Thoughts on the new Texas Constitutional Carry?

Armybrat

1 hour ago, NoRagrets said:

This seems really well though out. What could go wrong?

It’s all theater.  Meaningless.  Don’t worry about it.

Moose outside shoulda toldya.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

According to the CDC there are hundreds of thousands of events like that each year.  "Instances" where someone feels threatened and either has a show of force or actually has to point the weapon.  

The only member of my family (besides the cop nephews) since WW2 that has ever had to Draw on a bad guy was my late 80 year old MIL. She threw down on a drunk/drugged dude who was trying to force his way through her kitchen door late one night. She used a little potmetal Titan .25 semiauto POS. The guy saw it, paused for a moment, then took off running with MIL’s yapping toy poodle in hot pursuit.

I told her later she missed her big chance to get laid.

I also replaced that POS Titan with this real gun (S&W Model 36). My son owns both now.... keeping the .25 as a memento of his grandma’s gunslinging days.

1AFFE5B8-D78A-47B7-9FDD-5E14C32FA34A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

The only member of my family (besides the cop nephews) since WW2 that has ever had to Draw on a bad guy was my late 80 year old MIL. She threw down on a drunk/drugged dude who was trying to force his way through her kitchen door late one night. She used a little potmetal Titan .25 semiauto POS. The guy saw it, paused for a moment, then took off running with MIL’s yapping toy poodle in hot pursuit.

I told her later she missed her big chance to get laid.

I also replaced that POS Titan with this real gun (S&W Model 36). My son owns both now.... keeping the .25 as a memento of his grandma’s gunslinging days.

1AFFE5B8-D78A-47B7-9FDD-5E14C32FA34A.jpeg

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I’m not understanding what you’re saying. Maybe re-read what I wrote?

Demonstrating proficiency at the gun range can mean a variety of things. Just need a little more definition, IMHO. 

Demonstrating proficiency at the gun range can mean a variety of things. Just need a little more definition, IMHO. 

Sure.

Similar to what they do now. 50 rounds, whatever. They key for me is someone has to get off their couch and complete a task or two instead of strapping up and cruising out the door.

29 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Sure.

Similar to what they do now. 50 rounds, whatever. They key for me is someone has to get off their couch and complete a task or two instead of strapping up and cruising out the door.

I agree with this as well, but the current landscape is SO watered down anyone that can fog a mirror can, will, and does pass.  It's painfully easy to pass and really just a waste of time.  It's the equivalent of drivers ed after you get a ticket.  

I wish it was more robust, but it's just not.  

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

What do you want 'em to concentrate on, pregnancy flight suits for Texas Air National Guard?

Of course not. That’s why I’m grateful that they focus on guns and abortions.

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I agree with this as well, but the current landscape is SO watered down anyone that can fog a mirror can, will, and does pass.  It's painfully easy to pass and really just a waste of time.  It's the equivalent of drivers ed after you get a ticket.  

I wish it was more robust, but it's just not.  

While I think it is only common sense for every gun owner to have taken safety & training classes, the government should not mandate it any more than requiring literacy & civics test in order to vote.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

CCW holsters have come a long way, but they still aren't as comfortable as a Galco pancake on your belt.  I live in flyover country and there is enough open carry that an individual who carries doesn't stand out.  For those reasons, I often OC when I'm wearing a jacket or pullover that partially obscures my weapon.

I've never drawn on a man, but I've been out in the boonies late at for work, where coyotes, mountain lions and meth heads are known to be.  Call me a little pecker beta or whatever, but I was grateful for my XD.

Lastly, it was mentioned upthread by someone who doesn't carry because he isn't comfortable with a gun.  Totally understandable, and thank you for being safe.  Your local gun range might occasionally bring in an outside instructor for a 2 day course.  Some of them can be pretty cheap, and some of them can be $700.  Think about what you wanna spend and check it out.  I took a 2 day carbine course a few years back and it changed my life.

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

While I think it is only common sense for every gun owner to have taken safety & training classes, the government should not mandate it any more than requiring literacy & civics test in order to vote.

Exactly. What fucking difference does it make if you are a marksman or a beginner? Most self defense situations are close range, so it's all really just point and shoot. And the classes can't simulate a high stress, life or death situation anyway. While I agree that it should be required that a person not have an eyesight or other handicap that would prevent them from safely using a firearm, it shouldn't really matter how good of a shot you are to obtain a CCL. If I recall correctly, Kentucky never had this requirement for a CCL 

21 hours ago, Cajun said:

It’s all theater.  Meaningless.  Don’t worry about it.

Moose outside shoulda toldya.

Pretty much.  How many people own a compact or subcompact, but don't carry or ever had any intentions to carry?  How many people purchased the gun, took it to the range a few times, then did nothing with it?  I'd guess the number is a very small percentage of owners of people that already own, but haven't take the time to take a class yet?

Some have pistols at home for HD/SD.  I have a 1911 in the safe by the bed.  My first pistol.  I shoot the best with it.  But I'm not carrying that heavy thing around, even if I was a fan of OWB (which I'm not).  

Maybe a few midsize pistol owners carry now.  Say they purchased a Glock 19 on a suggestion.  You can carry those, but not all that well (body type dependent).  

I'd be curious to see how many people carry now that have never carried before, and whether they carry consistently; which is the key point.  A few will start out, realize having a block of metal and plastic tucked up against you all day kind of sucks, and stop carrying - hence the full circle back to my original point about compacts and subcompacts.  Even my little 365 can get on my nerves if I'm wearing shorts and a tshirt and it's hot or getting in and out and in and out of the car (running errands, etc)

• Hook 'Em 1

^^And those "spectacles" will continue to be overreported while the flip side is buried deep, deep down by the media and their little social helpers.

"Old tricks are the best tricks, right Major?"

iu-1.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Pretty much.  How many people own a compact or subcompact, but don't carry or ever had any intentions to carry?  How many people purchased the gun, took it to the range a few times, then did nothing with it?  I'd guess the number is a very small percentage of owners of people that already own, but haven't take the time to take a class yet?

Some have pistols at home for HD/SD.  I have a 1911 in the safe by the bed.  My first pistol.  I shoot the best with it.  But I'm not carrying that heavy thing around, even if I was a fan of OWB (which I'm not).  

Maybe a few midsize pistol owners carry now.  Say they purchased a Glock 19 on a suggestion.  You can carry those, but not all that well (body type dependent).  

I'd be curious to see how many people carry now that have never carried before, and whether they carry consistently; which is the key point.  A few will start out, realize having a block of metal and plastic tucked up against you all day kind of sucks, and stop carrying - hence the full circle back to my original point about compacts and subcompacts.  Even my little 365 can get on my nerves if I'm wearing shorts and a tshirt and it's hot or getting in and out and in and out of the car (running errands, etc)

Same here. I will rarely carry, since I'm not usually dressed for it. It fits fine in cargo shorts side pockets, however unfashionable that may be. But my 365 stays in the truck 99.99% of the time. I rarely go anywhere that I feel uncomfortable, I haven't been even to Ft. Worth in over two months, and go into Granbury maybe once a week. There is absolutely nothing to worry about in Granbury.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

29 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Same here. I will rarely carry, since I'm not usually dressed for it. It fits fine in cargo shorts side pockets, however unfashionable that may be. But my 365 stays in the truck 99.99% of the time. I rarely go anywhere that I feel uncomfortable, I haven't been even to Ft. Worth in over two months, and go into Granbury maybe once a week. There is absolutely nothing to worry about in Granbury.

CHIEF

I carry as much as a I can honestly to get used to carrying.  I want it to be natural and non descriptive in any way.  Call it practice.  Just in case.  People new to carrying shift and move it around a lot, trying to find a comfortable position.  I want to get to a point that I forget it's there.  

Guest Lobo

As the great 2a proponent, Bob Armstrong, once said: “if I got guac.  Then add some chedda’, gimme a beretta, ‘cause I’m down for whateva’!”  

Edited by Lobo

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Nothing better than making criminals on par with law abiding citizens! 

Let’s fix this-

Nothing like making law abiding citizens on par with criminals.

There.

Reality 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, MillerEP said:

I'm all for it. In a time when most States are trying to further restrict their citizens rights, it's good to see Texas returning some back.

I would Pos rep, but you are/were at 1066. Cool year. 

I disagree with this stunt at this moment in history, but that is one of the pressure relief valves built into the Constitution. The First Amendment (stunt political speech) and the Second Amendment right to bear arms serve/d vital interests for our new nation. 

I feel bad for the LEO who have to deal with assholes with wiring issues up top. They are gonna bear the brunt of the negative externalities flowing from petty disputes. Criminal weapons charges will need to enhanced, to send a message and take armed gun criminals off the street. 

As a supporter of the Second Amendment, I encourage those who make a mockery of this natural right to grow the fuck up. Responsible gun owners should be prized in a society. The bad faith actors give the Second Amendment a bad name. Fuck 'em. Lock them up and throw away the key. They cannot be trusted in a society that allows the right to bear arms. Free will has consequences. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Beautiful country. I would do the same as you if lived down that way. At a minimum I would want something in the truck to take a wounded animal out of its misery. That's some peaceful easy country out that way.