Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, chase25 said:

You bring the Utah/BYU rivalry in conference. Plus the Big 12 almost certainly tries to get to 16 teams with the B1G and SEC soon to be sitting at 16. I could definitely see them punting Utah though and just trying to cast as wide a net as possible.

I personally think Oregon is the biggest brand left, Big 12 would be stupid not to make them priority #1. I've never been a huge fan of Arizona and Arizona State, both athletic programs have fallen off hard recently, but everyone has their own taste. Either way this is going to be hilarious to watch unfold because several relatively "big" programs will get left holding the left over crumbs of a decimated lifeless PAC/MWC 2.0

You obviously don’t keep up with this. Utah is a pac lap dog and will do whatever Stanford and cal say

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You obviously don’t keep up with this. Utah is a pac lap boy and will do whatever Stanford and cal say

I think the Pac is in every man for themselves mode right now, just a waiting game to see who gets left without a chair

16 minutes ago, chase25 said:

You bring the Utah/BYU rivalry in conference. Plus the Big 12 almost certainly tries to get to 16 teams with the B1G and SEC soon to be sitting at 16. I could definitely see them punting Utah though and just trying to cast as wide a net as possible.

I personally think Oregon is the biggest brand left, Big 12 would be stupid not to make them priority #1. I've never been a huge fan of Arizona and Arizona State, both athletic programs have fallen off hard recently, but everyone has their own taste. Either way this is going to be hilarious to watch unfold because several relatively "big" programs will get left holding the left over crumbs of a decimated lifeless PAC/MWC 2.0

Oh, I wasn't projecting outcomes. I was wishcasting.

11 minutes ago, Deej said:

It'd be stupid not to take them, but it's just one more team heavily recruiting the state and that's not what we really need. 

This.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

The Colorado thing is low-key hilarious.  They spent decades pining for the Pac-10.  I mean, even before it was the Big XII, Colorado made noises about leaving the Big8 to join the Pac-10. 

And then, having gotten their great wish, the Pac-whatever barely lasts a decade with Colorado in it, and Colorado has to come scurrying back to the Big XII.  But it's not really the Big XII they left--now there's no Texas; no Oklahoma; not to mention no Nebraska and no aggy.

But at least they'll get BYU and UCF on their conference schedule.  So that's nice.

You could teach a business course about how to make one bad decision after another and use the Colorado conference moves as a case study.

At least the other ones that left went to stable, big money conferences.

Edited by Aqua Buddha

6 hours ago, DickSolomon said:

I like how in 2024 the Big 12 will have 13 teams and 28 years of history, yet only 3 big 12 champion game winners among their entire group of members, with Kstate being the winningest conference game champion at 2 wins. literally a conference of losers. More than 2/3 of the conference's title game winners reside in other conferences now, lol.

Yeah like we all remember how the two schools that are leaving the conference have co-dominated this "conference of losers" over the past two decades... 

Oh wait... I just checked my notes and that doesn't seem correct at all.

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

You could teach a business course about how to make one bad decision after another and use the Colorado conference moves as a case study.

There are some that made out like bandits with their change of conference.  Utah and Maryland come to mind.  And the King of the Bandits--Rutgers.  That still boggles the mind how Rutgers stumblefucked its way from a dying conference into the B1G.

Most made real upgrades from their previous situation without really changing their status in the grand scheme of things.  Texas, USC, and Missouri all kind of fall into this bucket.

Then there are those that make more money, but are broadly less competitive.  They went from being competitive fish in a small pond to being chum in a the ocean.  Aggy and Nebraska fall in this category.  West Virginia, too.  I mean, I'm sure aggy and Nebraska are happy about their moves.  Their athletic departments are sure happy about the money.  And their fans will claim until doomsday that they're happy being out of the Big XII and away from Big Bad Texas (well, so much for that, aggy).  But if they were honest for a minute, wouldn't most of them admit that they prefer the days in the late-1990s when they were competing for conference championships and BCS Bowl bids?

But then, beyond all of that, is Colorado.  It's hard to imagine a set of conference moves that were thought to be upgrades working out worse for a school.

28 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

There are some that made out like bandits with their change of conference.  Utah and Maryland come to mind.  And the King of the Bandits--Rutgers.  That still boggles the mind how Rutgers stumblefucked its way from a dying conference into the B1G.

Most made real upgrades from their previous situation without really changing their status in the grand scheme of things.  Texas, USC, and Missouri all kind of fall into this bucket.

Then there are those that make more money, but are broadly less competitive.  They went from being competitive fish in a small pond to being chum in a the ocean.  Aggy and Nebraska fall in this category.  West Virginia, too.  I mean, I'm sure aggy and Nebraska are happy about their moves.  Their athletic departments are sure happy about the money.  And their fans will claim until doomsday that they're happy being out of the Big XII and away from Big Bad Texas (well, so much for that, aggy).  But if they were honest for a minute, wouldn't most of them admit that they prefer the days in the late-1990s when they were competing for conference championships and BCS Bowl bids?

But then, beyond all of that, is Colorado.  It's hard to imagine a set of conference moves that were thought to be upgrades working out worse for a school.

It's not even hindsight, either.  The Pac-12 then didn't have the TV deal of even the Big 12.  Sure, you could make the argument that the Big 12 was unstable due to OU and Texas' wondering eyes but they went to the distant 5th of the P5's.  At least Missouri, Aggy, and Nebraska, left for stability and money.

And yes, Rutgers is the king of stumble fucking their way into something.  At least TCU and UCF improved their AD's and played their way in.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I totally disagree. They made the right decisions at the right time. Remember when David Boren tried to get OU and OSU into the PAC when the 2010 deal fell apart? The XII had been raided and looked weak af (and it was at the time). It looked like the XII was in the chopping block. Anyone who had a chance was looking to jump ship. I think they did this move at the right time too. The PAC as we know it is dead, they made the right call both times, imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I totally disagree. They made the right decisions at the right time. Remember when David Boren tried to get OU and OSU into the PAC when the 2010 deal fell apart? The XII had been raided and looked weak af (and it was at the time). It looked like the XII was in the chopping block. Anyone who had a chance was looking to jump ship. I think they did this move at the right time too. The PAC as we know it is dead, they made the right call both times, imo.

aggy is responsible for the PAC breaking up

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

If your wife is a 7 and the marriage might break up, don't bail for a 4.

That'll be $9.95.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I honestly don't see how aggy can be viewed as any less competitive in the SEC than they were in the Big 12.

• Like 1

The Big XII was one tittyflash from ESPN towards Austin from imploding.  Saying otherwise is revisionist's history.

Colorado made a good move to the Pac-whatever.

They made a good move on their return, as well.

26 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If your wife is a 7 and the marriage might break up, don't bail for a 4.

That'll be $9.95.

PAC was a 7 at the time, Big XII was something negative. UT took the LHN bribe to delay what felt like the inevitable. Again, why Boren tried desperately to get into the PAC. It was totally unforeseeable that PAC would bungle their advantage so badly.

Just now, slorch said:

The Big XII was one tittyflash from ESPN towards Austin from imploding.  Saying otherwise is revisionist's history.

Pretty much what I’m saying.

11 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I would swap Missouri and Aggy, but otherwise agree with this analysis.

There’s no way Missouri fans like their situation more than what they could have if they were in the new Big 12.  Aggy hasn’t gotten better, but I think they’re actually happy.

WVU was in a no-win spot.  Unlike a Maryland or Nebraska, they HAD to move.  It hasn’t worked very well, but they likely would be completely fucked had they stuck around for the AAC voluntarily.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Most likely Utah to keep the BYU and Colorado rivalries. 

The Mountain Rivalry - Colorado vs West Virginia

If Big 12 is smart they are aggressively pursuing Arizona....that would be the key to getting Washington/Oregon to move. Neither of those teams who want to compete nationally could stay in that conference with 8 members and likely additions of SMU/SDSU. 

CTJ already said that Oregon is losing some recruits because of uncertainty

21 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

The Colorado thing is low-key hilarious.  They spent decades pining for the Pac-10.  I mean, even before it was the Big XII, Colorado made noises about leaving the Big8 to join the Pac-10. 

And then, having gotten their great wish, the Pac-whatever barely lasts a decade with Colorado in it, and Colorado has to come scurrying back to the Big XII.  But it's not really the Big XII they left--now there's no Texas; no Oklahoma; not to mention no Nebraska and no aggy.

But at least they'll get BYU and UCF on their conference schedule.  So that's nice.

2D40D2A3-DAA2-4775-B89A-C9F9D84624D3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I would swap Missouri and Aggy, but otherwise agree with this analysis.

There’s no way Missouri fans like their situation more than what they could have if they were in the new Big 12.  Aggy hasn’t gotten better, but I think they’re actually happy.

WVU was in a no-win spot.  Unlike a Maryland or Nebraska, they HAD to move.  It hasn’t worked very well, but they likely would be completely fucked had they stuck around for the AAC voluntarily.

I feel like people are forgetting just how terrible A&M was during their last 15 years or so in the Big 12. The Fran and Sherman years were not good for them. They have had a couple of very good (for them) years in the SEC.

Missouri has won the SEC East twice. That's no less successful than they were in the Big 12 and they have predictably reverted to their norm post-Pinkel.

The only school that has been a hilarious failure is Nebraska.

18 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I feel like people are forgetting just how terrible A&M was during their last 15 years or so in the Big 12. The Fran and Sherman years were not good for them. They have had a couple of very good (for them) years in the SEC.

Missouri has won the SEC East twice. That's no less successful than they were in the Big 12 and they have predictably reverted to their norm post-Pinkel.

The only school that has been a hilarious failure is Nebraska.

Missouri has gotten really apathetic.  Their fans really don't give a fuck about that schedule.  Not that they were super fiery in the Big 12 days, but I guarantee having KU, KSU, ISU, OSU, etc into Faurot would lead to better attendance.

Plus, Georgia woke up.  They stepped into an absolute morass of an SEC East back in 2012.

9 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

The PAC makes a better case study.

They could only do so much, though.  Football rules everything, for better or worse, and they have 11 schools with no histories, small fan bases, with some completely ambivalent to football.  Throw in the time zone issues and that region of the country isn't as interested in football as the rest of the country and there's no way they'd get a large TV deal.  They were right to go after OU and Texas and after that failed, the writing was kind of on the wall.

11 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I honestly don't see how aggy can be viewed as any less competitive in the SEC than they were in the Big 12.

Aggy could actually get into the conference championship game in the Big XII (and did).  But they're not sniffing that in the SEC.

Aggy was the Big XII equivalent to Auburn in the SEC.  They're decidedly below the top two in their division.  But in the right set of circumstances, they'll make a run and get into the conference championship game.

And that is a lot better than being Aggy in the SEC today.

11 hours ago, slorch said:

All evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.

Texas could've left the Big XII anytime it wanted.  The notion that it needed a tittyflash from ESPN to do so is absurd.  All Texas would've had to do is ask ESPN to take its top off, and Texas would've instantly been 

motorboating GIF

The fact is that Texas rejected offers from the ACC and Pac, and pointedly did not seek out offers from the SEC and B1G, over the past 20 years.  Texas even took a pay cut to keep this conference together.  The reason the Big XII exists today is due entirely to Texas.

But sure--you keep up your little victimhood story in your mind if that makes you feel better.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

All evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.

Texas could've left the Big XII anytime it wanted.  The notion that it needed a tittyflash from ESPN to do so is absurd.  All Texas would've had to do is ask ESPN to take its top off, and Texas would've instantly been 

motorboating GIF

The fact is that Texas rejected offers from the ACC and Pac, and pointedly did not seek out offers from the SEC and B1G, over the past 20 years.  Texas even took a pay cut to keep this conference together.  The reason the Big XII exists today is due entirely to Texas.

But sure--you keep up your little victimhood story in your mind if that makes you feel better.

4 of us were going to the Pac 10 until the tittyflash.  Whatever the fuck else you are saying here is just Texas fandom bullshit.

Nobody doubted your fucking sovereignty.  Holy furk.

Edited by slorch

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Went over to a CU board and watching their fans shit on the Big 12 is something.  I think Surly has a higher opinion of the league.

I'm sure they think they're worthy of a Big 10 invite. I'm sure CU will look to jump to that conference in 8.5 years. 

21 minutes ago, slorch said:

4 of us were going to the Pac 10 until the tittyflash.  Whatever the fuck else you are saying here is just Texas fandom bullshit.

Nobody doubted your fucking sovereignty.  Holy furk.

We weren't going to the Pac, bro.  Their offer was never particularly competitive.  They wanted a "merger" without an actual merger.  Basically, they wanted to pawn off the Arizona schools on us so that we could play Championship to their Premier League.  A discussion based on that was never going anywhere.

We were a lot closer to going to the ACC.  And we were never that close to going to the ACC.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm sure they think they're worthy of a Big 10 invite. I'm sure CU will look to jump to that conference in 8.5 years. 

Everyone in the Big 12 would jump to that conference.

The difference is the other 12 schools know that they aren't getting the invite.  I think the CU decision makers know they aren't getting that invite too.  Until their fans get it through their skulls, they're going to be real fucking annoying.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There’s no way Missouri fans like their situation more than what they could have if they were in the new Big 12.

33 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Missouri has gotten really apathetic.  Their fans really don't give a fuck about that schedule.  Not that they were super fiery in the Big 12 days, but I guarantee having KU, KSU, ISU, OSU, etc into Faurot would lead to better attendance.

Sorry, but you're completely off base here. Misery fans just love love love the sec sec sec. It wasn't the b1g they wanted so bad, but they're quite content with the new doors they've been a mat for.

They haven't gotten apathetic. They are just as dumb and herp a derp as ever. It really is an aggy-like fan base in their delusion of what they think they are, vice what they really are. They wouldn't trade their schedule now for one in the b12.

2 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Sorry, but you're completely off base here. Misery fans just love love love the sec sec sec. It wasn't the b1g they wanted so bad, but they're quite content with the new doors they've been a mat for.

They haven't gotten apathetic. They are just as dumb and herp a derp as ever. It really is an aggy-like fan base in their delusion of what they think they are, vice what they really are. They wouldn't trade their schedule now for one in the b12.

They didn't sell out against #1 Georgia last year.

5 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Their awful teams weren't selling out games in the Big 12, either.

I mean, it's hard to get a bigger game on your schedule and it didn't move the needle that much.

Missouri in the SEC will always seem like a weird fit to me.  Aggy does not.  Missouri is much more like the Big 12 schools than Aggy is, and they're completely forgotten about in the SEC shuffle.  That's only going to get worse.

However mediocre Aggy might get, there's always enough of them to matter in some sense.  They have the resources to compete.  Missouri doesn't.  Their ceiling in the future is going to be 8 wins, and they're never going to compete for an SEC title. 

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I mean, it's hard to get a bigger game on your schedule and it didn't move the needle that much.

Missouri in the SEC will always seem like a weird fit to me.  Aggy does not.  Missouri is much more like the Big 12 schools than Aggy is, and they're completely forgotten about in the SEC shuffle.  That's only going to get worse.

However mediocre Aggy might get, there's always enough of them to matter in some sense.  They have the resources to compete.  Missouri doesn't.  Their ceiling in the future is going to be 8 wins, and they're never going to compete for an SEC title. 

They've already played in the title game twice. And their historic ceiling in the Big 8 and Big 12 was about 8 wins. This is a program that hasn't won a conference championship since the 60s. Pinkel had them playing above their ceiling, but since he left, they have been back to normal.

And yet they still have no desire to walk it back to the b12.

They really aren’t an odd fit. Being in the East has been a bit odd by geography, but still overall they’re where they want to be overall. Not that it means they deserve it, they really didn’t, but the SEC needed some more middling programs to keep the big boys records inflated.

They are who they are, and always have been. Conference move didn’t change that. 

7 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

And yet they still have no desire to walk it back to the b12.

They really aren’t an odd fit. Being in the East has been a bit odd by geography, but still overall they’re where they want to be overall. Not that it means they deserve it, they really didn’t, but the SEC needed some more middling programs to keep the big boys records inflated.

They are who they are, and always have been. Conference move didn’t change that. 

The SEC was cashing out on cable subscriptions too, and St Louis/KC wasn't bad to have in the fold.

45 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

We weren't going to the Pac, bro.  Their offer was never particularly competitive.  They wanted a "merger" without an actual merger.  Basically, they wanted to pawn off the Arizona schools on us so that we could play Championship to their Premier League.  A discussion based on that was never going anywhere.

We were a lot closer to going to the ACC.  And we were never that close to going to the ACC.

Yes, that's accurate.  The Pac-10 had a wild misunderstanding of who had the leverage and why.  They thought OU and Texas needed them and it was the other way around.

Also, with the Colorado discussion, they barely move the needle in the Denver market.  Denver cares about the Broncos, now the Nuggets, and skiing.  They're not competitive in the major sports both on the field and financially.  To be honest, I'm not sure why the new Big 12 is taking them.  They're another mouth to feed whereas those 4 schools they just brought in all bring something to the table.  

6 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yes, that's accurate.  The Pac-10 had a wild misunderstanding of who had the leverage and why.  They thought OU and Texas needed them and it was the other way around.

Also, with the Colorado discussion, they barely move the needle in the Denver market.  Denver cares about the Broncos, now the Nuggets, and skiing.  They're not competitive in the major sports both on the field and financially.  To be honest, I'm not sure why the new Big 12 is taking them.  They're another mouth to feed whereas those 4 schools they just brought in all bring something to the table.  

For the next two years, Colorado is one of the biggest stories in college football.  So at least during their first year in the conference, they're a big draw.

After that, it all depends on how the Deion Sanders experiment goes.  If Coach Prime crashes and burns like so many of us expect, then Colorado will revert to its usual form.  And in that event, you're right--they aren't an engine; they're a waterskier.  And that's a problem for a conference that just lost its two biggest engines and has a whole bunch of skiers.

So at least in the short- and medium-term, the success or failure of this move for the conference is entirely dependent on the success of Deion Sanders at Colorado.

And I gotta tell you--that's not where I'd be putting my money.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I honestly don't see how aggy can be viewed as any less  more competitive in the SEC than they were in the Big 12.

Fixed it.

Their mediocrity, weirdness and delusion remain the same regardless of conference affiliation.

21 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It goes Broncos, Broncos, Avs, Nuggets, Broncos, and then heading to the mountains. Deion is a story, but they really don’t grab the Denver market as it is a bunch of transplants. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Aggy could actually get into the conference championship game in the Big XII (and did).  But they're not sniffing that in the SEC.

Aggy was the Big XII equivalent to Auburn in the SEC.  They're decidedly below the top two in their division.  But in the right set of circumstances, they'll make a run and get into the conference championship game.

And that is a lot better than being Aggy in the SEC today.

I think calling Aggy the "Auburn of the Big 12" is a pretty generous reading of where they were when the left.

Aggy hadn't sniffed the Big 12 title game in more than a decade by the time they left the conference.  They made the Big 12 title game in 1997 and 1998 before Stoops took over at OU and before Leach got TTU going and Miles/Gundy got OSU going.  Once those three things happened, they never sniffed it again.

Their last 5 years in the Big 12 their records were:

7-6, 9-4, 6-7, 4-8, 7-6

They had once decent year along with two seasons with losing records and two 7-6s. They were clearly behind OU, Texas and OSU/Tech in the Big 12 South pecking order.

If we play out what happened over the next decade, it's pretty clear they would have remained the 3rd or 4th best program in the Big 12 South with OU/OSU clearly ahead of them and while Tech and Texas faded somewhat from where they were, we had Baylor ascending under Briles so there were still going to be a ton of road blocks from A&M ever sniffing a Big 12 title game in those years as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

They could only do so much, though.  Football rules everything, for better or worse, and they have 11 schools with no histories, small fan bases, with some completely ambivalent to football.  Throw in the time zone issues and that region of the country isn't as interested in football as the rest of the country and there's no way they'd get a large TV deal.  They were right to go after OU and Texas and after that failed, the writing was kind of on the wall.

They should have taken Texas/Tech/OU and oSu when they had the chance.  We would be in a different reality today if they had.

Larry Scott f'd that one up.