Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

5 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Well if you proceed with the assumption that the end-game is 4x16, then it's not like you have other Texas's or OU's just sitting around. If that is, indeed, the end game, then your best bet, whether you are the PAC or the B1G or the ACC, is to grab the most valuable available football brands.

Kansas is a blueblood in basketball so may get an "exemption" for them literally bringing nothing for football... but UConn? They literally add nothing. They are a non-entity in football and their basketball program is historically good, but they aren't anywhere near what Kansas is, in terms of moving the needle for basketball broadcasts.

Again, there are a lot of "ifs" and I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but if 4x16 is the end game, then grabbing the best available football brands is the best way to add incremental value for the PAC, B1G or ACC.

The Big 10's best bet is to wait until the ACC's GOR gets closer to expiration and then look at ACC schools.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

It started under Les Miles, and Bob Simmons had one magical year in 1997. But yeah, it basically started in 2001. We were terrible before then, except for a blip in the 40s, and while cheating in the 80s.

Hart Lee Dykes and Thurman Thomas

Nobody who followed Greater Houston HS football closely understood why either signed with OSU. Now we know better. Inside scoop?

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

.....but you winning that makes Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue and Maryland look worse by comparison.  So they’ll be giving you $50 million a year to beat up on teams that have larger population centers and alumni bases and possibly driving those market more towards NFL and less towards college.  I don’t get it for their business model.

That's what we expected Corn to do, but I doubt they ever will. 

Politicians getting involved? What could go wrong?

Which does make me wonder how the BX?? would have turned out without the politics that got Tech and Baylor into the conference in the first place. Gobless GILF Richards. Conference prolly would have died years ago if it had just been 10 teams to start with. Or Baylor and Tech would have gotten invites to come from the WAC in 2011? Don't know. I like to ponder these things. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

It is never a good idea for politicians to call for criminal investigations into purely civil contract matters. 

This isn’t something that should be even joked about. 

Let Dr. Dumbass have his 3 seconds of twitter drama fame!

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Isn't that in like, 2035, or something crazy? They might not want to sit on their hands that long.

2036, but again the GOR hasn’t been challenged in court.  If the Big Ten had an agreement to take UVA, UNC, Duke. And GT they’d probably be willing to fight it, because once that goes down all hell breaks loose.  This is why conferences will always settle, the risk to them if they loose the court battle over the GOR is too great.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

2036, but again the GOR hasn’t been challenged in court.  If the Big Ten had an agreement to take UVA, UNC, Duke. And GT they’d probably be willing to fight it, because once that goes down all hell breaks loose.  This is why conferences will always settle, the risk to them if they loose the court battle over the GOR is too great.

The defectors and spurned leagues have always settled before, but it looks like our resident numbskull is digging his heels in. Of course, it's probably all empty bluster. I guess we'll find out by year's end.

North:  WVU, Cincinnati, Memphis, ISU, KSU, KU
South:  OSU, TTU, TCU, Baylor, Houston, BYU (Football only)

Throw a bone to KU and add Creighton (17K+ attendance for home games) as an everything but football member.  Gives the baseball schools some away games at the home of the college world series, too.  That leaves the Big 12 as a competitive football conference and an elite basketball conference.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

North:  WVU, Cincinnati, Memphis, ISU, KSU, KU
South:  OSU, TTU, TCU, Baylor, Houston, BYU (Football only)

Throw a bone to KU and add Creighton (17K+ attendance for home games) as an everything but football member.  Gives the baseball schools some away games at the home of the college world series, too.  That leaves the Big 12 as a competitive football conference and an elite basketball conference.  

Swapping Memphis and BYU makes more sense geographically in your scenario.

I'm not sure a non-football Creighton will get a bigger pay-out in this revised Big 12 vs their Big East contract.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Swapping Memphis and BYU makes more sense geographically in your scenario.

I'm not sure a non-football Creighton will get a bigger pay-out in this revised Big 12 vs their Big East contract.

I was thinking of the divisions as more of a football specific thing.  You don't really need them for football but it could mitigate the BYU travel issue to some degree and I think it would produce better matchups for all involved.  

Basketball wouldn't need divisions necessarily.  As for Creighton, I think my hypothetical Big 12 3.0 (or is it 4.0?) is a better top to bottom basketball conference than the Big East.  But even if it's lateral, and the money is lateral, the travel for Creighton under those circumstances would be much easier and less expensive.  Their fans are going to prefer to see KU, K-State, and Iowa State than their current schedule.  I think Creighton and Memphis would be additive to the Big 12 tourney experience in KC, too.

I talked to a few Tech guys at work this week. Intelligent guys, well respected at my company, and they're convinced Tech is already in the Pac 12. I guess optimism, wish casting, and positive thoughts are a part of being a fan. 

My company is riddled with Irate 8 grads, so I've been keeping a very low profile. 

I can see Okie Lite to the PAC because their offense is good and they offer upsets and wins, but what does Tech offer? Just another average to below average school? It just doesn't make sense when they already have ASU and Oregon State. It seems like it would be a weird add. 
A top notch veterinary school?

Oh wait nm, aggy done agroided that idea.
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

The notion that Baylor goes anywhere ahead of Tech is laughable. They think because they won a national championship in basketball last season that they have a seat at the table. Forget the NCAA infractions, rape, murder, tiny fanbase in a Shit town, and religious affiliation. If they had subbed in Tech in this document it would be more believable.

• Like 1

The notion that Baylor goes anywhere ahead of Tech is laughable. They think because they won a national championship in basketball last season that they have a seat at the table. Forget the NCAA infractions, rape, murder, tiny fanbase in a Shit town, and religious affiliation. If they had subbed in Tech in this document it would be more believable.
Well that and if it didn't read like a 5th grader wrote it.