Thoughts on the new Texas Constitutional Carry?

Armybrat

49 minutes ago, immamac said:

In Texas if you own a gun you can get a concealed permit, that's why it's a nothing burger. It's $100 bucks and half a saturday and poof you can carry. I realize in other states it is much much more difficult to have permits to even own or carry weapons. In Texas it is not.

$100 and a Saturday off work don't come easy to some.  

34 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Understand, but it's not the difficulty of obtaining the permit that's at issue here, it's the very need to have the government's permission to carry that's the issue.  As an extreme, and very unlikle example, here in Virginia you can open carry without a permit.  If I happen to be open carrying with a shoulder holster, or a rig on my hip on a nice warm spring day while I'm out and about, and a cold front blows in, the temperature drops and I put on a jacket, I am now concealed carrying and technically committing a felony by putting on my jacket.  Is this a likely scenario...no, but as I stated in my last post, the Constitutional Carry law protects those who don't want to open carry, would like to carry concealed, but for whatever reason have chosen not to get licensed.

In Oklahoma, we had concealed only (with permit) for a while. The issue was, for example, you bent down to tie your shoe and your shirt came untucked and your firearm was exposed. At that point, you were no longer concealed and had technically broken the law. Then they added open carry. After that, we had permitless concealed as well. Nothing has changed. I've only seen one guy open carry in the 30+ years I've lived here.

28 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

When can we start passing out guns to the homeless population?

17 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I'm saying they shouldn't be, guns for every freedom loving constitutionalist. 

7 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Which is why there should be gun racks everywhere so a law abiding citizen can rent one like an electric scooter

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

Just everyone participating in this discussion. I like @Michael Knights idea. Guns for everyone. Everyone should just have a gun all the time everywhere. The world is a dangerous place. 

34 minutes ago, Sandman said:

In Oklahoma, we had concealed only (with permit) for a while. The issue was, for example, you bent down to tie your shoe and your shirt came untucked and your firearm was exposed. At that point, you were no longer concealed and had technically broken the law. Then they added open carry. After that, we had permitless concealed as well. Nothing has changed. I've only seen one guy open carry in the 30+ years I've lived here.

image.jpeg.715544a4d53ef20fccdbbb737ea1bf6f.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Yeah, “bad guys” aren’t allowed by law to possess firearms.

On the other hand, some “good guys” shouldn’t be allowed to either. That is recognized everywhere including gun forums. But it is what it is, just like ignorant fools have the right to vote.

As for myself, if & when I get too careless or incompetent, I will not carry any firearm.... and give all my collection except one to the kids & grandkids.

May you always have both wisdom and the ability to follow it. My dad was pretty wise, but dementia eventually stole his ability to drive safely. Taking away his car keys was the most painful act I have performed in my life. On that slippery slope, I am glad we were wrestling over car keys and not a firearm.

44 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Which is why there should be gun racks everywhere so a law abiding citizen can rent one like an electric scooter

I have a better idea. I have some savings. I’m going to buy a bunch of handguns. Then I will give them as gifts to all the qualified people in Austin homeless camps. Everyone should be able to protect themselves, including the poor. 

I suppose it’s more cost effective than buying a lifted truck to signal that you’re bad in bed

This. A few exceptionally limp dick mother fuckers will feel empowered and 95+percent of the population won’t change their behavior at all. The mythical good guy with a gun will still never stop mass shooting events. Same as it ever was.

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I have a better idea. I have some savings. I’m going to buy a bunch of handguns. Then I will give them as gifts to all the qualified people in Austin homeless camps. Everyone should be able to protect themselves, including the poor. 

Just report that they're stolen though, or scratch off the serial number first. Don't want to go to jail if they're ever used.

29 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Careful there.  Buying guns with the intention of giving them to strangers might be seen as a felony.  And as mentioned above, if one ends up being used in a crime, you might find yourself culpable.

40 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

May you always have both wisdom and the ability to follow it. My dad was pretty wise, but dementia eventually stole his ability to drive safely. Taking away his car keys was the most painful act I have performed in my life. On that slippery slope, I am glad we were wrestling over car keys and not a firearm.

I’m a lover, not a rassler. I don’t like driving much these days and won’t have a problem giving it up. Ubering will be our thing.

As for the firearms, they’ll all go to good homes, except the one I’ll save to check out with if necessary. Even as high as ammo is nowadays, it is still cheaper than hospice.

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Careful there.  Buying guns with the intention of giving them to strangers might be seen as a felony.  And as mentioned above, if one ends up being used in a crime, you might find yourself culpable.

A homeless person already left one on my son’s back doorstep after she apparently was scared off before trying to break in...
Cops gave it back to her several days later. Lol

A2372E51-225F-4B47-9922-136B4E6AF2E0.jpeg

2C4477EA-6FB1-43AA-9DB4-37E73860C987.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Parliament said:

It’s not a straw purchase if the person is otherwise qualified 

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It’s not a straw purchase if the person is otherwise qualified 

It is a straw purchase if someone supplies you with the money to buy the gun for them from an FFL.

It is not a straw purchase if you buy a gun with your own money at an FFL and gift it to an eligible person.

If you knowingly give or sell a gun to an ineligible person you have committed a federal crime.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

This. A few exceptionally limp dick mother fuckers will feel empowered and 95+percent of the population won’t change their behavior at all. The mythical good guy with a gun will still never stop mass shooting events. Same as it ever was.

This is objectively untrue.  I'm sure I could find several more examples if I wanted to spend another 5 minutes searching, but something tells me that facts and evidence wouldn't matter:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/08/in-missouri-a-good-guy-with-a-gun-stepped-up-so-can-you/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50952443

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/stephen-willeford-sutherland-springs-mass-murder/

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

This is objectively untrue.  I'm sure I could find several more examples if I wanted to spend another 5 minutes searching, but something tells me that facts and evidence wouldn't matter:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/08/in-missouri-a-good-guy-with-a-gun-stepped-up-so-can-you/

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/stephen-willeford-sutherland-springs-mass-murder/

I already stated that CC has little or nothing to do with mass shootings. 
But every mass shooting I’m aware of (starting with Charles Whitman) has been stopped by “good guys (or ladies) with a gun” arriving on the scene to eliminate or arrest the shooter if he hasn’t offed himself yet.

14 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I already stated that CC has little or nothing to do with mass shootings. 
But every mass shooting I’m aware of (starting with Charles Whitman) has been stopped by “good guys (or ladies) with a gun” arriving on the scene to eliminate or arrest the shooter if he hasn’t offed himself yet.

To be fair, alot of times the cops arrive on scene to stop it.

The barrier preventing legal carry was a low bar already.  I don’t think this will have a significant statistical difference on the number of people who carry vs. those that don’t.

IMO, if you wanted to carry you were already licensed.  If not, you didn’t feel the need or didn’t like the perceived inconvenience.

I think it’s much more of a political trophy rather than a bill that will actually change much behavior. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Is it being called “Constitutional” carry so the people against it get called out? It’s permitless carry. Just say you want to carry without regulation or licensing and stop hiding behind the constitution. 

No. It’s saying the the only license required is the US constitution. It grants the permission. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hey, I’m not above eating it when called out. Tip of the cap to these individuals. They unquestionably saved lives.

Now, to be fair, the first story notes the guy was part of a dedicated security outfit and the second notes the potential attacker decided to strap up, walk in to Walmart, and start filming instead of shooting. He could’ve killed many.

I’ll eat my words and concede “never” was unwarranted hyperbole. Good Guys With Guns ™ is not a particularly effective public safety strategy though, and frankly putting that burden on untrained civilians is an abdication of responsibility by society.

I’ll also reiterate that my main point is that the entire constitutional carry thing is political theater. It was already very easy to carry legally in Texas. This will not change the behavior of a significant number of people. It’s all about keeping the culture war front and center so that people aren’t focused on the utter lack of anything useful coming out of the legislature.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

The barrier preventing legal carry was a low bar already.  I don’t think this will have a significant statistical difference on the number of people who carry vs. those that don’t.

IMO, if you wanted to carry you were already licensed.  If not, you didn’t feel the need or didn’t like the perceived inconvenience.

I think it’s much more of a political trophy rather than a bill that will actually change much behavior. 

Probably pretty close to the truth, but it will prevent the criminalization of eligible Texas citizens who wish to carry without government “permission”.  It won’t mean anything to the criminals. 
A lot of handwringing over nothing, just like there was with the CHL bill in 1993 and the campus carry bill in 2015.

At least with the latter we got to see who was packing big dicks at the protests. Forbidden Fruit must have done a brisk business for that one. Lulz.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Hey, I’m not above eating it when called out. Tip of the cap to these individuals. They unquestionably saved lives.

Now, to be fair, the first story notes the guy was part of a dedicated security outfit and the second notes the potential attacker decided to strap up, walk in to Walmart, and start filming instead of shooting. He could’ve killed many.

I’ll eat my words and concede “never” was unwarranted hyperbole. Good Guys With Guns is not a particularly effective public safety strategy though, and frankly putting that burden on untrained civilians is an abdication of responsibility by society.

I’ll also reiterate that my main point is that the entire constitutional carry thing is political theater. It was already very easy to carry legally in Texas. This will not change the behavior of a significant number of people. It’s all about keeping the culture war front and center so that people aren’t focused on the utter lack of anything useful coming out of the legislature.

Can't disagree with anything you said here, but I would say one thing;  Don't assume unlicensed carriers are automatically untrained carriers.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, gmr548 said:

The "reimagining" of reality here is quite impressive.

Coca Cola and Jeep have a corner office waiting for you my friend.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cajun said:

The "reimagining" of reality here is quite impressive.

Coca Cola and Jeep have a corner office waiting for you my friend.

I mean a guy in Arkansas who just saved a whole bunch of people's lives. But he must be a limp dick apparently. Or like the guy in the Texas CoC who domed a fool. All a bunch of suckers.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/witnesses-man-killed-arkansas-woman-lured-neighbors-77723722

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

I mean a guy in Arkansas who just saved a whole bunch of people's lives. But he must be a limp dick apparently. Or like the guy in the Texas CoC who domed a fool. All a bunch of suckers.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/witnesses-man-killed-arkansas-woman-lured-neighbors-77723722

Good for him.  I’m sure that’s helpful to you and your wayward fliflops ther in crazy Oregon.  But keep on telling other states what works. 🤪

• Like 1

so can a cop stop anyone they see with a gun, ask for their ID and check for felonies?

why is there not 'constitutional right to assembly 24/7' law passed by all the states?  don't you have to file a permit for some protests/assemblies?  how do curfew laws set by cities supersede the right to assembly set in the constitution?  does the pres wanting to hold a Bible for a photo op suddenly take away the right to assemble?  

The 4th amdt is a joke for POC and many other Americans.  fucking rubber stamped no-knock warrants then cops going in guns blazing.  politicians wiretapping anyone they damn well please.

People act like the 2nd amdt is the only one that is truly sacred and there should be zero limits on anyone owning a howitzer or wanting to suit up like Arnold in Commando (After they robbed the gun shop) to go get frozen yogurt.  

Anyway as others have said, I don't think it's going increase the amount of guns that are carried.  maybe a few more broke-ass gravy seals can keep their dicks hard while getting a liter of cola at the Dimpus Burger.  There was an already simple, cheap way to carry and now it's even easier i guess.  kudos to the leg for rectifying the overwhelming #1 massive injustice against the people of Texas.  

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Most of 'em would just trade it over for a baggie of K2.

But just in case, don't forget the ammo.

They'll cull their own herd settling stolen bicycle scores.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Good for him.  I’m sure that’s helpful to you and your wayward fliflops ther in crazy Oregon.  But keep on telling other states what works. 🤪

My nude barista friend is very offended by your tone!

15 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

The 4th amdt is a joke for POC and many other Americans.  fucking rubber stamped no-knock warrants then cops going in guns blazing.  politicians wiretapping anyone they damn well please.

People act like the 2nd amdt is the only one that is truly sacred and there should be zero limits on anyone owning a howitzer or wanting to suit up like Arnold in Commando (After they robbed the gun shop) to go get frozen yogurt.  

The second part is what keeps some of the first part in check, my friend.

I’ll eat my words and concede “never” was unwarranted hyperbole. Good Guys With Guns ™ is not a particularly effective public safety strategy though, and frankly putting that burden on untrained civilians is an abdication of responsibility by society.

The last para is the entire story.

And I don’t plan on carrying because I have a functioning dick, so I don’t need to carry a proxy.

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Seeing how Oregon wants to split from itself in two different ways, it's pretty crazy. I would hope that CC can happen here, but it's not too bad on gun laws here as it is.

10 hours ago, Sandman said:

I've only seen one guy open carry in the 30+ years I've lived here.

I fucking jinxed myself. Went out with the wife tonight, saw a guy open carrying as he stood in line to get into a shoe store. He looked to be around 30, dressed like a dork. What a douche.

• Like 1