EPL 2021-22

maninblack

As a fan, it’s great to see.

That said, it’s only match week 3. Hell, Spurs we’re in first in December of last year and faded after the new year.

NES has been a breath of fresh air and doesn’t have the attitude of Mou that will estrange players. I’m intrigued to see where this goes.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Hell, Spurs we’re in first in December of last year and faded after the new year.

Right. I feel like people are quick to forget this. Anyone can lead after 3 match days. It seems you're better equipped to make a run at CL this season but I'm sure Spurs fans are holding their breath until it happens. 

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Right. I feel like people are quick to forget this. Anyone can lead after 3 match days. It seems you're better equipped to make a run at CL this season but I'm sure Spurs fans are holding their breath until it happens. 

Any Spurs fan forgetting that is delusional. I know there are some, but few have forgotten that and know to temper their expectations.

Now, that said, I think much of the blame goes to Mou for that collapse. I think he alienated a lot of the team and ran anyone else into the ground. I also think his tactics were more the questionable (paging @Schulz2.0). 

I think the Spurs have solid top of the table talent, HOWEVER, they need to also achieve that, which I don't think the last 2 year's teams came close to doing. I think the English NT's were a very solid indicator of this. Spurs had 5 players on the team in 2018 (World Cup) and just 1 in 2021 (Euros).

I agree, getting back in the UCL is a pretty realistic goal for this team. Target staying at/near the top of the standings. And if things fall right, who knows come Jan, Feb where this team is.

39 minutes ago, midtown said:

Spurs are winning the quad

Jokes aside, is this possible for ANY team this year? And I mean specifically this year.

Along with all of the tournaments you also have a super compacted WCQ schedule. That's going to take a major toll on players. Does any team have the depth to make a run at a treble or more?

On 8/28/2021 at 12:12 PM, MoJames said:

Law from IFAB:

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off: • denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)

20 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Sure I guess. However mings didn’t clear the ball off the line intentionally with his arm. They got the call right on Saturday. Sorry about something similar that happened a season ago.

Oh my bad, I didn't read in the above law about the intent of the handball. Sorry about your inability to read.

5 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Oh my bad, I didn't read in the above law about the intent of the handball. Sorry about your inability to read.

It still has to be a handball. Under the handball laws I don’t think the Mings play would be. His arms are directly down by his sides. 

Following this clarification, it is a handball offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball;
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised; or
  • scores in the opponents’ goal:
    • directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper; or
    • immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental.

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It still has to be a handball. Under the handball laws I don’t think the Mings play would be. His arms are directly down by his sides. 

So you agree with me that it should've gone to VAR?

Also, if you looked above your original post a couple spots, you'd see I said the call was correct. Reece was at fault.

There is nothing similar about these two plays.

image.png.52af92fe570994d43d4518be6eeb9fa0.png

There is his arm as it is hit, it would go backwards and the ball got through him. Mings makes no play to push the ball forward.

r2mvB6.gif

Here you literally see James push the ball forward with his arm. This is about a clear of a handball as you will see.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Also, if you looked above your original post a couple spots, you'd see I said the call was correct. Reece was at fault.

Sure I guess it should have gone to VAR but those plays aren’t particularly similar so it seems strange to bring it up 6 months later.

1 minute ago, MoJames said:

I'm not sure what you are getting on about here.

Looking at the two plays:

Mings - that's not handball, it wasn't called in real time, it didn't go to VAR because it wasn't a clear and obvious error - because the call was right.

James - it was a handball, it wasn't called in real time, it did go to VAR because it was a clear and obvious error - because the call was wrong.

23 hours ago, ztejas said:

Indeed. 

November 2020

Premier League: Southampton climb up to first place for the first time in 32 years

https://newschant.com/sports/premier-league-southampton-climb-up-to-first-place-for-the-first-time-in-32-years/

finished 15th.

Maybe I have blue tinted glasses on. But I see two situations where a goal was stopped by someone's arm/hand. I would assumed both would be evaluated by VAR. I agree James was wrong.

End of the day, I'm sure I'll be bringing the points you all have made up later this season.

I just want what I can get on ESPN+ with the Bundesliga. You can go 1,2,3, or 4 matches in one screen. So I'll have most of the 8:30 Bunde matches on before switching over to the EPL. I'd take even having two matches on one screen. 

20A70613-D1EE-4E0A-9E02-A54BEA6CB9E1.thumb.jpeg.d0a9b8031372e895cdcc8020b5d58d46.jpeg

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2