Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

On 8/13/2021 at 2:18 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Note:  If you really want to write fan fiction, you really need to nail the details.  Otherwise, this is just the wishful thinking of a 15 year old going through puberty.

Realignment fantasy talk?

Your teen years were definitely different than mine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 11:54 AM, 927 E. 41st said:

You left out cats, apparently they aren't safe either.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/play-dead-6378332

“…two Baylor baseball players shot the cat with a pellet gun, beat it in the head with a golf club, decapitated and skinned it. Both young men were acquitted since no one had proper ownership papers for Queso.”

15 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

He said the Big 12 looking at potential expansion was a sham and that they were afraid of UH.

Well he was right about it being a sham, the Big 12 was lead by a moron. Most of the Big 12 would be surpassed by UH getting $35M+. UH made no sense in a Big 12 with Texas.

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Well he was right about it being a sham, the Big 12 was lead by a moron. Most of the Big 12 would be surpassed by UH getting $35M+. UH made no sense in a Big 12 with Texas.

UH probably makes more sense for the Pac than any other CDT team available. Definitely easier to get to than Lubbock or Stillwater.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

I think this is coming from Baylor/TCU sources because it’s their survival plan. 

- Fool Tech into an alliance. 

- Throw a wrench into Texas and OU leaving in Summer 2022. 

- Use Texas/OU buyout money to pay off /reduce debt on current athletic program construction projects. 

- Shut out UH to maintain a recruiting advantage. 

- Add recruiting non-factors but good football programs in UCF, Cincy, Boise, and BYU. 

- Grab 1 of the 6 guaranteed spots in the expanded CFB. 

Of all the expansion candidates, Houston is probably the Big 12's best TV option for football.  UH vs. TTU/TCU/BU/OSU is a better TV match-up than probably anyone else that can be added (except maybe BYU.)  Houston also just made a Final Four in men's basketball, too.  It would be a very Big 12 move to avoid adding them.

The smart move is to kneecap the American and create some separation between itself and the Group of 5.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 4:56 PM, DFW Horn said:

Hart Lee Dykes and Thurman Thomas

Nobody who followed Greater Houston HS football closely understood why either signed with OSU. Now we know better. Inside scoop?

The inside scoop was named Willie Anderson.  Recruiting coordinator who had already lost a job at Clemson for violations.  He recruited me when he was on the OSU staff.  Now he's a preacher up in Oklahoma somewhere,

SWCFROG

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

This is likely the truth. Just like they did in the SWC.

Houston would probably pull even with the Tech, TCU, Baylors... but I'm not sure they can pull ahead any time soon.  It's not like they're regularly even winning their division in the American.  TCU, Baylor, and Houston would all be in some pretty prime recruiting turf so I don't know that UH has a significant advantage.  UH doesn't have dramatically deeper donor pockets.  It's going to be a coach-driven conference from there, I think.  

That said, the Big 12 should *want* Houston to join and significantly elevate itself.  They need breadwinners.  If they still don't understand that part of the equation, it doesn't bode well for the conference.  

20 minutes ago, SWCFROG said:

The inside scoop was named Willie Anderson.  Recruiting coordinator who had already lost a job at Clemson for violations.  He recruited me when he was on the OSU staff.  Now he's a preacher up in Oklahoma somewhere,

SWCFROG

So he's still recruiting, except now they're paying him?

17 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

If the PAC wanted a city school they would take SD State who mint cash and own their market now with the bolts in LA.

Cougar High to the PAC.

Next thing you know, wheels will ban jabs.

SDSU "mints cash" you say?

If so, where do they rank in D1 collegiate athletics financially?

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

Ain't gonna happen with Bowlsby in charge. Maybe Oliver Luck ousts him soon?

Yeah.  If Bowlsby is too collegial after all that has happened to be ruthless, then they need to hire someone who is willing to be ruthless.  Luck would work as a consultant that they listen to but he's probably too big a name for the Big 12 at this point.  

12 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it's harvest time, and i don't think he can quit this place because 1) he's good people 2) he has a lot of advocates here in his corner and 3) he knows there is no higher level of discourse anywhere on the intertrons

he'll be back

And don't forget the "Hey Steel Shank" thread.

Edited by Steel Shank
shitty-ass typist

22 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My hope is that a couple days after everything is settled with UT/OU/SECESPN and the Irate 8, that announcements come out saying that ISU/KU are going to the Big 10, OSU/KSU/Tech/TCU are going to the Pac 12, WVU is going to the ACC, and Baylor is going to Hell. 

this is the best outcome

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've been logging in every few days to check notifications, and figured if someone actually tagged me, I'd respond.

I hope that we're all just laying in the weeds, finding homes, and trying to stick you guys/SECESPN for every last dollar.  It's not personal, it's just business.  We're going to need the cash, you know?

My hope is that a couple days after everything is settled with UT/OU/SECESPN and the Irate 8, that announcements come out saying that ISU/KU are going to the Big 10, OSU/KSU/Tech/TCU are going to the Pac 12, WVU is going to the ACC, and Baylor is going to Hell.  Given the complete and absolute silence from ISU's AD, and some things starting to leak, I could see it (but I'm not getting emotionally invested in that outcome).  The big reason I think it's feasible is there's been some discussion in ISU corners of a move back towards unequal revenue sharing.  ISU and KU don't need to make the Big 10 $50 million a year if they're willing to take a lower cut of the payout in exchange for stability, and that's an angle absolutely no one nationally has even remotely considered.

If that doesn't work out, I don't think it's crazy that the more powerful leagues would throw the reformed Big 12 a bone and give us an automatic playoff berth in the future in exchange for dropping suits and fucking off.  It's a way for SECESPN to shut us up (so your incentive to do this) and from the Alliance standpoint, it keeps a playoff spot away from y'all, which seems to be a motivator them.  If we have a guaranteed place at the table in that regard, I don't really care as much about lower payouts.  In an Irate 8 + BYU/Cincy/Houston/UCF scenario, as long as the Big 12 or whatever you call it champ is getting into the playoff, I think we're fine.  I don't see my personal interest diminishing at all.  KSU, KU, and OK State are the schools I feel the closest to anyways.

If the Irate 8 are just permanently shut out of having access to college sports, I'll probably still follow it in a diminished capacity, but it would be a major, senseless loss.

Yes.  So I think the Alliance is posturing right now.  The PAC needs a 12 team playoff and I think the I8 should get an auto bid for sure.

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yes.  So I think the Alliance is posturing right now.  The PAC needs a 12 team playoff and I think the I8 should get an auto bid for sure.

Yeah, I think even if the 8 don't get absorbed, the Pac, ACC (what happens after Dabo, ya know?), and maybe even Big 10 (they've been left out too) will be pushing for automatic qualifying criteria in a future playoff.  I think the 8 can at least get themselves an auto bid, and like I said, if ISU is in a place where winning the conference gets them to the playoff, I can live with about any iteration of that.

The thing with the remaining 8 is 7 of them have spent their entire existence as part of a major conference and the one who hasn't (TCU) has spent the vast majority of their existence in one.  They all fit power leagues better than G5, there just aren't any blue bloods.  Hell, I think every single one has a Top 10 finish in the last 15 years.  So yeah, they aren't going to command the same kind of TV money, but their historical record suggests they should be "at the table" in terms of playoff access as they're all capable of being competitive.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've been logging in every few days to check notifications, and figured if someone actually tagged me, I'd respond.

I hope that we're all just laying in the weeds, finding homes, and trying to stick you guys/SECESPN for every last dollar.  It's not personal, it's just business.  We're going to need the cash, you know?

My hope is that a couple days after everything is settled with UT/OU/SECESPN and the Irate 8, that announcements come out saying that ISU/KU are going to the Big 10, OSU/KSU/Tech/TCU are going to the Pac 12, WVU is going to the ACC, and Baylor is going to Hell.  Given the complete and absolute silence from ISU's AD, and some things starting to leak, I could see it (but I'm not getting emotionally invested in that outcome).  The big reason I think it's feasible is there's been some discussion in ISU corners of a move back towards unequal revenue sharing.  ISU and KU don't need to make the Big 10 $50 million a year if they're willing to take a lower cut of the payout in exchange for stability, and that's an angle absolutely no one nationally has even remotely considered.

If that doesn't work out, I don't think it's crazy that the more powerful leagues would throw the reformed Big 12 a bone and give us an automatic playoff berth in the future in exchange for dropping suits and fucking off.  It's a way for SECESPN to shut us up (so your incentive to do this) and from the Alliance standpoint, it keeps a playoff spot away from y'all, which seems to be a motivator them.  If we have a guaranteed place at the table in that regard, I don't really care as much about lower payouts.  In an Irate 8 + BYU/Cincy/Houston/UCF scenario, as long as the Big 12 or whatever you call it champ is getting into the playoff, I think we're fine.  I don't see my personal interest diminishing at all.  KSU, KU, and OK State are the schools I feel the closest to anyways.

If the Irate 8 are just permanently shut out of having access to college sports, I'll probably still follow it in a diminished capacity, but it would be a major, senseless loss.

If we go to 12 playoff, the L8 won’t be taking a spot from the SEC.   if the playoff stays at 4 there is no way in hell that any B12 eventuality gets an auto playoff spot, thus no way they are taking a spot away from SEC.  

maybe if you could convince aggy to go back…. It still wouldn’t give the B12 an auto berth, but it sure would be great and those rubes probably think they are important enough.

Before you get too upset with UT keep in mind we might be joining SEC so we can take down yet another conference, the old “if you cant beat them, kill them”.  It’s apparently what we do.

• Hook 'Em 1

The current CFB is nothing more than than a television contract. Maybe that changes when the CFB expands, but it might not. So let's say for argument's sake, ESPN determines who receives the 5 or 6 guaranteed spots. Let's say it's 5. Are they going to give the last spot to the AAC (they own 100% of the TV rights) or the Big 12 (50-50 ESPN/Fox split). The Irate 8 is playing a dangerous game here. They risk alienating ESPN, and losing Power 5 status. 

If the PAC 12, Big Ten, and ACC are unreceptive to expansion, I would suggest the Irate 8 approach ESPN about a merger with the AAC. It would be a big, unwieldly conference spread across the United States, but it would provide plenty of content for ESPN +. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis