EPL 2021-22

maninblack

Just now, Jive Turkey said:

End of the season.  I don’t see them doing it mid season. Partly because, who do they get next?  Is there a decent replacement available?

I’ve never understood that justification. I’m not saying there’s some great replacement but that doesn’t mean you should just keep failing instead of trying something else. I don’t really know how he still had the job coming into this season. 

20 hours ago, 406W30th said:

FWIW, I'm in favor of more lenient offside calls (and in this case, it probably doesn't make a difference in the result) but that's offside. 

image.thumb.png.381f8958da79d178981ff7bcfc460e23.png

Did you know that most people were fooled because he was stockier, but Muggsy Bogues was actually as tall as Manute Bol?

image.thumb.png.9b859b0e316add0a216832bd190c272c.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

What did they expect though? One of the commentators nailed it. The pbp guy asked "how do you think Arsenal fans are feeling leaving this one?" and he responds, "probably the same as they did before the match."

Edited by ztejas

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What did they expect though? One of the commentators nailed it. The pbp guy asked "how do you think Arsenal fans are feeling leaving this one?" and he responds, "probably the same as they did before the match."

Yeah, the problem isn't losing to Chelsea, they are a top team right now and in the hunt to dethrone City.

The problem was the Brentford loss. That isn't a game anyone expected Arsenal to drop, much less 0-2. If they win that game as expected, then this Chelsea loss doesn't have the sting it currently has.

Now they are staring down an 0-0-3 start. So I fully expect them to beat City on the road next week.

23 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

End of the season.  I don’t see them doing it mid season. Partly because, who do they get next?  Is there a decent replacement available?

yep. KSE just spent a bunch of money for the very first time, and all of the players they *just* brought in are for Arteta. to fire him before the end of the season would be madness. give him this season to show that he can round this group into form, and if not, then we'll have a much easier time finding a world class replacement for him in May than we will in the final week of August, or the middle of February for that matter. 

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Yeah, the problem isn't losing to Chelsea, they are a top team right now and in the hunt to dethrone City.

The problem was the Brentford loss. That isn't a game anyone expected Arsenal to drop, much less 0-2. If they win that game as expected, then this Chelsea loss doesn't have the sting it currently has.

Now they are staring down an 0-0-3 start. So I fully expect them to beat City on the road next week.

I don’t lol

VAR being used to hand out a straight red is dumb to me. The point of a straight red is that it's clear and obvious and the ref judges it as so on the pitch. Going to replay is basically admitting "well I didn't think it was a red but let me check in slow mo". If you have to go to the booth then let's just call it a yellow and move on. This game is now fucked for the entire 2nd half. 

Not saying it shouldn't be a red, btw.

Edited by ztejas

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

VAR being used to hand out a straight red is dumb to me. The point of a straight red is that it's clear and obvious and the ref judges it as so on the pitch. Going to replay is basically admitting "well I didn't think it was a red but let me check in slow mo". If you have to go to the booth then let's just call it a yellow and move on. This game is now fucked for the entire 2nd half. 

I've never refed a PL match but damn things happen so fast.  A ref can't see every play esp if blocked by a player.   Half time guys are even saying it wasn't all that accidental 

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, midtown said:

I've never refed a PL match but damn things happen so fast.  A ref can't see every play esp if blocked by a player.  

True. I'm probably bitching because this had the chance to be a good game. Players should be aware that everything is on camera and can be checked. 

I think Oliver missed this because he's having to make the call through the players. He might have been blocked by the players off leg.

And as a whole this seemed pretty fair. He wasn't looking at it long. Saw the single camera angle that showed the guy try to block the players with his leg and instead catch his shin with a bad challenge, "oh that's a red" boom, gave the guy a card. He didn't sit there for a long time deliberating.

There are worse teams to face with 10 men. Giving goals away like that is terrible. Always thought being a man down hurts you more on the counter than on defense anyway. 

Case in point. Could be level. 

Edited by ztejas

5 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Yup.  LCFC is about to permanently replace them as a big 6 EPL club.  Shows the importance of ownership.

Meh.  These things tend to even out over time.  All of the big clubs have had bad stretches.  You could have said the same thing about Liverpool during the 6-7 years before Klopp arrived.   I think its likely that Arsenal corrects at some point and reverts to the mean (likely finishing 3-5 in the table most years).   Similarly, I think LCFC reverts to being a consistent mid-table team at some point, and Spurs is already headed in that direction (and will get there quickly if Harry leaves).  

And if I am wrong and Arsenal continues to stink for a few more years, then I think there simply is no longer a "big six."   Its a pretty recent categorization that only came into being because of the sudden rise of City.  Its not hard to imagine that we return to talking about a "Top Four" comprised of LFC, United, Chelsea and City.  

4 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Meh.  These things tend to even out over time.  All of the big clubs have had bad stretches.  You could have said the same thing about Liverpool during the 6-7 years before Klopp arrived.   I think its likely that Arsenal corrects at some point and reverts to the mean (likely finishing 3-5 in the table most years).   Similarly, I think LCFC reverts to being a consistent mid-table team at some point, and Spurs is already headed in that direction (and will get there quickly if Harry leaves).

Liverpool got out of it because their shitass owners were forced to sell. FSG took over and have been, by and large, good stewards of the club.

Stan Kroenke is also a shitass owner and but he is unlikely to be parting with his majority share of the club any time soon. As long as he's involved with the club, it's hard to see a way out for Arsenal.

Spurs seems like a funny example to give at the moment, considering they've taken six points from two difficult matches and have a very good manager. Jury is a long ways out on Arteta.

1 minute ago, 406W30th said:

Spurs seems like a funny example to give at the moment, considering they've taken six points from two difficult matches and have a very good manager.

They'll fuck it up. Do you not remember last year?

Edited by ztejas

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They'll fuck it up. Do you not remember last year?

Oh I don't think they'll challenge for the CL spots, I just think their trajectory is much closer to that than Arsenal's.

And the best example of a team that fucked it up last year is Leicester. They had CL in their grasp and completely choked.

Edited by 406W30th