins in a 10 year stretch. only a moron would call that coach "a really really bad tourney coach." man it's been nice not having motown in my life these past six months. i guess all good things must come to an end. 

edit: during this decade at Texas barnes made the tourney every year, and only went one and done twice. once in an 8 vs 9 game that went to OT, and then once more when he lost PJ and LA halfway through the season. and he did that at a football school with almost zero tourney history prior to his arrival. as always, motown is full of shit. 

23 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Rick was/is a fair NCAA tournament coach. Not great, but certainly not really, really bad. He's John Wooden compared to Shaka.

He literally hasn't won a game his team isn't supposed to win in over 2 decades. And he's lost PLENTY that his team was supposed to win during that time. He's an awful tournament coach imo.

But that's a fair point on being Wooden compared to Shaka!🤣

ebeb8aa8b3fd78448185f9fde346bf62.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

anyone who averages 1.8 tourney wins per season over a decade at one school cannot be considered "a really really bad tourney coach" by anyone who's being objective. i'll bet the list of coaches who've ever pulled that off during any 10 year stretch is a who's who of CBB coaching royalty. 

But a big part of that tournament success is because he is a really good regular season coach.  If you go in as a 1 seed, you better win AT LEAST two games or you have really F'ed up. With two wins, you just beat at best a top~70 team (probably worse actually) and a top-35 team.  Congrats, you must be a great tourney coach.

Rick's best 10-year period was 2002 - 2011.  If you view his tournament success as achieving or failing vs. the expectations of his seed, you get the following:

• 2002 - 6 seed - 2 wins (over-achieved)
  • 2003 - 1 seed - 4 wins (met expectation)
  • 2004 - 3 seed - 2 wins (met expectation)
  • 2005 - 8 seed - 0 wins (failed)
  • 2006 - 2 seed - 3 wins (met expectation)
  • 2007 - 4 seed - 1 win (failed)
  • 2008 - 2 seed - 3 wins (met expectation)
  • 2009 - 8 seed - 0 wins (failed)
  • 2010 - 4 seed - 1 win (failed)
  • 2011 - 11 seed - 0 wins (failed)

So you have one year where he beat expectations vs. 5 where he failed.  That isn't a great tourney record IMO.  

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

But a big part of that tournament success is because he is a really good regular season coach.  If you go in as a 1 seed, you better win AT LEAST two games or you have really F'ed up. With two wins, you just beat at best a top~70 team (probably worse actually) and a top-35 team.  Congrats, you must be a great tourney coach.

Rick's best 10-year period was 2002 - 2011.  If you view his tournament success as achieving or failing vs. the expectations of his seed, you get the following:

So you have one year where he beat expectations vs. 5 where he failed.  That isn't a great tourney record IMO.  

Ding ding ding

And that's his BEST stretch. Ignoring the last decade where he has consistently shit the bed.

48 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

If someone posts that article that shows Barnes as like the second worst coach in the last 40 years for purposes of performing to seeding expectation in the NCAA Tournament, that would complete the cycle.  Alas, I can’t find it, but I did find this substitute:

Here you go. Please note that he ranked 558 out of 559 in 2018 BEFORE shitting the bed three additional times from 2019 - 2022 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/jim-boeheim-is-the-new-king-of-march-madness/

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Ding ding ding

And that's his BEST stretch. Ignoring the last decade where he has consistently shit the bed.

I would also point out that at no point in Rick's best 10 year stretch did he exceed expectations. Not once in 10 years. And not once since.

Again thankfully that is not true of our current head coach 🤘

7 hours ago, HookEm said:

a)it's not a great tourney record, but it's nowhere near a "really really bad" tour et record, and b)we've gone over this- aside from the 6 vs 11 loss to temple and maybe the loss to usc (strictly because of the MOV), barnes's tourney "underachievements" are essentially all 4 losing to a 5 and 8 losing to a 9 type games, which again, is quite far away from  being "a really really bad" tourney coach.

bittom line- motown is doing his motown thing and grouping in barnes and shaka as essentially being the same couch in the tourney at Texas, and that's just completely fucking retarded. barnes was awesome here for a decade- shaka never won a single game.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Ding ding ding

you're the one who specified that you were talking about his (and shaka's) tourney record at Texas. barnes has been at tennessee for most of the last decade. at Texas, he had a 10 year run where he essentially averaged going to the S16 every year. there's no way to backtrack on calling that "really really bad" other than to just admit that that's not true. 

Here you go. Please note that he ranked 558 out of 559 in 2018 BEFORE shitting the bed three additional times from 2019 - 2022 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/jim-boeheim-is-the-new-king-of-march-madness/

you know that when brought up this article it wasn't to shit in barnes, but to bemoan this retarded conversation and that article which have both been beaten to death here as nauseam, right? 

I would also point out that at no point in Rick's best 10 year stretch did he exceed expectations. Not once in 10 years. And not once since.

Again thankfully that is not true of our current head coach 🤘

LOL wut. this is one of the dumbest things you've ever said, and you're probably the stupidest person on this board. being a missed floater away from the elite 8 in 2002 wasn't exceeding expectations? making the final four the next year was merely "our expectation"? making the S16 by beating UNC as underdogs the year after TJ left didn't exceed our expectations? our starting lineup was Royal Ivey, Kenton Paulino, Brandon Mouton, Brad Buckman, and Jason Klotz, and we went to the S16 by beating a UNC team with Rashad McCants, Raymond Felton, and Sean May, and that doesn't count as exceeding expectations? god damn you're a moron.

there are two types of people in this argument: those who read these 538 articles and go back and look at what seed UT had and use that as the sole criteria for judging rick barnes as a tournament coach (HE NEVER DOES WELL, HE CRASHES AND BURNS EVERY YEAR!!), and then there are those who actually know what they're talking about. 

as ive pointed out many times, only one person on this board is unrepentantly obsessed with rick barnes, constantly finding ways to inject him into any thread they can, and it's motownhorn. i'm starting to think that when rick was stepping out back in the day it was so he could go ram his coco down mrs.motown's throat. it would certainly explain a lot.

rick barnes has spent nearly three decades routinely exceeding regular season expectations, and then performing right to or just below his tourney expectations. anyone who says or believes that he's one of the worst tourney coaches out there probably sets an alarm to wake up every morning and get their sports info from Skip, Shannon, SAS, and Max Kellerman. 

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

you know that when brought up this article it wasn't to shit in barnes, but to bemoan this retarded conversation and that article which have both been beaten to death here as nauseam, right? 

Someone literally mentioned the article so I posted it for them. I didn't post it out of nowhere. I posted it in response to longhornmatt.

You can simply ignore me if you don't like me instead of melting down. This is the last I will address you all season. No one wants to see us bicker back and forth. It's dumb. You do whatever you like. Call me as many names as you want. I'm not going to engage with you. Bye bye now 👋

• 1 month later...