EPL 2021-22

maninblack

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

is Emery on board with a season in the Championship next year?

10 matches done and dusted with 4 points - he would be starting in a deep hole.

Well... he's probably going to have a blank checkbook. Although they really need to get out of relegation to attract top players. Getting your coach to buy in is one thing - getting top talent to buy in to going to the championship with no guarantee of getting out is a bit trickier. 

Well... he's probably going to have a blank checkbook. Although they really need to get out of relegation to attract top players. Getting your coach to buy in is one thing - getting top talent to buy in to going to the championship with no guarantee of getting out is a bit trickier. 
Will Newcastle be exempted from FFP like City?

The end of the Brighton-Newcastle game was entertaining. After Brighton’s last sub their keeper fouled a clean Newcastle break on goal * drawing a red card. Defender Lewis Dunk took the keepers spot. And the end of the game was wide open. 

* A. I’m not sure how the ref missed it in real time and it had to go to VAR.

B. it was also a clear demonstration of how a slight touch can cause a player to go down/trip on their own feet. 

Edited by Captain Ron

35 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

A really harsh red for Everton at the start of injury time. A follow through that put his studs on the Hojbjerg's leg. 

What made is really bad of a call was the fact that Hojbjerg wasn't close to getting the ball.

Considering Everton got screwed on the VAR pen overturned, it makes it worse. 

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Arsenal have a legit shot of finishing top 4. 

Yep. 4th spot seems completely wide open. And City has been dropping points all over the place so far. 

I guess Pool is in 4th now though. 

Edited by ztejas

4 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Arsenal have a legit shot of finishing top 4. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Yep. 4th spot seems completely wide open. And City has been dropping points all over the place so far. 

I guess Pool is in 4th now though. 

Yep. There’s probably seven or eight clubs with a legit shot at 4th, and any of the remaining top 10 feel they could finish 5th. It’s going to be a really interesting season. But that’s why we all love the footy.

Edited by Dutch

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Yeah, well, unless we lose Kate for CL coverage I'm cool with it. Like md said the mouse should facilitate the coverage a bit better - and I'd assume they'd put some marquee games on the network.

No, they will facilitate more ESPN+, it might be better than Peacock, but still crap.

The fall season aligns with college, which means ESPN is out of the question for most Saturdays. They won't take Berman off TV for anything, so that means maybe 1 game on Sunday. I think spring gets better, but now much better, I'm not sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The fall season aligns with college

I get that. But the games aren't at the same time. They aren't pushing college GameDay off air but for earlier games on Sat. and Sun. I think they could put some on ESPN2. EPL also starts before college football and ends later. Saturday mornings in February and March? Both channels are wide open. 

Sure they might not but they could and it seems to me like they'd at least try. 

Color me skeptical.

ESPN has already shown they will lift their skirt for the NFL if they ask, forget money, if they ask. They also have demonstrated that college is the king of Saturdays, so when I look at ESPN/ESPN2's fall schedules and see this:

ESPN Saturday

image.png.eba93263534fd80e2d545d4c4cc55542.png

ESPN Sunday

image.png.628818459c964d1a0cfa09a0034d0ff0.png

With F1 throw in at 8:30

and

ESPN2 Saturday

image.png.58abe1591e37d72de931f54578b34e2f.png

ESPN2 Sunday

image.png.f7e345e9efa9d4b03b1ea0f6d07fdec4.png

I don't hold hope that we are going to see a lot of fall weekend EPL games on TV. Sure maybe ABC, but I don't know.

And look, with NBC dumping NBC Sports Network, I am not sure they are much better, but I also know they produce a hell of a production. If they keep a lot of that on USA Network, I could be happy enough.

I'll just add though, if this comes to pass, then I hope you're right and I'm wrong. But I won't be holding my breath.

Edited by Captain Ron

It's all going to ESPN+. It won't be on ESPN regular outside of occasional big matches. No different than La Liga or Bundesliga. I can't think of any La Liga that's been on regular ESPN outside of maybe El Clasico. Maybe ABC will carry a match in non-CFB times or early season like they've done with Bayern Munich. 

Edited by mdmost