2021 MLB Draft Megathread

Sir Ulrich

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Haven’t been able to follow as much as normal, is there a POV on whether or not that’s too low for him to forego heading to Clemson?

Pirates will likely save big on their 1st overall pick. That money can go to chandler to try and get him signed over his slot value of $870k, meaning they’ll probably throw well over $1 million at him. That’d be enough to get me to skip college.

So now that we are down in the 8th or 9th round what are we talking about to sign?  50k? Less? I know some seniors get signed her for 5 or 10k for slot games elsewhere but what does a typical 8th round guy get?  Any chance we have enough firepower in NIL to keep some of those guys in the fold heading forward?  

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So now that we are down in the 8th or 9th round what are we talking about to sign?  50k? Less? I know some seniors get signed her for 5 or 10k for slot games elsewhere but what does a typical 8th round guy get?  Any chance we have enough firepower in NIL to keep some of those guys in the fold heading forward?  

You can still go over slot in those rounds. I.e. pay guys with bonus pool money. 

Pretty much anyone drafted in the top 10 rounds is signing because you forfeit that use of money if they don't sign. If a player is drafted in the top 10 rounds it's very likely the team and player have agreed on a dollar amount. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

You can still go over slot in those rounds. I.e. pay guys with bonus pool money. 

Pretty much anyone drafted in the top 10 rounds is signing because you forfeit that use of money if they don't sign. If a player is drafted in the top 10 rounds is very likely the team and player have agreed on a dollar amount to get the job done. 

Yep.  In the last full draft in 2019, only 2 draftees in the top 10 rounds did not sign.  The deal is made before the picks are made.

Edited by Don Johnson

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

The slot value for the #3 pick is $7.2 million. The slot value for the #32 pick is $2.3 million 

It sounds like Jobe may have gone way under slot based on twitter. In other words, Madden is about to make bank. Probably getting a $3 million plus contract. 

I think Madden had a price tag that needed to be met and that's why he slipped a few spots. It was going to take some bonus pool money to get him which the Tigers had after taking Jobe over Mayer. 

Yeah, I was just showing he has negotiating power. 

• Like 1

Just now, SquishMitten said:

This late, I think I'd stay in school and wait for big money in a couple years

Probably wise for Stewart but you can still get a fairly big contract in these later rounds if a team has bonus pool money to spend. 

I'll feel good about Stewart making it to campus if he falls outside the top 10 rounds. 

I dunno, mid-9th round might be a tough call for Cole  He certainly has Top 5 round stuff.  This'll be a signing to hold our breath on.  

I dunno, mid-9th round might be a tough call for Cole  He certainly has Top 5 round stuff.  This'll be a signing to hold our breath on.  

Yeah. But as someone noted above, only 2 people drafted in the first 10 rounds in 2019 ultimately didn’t sign. It’s presumably all agreed to in advance. That’s still, what, ~$150k hit to pool money if he doesn’t sign?

Sometimes big overslot deals are agreed to with 11th rounders due to that being the first round without bonus slot money assigned and teams that are able to get earlier picks to agree to less than expected.  

Odds are already very high Stewart and Kash (and all others not drafted yet) will be back, but if they get past the 11th, it’s pretty much a lock.

I would imagine that Zubia, Williams, and Stephens will get picked in the 11-20 rounds and would go ahead and sign.  But I think Melendez not going yet means he’ll be back.  Same for Hansen.

Edited by Snake Diggity

3 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Sometimes big overslot deals are agreed to with 11th rounders due to that being the first round without bonus slot money assigned and teams that are able to get earlier picks to agree to less than expected.  

Odds are already very high Stewart and Kash (and all others not drafted yet) will be back, but if they get past the 11th, it’s pretty much a lock.

So does anyone know how many 11th rounders signed last year?

5 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I would imagine that Zubia, Williams, and Stephens will get picked in the 11-20 rounds and would go ahead and sign.  But I think Melendez not going yet means he’ll be back.  Same for Hansen.

This sounds about right. I think it was expected to lose Zubia, Williams, Antico and Stevens no matter what happened in the draft. 

Melendez, Hansen, Stewart and Kash are the ones to watch. Seems like we have a decent shot to get them all back/to campus.

• Like 1