EPL 2021-22

maninblack

They both have 9 games left. The breakdown is

Burnley - 3 against top of the standings, 6 against the bottom

Everton - 7 against the top, 2 against the bottom

What really kills Everton is that the bulk of the top of the standings teams have a lot to play for:

ManU - Top 4
Liverpool - Title
Chelsea - Top 4
Arsenal - Top 4 (on the last day no less)

They are going to really need Burnley to go on a slide.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

What really kills Everton is that the bulk of the top of the standings teams have a lot to play for:

ManU - Top 4
Liverpool - Title
Chelsea - Top 4

From a historical perspective, since 1888 Everton have only spent 4 seasons not in the 1st division (Last in 1954), Liverpool have spent 12 (Last in 1962), and ManU 24 (Last in 1975). No one has been in the top flight more than Everton (118 seasons).

As a Cubs fan I sort of feel bad for the modern day Everton fan. 

So what you're telling me is that this team is historically bad?

And as a sports fan, I feel bad for sports that Cubs fans exist.

But seriously, I don't understand this team at all. This team doesn't feel that much different from last year's team, which finished 10th, yet here we are talking about them potentially being relegated.

33 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

So what you're telling me is that this team is historically bad?

And as a sports fan, I feel bad for sports that Cubs fans exist.

But seriously, I don't understand this team at all. This team doesn't feel that much different from last year's team, which finished 10th, yet here we are talking about them potentially being relegated.

The club's hierarchy is an absolute mess, similar to Man Utd. Both teams are ill-assembled, with talented players on paper who do not work well as a team.

Benitez was never going to be a good fit for them – he was getting death threats before he signed. As soon as they hit a rough patch, whatever goodwill he had from fans evaporated. Didn't help that they dealt with a ton of injuries and he inherited a mish-mash squad of players brought in by like five different managers.

The Lampard hire was also a huge mistake imo. He doesn't have a great track record and has never been involved in a relegation scrap as a player or manager. They honestly should've brought Big Sam back so at least they wouldn't get relegated.  

• Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

ManU - Top 4
Liverpool - Title
Chelsea - Top 4

https://footylabs.com/premierleague-fantasy/schedule-difficulty.html

Burnley with 2nd easiest schedule

Everton with 11th easiest

• Hook 'Em 1

and just how safe is Newcastle on 31 points?

• 08 Wolves (h)
  • 10 Leicester (h)
  • 09 Palace (h)
  • 20 Norwich (a)
  • 02 Liverpool (h)
  • 01 City (a)
  • 05 Arsenal (h)
  • 18 Burnley (a)

they have the benefit of those three Top 10 fixtures at home. Probably could get a couple of points from that.

If that is all they get (a couple of points) and then lose to Norwich away, that Burnley match away on the last day might actually mean something.

I feel like 35 points will get you 17th place this year.

Edited by yoladu

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

This team doesn't feel that much different from last year's team, which finished 10th, yet here we are talking about them potentially being relegated.

They did have an world class manager last year in Ancelotti; Lamps and Benítez (at least in the blue half of Merseyside) aren't that calibre. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, shnsajax said:

From a historical perspective, since 1888 Everton have only spent 4 seasons not in the 1st division (Last in 1954), Liverpool have spent 12 (Last in 1962), and ManU 24 (Last in 1975). No one has been in the top flight more than Everton (118 seasons).

As a Cubs fan I sort of feel bad for the modern day Everton fan. 

longest streak i believe.  but i was 5 the last time they won the league so meh.

10 hours ago, maninblack said:

you haven't heard?  i'm a city or chelsea or arsenal fan now.

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

two words: carlo ancelotti.  this team is a fucking disaster now.  d-cl has been hurt, richarlison has no midfield support...everything is just a god damned trainwreck.

1 hour ago, 406W30th said:

The club's hierarchy is an absolute mess, similar to Man Utd. Both teams are ill-assembled, with talented players on paper who do not work well as a team.

Benitez was never going to be a good fit for them – he was getting death threats before he signed. As soon as they hit a rough patch, whatever goodwill he had from fans evaporated. Didn't help that they dealt with a ton of injuries and he inherited a mish-mash squad of players brought in by like five different managers.

The Lampard hire was also a huge mistake imo. He doesn't have a great track record and has never been involved in a relegation scrap as a player or manager. They honestly should've brought Big Sam back so at least they wouldn't get relegated.  

nailed it.  i was a bit more optimistic about the lampard hire when it happened but holy shit, what a disaster.

22 minutes ago, Dutch said:

They did have an world class manager last year in Ancelotti; Lamps and Benítez (at least in the blue half of Merseyside) aren't that calibre. 

exactly.

the one thing i will say about the remaining schedule though...for whatever bizarro reason...over this year and last year, everton has actually played much better against top 8 teams than they have against bottom 8 teams.  it is ultra bizarre.  but it doesn't look good.  i think relegation is the more likely result than not at this point.

Edited by sidis

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

longest streak i believe.  but i was 5 the last time they won the league so meh.

Everton has the most seasons in the top league (118). Arsenal has the current longest streak, though Everton is #2 on the list

Arsenal (since 1919)
Everton (since 1954)
Liverpool (since 1962)
Manchester United (since 1975)
Tottenham (since 1978)
Chelsea (since 1989)

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

two words: carlo ancelotti.  this team is a fucking disaster now.  d-cl has been hurt, richarlison has no midfield support...everything is just a god damned trainwreck.

nailed it.  i was a bit more optimistic about the lampard hire when it happened but holy shit, what a disaster.

Fair enough. That at least answers that age old question of the importance of a manager. Not watching them up close it's really hard to know how that dynamic works.

5 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Everton has the most seasons in the top league (118). Arsenal has the current longest streak, though Everton is #2 on the list

Arsenal (since 1919)
Everton (since 1954)
Liverpool (since 1962)
Manchester United (since 1975)
Tottenham (since 1978)
Chelsea (since 1989)

Fair enough. That at least answers that age old question of the importance of a manager. Not watching them up close it's really hard to know how that dynamic works.

BTW, I was slightly off, it's 119 seasons (this being the 119th)

And the rest of the top 5:

Aston Villa 108
Liverpool 107
Arsenal 105
ManU 97

12 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

BTW, I was slightly off, it's 119 seasons (this being the 119th)

And the rest of the top 5:

Aston Villa 108
Liverpool 107
Arsenal 105
ManU 97

yeah, that's what i was thinking...most years up, not most consecutive. 

On 4/7/2022 at 11:26 AM, yoladu said:

and just how safe is Newcastle on 31 points?

• 08 Wolves (h)
  • 10 Leicester (h)
  • 09 Palace (h)
  • 20 Norwich (a)
  • 02 Liverpool (h)
  • 01 City (a)
  • 05 Arsenal (h)
  • 18 Burnley (a)

they have the benefit of those three Top 10 fixtures at home. Probably could get a couple of points from that.

If that is all they get (a couple of points) and then lose to Norwich away, that Burnley match away on the last day might actually mean something.

I feel like 35 points will get you 17th place this year.

With today's win they should give themselves some solid breathing room. And given their form, they should get some more points.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Big win for Everton. They just might survive. 

Insert mr wolf sucking each other’s dicks  gif.  But this is exactly in line with what I was saying here. 

On 4/7/2022 at 11:01 AM, sidis said:

the one thing i will say about the remaining schedule though...for whatever bizarro reason...over this year and last year, everton has actually played much better against top 8 teams than they have against bottom 8 teams.  it is ultra bizarre. 

In their defenses, in the first half when the game was in the balance Lloris made some big saves. Make no mistake, I think chances were missed (looking at your Ings), but that was only part of the story.

That said, they did miss some chances (almost 2:1 on xG and lose 0-4).