Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

51 minutes ago, MisterP said:

SMU did the 9 years of 0 fiscal benefits. Other schools are taking less. That is getting redistributed to FSU and Clemson. They buyouts are insane. ACC should stick together for a bit. 2036 will definitely be interesting. Will they get bought out a couple years before that? Maybe.

For the majority of the SMU’s history, they have “mattered” only in the sense that they have mass and take up space. The rest of the time, they were cheating their asses off while others weren’t, or at least not on their level. They’ve been fundamentally incapable of being a program that can wash its own face without being able to do shit that everyone else isn’t willing to do. 

More importantly, because this kind of nonsense comes up about school X, Y or SMU occasionally on this board - they’re completely irrelevant to Texas. Texas is going to do whatever Texas wants to do with roster building now that paying players is legal. Everyone else can figure out their bullshit outside of that vacuum. 

You don’t have to believe that, and that’s fine. It is nonetheless inevitable. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

For the majority of the SMU’s history, they have “mattered” only in the sense that they have mass and take up space. The rest of the time, they were cheating their asses off while others weren’t, or at least not on their level. They’ve been fundamentally incapable of being a program that can wash its own face without being able to do shit that everyone else isn’t willing to do. 

More importantly, because this kind of nonsense comes up about school X, Y or SMU occasionally on this board - they’re completely irrelevant to Texas. Texas is going to do whatever Texas wants to do with roster building now that paying players is legal. Everyone else can figure out their bullshit outside of that vacuum. 

I am a Texas grad. I have no infinity for them. I agree they have wandered the dark ages, for obvious reasons. Those reasons now allow them to legally be competitive using NIL the appropriate way. They are motivated. They are raising money. They moved to a real conference. I am simply pointing out they are going to be competitive in DFW but not necessarily with the BAMA/LSU/TEXAS level recruits. I will bet they pull 4 star and at some point a 5 star from a Duncanville or some such that wants to stay home and rep the city and get paid. Again, it wont happen immediately, but they have all the makings to get there.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Laugh of the day:  Texas just recently got license to build its roster as needed with player incentives.

1 minute ago, Frank Drebin said:

Watch what happens now it’s legal to pay and there aren’t just ten schools or so dropping big bags.  

Everybody needs their fall guy, or they did then.  With the money/ prestige at stake, there is virtually zero chance it was 10 or so schools.

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

Everybody needs their fall guy, or they did then.  With the money/ prestige at stake, there is virtually zero chance it was 10 or so schools.

While alumni gave $20 handshakes to players etc, there has always been an enormous gulf between the coordinated large-scale bag operations at some schools and the spotty officially discouraged misbehavior at others. When aggy coaches were directing fedex cash deliveries, Texas was making athletes report what they drove and how they afforded it. Now we are institutionally in the game.

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You're wishcasting again. 

The wishcasting is the notion that Texas athletics has been the virgin honeypot until NIL was passed.

Everybody miraculously behaved, while ignoring what was at stake out there.  Sure.

Edited by slorch

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

While I don’t think they’re a sleeping giant by any means, I could see SMU recruiting better than Coug High IF the ACC sticks together.

Better school, campus, alumni, recruiting grounds, and the ACC is a better conference than the Big 12. 

SMU is already getting better talent on campus than UH. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MisterP said:

I will bet they pull 4 star and at some point a 5 star from a Duncanville or some such that wants to stay home and rep the city and get paid. Again, it wont happen immediately, but they have all the makings to get there.

Christ, some of you could stand to follow recruiting a little bit. First - SMU is not a recruiting rival for Texas. There is always a little bit of overlap but there is much more with schools like TCU and OU.

Second, re: "I bet they get some local four stats at some point" you mean like this?

Screenshot_20230927_074859_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5940d1b4f46bb812443d26dbe60f22b2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Christ, some of you could stand to follow recruiting a little bit. First - SMU is not a recruiting rival for Texas. There is always a little bit of overlap but there is much more with schools like TCU and OU.

Second, re: "I bet they get some local four stats at some point" you mean like this?

Screenshot_20230927_074859_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5940d1b4f46bb812443d26dbe60f22b2.jpg

I only follow one recruiting year at a time. I am also supporting SMU's position. Go at the others. 

It’s funny. I got my MBA from SMU (night school), and I can appreciate some of their history, but I’m not really a fan. 

That said- I don’t get the argument that they are anywhere below TCU and Baylor, as programs, going forward. I don’t really see that the Big XII is superior to the ACC as a conference. I don’t see that the TCU and BU 46,000 seat stadiums make that much of a difference over SMU’s 32,000 seat stadium. I think recruiting is going to come down to NIL and SMU has a good plan for that. 

I wish the Big XII had admitted SMU, because now SMU is inviting the ACC schools in to recruit Texas. I guess those fools old SWC friends, TCU, BU, UH and TT, always mindful of the significance of maintaining old rivalries, didn’t want the competition. 

6 minutes ago, statsman said:

It’s funny. I got my MBA from SMU (night school), and I can appreciate some of their history, but I’m not really a fan. 

That said- I don’t get the argument that they are anywhere below TCU and Baylor, as programs, going forward. I don’t really see that the Big XII is superior to the ACC as a conference. I don’t see that the TCU and BU 46,000 seat stadiums make that much of a difference over SMU’s 32,000 seat stadium. I think recruiting is going to come down to NIL and SMU has a good plan for that. 

I wish the Big XII had admitted SMU, because now SMU is inviting the ACC schools in to recruit Texas. I guess those fools old SWC friends, TCU, BU, UH and TT, always mindful of the significance of maintaining old rivalries, didn’t want the competition. 

The ACC schools that could actually be a threat to Texas, FSU and maybe Clemson some years, won't be in the ACC very long.

57 minutes ago, slorch said:

The wishcasting is the notion that Texas athletics has been the virgin honeypot until NIL was passed.

Everybody miraculously behaved, while ignoring what was at stake out there.  Sure.

I disagree.  There were a handful of schools that were obviously paying big money to recruits.  Texas was not. OU was not.  Notre Dame and Michigan were not.

But when a recruit made visits to some combination of Oregon, A&M, LSU, Ohio State, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, etc., we all knew the score.

There is a reason Nick Saban is crying about NIL to everyone who will listen.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Who said Texas was completely innocent (boosters at least, the school was and is adamant about following rules)? You're just making stuff up which is of course your standard operating practice. The world is changing but you are clueless because you had no idea how it worked before. 

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Hasn't every school (or it's boosters) cheated some over the years?  Jesus, who gives a fuck.

We do. You wouldn’t understand. The last clean national title was Texas in 2005. The outright auctioning and buying of players had already emerged and then became the de facto way shit got done in the southeast, CA, and with ATM going to the SEC, soon enough the state of Texas. Schools that valued brand and academic rep did not participate. 

None of us who have been involved with this stuff at a serious level give a fuck if the rest of you guys believe it or understand it. But we do give a fuck about the reality then and where we’re going now, and what is represented on this board. 

Hope that answers your question for you. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We do. You wouldn’t understand. The last clean national title was Texas in 2005. The outright auctioning and buying of players had already emerged and then became the de facto way shit got done in the southeast, CA, and with ATM going to the SEC, soon enough the state of Texas. Schools that valued brand and academic rep did not participate. 

None of us who have been involved with this stuff at a serious level give a fuck if the rest of you guys believe it or understand it. But we do give a fuck about the reality then and where we’re going now, and what is represented on this board. 

My understanding, and I was surprised by this, that OU did not participate.

But the obvious bag droppers were LSU, Oregon, USC, A&M, Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, FSU, Ole Miss under Freeze, Auburn, Tennessee, Miami, and some others.  Not sure on Florida.

Texas, Washington, Michigan, and Notre Dame were clean as was most of Big 10 and ACC outside of those above.

I wish Texas would have said screw it and dropped bags, so I am not judging harshly the schools that did given the lack of enforcement from the NCAA.

Edited by Frank Drebin

1 minute ago, statsman said:

OU sure wasn’t as dirty as they were under Fairbanks and Switzer, but…

Big Red Auto- Bomar and the right guard may have been the only players cut loose, but they weren’t the only ones getting paid for nothing

AD Peterson was definitely paid for. His dad was taken care of, too. 

I think they cleaned up after Big Red.  I remember them being remarkably absent from the LSU/Oregon/Auburn/A&M clearly big bag type recruitments.

I don't think A&M got into bags until they got into the SEC and even then I think they were somewhat restrained until they hired Fisher and his merry band of bag men.

• Haha 1

Just now, Frank Drebin said:

I think they cleaned up after Big Red.  I remember them being remarkably absent from the LSU/Oregon/Auburn/A&M clearly big bag type recruitments.

I don't think A&M got into bags until they got into the SEC and even then I think they were somewhat restrained until they hired Fisher and his merry band of bag men.

Ok, then you understand that ctj was correct when he said that 2005 Texas was the last clean MNC. 

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Even in the 80's?  Wasn't every member of the SWC caught up in some kind of cheating scandal in the decade prior to the league's dissolution, like even Rice?

My comment was also more directed at the poster who seemed to be accusing Texas of cheating than the Texas fans defending their program.  I've never thought of Texas as some sleazy program who was out there money whipping kids prior to NIL.  My assumption is that every school in a power conference, and many who aren't, have had boosters provide some form of impermissible benefit over the years.

That doesn't mean I think everyone was like Pony Express era SMU or the SEC of the past 25 years.  I know those were on completely different levels.  Just that some level of cheating is universal and finger pointing about it in the era of NIL seems petty.

• Hook 'Em 1

Remember when Ramonce Taylor called the police after an apparent pasture party in Killeen got violent and had his Escalade’s window was broken.  Cops found pot in his caddy and his downfall ensued.  At the time I remember wondering how he could afford an Escalade on his mom’s Temple High janitor salary.    

I think our fellas were paid something for their efforts, under the table and not officially endorsed of course.  And not near what we can do now.   But just my opinion.  

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

My understanding, and I was surprised by this, that OU did not participate.

But the obvious bag droppers were LSU, Oregon, USC, A&M, Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, FSU, Ole Miss under Freeze, Auburn, Tennessee, Miami, and some others.  Not sure on Florida.

Texas, Washington, Michigan, and Notre Dame were clean as was most of Big 10 and ACC outside of those above.

I wish Texas would have said screw it and dropped bags, so I am not judging harshly the schools that did given the lack of enforcement from the NCAA.

Some of those schools went back and forth, depending upon coaches. Florida cheated their asses off under Urban Meyer. Ohio State didn’t get really dirty until Urban Meyer showed up. Urban Meyer was stunned at both the lack of interest and lack of infrastructure at Texas during his interviewing process. He told Texas brass that they didn’t have what it would take to win titles. And then he went to Jacksonville. It changed perspective for folks, and then NIL kicked the door open. 

FSU cheated and then Fisher kicked it up. ATM didn’t do shit until Fisher showed up and stirred the echoes. 

Saban cheated everywhere he’s ever been and turned it into a machine at Bama. LSU cheats irrespective of coach, same for Auburn and a few others. 

Disciples of Saban have cheated everywhere they’ve ever gone - Cristobal, Smart, Pruitt, etc. Kirby Smart just won two titles off the back of a closed game up until 2022 recruiting. He took the cheating to new levels.

Clemson ran their cheating through a fucking church, because of course. That became so well known that they’ve brazenly joked about it as a made up trope in public. 

Oregon used, among other things, one of their $9.95ers to launder shit. USC had a guy get busted doing the same. 

There were 12-ish schools, some rotating, that played the game that no one else would and they all benefitted from it. The walls are tumbling now. There still isn’t the parity that I think we’ll see down the line, but the cheaters are having to update their game to stay around the top of the heap. 

Watching know-nothings ignorantly bleat that “everybody did it” has always been simultaneously irritating and comical. When Texas folks talk about not participating in the cheating, it isn’t with a sense of pride. It was fucking painful to watch. The rise of the SEC is directly related to the rampant cheating and media members knowing what they’re doing and hyping the fuck out of them anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Some of those schools went back and forth, depending upon coaches. Florida cheated their asses off under Urban Meyer. Ohio State didn’t get really dirty until Urban Meyer showed up. Urban Meyer was stunned at both the lack of interest and lack of infrastructure at Texas during his interviewing process. He told Texas brass that they didn’t have what it would take to win titles. And then he went to Jacksonville. It changed perspective for folks, and then NIL kicked the door open. 

FSU cheated and then Fisher kicked it up. ATM didn’t do shit until Fisher showed up and stirred the echoes. 

Saban cheated everywhere he’s ever been and turned it into a machine at Bama. LSU cheats irrespective of coach, same for Auburn and a few others. 

Disciples of Saban have cheated everywhere they’ve ever gone - Cristobal, Smart, Pruitt, etc. Kirby Smart just won two titles off the back of a closed game up until 2022 recruiting. He took the cheating to new levels.

Clemson ran their cheating through a fucking church, because of course. That became so well known that they’ve brazenly joked about it as a made up trope in public. 

Oregon used, among other things, one of their $9.95ers to launder shit. USC had a guy get busted doing the same. 

There were 12-ish schools, some rotating, that played the game that no one else would and they all benefitted from it. The walls are tumbling now. There still isn’t the parity that I think we’ll see down the line, but the cheaters are having to update their game to stay around the top of the heap. 

Watching know-nothings ignorantly bleat that “everybody did it” has always been simultaneously irritating and comical. When Texas folks talk about not participating in the cheating, it isn’t with a sense of pride. It was fucking painful to watch. The rise of the SEC is directly related to the rampant cheating and media members knowing what they’re doing and hyping the fuck out of them anyway. 

You mean Craig James and Eric Dickerson didn't choose SMU over Texas because of the quaint SMU campus? '

Wouldnt' shock me if Colorado and Nebraska rotated in some cheating.  Miami, FSU> 

7 minutes ago, Matagorda said:

Remember when Ramonce Taylor called the police after an apparent pasture party in Killeen got violent and had his Escalade’s window was broken.  Cops found pot in his caddy and his downfall ensued.  At the time I remember wondering how he could afford an Escalade on his mom’s Temple High janitor salary.    

I think our fellas were paid something for their efforts, under the table and not officially endorsed of course.  And not near what we can do now.   But just my opinion.  

Gonna need more than that.  Was it actually his?  What year, etc? 

Edited by closetohumping

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Even in the 80's?  Wasn't every member of the SWC caught up in some kind of cheating scandal in the decade prior to the league's dissolution, like even Rice?

My comment was also more directed at the poster who seemed to be accusing Texas of cheating than the Texas fans defending their program.  I've never thought of Texas as some sleazy program who was out there money whipping kids prior to NIL.  My assumption is that every school in a power conference, and many who aren't, have had boosters provide some form of impermissible benefit over the years.

That doesn't mean I think everyone was like Pony Express era SMU or the SEC of the past 25 years.  I know those were on completely different levels.  Just that some level of cheating is universal and finger pointing about it in the era of NIL seems petty.

Part of why some of the old SWC foes and the okie schools despise Texas, just part of it, is that we were at least ratting on all them to the NCAA. That was the 70’s and 80’s and early 90’s. 

Rice never got in trouble, I don’t believe. Texas got in trouble for buying Marcus Dupree a pair of boots and an assistant coach let a player borrow his car to drive home and attend a funeral. You can look this all up as the NCAA tracks it. 

At least we tattled back then. We sat back and acted pious in the SEC era. It did us a lot of good. 

1 minute ago, Matagorda said:

I think what is getting lost here is scale. Guys getting a favorable lease if they’re a star player happened and happens everywhere. 

When we’re talking about modern cheating, we mean parents and agents getting hundreds of thousands of dollars. McKinley Jackson was bought by ATM for $400k. A guy that we all know publicly very well these days at Texas was on the call with Saban in the Bama offices when the agent told them to match or lose him the night before that signing day. He told me the story directly. Cam Newton was publicly purchased for $200k to his father. Slick Willie Lyles made $80k off of Waddle and $25k of Lache Seastrunk, among others. Marvin Wilson was purchased for somewhere around $100k by Brewster and Fisher at FSU. The joke when he signed as a UDFA in the NFL is that he got paid more to go pro out of high school. 

That shit isn’t giving someone a cheap lease on a nice car or a $100 handshake at a banquet. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Matagorda said:

I think it falls into two camps - sanctioned and unsanctioned.  As CTJ indicates, there was rampant, sanctioned cheating across the SEC.  At other schools, you had boosters working behind closed doors, giving the schools plausible deniability when they turned a blind eye.  See the aggy escapades with Dickerson or other examples of kids getting "gifts".  

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas got in trouble for buying Marcus Dupree a pair of boots and an assistant coach let a player borrow his car to drive home and attend a funeral. You can look this all up as the NCAA tracks it. 

Hell, I’ve heard it told that Dupree walked out of the store wearing them and that Texas paid for them to avoid the ramifications thereof. 

Regardless, these kinds of comparisons are, as you say, not even apples and oranges. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Part of why some of the old SWC foes and the okie schools despise Texas, just part of it, is that we were at least ratting on all them to the NCAA. That was the 70’s and 80’s and early 90’s. 

Rice never got in trouble, I don’t believe. Texas got in trouble for buying Marcus Dupree a pair of boots and an assistant coach let a player borrow his car to drive home and attend a funeral. You can look this all up as the NCAA tracks it. 

At least we tattled back then. We sat back and acted pious in the SEC era. It did us a lot of good. 

I think what is getting lost here is scale. Guys getting a favorable lease if they’re a star player happened and happens everywhere. 

When we’re talking about modern cheating, we mean parents and agents getting hundreds of thousands of dollars. McKinley Jackson was bought by ATM for $400k. A guy that we all know publicly very well these days at Texas was on the call with Saban in the Bama offices when the agent told them to match or lose him the night before that signing day. He told me the story directly. Cam Newton was publicly purchased for $200k to his father. Slick Willie Lyles made $80k off of Waddle and $25k of Lache Seastrunk, among others. Marvin Wilson was purchased for somewhere around $100k by Brewster and Fisher at FSU. The joke when he signed as a UDFA in the NFL is that he got paid more to go pro out of high school. 

That shit isn’t giving someone a cheap lease on a nice car or a $100 handshake at a banquet. 

But but we were in the SWC in the 80's......

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I think it falls into two camps - sanctioned and unsanctioned.  As CTJ indicates, there was rampant, sanctioned cheating across the SEC.  At other schools, you had boosters working behind closed doors, giving the schools plausible deniability when they turned a blind eye.  See the aggy escapades with Dickerson or other examples of kids getting "gifts".  

There was an article disseminated around us message board losers that stated the SEC had unwritten rules, a pseudo salary cap if you will.  Also, think I heard on here, when we were admitted into the SEC, aggy said fuck dem rules.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/25/2023 at 1:42 PM, HookEm said:

Last year's Big 12 Title Game drew almost as many viewers as the Big 10 and SEC title games - and didn't feature UT or OU.

Conference title games aren’t a good measure of national interest because they are the only game on during those time slots. Play all the title games simultaneously and imagine the ratings. 

4 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Conference title games aren’t a good measure of national interest because they are the only game on during those time slots. Play all the title games simultaneously and imagine the ratings. 

I think the acc and big ten games ran against each other?  I think the big ten still beat the big 12 game, which was clearly more intriguing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think the acc and big ten games ran against each other?  I think the big ten still beat the big 12 game, which was clearly more intriguing.  

You also had upstart TCU plugged in to square off with the "big boys" in the playoffs, then lose a close game.  It was a more compelling matchup for many.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

This was true of the Pac 12 game as well and it did terribly.

The Big 12 will get good enough ratings to justify it's payout - the networks have years of data on games not involving OU and UT and when the other programs are good or bad to make an estimation of value.  It won't get near as good of ratings as the Big 10 or SEC and that's why it makes less money.

A couple games involving teams that have sucked this year on arguably the best Saturday slate of the season not drawing beyond their fanbases isn't (or shouldn't be) surprising to anyone.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas got in trouble for buying Marcus Dupree a pair of boots and an assistant coach let a player borrow his car to drive home and attend a funeral. You can look this all up as the NCAA tracks it. 

I used to tailgate with a player that was with Marcus on the "boot buying trip". His version is that Marcus wanted to go look at boots. They took him to Scheplers and he found a pair he liked and tried them on. Told them he wanted them and they said he'd have to pay for them. Marcus then walked out of the store, so they had to pony up the $$.

He said there were also $100 handshakes from alumni/supports after games for guys that played well.

/csb

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

Wasn't aggy using FedEx in Jackie's days?  

Would shock me if AP wasn't taken care of.