Thoughts on the new Texas Constitutional Carry?

Armybrat

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Purse snatchers. The ladies I know who carry do so on their person.

Wow. Didn't even think about that. She has a CC purse. I've taught her to be very aware of her surroundings. For her, it is mainly walking into the Houston office, the hotel, and going to eat at night. She has a hammerless revolver and can pull it quick from her purse, but that would do little good if she lost her purse.

Also, I am like you AB, in that I respect property or business owners wanting to keep their premises gun free. I can choose wether or not to go there, and respect their decision. Their property rights supersede my 2nd amendment rights in my mind. Life, and property are two of the main tenants of why we have the 2nd Amendment. 

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I mean, why else would you get all defensive about it? We know you don't give a fuck about Chicago or any of those other places you mentioned. You could simply use common sense and avoid those areas like i said. Like why are none of the people defending the honor of guns on the internet ever from those areas? Kinda weird isn't it?

Defensive?  Who said I was defensive?  Tell ME NOW!!!

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The best course is to ignore a sign telling you that the business owner has decided that you can't bring a gun on the premises, but you will respect their wishes when they back that up with a verbal request?

Do you think that warehouse owner gave firearm permission when you and your dad Joe started that fuckin' bullet festival on Harvey Keitel and Tim Roth?

Huh, tough guy?

Edited by Cajun
Btw, you'd better leave a fucking tip.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Anything that gets more guns into more non fuckstick criminal hands more easily is a good thing.

Good work, Texas.

There, now it's part of reality and not pretend

Edited by Cajun

I personally would never carry in a place with the appropriate signage.  It’s a pretty serious offense.  I don’t carry much these days anyway.  Outside of the FN 5.7 I keep locked in my truck’s console safe.  

8EE7E290-D143-4BBB-89D5-9618CA3DEB6A.thumb.jpeg.59da395396b02d0fb59926aa1e499114.jpeg
7E7B3658-4E40-4DBF-B9A6-D6917B5320CC.thumb.jpeg.6644ced8f732f7140031995b83e721bb.jpeg
Johnny got a 'Cop Killer'!

J/k

So the Tx legislature is outlawing teaching certain aspects of history/social studies on the grounds of it could make students feel uncomfortable… while plowing const carry through at the same time. Seems consistent.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I’m not a huge fan of constitutional carry (not that anyone here cares what I think) but do wish getting a permit was easier/cheaper.

Perfect world would be this:
Go to a gun range
Demonstrate proficiency
Upload proficiency doc
Get new DL that now shows you have an LTC
Pay $10

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluto said:

So the Tx legislature is outlawing teaching certain aspects of history/social studies on the grounds of it could make students feel uncomfortable… while plowing const carry through at the same time. Seems consistent.

Why govern when special interest groups will write the laws and give you all of the talking points.  And $$$.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I’m not a huge fan of constitutional carry (not that anyone here cares what I think) but do wish getting a permit was easier/cheaper.

Go to a gun range
Demonstrate proficiency
Upload proficiency doc
Pay $10

Not hammering you, but there is a little more to gaining a permit than just being able to fire the weapon. Rightly so.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

the reality is 90% of the general population are fucktards. fucktards shouldn't be walking around with guns.

Or be able to leave their house, yet here we are…

Guest Lobo

I think under this new law, you'll still have to register to vote.  You won't have to do jackshit to festoon a handgun, except be able to exhale CO2.  And even that'll be a challenge for most people carrying.  

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

the reality is 90% of the general population are fucktards. fucktards shouldn't be walking around with guns.

But they should be allowed to operate heavy machinery? Any fucktard that wanted to carry already was. 

I would never open carry but women really don't gave a lot of great conceal carry options. 

I guess this lets Texas describe itself as a 2nd amendment sanctuary state, so there's the political trophy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think under this new law, you'll still have to register to vote.  You won't have to do jackshit to festoon a handgun, except be able to exhale CO2.  And even that'll be a challenge for most people carrying.  

Incorrect. To buy one from an FFL you still have to jump through the federal transfer paperwork and background check.... plus pay the fee.

Edited by Armybrat

On 5/23/2021 at 5:59 AM, bolverk said:

With the understanding that we don't know entirely what's going to end up in this bill, there has been talk about a requirement for business/property owners to "verbally" express their desire that a gun is not allowed on the premises. In other words, posting a sign may no longer be enough to require patrons be disarmed.

If that were a part of this bill, I'd like to know what y'all would have to say about that specific stipulation. Is it reasonable to require a verbal/vocal pronouncement or do y'all feel a simple display of a sign would be sufficient?

This seems designed to increase the likelihood of confrontation and discourage business owners from establishing their own boundaries. 

A sign should absolutely be sufficient and carriers should be responsible for checking and understanding regulations when they go into businesses. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Go to a gun range
Demonstrate proficiency
Upload proficiency doc
Pay $10

The ONLY reason to get your LTC is the background makes it easier to purchase a new gun.  That's it.  Having been through many classes, and having seen the recent influx of "instructors" trying to pitch you CHL insurance in their classes, it's a complete waste of time.  

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The ONLY reason to get your LTC is the background makes it easier to purchase a new gun.  That's it.  Having been through many classes, and having seen the recent influx of "instructors" trying to pitch you CHL insurance in their classes, it's a complete waste of time.  

Also cops let you out of tickets more frequently if you have a LTC.

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

I used to think that, and at first it was probably true, but it's debatable now with the prevalence of their availability and water down qualifications.  It does tell the officer that you passed a robust background check and that you're not a criminal (at that time) or have any prior issues.

I still roll down all the windows, tell the officer if I am carrying, and make sure my hands are always visible.  I think that engenders more goodwill than anything else.  Especially at night.  

8 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

As someone that has had a CHL for over a decade, and been battling a severe case of lead foot behind the wheel even longer, this is completely a myth. Maybe it was true at one point, but it hasn't been true all over Texas in at least 12 years. 

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I used to think that, and at first it was probably true, but it's debatable now with the prevalence of their availability and water down qualifications.  It does tell the officer that you passed a robust background check and that you're not a criminal (at that time) or have any prior issues.

I still roll down all the windows, tell the officer if I am carrying, and make sure my hands are always visible.  I think that engenders more goodwill than anything else.  Especially at night.  

It does.  Also turn on your dome light at night so they can see in your vehicle easily.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

He would be breaking the law and you should call the police.  But I’d highly recommend not using lethal force on someone for merely carrying against the law but not brandishing their weapon against you.  Unless you like prison.  

"I was in fear of my life, sir.   He entered with a firearm and made furtive movements.  I love Trump.  Back the blue.  All lives matter.  I was in fear of my life." 

There won't even be a grand jury after repeating that horseshit. 

9 minutes ago, Nivek said:

"I was in fear of my life, sir.   He entered with a firearm and made furtive movements.  I love Trump.  Back the blue.  All lives matter.  I was in fear of my life." 

There won't even be a grand jury after repeating that horseshit. 

Try it then and see how well it works out for you.

• Haha 1

Way up thread I think it was deadshank who asked if anyone had drawn their weapon. He gave an example when he thought he needed or was glad he had his pistol. I don’t recall anyone answering. I would be interested to hear of instances where y’all drew your weapon or felt you needed one and the circumstances that surrounded that experience.

12 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Way up thread I think it was deadshank who asked if anyone had drawn their weapon. He gave an example when he thought he needed or was glad he had his pistol. I don’t recall anyone answering. I would be interested to hear of instances where y’all drew your weapon or felt you needed one and the circumstances that surrounded that experience.

I stated a couple of family anecdotes where a firearm could have had an effect for the victim (although I left out my ex-DIL’s case where she was raped, sodomized, and beaten almost to death by an animal who was never caught. She is still suffering from brain damage).

But personally, not lately.
However, I felt pretty helpless watching Charles Whitman on the Tower first hand.

16 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have never needed my seatbelt.  I still wear one.

15 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Do the same for BJJ.  Most guys I know that are higher level will NEVER get into a fight unless it's literally a last resort.  It's not a BDE thing.  It's generally not ego or the need to crush others.  They are humbled daily and have ne need or desire to "prove" anything.  This is of course not universal, but been my experience.

Same hold true for most carriers that spend the time and discipline to hone their craft and take the personal responsibility to humble themselves and get better.  Goes back to the old adage that I subscribe to "that an armed society is a polite society".

To directly answer your question I have never personally had to draw, and I pray I never have to - but as a practitioner of both, I know that when seconds count, the police are minutes away, and I will do everything I can to protect my family to the best of my abilities.  

Nobody knows I carry.  My own family has to ask if I'm carrying or not.  No friends know.  Nobody.  Ever.  That's the point. Now, with it on my person, and with a decent understanding of body control, distance, and leverage, I will avoid even more ANY physical confrontation as grappling with a sidearm is dangerous and I have to take into consideration that the antagonist might be carrying as well.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I stated a couple of family anecdotes where a firearm could have had an effect for the victim (although I left out my ex-DIL’s case where she was raped, sodomized, and beaten almost to death by an animal who was never caught. She is still suffering from brain damage).
But personally, not lately.
However, I felt pretty helpless watching Charles Whitman on the Tower first hand.

Sorry to hear that about your DIL.

Regarding Whitman, you would have been just as helpless with a pistol from the ground as you were without one. But you know that.

Johnny and Baba, why so defensive? I was asking for anecdotes, very simple.
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I will say I have been shot at before.

Many moons ago, I'm on Greenville at some bar I forget the name, next to a pool hall called the "Royal Rack room".  Across the street from the Taco Cabana.  It's close to 2am and I'm outside on the curb waiting on friends.  One of my meathead friends was a bouncer so he got me a side hustle working the door checking IDs.

Bunch of black women run past frantically talking about "that fools crazy, he's goin' kill someone".  2am hits, people start spilling into the street and two black guys start jawing in the street.  One dude pulls a gun.  They keep jawing, then POP, POP, POP, I yell WTF....he looks up, sends one my way, shatters the front window of the pool hall, maybe a yard down from where I'm standing....fully exposed, I haul ass back into the club, but everyone is pouring out, trying to see what the hell happened. 

Wild night.

17 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Pops was a freshman, studying in the law library.  Ironically, the LEO's crappy little .38's did jack squat.  It was the locals with their deer rifles that were able to keep Whitman's head down and buy time for the officers to storm the tower.  

That was the genesis for the modern SWAT team, as I have heard.  

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Throckmorton, Texas 2006ish. Heading to the hunting lease, CCL had just come out. Didn't have one, was unarmed. Three guys fresh out of prison and their cousin were fucking with people on the road between Breckenridge. They were running about 60, so I passed them, it pissed them off. High speed chase all the way to Throckmorton, my 3/4 Dodge was faster than their Aurora. I pulled into the restaurant where my buddies and family always meet, 2-3 of them had CCLs, so I was going to have help, but I had gotten their before any of them.

I see the guys in the Aurora hit the ditch and turn around, I already had boost built, threw it in reverse when they ran up behind me and parked the truck in the middle of their hood, so they had no get away car. Told CHIEF Jr. I loved him very much, but Dad was probably about to die. Anyway, I had a box cutter, and backed myself into the door jam. It was me against 4 guys that probably outweighed me by 20-30 lbs. each. I was able to cut them up so bad between punches that it freaked them out enough they quit pummeling me and ran across the street to the hospital. The only LEO in 60 miles pulled up and absolutely ripped me for not being armed. 

It really hammered home that it is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Johnny and Baba, why do defensive? I was asking for anecdotes, very simple.

Hopefully didn't come across as defensive, trying to give context.  I know you roll, as do I - so painting the same picture I get from others who know I roll and ask "so are you going to start choking everyone out, etc".  "You a tough guy now".  etc.  

The answer is a resounding NO.  I get my ass handed to me each week.  I understand the consequences of violence.  I have no urge to start anything as I have a better understanding of what can actually happen.  Same with pistols.  I understand how deadly they can be.  How tragic the consequences.  That knowledge keeps it holstered and hidden, helpfully for the rest of my life.  But just in case....

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Incorrect. To buy one from an FFL you still have to jump through the federal transfer paperwork and background check.... plus pay the fee.

I'm not talking about buying the weapon.  I'm talking about just carrying a weapon on your person.   As protected by the 4th amendment, law enforcement cannot stop you "just because" to inquire about your citizenship, where you've been/where you're going, etc. if they have no reason to suspect you've committed a crime, or are about to go commit a crime.  You can't pull me over to ask where I bought the car if I haven't done anything wrong with the car yet. 

Does this new open carry law expressly say that police can randomly stop people they see openly carrying so inquire as there where/when they bought the gun and see their FFL and ensure their fees are all paid up?  I honestly don't know, but if they can randomly stop people to grill them about their paperwork and FFL and proof of purchase---that may preserve their 2nd amendment but violates their 4th amendment.  And the 4th protects more people than the 2nd.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Does this new open carry law expressly say that police can randomly stop people they see openly carrying so inquire as there where/when they bought the gun and see their FFL and ensure their fees are all paid up?  I honestly don't know, but if they can randomly stop people to grill them about their paperwork and FFL and proof of purchase---that may preserve their 2nd amendment but violates their 4th amendment.  And the 4th protects more people than the 2nd.  

It does not form what I have seen.  We already see guys brandishing rifles all the time, so that'd be a better sample size to see what happens from.  Many states as well are open carry, so we'd have examples if their were any of this happening.  

27 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Sorry to hear that about your DIL.

Regarding Whitman, you would have been just as helpless with a pistol from the ground as you were without one. But you know that.

Johnny and Baba, why so defensive? I was asking for anecdotes, very simple.

True at that moment, but I was up in the Tower a month before Whitman, so a handgun there might have made a difference. The same could be said if Mr. Gabor had been carrying.

Edited by Armybrat

25 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Pops was a freshman, studying in the law library.  Ironically, the LEO's crappy little .38's did jack squat.  It was the locals with their deer rifles that were able to keep Whitman's head down and buy time for the officers to storm the tower.  

That was the genesis for the modern SWAT team, as I have heard.  

Correct. My brother saw a cop fire his .38 special in frustration at the Tower. Useless effort.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm not talking about buying the weapon.  I'm talking about just carrying a weapon on your person.   As protected by the 4th amendment, law enforcement cannot stop you "just because" to inquire about your citizenship, where you've been/where you're going, etc. if they have no reason to suspect you've committed a crime, or are about to go commit a crime.  You can't pull me over to ask where I bought the car if I haven't done anything wrong with the car yet. 

It affirmatively states that "The mere possession or carrying of a firearm, openly or concealed, with or without a Concealed Handgun License, shall not constitute probable cause for a peace officer to disarm or detain an otherwise law-abiding person."

28 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I will say I have been shot at before.

Many moons ago, I'm on Greenville at some bar I forget the name, next to a pool hall called the "Royal Rack room".  Across the street from the Taco Cabana.  It's close to 2am and I'm outside on the curb waiting on friends.  One of my meathead friends was a bouncer so he got me a side hustle working the door checking IDs.

Bunch of black women run past frantically talking about "that fools crazy, he's goin' kill someone".  2am hits, people start spilling into the street and two black guys start jawing in the street.  One dude pulls a gun.  They keep jawing, then POP, POP, POP, I yell WTF....he looks up, sends one my way, shatters the front window of the pool hall, maybe a yard down from where I'm standing....fully exposed, I haul ass back into the club, but everyone is pouring out, trying to see what the hell happened. 

Wild night.

bought my first weed at the royal rack room from a rasta dude. he put it in a styrofoam cup, so i just casually rolled out of there with a styrofoam cup full of weed. spent every waking minute of the next 15 years stoned out of my gourd.

• Haha 1