Asbestos. Am I fucked?

So, I’m having hardwood floors put in the bedrooms and hall today. Previously, they were carpet. House was built in’62 and there was original vinyl tile remaining in the closets. We put carpet in the bedrooms originally and just put the carpet over the vinyl in the closets. The plan was that the installers would leave the carpet in the closets so they didn’t have to disturb the vinyl underneath.

I walked back there and the guy had removed the carpet and haphazardly scrapped up all the old vinyl tile. I have no idea if it’s asbestos but odds are high due to age.

I just went and bought a medical grade HEPA air filter and am running it right now. I’ll open all windows and doors also.

Am I fucked? Or is it not that big of a deal unless it’s long term exposure?

Get an N95 mask keep the shit wet with a mist and tear all that shit out.  Bag it, seal and be gone.  

I honestly would not freak out.  It is what it is.   Bunch of fucking old people round right now that did the same thing 4 times 50 years ago.  As Gil Bang said. Undisturbed you were OK.  But now you cracked the seal, and might as well deal with it one time and be gone!

Then... let's go lick a little paint! And get the lead testing kit!

Edited by horn4life

I’m past being concerned. It is what it is. Floors got installed. Moved the HEPA filter from room to room today. It needs 20 minutes to completely recycle the air in a 500 sq ft room. The largest room is less than half that. I left it in each room for 90 minutes. It’s about as good as it’s gonna get.

On the bright side, there’s no more carpet and I got hardwood installed in the closets that I didn’t pay for.

• Haha 1