Thoughts on the new Texas Constitutional Carry?

Armybrat

With the understanding that we don't know entirely what's going to end up in this bill, there has been talk about a requirement for business/property owners to "verbally" express their desire that a gun is not allowed on the premises. In other words, posting a sign may no longer be enough to require patrons be disarmed.

If that were a part of this bill, I'd like to know what y'all would have to say about that specific stipulation. Is it reasonable to require a verbal/vocal pronouncement or do y'all feel a simple display of a sign would be sufficient?

Sign should be sufficient. Verbal notice is just pressing a confrontation imo. 

Which is why the supporters of constitutional carry want it. Because it’s all about the show, and asserting their “dominance.” See any one of 100,000 videos of anti-mask people berating the clerk at the Shop-rite for telling them to please wear a mask for an example of this phenomenon.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Which is why the supporters of constitutional carry want it. Because it’s all about the show, and asserting their “dominance.” See any one of 100,000 videos of anti-mask people berating the clerk at the Shop-rite for telling them to please wear a mask for an example of this phenomenon.

I see no problem with people carrying open or otherwise. I don’t do it unless I am on the lease and the only times I have seen open carrying by anyone other than LE is in rural areas. But no need to create drama. 

I see no problem with people carrying open or otherwise. I don’t do it unless I am on the lease and the only times I have seen open carrying by anyone other than LE is in rural areas. But no need to create drama. 

No need to create drama?

That’s the entire reason why a shitload of open carry types do it. See the Chipotle Rambos.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No need to create drama?

That’s the entire reason why a shitload of open carry types do it. See the Chipotle Rambos.

Never seen any of them in the wild. You? I know it’s an internet meme but like I said, in the real world I have only seen a few people in rural areas open carry. 

Verbal notice requirements are dumb. This is mostly all theatre. 

Never seen any of them in the wild. You? I know it’s an internet meme but like I said, in the real world I have only seen a few people in rural areas open carry. 

I work a few blocks from the Capitol. I’ve seen plenty of these clowns. Stump-dicks, every last one of em.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I work a few blocks from the Capitol. I’ve seen plenty of these clowns. Stump-dicks, every last one of em.

So you’ve seen a few organized protests, but that doesn’t really speak to seeing them in the wild on your random McDonald’s burrito drop in. 

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Outside of Covid, the furthest I've worked from the Capitol in more than a decade was five blocks. I've seen the open carry protestors march up and down Congress Ave. with their AR's at a "low ready" position on lunch breaks. Gotta say...that does put one on alert.

But, in reality, I'm not certain this law changes much other than the potential verbal requirements. That one bothers me for the same reason it seems to bug you Anastasis. I mentioned it yesterday in the other thread, but you're absolutely correct. I can only imagine the resultant theater developing into some irrationally angry Karen/Kevin type having to be confronted by an employee/business owner to tell them their gun(s) aren't allowed on the premises.

That particular stipulation (if true) would call into question whether the passage of this bill was really meant to promote public safety. If it's left out, then you want hear a lot of bitching from me. Otherwise, I can only assume that its inclusion is meant as a clear "fuck you" to any and everyone who might be remotely opposed, including those who would prefer not to have guns carried/displayed on their own private property. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bolverk said:

With the understanding that we don't know entirely what's going to end up in this bill, there has been talk about a requirement for business/property owners to "verbally" express their desire that a gun is not allowed on the premises. In other words, posting a sign may no longer be enough to require patrons be disarmed.

If that were a part of this bill, I'd like to know what y'all would have to say about that specific stipulation. Is it reasonable to require a verbal/vocal pronouncement or do y'all feel a simple display of a sign would be sufficient?

My guess is the bad guy coming to rob/shoot up the place isn't gonna care about signs or verbal warnings.

Just a hunch.

7 hours ago, Anastasis said:

So you’ve seen a few organized protests, but that doesn’t really speak to seeing them in the wild on your random McDonald’s burrito drop in. 

That burrito is a lot more dangerous to you than any firearm, I can assure you.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've seen two since I moved back to SA a little over a year ago.  Two.

Both were black males in sketchy areas of town.

I was glad they were there.

Edited by Cajun
Didn't check dick sizes. Sorry

I've seen people open carry in Texas.  Brisket is generally correct in his observation.  I also see people occasionally walk into stores with the clanging of spurs on their boots.  It makes sense, what with us being in the heart of cattle country.  The spurs are tools of the trade and the sound of industry in the area.  The firearms never strike me in the same vein of thought or context.  They are strictly for show, IMHO.

On a tangent, I generally assume that a shit-ton of folks are CCH'ing at any given time in Texas.  I'm cool with that.

9 minutes ago, Cajun said:

You should wear this as a sandwich billboard in Chicago.

Amirite?

Or one of the 20 some-odd places that now fall in front of Chicago on the list of most murdery places in America. "But Chicago" can't even be used anymore, we've gone and ruined that.

12 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Or one of the 20 some-odd places that now fall in front of Chicago on the list of most murdery places in America. "But Chicago" can't even be used anymore, we've gone and ruined that.

St Louis, Baltimore, and New Orleans...LOLz.  In 2020, Baltimore had 335 murders, St Louis 262,  and Chicago had 769 homicides, so I hope you are cool with me not necessarily embracing the 'per capita' slant.

I actually like Baltimore, and have been there 3 times, but damn.

Edited by slorch

The verbal warning is just a reach for a conservative stare govt wanting to tell private business what they can and can’t do. Anti free enterprise. NRA approved.

gun nuts hate the dilemma they face when a business posts signs telling them that guns are not allowed. The unseen, proposed bill sounds like it will require the business to hire someone to tell each customer walking in the door that guns are not allowed, or require them to confront open carrying customers. Let’s put a large burden on the private business if the majority of their customers do not want anyone carrying a gun there.

im sure the verbal warning will be sold in that otherwise law abiding citizens might miss the sign and walk in with a gun. But that is bs. Anyone that walks around with a gun has their eyes open for the inevitable sign they will encounter.

20 minutes ago, slorch said:

St Louis, Baltimore, and New Orleans...LOLz.  In 2020, Baltimore had 335 murders, St Louis 262,  and Chicago had 769 homicides, so I hope you are cool with me not necessarily embracing the 'per capita' slant.

I actually like Baltimore, and have been there 3 times, but damn.

I wonder how much of that goes away with legalization/decriminalization/regulation of hard drugs. Hamsterdam is a better solution than what they do currently.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Baltimore’s murder problem is a long line of bad policies ultimately leading to the police dept not knowing how to police, or even wanting to police. The citizens grew to distrust the police starting in the 90s. They used to close murder cases by greater than 80%.   Now they’re under 30% and convictions even lower. Murder is almost consequence-free there. 

some gun owners would argue that the reasonable response to living in Baltimore would be to be armed 24/7. No, the reasonable response to is leave a city that has that much of a violence problem.

51 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

New Orleans East.  Do it there my man.  

Oakland.

St Louis.  Houston 4th Ward.  San Antonio around SW Military Drive.  Laredo.  McCallen. Monroe, LA.  Jackson, MS.  Little Rock.  Detroit.  LA.

Shall I go on?  Take your pick.  Wear your placard anywhere you please.  Show your conviction.  And your "argument" only points toward a need for people to be able to protect themselves from those who don't give two shits about laws.

Edited by Cajun

6 minutes ago, Cajun said:

New Orleans East.  Do it there my man.  

Oakland.

St Louis.  Houston 4th Ward.  San Antonio around SW Military Drive.  Laredo.  McCallen. Monroe, LA.  Jackson, MS.  

Shall I go on?  Take your pick.  Wear your placard anywhere you please.  Show your conviction.  And your "argument" only points toward a need for people to be able to protect themselves from those who don't give two shits about laws.

Thanks for playing.

I just think people who carry around guns they'll never use are compensating for something. That's all. Carry on.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Of course you do.

I mean, why else would you get all defensive about it? We know you don't give a fuck about Chicago or any of those other places you mentioned. You could simply use common sense and avoid those areas like i said. Like why are none of the people defending the honor of guns on the internet ever from those areas? Kinda weird isn't it?

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, bolverk said:

A simple GTFO should suffice

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

gun nuts hate the dilemma they face when a business posts signs telling them that guns are not allowed. The unseen, proposed bill sounds like it will require the business to hire someone to tell each customer walking in the door that guns are not allowed, or require them to confront open carrying customers. Let’s put a large burden on the private business if the majority of their customers do not want anyone carrying a gun there.

On 5/21/2021 at 6:10 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Maybe it’s time to up their pay rate and raise their prices for their customers.

You’re a nice guy and what not, Eddie, but you can’t seem to make up your mind as you posted this in the 6th Street journal.  So is it an undue burden on employers or should employers jock up, pay more to employees and raise prices to the customers?

49 minutes ago, deadshank said:

You’re a nice guy and what not, Eddie, but you can’t seem to make up your mind as you posted this in the 6th Street journal.  So is it an undue burden on employers or should employers jock up, pay more to employees and raise prices to the customers?

One example is the govt placing burdens on businesses, the other is the free market. Not the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

One example is the govt placing burdens on businesses, the other is the free market. Not the same.

Point taken; however, on the other thread the government is paying UEI benefits which directly affects the employers’ ability to hire for open positions.  The government is directly competing with employers.  Your proposed solution was for employers to pay more and pass the increase on to the consumer.  

No matter the source, an undue burden is just that.  As burdens mount on businesses, and especially small businesses like mine, being less competitive becomes a reality.   The likelihood of lower profits and demise increase. Profit seems to be a dirty word for many but if there is none then the venture is not worth it. 

Hey, I get it.   It would be great to hire whom you want and pay a great rate.  But in reality it just doesn’t happen like that for small business.  

• Like 1

Point taken; however, on the other thread the government is paying UEI benefits which directly affects the employers’ ability to hire for open positions.  The government is directly competing with employers.  Your proposed solution was for employers to pay more and pass the increase on to the consumer.  

No matter the source, an undue burden is just that.  As burdens mount on businesses, and especially small businesses like mine, being less competitive becomes a reality.   The likelihood of lower profits and demise increase. Profit seems to be a dirty word for many but if there is none then the venture is not worth it. 
Hey, I get it.   It would be great to hire whom you want and pay a great rate.  But in reality it just doesn’t happen like that for small business.  

When you think of employees strictly as a cost center, that’s how they’ll function. When you think of employees as a mechanism to enhance and increase your business, that’s how they’ll function.

Yes, every expense is a red item, not a black item. But you have to spend money to make money. Do it in the most effective way.

Making a business hire someone to say out loud “dude, no guns allowed” will not enhance or increase your business. It’s asinine. Like this bill and this issue.

4 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Was he compensating for his small dick here, Pam? 

He was asked to carry here and his job was specifically to protect the congregation. He was also a former LEO who had extensive training for years. 

So no, if you do all that you probably have a normal to hog sized cock. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When you think of employees strictly as a cost center, that’s how they’ll function. When you think of employees as a mechanism to enhance and increase your business, that’s how they’ll function.

Yes, every expense is a red item, not a black item. But you have to spend money to make money. Do it in the most effective way.

Making a business hire someone to say out loud “dude, no guns allowed” will not enhance or increase your business. It’s asinine. Like this bill and this issue.

I’ve owned an operated businesses for 30 years now.  I’ve had a few, core employees with me for that long.  I know how to treat employees as evidenced by their tenure.  You don’t need to explain it to me. 

Thanks for the input.  😂

12 hours ago, bolverk said:

The way it works here is, you can carry into a business, even if they have a sign in the window. If they see that you're carrying (concealed or open) and demand that you leave, you have to do so immediately. 

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

He was asked to carry here and his job was specifically to protect the congregation. He was also a former LEO who had extensive training for years. 

So no, if you do all that you probably have a normal to hog sized cock. 

So one guy had your approved cock size because he was asked to carry; however, the other congregants with firearms where Vienna sausage types not in the approved list?  

5 minutes ago, deadshank said:

So one guy had your approved cock size because he was asked to carry; however, the other congregants with firearms where Vienna sausage types not in the approved list?  

Not really, just a stupid example by workswithseed that I was pointing out and using the small dick joke which is a reference to a person's security and self confidence. Thanks for ruining the joke though. 

• Haha 1

I saw an older gentleman a few years ago at the checkout line of Walmart with a nice leather shoulder holster carrying a beautiful chrome revolver with ivory(or whatever) handles. But 6 shots, shoulder holster, and what looked like an 8” barrel didn’t exactly scream defensive weapon as much as it screamed look at me. 

It's about attention.

https://austin.eater.com/2017/9/18/16329152/baguette-et-chocolat-open-carry-gun-law

"Farago wrote about the experience, which led to a flood of negative one-star Facebook and Yelp reviews on Baguette’s pages from gun rights activists. One Yelper wrote that “the owners feel the need to try and restrict our rights and liberty as Americans,” and someone on Facebook commented, “I'm sure their food is excellent but their stance on guns is dangerous. No thanks.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I’ve owned an operated businesses for 30 years now.  I’ve had a few, core employees with me for that long.  I know how to treat employees as evidenced by their tenure.  You don’t need to explain it to me. 

Thanks for the input.  😂

Question. If you have a few core employees that are paid and treated well, I’m assuming you pay them more than $300/week? 

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I saw an older gentleman a few years ago at the checkout line of Walmart with a nice leather shoulder holster carrying a beautiful chrome revolver with ivory(or whatever) handles. But 6 shots, shoulder holster, and what looked like an 8” barrel didn’t exactly scream defensive weapon as much as it screamed look at me. 

Some like to show off their BBQ guns.
Mine isn’t for totin’ around though.

EABDF18A-3867-420F-882D-3469768EE7AB.jpeg

C9BE4386-DA47-43CC-B11F-6E8B26DA9605.jpeg

Just now, Neonmoon said:

Question. If you have a few core employees that are paid and treated well, I’m assuming you pay them more than $300/week? 

Dude.  Really?  We’ve been over this in the other thread.  The “30 year” detail was in reference to Brisket’s tutorial on how to run a business.   

We have discussed this on the other thread in the 6th Street forum.  I have beginner $18/hour guys up to +$100K guys.  In the other thread we have discussed prospective hires that would rather sit on the sidelines and collect UE benefits rather than make a go at demanding, hands-on, potentially highly-skilled, full time employment 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

Not really, just a stupid example by workswithseed that I was pointing out and using the small dick joke which is a reference to a person's security and self confidence. Thanks for ruining the joke though. 

The joke is dumb already, and over used already. It's in Death Wish. 

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

Small dick jokes are the small dick joke of dick jokes.  Kind of a last resort of those that just want to hurl an insult and feel better about their own small dicks.  

Or something like that.  

Anyway they’re pretty trite and dumb.  

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

Small dick jokes are the small dick joke of dick jokes.  Kind of a last resort of those that just want to hurl an insult and feel better about their own small dicks.  

Or something like that.  

Anyway they’re pretty trite and dumb.  

I didn't make the joke. Holy shit you guys are butthurt losers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3