Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Wow. I bet the big networks will be tripping all over themselves to sign a deal with this bad boy conference. 

Good riddance.

My favorite is how WVU fans thought they were going to the ACC but instead they have to find a new imaginary rival. BYU might be good.

26 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Wow. I bet the big networks will be tripping all over themselves to sign a deal with this bad boy conference. 

Good riddance.

Texas left.  Not the other way around.

Comment just comes across weird.  Maybe I need more caffeine this morning...

Edited by slorch

2 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

I am happy for the Big 12 . I hope they go to 16 and stay relevant. 

Oddly 14 is the new average ACC - 14(.5)/ B1G - 14/ SEC - *16/ PAC - 12 so if a league is now disadvantaged, its now PAC footprint...

Meanwhile Oklahoma & Texas will be on SECN & ESPN+ for tier 3, that is in a Disney+/ Hulu bundle (maybe a few ACCN games too)..?

Untitled.png

It's pretty awesome how much Texas has won during this last round of realignment. A common refrain is how realignment destroys ancient rivalries, basically every team that has had to realign prior has had to leave behind a major rivalry. Texas moves, and it not only retains its top rivalry, it also regains its other two historic mutal rivalries. Plus a major concern when leaving the historic texas footprint was always keeping the number of games that are travel-distance viable. One of the reasons Texas football is so fun to watch is because "away" games become home games when teams like Baylor are historically bad at best, and neutral site games at worst because people in Texas are used to driving 3 hours for a football game. OU is played in Dallas, Aggy is in Texas, Arkansas is driving distance away, and when they rotate up, LSU is also a hop skip away. In any given season, we can tell recruits they'll be playing maybe 6-7 or so games either in Texas or within comparable driving distance.

Edited by SEC
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Add 4 from : Boise, Memphis, USF , Colorado State, UAB, Tulane, San Diego, UCon

and run with it    

Why? The four we're adding are already a stretch. I wanted Memphis over UCF, because fuck it, who cares anyway. If we need to add two more Memphis and UConn. But again, it doesn't matter. Even if the league is really good on the field, the perception will still keep us behind the PAC which has been god awful for several years running, including their two "big dogs."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SEC said:

It's pretty awesome how much Texas has won during this last round of realignment. A common refrain is how realignment destroys ancient rivalries, basically every team that has had to realign prior has had to leave behind a major rivalry. Texas moves, and it not only retains its top rivalry, it also regains its other two historic mutal rivalries.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I want to make it clear we're not gaining anything in that regard. One of the only benefits of A&M leaving for the SEC and Texas staying behind is not having to face those gomers in anything. They are obsessed with us to an unhealthy degree, at such a deep institutional level. It pervades everything they do. It's a sacrifice Texas is making to join the SEC to have to be reunited with those buttfucks. 

As far as Arkansas, it's completely one sided. We've never given a shit. There was a time in the 60s when Arkansas was a dominant force in college football for the entire decade - we're talking at the same kind of level as Clemson or Ohio State or OU now - and Texas was at the same level, where it was a lot of fun. Royal and Broyles were the best of buds from a coaching perspective, going so far as to retire at the same time. There were some historic games played, including one of the all time greatest.

But outside of that, no one at Texas has ever really cared about the Razorbacks in football, and that's not going to change. The biggest issue after the 60s is that the Arkansas game came right after OU. Those Razorback fuckers always treated that game as a jihad, especially in that godforsaken community of Fayetteville. You could practically hear dueling banjos as soon as you got off the plane. It wasn't fun. And it wasn't a rivalry. Now, basketball is a different story, and I am excited about the baseball matchups, but that's ruining the tone of the post, so let's skip that shit.

We're bringing our rival, and it's a beast. I hate OU with the blinding passion of a thousand suns. I want them to sink into the crust of the planet and live an eternal existence of torment swimming in hot magma. And then just in time be ready for the annual game in Dallas. A Longhorn fan had his balls ripped off for having the temerity to enter a bar wearing burnt orange in Norman. That doesn't sound extreme. I get that. I only wish I could return the gesture here in Texas. 

The rest of you fucks in the SEC don't actually matter as far as rivalries are concerned. It's nice we'll finally be in a conference with state schools, and in the new wild west of NIL, it will be great to be on even footing with all of you cheating bastards. Make no mistake. We feel like the SEC is lucky to be getting us, not the other way around. We're the most arrogant fan base around. More arrogant than Alabama, even. You don't think it's possible, but you'll find out. It gets way worse if the team actually wins some, but the beautiful thing about our arrogance is that it never goes away even if we're irrelevant. And unlike Bama, it actually has little to do with football. We just think we're better in every way. It makes it fun to rub it in our face when we lose. It's fun to hate Texas. You'll come to appreciate that, and we're happy to oblige. 

But lucky to regain two historic mutual rivalries? I don't think so. About the only thing I'm looking forward to is treating A&M to the equivalent of a Dresden bombing. One thing that has always been true is that A&M and Texas are never strong football programs at the same time. I look forward to them being put back in their rightful place.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Why? The four we're adding are already a stretch. I wanted Memphis over UCF, because fuck it, who cares anyway. If we need to add two more Memphis and UConn. But again, it doesn't matter. Even if the league is really good on the field, the perception will still keep us behind the PAC which has been god awful for several years running, including their two "big dogs."

I disagree. Big 12/14/16 needs to act like a big dog. Take charge of the media and build the brand. Reach in new markets and generate interest.

You need to turn that droopy stache upside down into a smile my friend. 

This gloom and doom hurts me deeply coming from you 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

I disagree. Big 12/14/16 needs to act like a big dog. Take charge of the media and build the brand. Reach in new markets and generate interest.

You need to turn that droopy stache upside down into a smile my friend. 

This gloom and doom hurts me deeply coming from you 

I'm still not happy, but I do think the new 12 team league can be competitive in football and will be a great basketball conference. The issue is if anyone will give a shit. I don't understand people who watch bluebloods on TV with no affiliation, but I know that it's a big thing in tv ratings, and I just don't see how we break through and keep up viewership since we are unequivocally now viewed as a mid major conference. I don't see how taking any more risks with AAC teams helps in our quest to hopefully be on par with PAC and ACC at least. The more you add, the more you risk duds. 

Edited by 'stache

Just now, 'stache said:

I'm still not happy, but I do think the new 12 team league can be competitive in football and will be a great basketball conference. The issue is if anyone will give a shit. I don't understand people who watch bluebloods on TV with no affiliation, but I know that it's a big thing in tv ratings, and I just don't see how we break through and keep up viewership since we are unequivocally now viewed as a mid major conference.

Be ranked, especially in the Top 10.

https://www.blackandgoldbanneret.com/2018/10/24/17988102/ucf-knights-football-tv-ratings-viewers-history

There are some regular season AAC games there over 3 million viewers. They are all ranked matchups. A ranked Oklahoma State versus ranked Central Florida game will draw viewers.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, 'stache said:

I'm still not happy, but I do think the new 12 team league can be competitive in football and will be a great basketball conference. The issue is if anyone will give a shit. I don't understand people who watch bluebloods on TV with no affiliation, but I know that it's a big thing in tv ratings, and I just don't see how we break through and keep up viewership since we are unequivocally now viewed as a mid major conference.

College football needs a "middle America" conference and one that branches out is even better. Just win and you will get the eye balls. You have an opportunity to include another 4 or more states into the fold. Capitalize on that shit and build the brand. BUT WIN and it takes care of everything else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So I guess the new Big 12 "big brand" is BYU? They have the largest stadium at 63k, and are a "national" school due to their mormon following. Should the Big 12 actually rally around them, make them into their Face-of-the-Conference team?

Who is the new "big" rivalry for the Big 12? Kansas vs KState is historically a crap game. Baylor vs TCU has been kind of fun lately. UH vs TCU could try to coat tails "Houston" vs "Dallas" mentality. Any chance Tech and Okie State try to make their thing into a deal?

Of the Texas schools remaining, which one will become the "top dog"? I would guess either Tech or TCU would probably historically be the best remaining, but I'm not actually sure.

I saw it estimated that the Big 12's post Texas-OU value will be around $20-$25 million per team. That's a step down from the $37 million per team with Texas and OU currently, but a huge step up for the G5 3 + BYU coming in. BYU reportedly gets about $6-$10 million for their TV contract, and the rest are in the $5-$10 million range as well. Will that translate into stadium expansions for these schools?

It's kind of fascinating to watch a league full of major also-rans and losers.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The new 12 team league currently has 2 Top 10 teams.

Has a mid major EVER done that?  You're letting Surly assholes and Sooner fans get to your head.  This conference is not a mid major in any way shape, or form.  It's unequivocally better at football than the Pac 12 and it's better than the non-Clemson ACC.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Has a mid major EVER done that?  You're letting Surly assholes and Sooner fans get to your head.  This conference is not a mid major in any way shape, or form.  It's unequivocally better at football than the Pac 12 and it's better than the non-Clemson ACC.

agree. I think the conference can build its way to become a solid 3rd and have a say to who wins the championship in some years 

By the way, I hope Texas plays some out of conference games with you guys. You have been good people 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

To be faiiiiiiiiiiirr, I did say "perception." I know the teams will be good, better than the PAC and non-Clemson ACC, but perception will still be a problem. People still remember UCF "claiming" a national title being undefeated and being left out of the playoff. That's what we are facing right now, same way OSU was left out of the title game in 2011 for a fucking SEC rematch in which one team scored zero points, because despite all measures being in our favor over bama except for "quality of loss," perception is reality, and bama has it over OSU. The other conferences will be viewed as above us, and tv payouts will back it up. I also said we might be able to break through, but I don't like being forced into this situation.

Edited by 'stache

Just now, 'stache said:

To be faiiiiiiiiiiirr, I did say "perception." I know the teams will be good, better than the PAC and non-Clemson ACC, but perception will still be a problem. People still remember UCF "claiming" a national title being undefeated and being left out of the playoff. That's what we are facing right now, same way OSU was left out of the title game in 2011 for a fucking SEC rematch in which one team scored zero points, because despite all measures being in our favor over bama except for "quality of loss," perception is reality, and bama has it over OSU. 

Perception has always been a problem for a league based in middle America.  Our biggest hope is playoff expansion with an auto bid.  Then perception becomes far less relevant.

If the winner of this league is undefeated, they're in.

This is UCF's 2017 schedule: FIU, Maryland, Memphis, Cincy, ECU, Navy, Austin Peay, SMU, UConn, Temple, USF, and Memphis again in the AAC title game.

Their 2023 schedule will blow that out of the water.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

To be faiiiiiiiiiiirr, I did say "perception." I know the teams will be good, better than the PAC and non-Clemson ACC, but perception will still be a problem. People still remember UCF "claiming" a national title being undefeated and being left out of the playoff. That's what we are facing right now, same way OSU was left out of the title game in 2011 for a fucking SEC rematch in which one team scored zero points, because despite all measures being in our favor over bama except for "quality of loss," perception is reality, and bama has it over OSU. The other conferences will be viewed as above us, and tv payouts will back it up. I also said we might be able to break through, but I don't like being forced into this situation.

Keep swinging man. And dont sell that UCF team short. They were a damn good top 5 team that year. The Big 12 just doesn't need to be passive or defeatist 

The passive part is what I believe got them in the situation in the first place. They should have expanded to 16 in 2010

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

And I read a Houston board this morning.  Holy shit.  They have all the Texan arrogance down pat.

Many Texans hate them too.  Hate's probably too strong of a word though.

Mildly annoyed by them, similarly to a yappy AF dog is more accurate.

Edited by slorch

Since this is happening, here are my expected and preferred divisions.

This seems like the most obvious split.

East: WVU, UCF, Cincy, ISU, KU, KSU
West: BYU, OSU, Tech, TCU, Houston, BU

But my preference would be newbs vs olds so at least the old Big 8 teams are together and our closest old Big XII partners.

Newbs: BYU, UCF, Cincy, Houston, TCU, WVU
Olds: OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, Tech, BU

3 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Keep swinging man. And dont sell that UCF team short. They were a damn good top 5 team that year. The Big 12 just doesn't need to be passive or defeatist 

The passive part is what I believe got them in the situation in the first place. They should have expanded to 16 in 2010

Ok, can we stop with Texas fans saying the Big 12 fucked up by not adding more teams in the past?  We didn't do it because you guys and OU didn't want it.  I realize there's a narrative that the 8 didn't want to work with Texas and OU, but I'm pretty sure we were bent over backwards hoping to keep you happy.

If we knew then that there was no way to placate you, sure, it would have made sense.  But we're financially better off with you guys in this league, and even if this new arrangement has opportunities and will be fine, the previous arrangement was absolutely more lucrative.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I agree with your point, but the question will be if it stays as strong once they're all recruiting to a conference that's now viewed as weaker than it was before and as you point out also viewed as weaker than it really is. One of the scariest parts of all this is that this new Big 12 is going to need good PR and to sell their conference more than ever but we've heard nothing about a change in conference leadership. The biggest problem the Big 12 has always had, in my opinion even more than the population base issue, is a complete lack of vision and leadership in the conference offices. The Big 12 has always been much better at basically every sport than it's been given credit for in the national media because the league office communicated like shit and just let it happen.

Just now, 'stache said:

Since this is happening, here are my expected and preferred divisions.

This seems like the most obvious split.

East: WVU, UCF, Cincy, ISU, KU, KSU
West: BYU, OSU, Tech, TCU, Houston, BU

But my preference would be newbs vs olds so at least the old Big 8 teams are together and our closest old Big XII partners.

Newbs: BYU, UCF, Cincy, Houston, TCU, WVU
Olds: OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, Tech, BU

I'd rather not have divisions, but if we do it absolutely should be Olds vs Newbs.

15 minutes ago, SEC said:

So I guess the new Big 12 "big brand" is BYU? They have the largest stadium at 63k, and are a "national" school due to their mormon following. Should the Big 12 actually rally around them, make them into their Face-of-the-Conference team?

Who is the new "big" rivalry for the Big 12? Kansas vs KState is historically a crap game. Baylor vs TCU has been kind of fun lately. UH vs TCU could try to coat tails "Houston" vs "Dallas" mentality. Any chance Tech and Okie State try to make their thing into a deal?

Of the Texas schools remaining, which one will become the "top dog"? I would guess either Tech or TCU would probably historically be the best remaining, but I'm not actually sure.

I saw it estimated that the Big 12's post Texas-OU value will be around $20-$25 million per team. That's a step down from the $37 million per team with Texas and OU currently, but a huge step up for the G5 3 + BYU coming in. BYU reportedly gets about $6-$10 million for their TV contract, and the rest are in the $5-$10 million range as well. Will that translate into stadium expansions for these schools?

It's kind of fascinating to watch a league full of major also-rans and losers.

OSU v. Tech has always felt a little rivalry, especially when the pirate was there and the over-under for our games was 100. I remember someone tried to put together a Tech-OSU game at the Cotton Bowl during the state fair, but I think both programs knew it would be the "little brother bowl" and always be viewed as an inferior game with shitty attendance so I'm glad it didn't happen. I think we're the most likely to form a rivalry over time. In basketball, OSU-KU is a big deal, so I hope we can stay together in this Frankenstein conference.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know much about them, but from what I do know, they are going to be the second most hated team after baylor. 

I hate UH fans way more than Baylor fans. Everyone at UH has a chip on their shoulder from being 5th choice, and their accomplishments match the quality of their livestock. At least Baylor has won a fucking Natty in a major sport. UH fans are basically aggys with even less accomplishment and more anger.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I agree with your point, but the question will be if it stays as strong once they're all recruiting to a conference that's now viewed as weaker than it was before and as you point out also viewed as weaker than it really is. One of the scariest parts of all this is that this new Big 12 is going to need good PR and to sell their conference more than ever but we've heard nothing about a change in conference leadership. The biggest problem the Big 12 has always had, in my opinion even more than the population base issue, is a complete lack of vision and leadership in the conference offices. The Big 12 has always been much better at basically every sport than it's been given credit for in the national media because the league office communicated like shit and just let it happen.

I'm optimistic that with a more level standing among the schools, there will be a more unified effort in branding.  I think there was a lot of effort put into trying to figure out what would make Texas and Oklahoma happy the last 10 years, and that was a fool's errand in hindsight.  With no individual school that can dynamite everything, it's probably easier to collaborate.

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I doubt any of us that aren't Texas schools are gonna be in a real big hurry to schedule you guys.  I'm pretty sure our admins hate your admins' guts.

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Ok, can we stop with Texas fans saying the Big 12 fucked up by not adding more teams in the past?  We didn't do it because you guys and OU didn't want it.

If we knew then that there was no way to placate you, sure, it would have made sense.  But we're financially better off with you guys in this league, and even if this new arrangement has opportunities and will be fine, the previous arrangement was absolutely more lucrative.

I know you're upset this morning because some people around here are being typically assholish, but do you see the issue with these two posts? Iowa State is as good as they are right now specifically because of Texas's administration. Texas could have left whenever it wanted at any point over the last 25 years and Iowa State would have faced the same battle against irrelevance that they're worried about right now. I doubt Iowa State's administration hates Texas's administration as much as you think they do.

This has nothing to do with the fact that I think ISU should have always had a seat at the table, but rather that as we see now there aren't enough people out there who agree with us.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Ok, can we stop with Texas fans saying the Big 12 fucked up by not adding more teams in the past?  We didn't do it because you guys and OU didn't want it.

Oh I agree Texas and OU didnt want it and I just dont agree with it. We needed better and stronger leadership from the Big 12 

Hell I guess I was and will be a fan of the Big 12 conference more so than the end of the SW conference 

1 minute ago, SEC said:

I hate UH fans way more than Baylor fans. Everyone at UH has a chip on their shoulder from being 5th choice, and their accomplishments match the quality of their livestock. At least Baylor has won a fucking Natty in a major sport. UH fans are basically aggys with even less accomplishment and more anger.

You guys have more history from the SWC, but for the rest of us, I don't think anyone can outdo hatred for murder scandals and rape enabling.

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't know much about them, but from what I do know, they are going to be the second most hated team after baylor. 

U of H has a severe little brother syndrome. They think they're elite athletic program after the Final Four appearance. They don't understand football is king and they're terrible at it. 

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Recruiting is my biggest concern. The transfer portal helps, but it'll still be people who can't start at a blueblood program. And we recruit heavily out of Texas and will only be attractive after UT, OU, aggy, and every SEC team has passed on them. That is a very real and rational fear.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm optimistic that with a more level standing among the schools, there will be a more unified effort in branding.  I think there was a lot of effort put into trying to figure out what would make Texas and Oklahoma happy the last 10 years, and that was a fool's errand in hindsight.  With no individual school that can dynamite everything, it's probably easier to collaborate.

lulz no there wasn't. You honestly think there was an effort to do whatever would make Texas and Oklahoma happy? Half the conference constantly bitched about and talked shit about Texas to the media, off the record of course, whenever they had a chance.

Texas tried a bunch of shit that people voted down. For example, the Big 12 network idea. Then that became the Lone Star network idea. Then when A&M rejected that it became the Longhorn Network.

A bunch of the things Texas has done on its own happened specifically because the Big 12 didn't do what would make Texas happy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, Huckleberry said:

I know you're upset this morning because some people around here are being typically assholish, but do you see the issue with these two posts? Iowa State is as good as they are right now specifically because of Texas's administration. Texas could have left whenever it wanted at any point over the last 25 years and Iowa State would have faced the same battle against irrelevance that they're worried about right now. I doubt Iowa State's administration hates Texas's administration as much as you think they do.

They probably hate Oklahoma's more?

I mean, the thing that's hard for us is why are you guys the way you are and Ohio State and Michigan aren't?  We have to look at Iowa, who is as "worthless" as we are or more less, and they don't have to worry about shit because Ohio State and Michigan are completely fine subsidizing them.

75% of the current P5 are schools that would be in this spot if the blue bloods they associate with got sick of doing so.

You guys have more history from the SWC, but for the rest of us, I don't think anyone can outdo hatred for murder scandals and rape enabling.

Has nothing to do with conference. They talk shit about the Big 12 members like Okie Lite as well, yall just don't pay attention to them because of distance. In UH fandoms minds, if only they had the power 5 funding, they'd be ruling college football because Houston, the city, is huge. They feel like they're a sleeping giant, whose knees were cut off by the Bowl Alliance cartel to keep them down.

You'll learn about them really quickly. They have the perfect fanbase for a school representing the piece of shit, insecure city that Houston is.

16 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I doubt any of us that aren't Texas schools are gonna be in a real big hurry to schedule you guys.  I'm pretty sure our admins hate your admins' guts.

Tell them a thank you for keeping the conference scotch taped together for the past 10 years after Mizzou, Nebraska, A&M and Colorado left (blame them btw), and the tens of millions of dollars UT's efforts sent ISU's way, would've sufficed nicely.  Thanks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1