Sometimes justice gets its day - guy shooting BBs at cars on highway busted by dashcam

52-80

https://abc7.com/attempted-murder-charges-filed-against-freeway-shooting-suspect/10708979/

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Charges were filed Friday against a 34-year-old Anaheim man suspected in a rash of attacks involving BBs or pellets shot through vehicles' windows on freeways in Riverside, Orange and Los Angeles counties.

Jesse Leal Rodriguez was charged with three counts of attempted murder and three counts of assault on a person causing great bodily injury, according to the Riverside County District Attorney's Office.

There have been no new shootings reported since Rodriguez was arrested earlier this week.

Police say it's unclear if Rodriguez acted alone or if he's responsible for other shootings, but roughly 100 vehicles have had their windows shot out since mid-April in Riverside, Orange and Los Angeles counties. Those are still actively being investigated.

Rodriguez is being held on $750,000 bail after police arrested him Tuesday evening. He is set to be arraigned on June 1.

"The DA's office anticipates more charges could be filed in the future," according to an agency statement.

Rodriguez was taken into custody Tuesday after the driver of a Tesla reported his window was shot out near the intersection of Hamner Avenue and Hidden Valley Parkway in Norco.

Because of the high-tech nature of the Tesla, authorities say an on-board camera captured video of the suspect vehicle - a red SUV.

Rodriguez was taken into custody near the 91 Freeway and Tyler Street, after Riverside police stopped him for questioning because his red Chevy Trailblazer matched the description of the suspect vehicle. The three attempted murder charges are for the three people that were inside the Tesla.

If convicted as charged in the current case, he could face up to 57 years to life in state prison.

Rodriguez's criminal history included convictions for carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in public and participating in criminal street gang activity. He was sentenced to 32 months in state prison in April 2013. The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said he was paroled in January 2015 after serving his full term, per law. He was discharged from parole in January 2018.

Investigators have asked victims to call 911 immediately because it can help locate where and when the cases are happening, using clues found by checking Caltrans cameras along the freeways. The CHP has boosted patrols and may be a short distance away and have a better chance of capturing a potential suspect if the call is made right away.

A CHP officer's cruiser recently sustained a damaged window on the eastbound 91 at the 241 Tollway in Anaheim Hills that may have been part of the crime spree.

"An officer was finishing up an enforcement stop and completing notes on the citation when he heard a noise and the back window was shattered. There were big rigs going by at the same time,'' so it might have been a rock that caused the damage, CHP Officer Florentino Olivera said earlier. We're not sure what shattered the window.''

RPE-L-BB-CHARGE-0529-16x9-1.jpg?w=978

sweet, sweet non-merciful justice.  may the law reign down on this dirtbag with its full weight and might.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, B00M said:

5bkzco.jpg

their built in webcam is moderately shite in quality, but simply the fact that its built in, ive found highly highly useful.

if i were to regularly operate another car, i would def equip with cams.

I did this when I was 12, hiding in the bushes and shooting at hubcaps on passing cars with a Daisy Pal.  On residential streets.

At some point I turned a friend onto it and he used a Daisy 880, which was much more powerful, even with just a couple of pumps.  He shot out a car window, once, and also turned out to be pretty sociopathic, so probably did it on purpose.

After that, the stupidity, guilt and shame weighed on my 12 year old conscience for quite some time.

• Hook 'Em 3

^^Raises hand.

Although my pals' and my pinnacle stunt was when we stole my sister's 8 foot, stuffed, Abominable Snowman that came from Abercrombie & Fitch, tied it's feet and arms with 50 lb test fishing line, laid it flat right around a curve coming off the Olmos Dam in Alamo Heights, and then pulled all the lines at the same time around tree trunks as a car came around the corner so that it stood straight up in the middle of the street.

Car hit the snowman, tires screeching, and a woman gets out and just sits in the middle of the road Indian style crying and wailing.  Of course, we hauled ass laughing our asses off, but over the years I've felt worse and worse for that poor woman.

I have admit that I still laugh, though, thinking about the scene later when the cops showed up to take a report.

And it did cost me a kid's fortune ($20) to get my sister never to breathe a word that her Abominable Snowman was missing.  Couldn't have mom filing a police report resulting in dots getting connected post haste.

Thing looked just like this minus the glasses and headband.  And white, of course --

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I did this when I was 12, hiding in the bushes and shooting at hubcaps on passing cars with a Daisy Pal.  On residential streets.

At some point I turned a friend onto it and he used a Daisy 880, which was much more powerful, even with just a couple of pumps.  He shot out a car window, once, and also turned out to be pretty sociopathic, so probably did it on purpose.

After that, the stupidity, guilt and shame weighed on my 12 year old conscience for quite some time.

Same, but water balloons.  I was the youngest one present who was just tagging along.  The ringleader of the operation was in Huntsville on an attempted murder conviction the last time I cared enough to look. 

He’s apparently out now.

My buddies and I would gather up walnuts, still in the husk but about to bust with that juice that stains anything it touches, hide in bushes alongside our street, and lob them at the windshields of cars and trucks going by.  When they hit, they would splat that nasty juice over half of the windshield.  That shit would streak under the wipers, and made a real mess. 

It got too easy to hit the windshields, so we switched to trying to hit the driver's side window.  That went well and was even more entertaining, until a guy drove by with his window down.  I hit him square on his left cheek.  Perfect shot.  He got out and chased us on foot for three blocks before we split up and he gave up.  In our little town, I'm surprised that he didn't recognize us and call our parents, but he didn't.

I feel a little bad about it now, but I can't change it.  I'm not sure that I would if I could.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

We used paint balls but since all of us were too poor for a paintball gun, we bought slingshots. Then when we got old enough to drive, we would drive around in a buddies truck and fire water balloons out the back with a 3 man slingshot.

Kids are assholes

That said, I don't regret blowing up the outhouse on the beach in front of the Sea Gull Condominiums back in the mid 80s.

I mean I regret the contents of said outhouse raining down on me and my buddies Looney Tunes style a few seconds after detonation, but the blowing up part? That moment? That very second?  It was GODDAMNED GLORIOUS!!!

And I don't regret it one bit.  And YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!!!!!!!

Whew.  I feel better.

Edited by Cajun
/runs to check Texas statute of limitations laws
  • Haha 2

My friend's family had property just on the other side of a big hill on the highway coming out of town.  We used to buys tons of Roman candles and bottle rockets and shoot them at the cars just before or as they crested the hill.  We got pretty good at aiming them too, so we could hit the windshield pretty easily.  One time there were no cars for a decent amount of time, so my friend got bored and started shooting bottle rockets over a storage building on the property.  He ended up setting a hay meadow on fire and it didn't take much for the Sheriff to put 2 and 2 together.  Luckily, I got the fuck outta there before they came and my buddy wasn't a snitch.

• Haha 2