Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LOL, no.  I live here in the middle of big 10 country.  Every damn school has some rape/pedo issue - or so it seems.  Also, I've been to Columbus a few times and as much as I want to hate Texas fans, no hellhole can touch Columbus on game day.  So I don't know who you're talking to as far as OU being huge on the big 10, but it makes no sense...also, it's laughable that you think anything you do would be some big fuck you to OU...your aggy is showing.  

Hate to partially defend an aggy, but when Boren was University President he had a big push to try and get OU closer to AAU status, or accepted into the AAU.  Boren also seemed to have an affinity for the Big 10 for that reason.  This may have been why he had the "alleged" scandal for the inappropriate actions regarding a male aide.   Boren was just trying to get OU to have a sex scandal to better fit in with the Big 10.  

Long game.

Edited by ABSR
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

What happened to Nebraska, outside of them continuing their decent into mediocrity that started around 2002?

They lost what little access they had to Texas recruits too.  For OU the new narrative for recruits was clearly playing with the best meant the SEC - OU and Texas lost a lot of recruits to aggy and the main/only reason was their selling the whole 'play with the best' narrative.  Whether that's true or not it has really changed recruiting over the last 15 years.  Was OU interested in the b1g?  Sure.  Did that change a LOT in the last 15 years?  Absolutely. 

Just now, ABSR said:

Hate to partially defend an aggy, but when Boren was University President he had a big push to try and get OU closer to AAU status, or accepted into the AAU.  Boren also seemed to have an affinity for the Big 10 for that reason.  This may have been why we had the "alleged" scandal for the inappropriate actions regarding a male aide.   Boren was just trying to get OU to have a sex scandal to better fit in with the Big 10.  

Long game.

LOL, see my post above.  Shit has changed a lot - the way things are heading the academic side of the University will have even less tied to the athletics side as we move forward in CFB.  NCAA is on it's last leg as far as football is concerned.  Things change - B1G has gotten less and less attractive as academics and sports became less tied together...and as the SEC dominated the media which in turn lead to it dominating recruiting...here we are.  Has the SEC been overrated?  Absolutely...but it was still the best - just not some bullshit head and shoulders above everyone situation...until they added the 2 best programs in the third best conference.  Perception is becoming reality.  

1 minute ago, Saint Austin said:

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather see Tech take Mizzou's spot only because of the secondary rivalry we have with them.

I'd rather Iowa State take it because all my pod work is ruined if UT, A&M, Tech, OU, and Arkansas are all in the new SEC.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'd rather Iowa State take it because all my pod work is ruined if UT, A&M, Tech, OU, and Arkansas are all in the new SEC.

Ha!

Just look at it this way-- it'll give you an excuse to do more pod work.  New and improved pod work.  How exciting...

20 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Does the SEC reconsider Okie Lite if Mizzou bails? 

I've held this fantasy since 2011 when there became only 2 SEC spots left. I guess it's still possible. Would be great to reignite the Border War and preserve Bedlam.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Not sure where people are getting that Mizzou might leave the SEC for the Big 10 as that's not making the rounds anywhere.  And it's Missouri--they couldn't keep that a secret if they tried. 

It's no secret that they desperately wanted the B1G back in 2010, but the B1G chose corn instead.  After already lifting its skirts and thoroughly embarrassing itself, mizzou then settled for the SEC just to avoid the shame of staying in the B12 where everyone was laughing at them.  But Mizzou certainly felt itself more aligned and a better academic fit with the B1G.  So now folks are just speculating that if the B1G came a'callin', mizzou would gladly go.

Just now, utee94 said:

It's no secret that they desperately wanted the B1G back in 2010, but the B1G chose corn instead.  After already lifting its skirts and thoroughly embarrassing itself, mizzou then settled for the SEC just to avoid the shame of staying in the B12 where everyone was laughing at them.  But Mizzou certainly felt itself more aligned and a better academic fit with the B1G.  So now folks are just speculating that if the B1G came a'callin', mizzou would gladly go.

Yes, I’m fully aware of Mizzou and them wanting and believing they are a Big 10 school and how they ended up in the SEC.  My post was more to your last sentence in that I’m not sure where people are speculating as there really isn’t anything circulating about that.  I think if Mizzou was flirting with the big 10 (again), that’s something they and their fans wouldn’t be able to keep secret so we’d know about it.  

Pokes to the B1G would be a best case scenario. The PAC is dead man walking. They'd fit geographically, football would be in a similar spot as the B12 and in a perfect year could be the big spoiler. They'd rack up titles in baseball and golf, and fit in with the farm boys who like to play grab ass in singlets (spoken as a former wrestler). They'd probably get 85+% minimum of what they got in the B12 with the possibility of even more

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Makes too much sense. That said, who is this source? We're in twitter silly season these days where someone with 5k follower can singlehandedly create rumors about Clemson/FSU to the SEC, etc.

Also makes a lot of sense with the PAC merger rumors. Kansas to B1G, one of WVU or ISU to ACC or B1G, and then you've got a 18 team PAC 

Edited by Tex-19

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Yes, I’m fully aware of Mizzou and them wanting and believing they are a Big 10 school and how they ended up in the SEC.  My post was more to your last sentence in that I’m not sure where people are speculating as there really isn’t anything circulating about that.  I think if Mizzou was flirting with the big 10 (again), that’s something they and their fans wouldn’t be able to keep secret so we’d know about it.  

I don't think there's ANYTHING that is legitimately "in the works" for the B1G right now.  I think that, like the B12 and Texas A&M and everyone else on the planet, the B1G was caught completely off-guard by Texas and OU switching to the SEC.

So now it is EXPECTED that they are in reactionary mode.  Whether they are or not, remains to be seen.  Whether they decide to do anything at all about it, remains to be seen.

But IF they do feel like they must react, then mizzou is a logical choice for them for a few reasons.  And IF they did choose mizzou, I'd expect the tigers to take the opportunity.

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I don't think there's ANYTHING that is legitimately "in the works" for the B1G right now.  I think that, like the B12 and Texas A&M and everyone else on the planet, the B1G was caught completely off-guard by Texas and OU switching to the SEC.

So now it is EXPECTED that they are in reactionary mode.  Whether they are or not, remains to be seen.  Whether they decide to do anything at all about it, remains to be seen.

But IF they do feel like they must react, then mizzou is a logical choice for them for a few reasons.  And IF they did choose mizzou, I'd expect the tigers to take the opportunity.

Agree, but I’d love for Iowa State to get that spot if they could.  

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Best case scenario would be KU going to big 10, Mizzou going with them, and the full press on to convince ND that the landscape is changing fast and if they want to keep up and have a chance to compete taking that vacated SEC spot is the way to do it. 

No Yankees in the SEC.  KSU or KU would be ok, not ND.

2 minutes ago, bullet said:

No Yankees in the SEC.  KSU or KU would be ok, not ND.

It's all rapidly going towards either 2 super conferences or one big separate league. All the old shit is thrown out, doesn't matter where you come from now only if you bring a big brand and tv money to the pot

15 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Has the SEC been overrated?  Absolutely...but it was still the best - just not some bullshit head and shoulders above everyone situation...until they added the 2 best programs in the third best conference.  Perception is becoming reality.  

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." --Maxwell Scott

LOL that KU guy walked his shit back late in the day yesterday didn't he? Like he basically said he got it from a message board, right?

That said, my inside guy continues to say that OSU and KU to the B1G is a very real possibility. I still can't get my head around the idea of the B1G taking OSU, but I guess a boy can dream.

Edited by oSuJeff97

15 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL that KU guy walked his shit back late in the day yesterday didn't he? Like he basically said he got it from a message board, right?

That said, my inside guy continues to say that OSU and KU to the B1G is a very real possibility. I still can't get my head around the idea of the B1G taking OSU, but I guess a boy can dream.

They turned ou down.  Why would they take you guys?  I guess circumstances have changed, but idk

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

They turned ou down.  Why would they take you guys?  I guess circumstances have changed, but idk

That's why I said I can't get my head around it, but my inside guy continues to insist that it's possible.

But yeah I'd say that OU/Texas to the SEC changes things quite a bit.

If the B1G can't poach the best of the PAC and/or ACC because of GOR or other issues, and they *want* to get to 16 to join the "super-conference" party, then OSU/KU makes about as much sense as anything.  You get the (arguably) best available "free agent" football brand and a basketball blue blood.

I'm not saying is likely to happen. I'm just saying that would be the rationale if it did.

Doesn't the ACC seem like the most likely league to go past 16? They have been pieced together over recent years so you would think there would be less consternation about splitting the league up and not playing each other as often. The PAC 8 was together forever, the AZ schools joined in the 70s, and the two newbs joined for west coast exposure. I don't think they would expand past 16 and might not be interested at all.

48 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

But yeah I'd say that OU/Texas to the SEC changes things quite a bit.

If the B1G can't poach the best of the PAC and/or ACC because of GOR or other issues, and they *want* to get to 16 to join the "super-conference" party, then OSU/KU makes about as much sense as anything.  You get the (arguably) best available "free agent" football brand and a basketball blue blood.

I like Okie St, but yeah I don’t see how this makes any sense.

The B1G doesn’t need super football schools, they have enough top and middle teams (below the SEC but we’ll above the other conferences).  Okie State is good enough to beat up on the teams in the West but they do little to raise the value of the existing conference members.

Honestly grabbing Kansas and UConn would make more sense.

3 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

The B1G doesn’t need super football schools, they have enough top and middle teams (below the SEC but we’ll above the other conferences).  Okie State is good enough to beat up on the teams in the West but they do little to raise the value of the existing conference members.

What teams would you consider top tier in the BIG? It's Ohio State, Michigan (although they've stunk recently), and Penn State. Wisky sometimes is pretty but, but I'd put them mid-tier. We'd fit in with the mid tier programs Wisky, MSU, Iowa, Neby. The rest of the league is mediocre to bad at football. Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue. We're better at football, basketball, and pretty much everything else than these programs. The problem we have is geography and bougie "AAU" stuff which is why we won't get in, not because of any deficiencies in our athletics programs.

4 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Well if you proceed with the assumption that the end-game is 4x16, then it's not like you have other Texas's or OU's just sitting around. If that is, indeed, the end game, then your best bet, whether you are the PAC or the B1G or the ACC, is to grab the most valuable available football brands.

Kansas is a blueblood in basketball so may get an "exemption" for them literally bringing nothing for football... but UConn? They literally add nothing. They are a non-entity in football and their basketball program is historically good, but they aren't anywhere near what Kansas is, in terms of moving the needle for basketball broadcasts.

Again, there are a lot of "ifs" and I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but if 4x16 is the end game, then grabbing the best available football brands is the best way to add incremental value for the PAC, B1G or ACC.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What teams would you consider top tier in the BIG? It's Ohio State, Michigan (although they've stunk recently), and Penn State. Wisky sometimes is pretty but, but I'd put them mid-tier. We'd fit in with the mid tier programs Wisky, MSU, Iowa, Neby. The rest of the league is mediocre to bad at football. Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue. We're better at football, basketball, and pretty much everything else than these programs. The problem we have is geography and bougie "AAU" stuff which is why we won't get in, not because of any deficiencies in our athletics programs.

Yeah not that on-field performance matters all that much in all of this, but I would argue that the OSU football program is better than anything in the B1G right now except Ohio State. We're basically on par with Wisconsin.

Michigan and Nebraska are "name programs" that have been mediocre for a while. OSU has been consistently better for longer than Penn State, MSU, Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota, Purdue, etc., and we're worlds better than Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, etc.

42 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah not that on-field performance matters all that much in all of this, but I would argue that the OSU football program is better than anything in the B1G right now except Ohio State. We're basically on par with Wisconsin.

Michigan and Nebraska are "name programs" that have been mediocre for a while. OSU has been consistently better for longer in the Gundy era than Penn State, MSU, Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota, Purdue, etc., and we're worlds better than Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, etc.

fify

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

I agree with you completely,  but I think you miss my point.  Okie State joins the conference and beats up on the low class of the league and doesn’t bring in all that many more eyeballs.  This isn’t a who is better than who resume because you guys would win that, but you winning that makes Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue and Maryland look worse by comparison.  So they’ll be giving you $50 million a year to beat up on teams that have larger population centers and alumni bases and possibly driving those market more towards NFL and less towards college.  I don’t get it for their business model.

For Okie State I get it 100%, for seeing the best football I get it, but for a business model of making the Big Ten money and bringing eyeballs from their population centers it doesn’t make sense to me.

edit: just to be clear I hope y’all get invited because the I can root for y’all to beat up on all those weak and stuck up Midwest schools.

Edited by TKthunder2