Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

it's really difficult to be in a major conference such as the Big XII and and you finishing dead last in the country in any stat category, and yet Shaka managed to do that with our three point shooting that year. again, he's the most amazing loser i've ever seen. nobody does less with more than Shaka Smart. he's just an incredibly gifted and talented loser. a losing savant, if you will.

edit: oh yeah, he also had a sophomore Tevin Mack on that team. i'd totally forgotten about that.

A8379CAC-853B-4384-9142-5436E22C2794.jpeg.d98b3c4e0b8725de098878cf2faf409e.jpeg

13048DB2-B134-466B-B228-C9C9B9164B2B.jpeg.e8906465e6bb9336968e892c0ed691cd.jpeg

Shaka had Davis, Jones, Young, and Roach going 4-14.1 from deep on average every game. that's 14.1 attempted threes per game by guys who shot a combined .284 from deep. and after Tevin Mack departed, those guys became our top 4 shooters in terms of 3PA. again, just amazingly impressive ineptitude. a virtuoso performance of failure.

Edited by shadow_operative

one day, probably a year from now, maybe two, some Marquette fans are going to come searching for answers from Texas fans, they're going to find this thread, and they're going to read every single page in horror as they realize that the man who they believe(d) to be the chosen one was actually a well-documented fraud of epic proportions before Marquette ever hired him. Hi future Marquette fans! 👋 

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I wonder how many games I actually watched that season. I remember the shaggy thread better than any single game I watched.

i remember going to the season opener (Incarnate Word) and going, "holy shit this is the worst Texas team i may have ever seen", then going home to shaggy to share the bad news. most everything after that has been erased from my memory. 

26 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I wonder how many games I actually watched that season. I remember the shaggy thread better than any single game I watched.

I started that thread after we lost to TCU (who was terrible that year) a week after he’d run off Tevin Mack- his best player. 
People thought I was a reactionary idiot. Nope. 
And I’d really bought in to the hire. 

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I started that thread after we lost to TCU (who was terrible that year) a week after he’d run off Tevin Mack- his best player. 

real talk, so many people talked so much shit to you for starting that thread. now everyone agrees with you. i remember being so frustrated at how everyone totally dismissed you and anyone who agreed with you. classic example of 95% of people holding a position and being dead wrong. but when 95% of the people all think the same thing, good luck convincing anyone that they're wrong. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

real talk, so many people talked so much shit to you for starting that thread. now everyone agrees with you. i remember being so frustrated at how everyone totally dismissed you and anyone who agreed with you. classic example of 95% of people holding a position and being dead wrong. but when 95% of the people all think the same thing, good luck convincing anyone that they're wrong. 

I think the only thread I’ve ever gotten as much/more push back about was in 09 when I said that the nba was Lebron’s for good or ill.  Boy the dumb came out hot and heavy then. I think I bumped that thread every year for 5 or 6 years pointing and laughing. It was like unarguable. People are weird sometimes. 

17 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You guys are better than me. I watched that team and just straight out quit posting. I had dropped off at the end of Barnes' tenure, picked up Smart's first season, although I wasn't completley happy about how that went. I kept wondering when he was going to start playing like the VCU team I really liked had played. That second season I noped right on out of there. I watched the games, but I never became invested the way I prefer. And I've never seen much use in sharing my misery with everyone else. 

But this thread has been all kinds of cathartic for me. I appreciate everyone's contributions, but especially Derka's. I know what Shaka did was abysmal, but putting forth statistical analysis to measure how incompetent the job he did was is extraordinarily gratifying now that he's gone. 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 2/22/2022 at 7:16 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

I talk about my dad all the time, too. He's pretty awesome. Was an engineer for NASA right out of college. Worked his ass off all his whole life, but now he's got advanced dementia and can't remember what he ate for lunch.

So in lieu of being able to talk with him (like I used to), I now talk about him.

Kudos to anyone here for bragging on their dad. Dads are awesome.

You wanna know what Christmas is like at my house?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Big W for Shaka boys to right the ship and keep their tourney hopes in good shape 

Final spread was -8.5, so when I saw the score I just assumed that you were probably packing your shit in a frantic hurry to get out of town before the bookies realized that you couldn’t cover your losses. I’m glad to see you posting instead.

I presume you simply couldn’t bet on your boy today since payday isn’t til next Friday and you’ve already lost a shit ton this month as your spread-covering hero shit himself for like 3 straight weeks. 

• Haha 2

As I sat down for a little late dinner, I didnt think there’d be much on.  A meh Blazers Suns game. Couple decent SEC games. Then, to my delight, I see “Marquette 53 DePaul 66” on CBS Sports! What a treat! And what I saw soon after flipping over rivaled any sitcom - Depaul going alley-oop slam, layup, alley-oop slam to stretch an 11 point lead to 17.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Haha 3

I have nothing against Marquette fans. Haven’t even thought about them until now since Al McGuire used to be a broadcaster, and we’d be reminded of his national championship there on a recurring basis. But I wish them nothing but misery, so someone else gets to share on some scale what we fucking endured for 6 years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Shaka should be thanking the basketball gods.

They beat K-State by 1 in a game where K-State didn't have their best player in Pack. They beat Illinois by 1 in a game where Illinois didn't have their best player in Cockburn. 

If you flip those two Q1 wins to losses and Marquette is a bubble team. 

13 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Shaka should be thanking the basketball gods.

They beat K-State by 1 in a game where K-State didn't have their best player in Pack. They beat Illinois by 1 in a game where Illinois didn't have their best player in Cockburn. 

If you flip those two Q1 wins to losses and Marquette is a bubble team. 

if he has any self awareness then he's currently damning the basketball gods lol. if they don't make the tourney year one, eh, nobody expected them to. instead, they beat k state, they beat illinois, they beat providence, and they fucking swept seton hall and nova! lmao. now they have expectations of going to the S16 and beyond with a subpar roster and a coach who hasn't won a tourney game since 2013. 😂 this idiot went and somehow crushed all of january and got everyone all rock hard about Marquette Hoops, and now he's giving them their first taste of the authentic Shaka Smart experience. what sucks for Marquette fans is that they'll bend over backwards making excuses for him for the next 1-1.5 years before they start accepting reality. LOL, better them than us!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

ha. if he loses to St John's my 2-4 prediction will hit.  holy shit.  I guess they are in based on a couple early season wins plus Nova twice and Providence once.

Funny thing is I'm not sure this is even the normal Shaka late season decline. 

Marquette just ran into some massive luck early in the season with Illinois and K-State playing without their best players. Seton Hall was also really banged up in their 1 point loss against them. 

Reality is this is just a .500ish team if you take away the early season luck. 

2 hours ago, rantanamo said:

We are Tech minus going to their board to harrass.  No one is doing that, right?

yeah, great call. Chris Beard, the greatest coach in Tech history, leaves TTU for his alma mater, a step up in the college hoops world. TTU fans spend countless time, money, and energy doing things like coordinated attacks in his twitter page the day after he took his new job, and hiking up ticket prices (for tickets that only their fans will buy) for the game in Austin. they cuss him out en masse when he arrives in Lubbock for his return, they obsess over his every move, non stop, all over social media, despite the fact that they themselves have a good team to root for and a coach who they claim is better anyway.

vs

Shaka Smart- worst coach at Texas since Bob Weltlich, won zero tourney games in six years, ran his mouth on the way out of town despite Texas doing everything it could to prop him up and never really putting any job pressure on him. we react by having a thread about him where we laugh at his failures and thank god that he's fine.

yeah, i totally see your point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, rantanamo said:

We are Tech minus going to their board to harrass.  No one is doing that, right?

@shadow_operative nailed it as usual, but I do want to add that not only is no one going over to their boards to harass them, I don’t consider what Tech fans do here harassment. I feel like we have some really good contributors here that are Tech fans, who just happen to have strong feelings about their coach leaving, and felt very fulfilled to get a sweep over UT this year. 

I’m absolutely positive harassment has occurred involving Tech fans. I’ve seen some of it. However, IMO it hasn’t happened here. 

Getting back on point, schadenfreude is a special kind of pleasure. And thank you Germans who seem to have a word for everything. Eat shit, Shaka. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I did lurk on MU Scoop for a few minutes last night. That’s where I learned DePaul scored 59 points in the second half.

Well they were bound to have a letdown after their huge revenge win against butler the game before. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, great call. Chris Beard, the greatest coach in Tech history, leaves TTU for his alma mater, a step up in the college hoops world. TTU fans spend countless time, money, and energy doing things like coordinated attacks in his twitter page the day after he took his new job, and hiking up ticket prices (for tickets that only their fans will buy) for the game in Austin. they cuss him out en masse when he arrives in Lubbock for his return, they obsess over his every move, non stop, all over social media, despite the fact that they themselves have a good team to root for and a coach who they claim is better anyway.

vs

Shaka Smart- worst coach at Texas since Bob Weltlich, won zero tourney games in six years, ran his mouth on the way out of town despite Texas doing everything it could to prop him up and never really putting any job pressure on him. we react by having a thread about him where we laugh at his failures and thank god that he's fine.

yeah, i totally see your point. 

If we had Marquette scheduled at Moody next season, you'd probably get about 6 people to show up when the MU team bus pulled up.  And half of them would be like "why do we hate this guy?" 

Laughing at Shaka on the internet is nothing at all like what Tech fans/alumni have done to Beard.  At all. 

54 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If we had Marquette scheduled at Moody next season, you'd probably get about 6 people to show up when the MU team bus pulled up.  And half of them would be like "why do we hate this guy?" 

Laughing at Shaka on the internet is nothing at all like what Tech fans/alumni have done to Beard.  At all. 

I mean, I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire, but I'm also not going a second out of my way to be in his face or boo or tell him how much he sucked or anything like that, and I have to think I'm in the top  2 or 3% of horn fans most hostile to Shaka.  But it was incompetence matched with a "you people are beneath me" attitude I didn't like- that's not something that is going to motivate someone to go show up and boo. 
Pointing and laughing is definitely more my speed with that clown. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

if he has any self awareness then he's currently damning the basketball gods lol. if they don't make the tourney year one, eh, nobody expected them to. instead, they beat k state, they beat illinois, they beat providence, and they fucking swept seton hall and nova! lmao. now they have expectations of going to the S16 and beyond with a subpar roster and a coach who hasn't won a tourney game since 2013. 😂 this idiot went and somehow crushed all of january and got everyone all rock hard about Marquette Hoops, and now he's giving them their first taste of the authentic Shaka Smart experience. what sucks for Marquette fans is that they'll bend over backwards making excuses for him for the next 1-1.5 years before they start accepting reality. LOL, better them than us!

You're missing out if you don't plan on reveling in Marquette fan misery from here forward. If @LTtxfan has any gumption, he'll start giving us tweets or Marquette board posts displaying said misery as it continues to unfold.

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire, but I'm also not going a second out of my way to be in his face or boo or tell him how much he sucked or anything like that, and I have to think I'm in the top  2 or 3% of horn fans most hostile to Shaka.  But it was incompetence matched with a "you people are beneath me" attitude I didn't like- that's not something that is going to motivate someone to go show up and boo. 
Pointing and laughing is definitely more my speed with that clown. 

What the fuck is this nonsense? I would 100% boo and shit talk Shakablah if it were convenient for me. If I happened to be going through an airport and saw him, I'd gladly tell him what a fucking fraud he is and how shitty he is for the fanbases of the teams he coaches. Gladly. People would call me petty and I'd cackle and then go catch my flight.

On a separate note, I'm worried about @MotownHorn. We need to monitor the police reports in Morgantown and Detroit (just to be sure) and watch for any public hangings of a bet shirker. I'm guessing he liquidated his kids' 529 and his wife's IRA to bet on the sure thing of Marquette's giving only 1.5 points last night at tipoff and even that won't cover what he owes.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You're missing out if you don't plan on reveling in Marquette fan misery from here forward. If @LTtxfan has any gumption, he'll start giving us tweets or Marquette board posts displaying said misery as it continues to unfold.

What the fuck is this nonsense? I would 100% boo and shit talk Shakablah if it were convenient for me. If I happened to be going through an airport and saw him, I'd gladly tell him what a fucking fraud he is and how shitty he is for the fanbases of the teams he coaches. Gladly. People would call me petty and I'd cackle and then go catch my flight.

On a separate note, I'm worried about @MotownHorn. We need to monitor the police reports in Morgantown and Detroit (just to be sure) and watch for any public hangings of a bet shirker. I'm guessing he liquidated his kids' 529 and his wife's IRA to bet on the sure thing of Marquette's giving only 1.5 points last night at tipoff and even that won't cover what he owes.

Laughing at the imagery of "if it's convenient to me" like walking through the airport and then seeing you boo Shaka as you cross paths on the people mover things in opposite directions.  Why don't you just admit to it and tell us you'd definitely give him a shoulder check in the terminal?

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll be the one to post some Schadenfreude from the MUScoop boards.

Season Low

If you read the Texas fan boards, a lot of them viewed Shaka like we viewed Wojo - fades late in the season. There's still some time for redemption, but if we a$$ slide our way out of this season most of the goodwill from that January run will evaporate.

DumpPaul

1. Poop
2. Dump
3. Poop and Dump
4. Turnovers

Burn the film. This is our nadir.

They have an aggy over there who is disappointed:

The offense continues to be great.  The defense has sunk to sub Wojo levels. Never thought that would Jalen under Shaka.

(I think he meant "happen' instead of Jalen.)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I'll be the one to post some Schadenfreude from the MUScoop boards.

Season Low

DumpPaul

They have an aggy over there who is disappointed:

(I think he meant "happen' instead of Jalen.)

"This is our nadir." Hahahahaha. Ummmmm, no, it isn't. In fact, that program has yet to begin plumbing the depths to which Shakablah will eventually take them. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I mean he left us for Marquette, completely out of the blue. that bastard. Dude thinks he is better off there than Texas.  No matter that he's from Wisconsin.  we should be sending recon outfits to protest in front of his house, harass their busses when the pull into providence and buy all the tickets for their home games against georgetown.

But to be honest I really don't care...

I may need to ask tech fan if I'm doing this right.

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

I did lurk on MU Scoop for a few minutes last night. That’s where I learned DePaul scored 59 points in the second half.

Texas has held it's opponent to 59 or less 7 times in conference. Plus Tennessee.