Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, statsman said:

Aren’t there some posts on this thread, claiming the strength of the Big 12 is its lack of just crappy teams?

Are the B12 ADs disappointed that they can’t extract more money from Texas? There is still o e way- if Texas makes the CFP, doesn’t the B12 profit?

There was a Bix XII ad during the Baylor game that focused pretty heavily on both Texas' and OU's championships and Heismans as proof of the conference's right at the big table, and then another ad that basically said "we're gonna be bigger and better next year without them."  Seems a bit inconsistent.

The thing about this “No Blue Bloods Conference of Equals” is that each member thinks of their best team in the recent path, and in their heart of hearts, believes that will be their norm going forward- a series of B12 championships and playoff appearances. 

In their darker moments, they will allow that, perhaps, things may go awry for a while, and their team may have to take turns at the top with other teams. 

None of them foresee a future of regular 25k attendance, ESPN+ and FS2 broadcasts, developing players for portaling out to P2 teams and occasional Conference participation in playoffs. 

• Like 3

I think the Big 12 will be fine long term.  Yes, the SEC and Big 10 will be the premier conferences and will be overrepresented in the playoffs.  But the Big 12 will survive because the fanbases care enough to make them survive.  And because they don't have any remaining blue bloods, they will have stability while the ACC is on constant poach alert.   

Last year's Big 12 Title Game drew almost as many viewers as the Big 10 and SEC title games - and didn't feature UT or OU.  Once the PAC 12 is gone, they will get a share a solid share of the corner school eyeballs as well. 

image.png.6fb0c7487b977a3f062c7fef09a6cf24.png

It is hard to predict who will be the dominant Big 12 team over the next 20 years.  Colorado looks like a good choice, but who knows how long Prime stays there.  Utah has had success in the Pac 10. It could be them.  Tech seems committed to the NIL game and seems better positioned than the smaller private schools over the long term.  And Kansas is on an up-swing and has the added stability of their basketball program.  Honestly, if their football has a decade of success, they would be prime to get poached by the Big 10.

It will be interesting to watch.  In the meantime, I hope we mud hole every one of them on our F you tour.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I think the Big 12 will be fine long term.  Yes, the SEC and Big 10 will be the premier conferences and will be overrepresented in the playoffs.  But the Big 12 will survive because the fanbases care enough to make them survive.  And because they don't have any remaining blue bloods, they will have stability while the ACC is on constant poach alert.   

Last year's Big 12 Title Game drew almost as many viewers as the Big 10 and SEC title games - and didn't feature UT or OU.  Once the PAC 12 is gone, they will get a share a solid share of the corner school eyeballs as well. 

It is hard to predict who will be the dominant Big 12 team over the next 20 years.  Colorado looks like a good choice, but who knows how long Prime stays there.  Utah has had success in the Pac 10. It could be them.  Tech seems committed to the NIL game and seems better positioned than the smaller private schools over the long term.  And Kansas is on an up-swing and has the added stability of their basketball program.  Honestly, if their football has a decade of success, they would be prime to get poached by the Big 10.

It will be interesting to watch.  In the meantime, I hope we mud hole every one of them on our F you tour.

AS you can see, the ACC and Big Ten were aired at the same time.  Not saying the Big 12 ain't the best conference top to bottom.

23 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

AS you can see, the ACC and Big Ten were aired at the same time.  Not saying the Big 12 ain't the best conference top to bottom.

That's fair.  Regardless, I'm not saying they will ever get the viewership of the SEC and BIG 10.  But I think they are in a great spot relative to the ACC and (defunct) PAC 10.  A lot of the viewership will depend on whether the champion is still in the mix or not.

If by some chance Colorado runs the table next year all the way to the conference title game and they end up playing a 1 loss Big 12 school (ideally a Texas school), the game will pull huge numbers.  Maybe even more than the SEC and Big 10 title games given the Deion hype. 

18 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yep, B12’s noon spot had no competition. If I was the ACC I’d be wanting to go head to head with them versus the B1G/SEC.

Also TCU was playing for 1 of 4 playoff spots. While the Big 12 champ will still be in line for a playoff spot, it’s not as big of a deal when there are 12 of them.

The Big 12 could continue their success, but lots of variables would have to align, the PAC crumbling makes it more like than not at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

That's fair.  Regardless, I'm not saying they will ever get the viewership of the SEC and BIG 10.  But I think they are in a great spot relative to the ACC and (defunct) PAC 10.  A lot of the viewership will depend on whether the champion is still in the mix or not.

If by some chance Colorado runs the table next year all the way to the conference title game and they end up playing a 1 loss Big 12 school (ideally a Texas school), the game will pull huge numbers.  Maybe even more than the SEC and Big 10 title games given the Deion hype. 

And eventually Deion leaves for an SEC or ACC school. 

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

Also, everyone knew Mich was going to plaster Purdue and that LSU, fresh off an embarrassing loss to A&M, was going to get smoked by UGA

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Calls out Corso and disses "Left Behind B12"😁

Why? Corso is obviously sick. Dickert calls him out anyway. 

Same for Lou Holtz and Day. 

Day and Dickert both brought it up on their own without getting asked a question about it. Why say anything at all? So their programs got called out by sick old men. Just ignore and be better for it. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

It is funny. According to William Cunningham:

In 1990, Texas was planning to accept an invite from the PAC-10, but the PAC rule was that the vote had to be unanimous. Stanford blackballed Texas, presumably over concern of a threat to their non-revenue sport dominance. Cunningham called the SWC office and said Texas was now committed to stay. 

Three weeks later, the Stanford president called Cunningham to

extend an invitation to join (the rest of the PAC told him he had to be the one to make the call, for obvious reasons). Cunningham said, “Sorry. We made a commitment. Can’t accept”. 

The PAC has been making really bad decisions for a long time. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

32 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Probably the right decision, still rather funny to me that its a bunch of "flyover state farm colleges" turning their noses up at Cal and Stanford...

Stanford and Cal made it pretty clear how they felt about being associated with flyover state farm colleges in 2021.  Really, we were just doing them a favor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Probably the right decision, still rather funny to me that its a bunch of "flyover state farm colleges" turning their noses up at Cal and Stanford...

kstate, iowa state and texas tech just don't want to lose to Cal or Standford they would rather lose to BYU, UCF,  and Cincinnati. /Timmmay the grifter

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Stanford and Cal made it pretty clear how they felt about being associated with flyover state farm colleges in 2021.  Really, we were just doing them a favor.

This. I don't believe the tweet for a second. They made clear they didn't want anything to do with us and would not have joined if asked. They were begging for a BIG invite and ACC was the backup. I don't think any polls were taken of the schools. We all knew they didn't want to join. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Is there an osu thread? Figured I'd just post in here.

They whole secondary looked drunk as shit out there on Saturday. 

Edited by 'stache

While I don’t think they’re a sleeping giant by any means, I could see SMU recruiting better than Coug High IF the ACC sticks together.

Better school, campus, alumni, recruiting grounds, and the ACC is a better conference than the Big 12. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

While I don’t think they’re a sleeping giant by any means, I could see SMU recruiting better than Coug High IF the ACC sticks together.

Better school, campus, alumni, recruiting grounds, and the ACC is a better conference than the Big 12. 

SMU will continue to struggle until they fix their stadium problem.  

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

While I don’t think they’re a sleeping giant by any means, but I could see SMU out recruiting Coug High IF the ACC sticks together.

Better school, campus, alumni,  and recruiting grounds.  

DFW is a more crowded space with TCU in town, plus Baylor, Texas, Oklahoma, Tech, and Okie lite all having critical lifelines there. Houston has no other P5 colleges physically located in the city, and generally has to primarily deal with A&M, LSU, and Texas.

4 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Ive never been to Coog High but that’s probably a fair point based off what I’ve seen on tv.

Ford has really good sight lines. Probably because it’s so damn small, but I’m a fan of the lowered bowl design. I believe Ford is around 32k. 

Coug High managed to create nose bleed seats with a 40k capacity stadium. That takes real architectural talent. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ford has really good sight lines. Probably because it’s so damn small, but I’m a fan of the lowered bowl design. I believe Ford is around 32k. 

Coug High managed to create nose bleed seats with a 40k capacity stadium. That takes real architectural talent. 

That TEDCUXYZPDQ Stadium is so weird.  On TV it looks gigantic.  But when you see it in person it looks like they took a 100,000 seat stadium and just shrank it.  All the decks have like 10 rows and all the rows are short.  

3 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

That TEDCUXYZPDQ Stadium is so weird.  On TV it looks gigantic.  But when you see it in person it looks like they took a 100,000 seat stadium and just shrank it.  All the decks have like 10 rows and all the rows are short.  

This. I’m too lazy to look up the architectural firm, but I’m just going to assume aggys designed it. 

y'all are crazy if you think SMU isnt going to recruit.

They just raised 100 million in 7 days from their alumni. Click Here. They are going to be extremely competitive in NIL. Yes stadium is shit but conference and money arent. 

They are in a hotbed of talent. They are going to get Dallas kids that want to stay home. They will even get the occasional kid Texas or A&M will want because they can pay them if they want to stay home and represent the city. SMU is also doing a great job getting former DFW kids out of the portal. 

It won't happen over night. But when Clemson and FSU and Miami are coming to town and they can DFW kids on staying home and build the brand, it will happen.

6 minutes ago, MisterP said:

y'all are crazy if you think SMU isnt going to recruit.

They just raised 100 million in 7 days from their alumni. Click Here. They are going to be extremely competitive in NIL. Yes stadium is shit but conference and money arent. 

They are in a hotbed of talent. They are going to get Dallas kids that want to stay home. They will even get the occasional kid Texas or A&M will want because they can pay them if they want to stay home and represent the city. SMU is also doing a great job getting former DFW kids out of the portal. 

It won't happen over night. But when Clemson and FSU and Miami are coming to town and they can DFW kids on staying home and build the brand, it will happen.

I think they’ll give TCU, Baylor, and Tech fits, again, if the ACC sticks together. I think it’s a particularly devastating blow to Tech recruiting. They’ll recruit about the same level of players, at about the same level of football, and said players will decide on Lubbock or Highland Park. 

I agree there will be some outliers. A 5 star SMU legacy will be a recruiting challenge for Texas, aggy, and LSU. 

39 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

They could, but it was a lot easier when most other programs weren’t recruiting with them on equal, or better, terms.

They won’t be recruiting against Texas and TAmU so much…I think. They’ll be recruiting against Baylor and TCU, and I think they’ll do just fine. 

I wonder which of these schools will be the first to figure out that the smart way to play the NIL game, if you’re not a top level funded school, is to focus the NIL on the top 45 players and not the whole roster. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think they’ll give TCU, Baylor, and Tech fits, again, if the ACC sticks together. I think it’s a particularly devastating blow to Tech recruiting. They’ll recruit about the same level of players, at about the same level of football, and said players will decide on Lubbock or Highland Park. 

I agree there will be some outliers. A 5 star SMU legacy will be a recruiting challenge for Texas, aggy, and LSU. 

SMU did the 9 years of 0 fiscal benefits. Other schools are taking less. That is getting redistributed to FSU and Clemson. They buyouts are insane. ACC should stick together for a bit. 2036 will definitely be interesting. Will they get bought out a couple years before that? Maybe.